Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Definitely woo the Harvest Goddess. Undermine her godly power with traditional gender roles!

Also, you should go for both dogs. How dare the game ask you to choose?

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mehuyael posted:

The last Harvest I played was Rune Factory 3, and it really had the problem of the bachelorettes looking way too young. Oh well, I think a couple looked adultish.

I played Rune Factory 2 once and one of the bachelorettes, I poo poo you not, carried around a doll and spoke to people through it because she was crazy shy. Even the loving doll acknowledged that this was an issue (Er...you get what I mean).

They seriously expected people to go, "Hmm, she acts like a shy four year old. She's my dream girl, let's have babies!" poo poo's gross man.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think sun bears have that chest patch like on the toy. I reckon those raccoons in Two Towns are tanuki, though; both tanuki and red pandas get translated as "raccoon" in America but raccoons actually do not live in Japan. Also, despite the rather inventive mythology surrounding them, tanuki are a real animal. I think the assumption is that all tanuki (and foxes, and cats, and a number of other animals) are mystical, but they're too crafty to show it around humans.

So if Alice is a bachelorette, will marrying her save the town, or will it suddenly make you sympathetic to her corporate schemes?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Kalon's God of War LP had a lot of great discussion about this, but the short version is that the really notable thing about Greek Gods is that they were more or less a cautionary tale of what would happen if you gave regular-rear end human beings divine powers (not like...on purpose, it just worked out like that now that we have the benefit of hindsight and not many people worshipping those particular gods anymore). Greek gods did what the gently caress they wanted, when the gently caress they wanted, and drat the consequences because I'm a god and your dumb rear end is a greasy pile of ash now. They were also spiteful as hell; not doing their will because their will was physically impossible, or even because another god directly intervened to prevent you, was still your fault and you would be punished just the same as if you were a lazy slacker who didn't bother.

Basically what I'm saying is the people of the Harvest Moon series should count themselves lucky they only have ONE goddess.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Giant pandas can basically derive energy from bamboo because of some gut flora they lucked into at some point in their evolutionary past. These flora can process a few of the starches and whatnot in bamboo into something pandas can digest; and by "a few" I mean "barely any". Bamboo passes through a panda's gut basically untouched-their poop is bright green because for the most part it's just untouched bamboo that spent a few hours soaking in acid and bile.

As far as I'm aware, red pandas, which the giant panda was named after but otherwise has no relation to the bicolor bear, are a completely different ball of fluff and aren't in any danger of starving themselves into extinction. They also eat bamboo and are lazy as gently caress because of it, but it's built in, as it were; they eat other things too to keep from starving to death. You don't see 'em too often in fiction; they tend to get localized as "raccoons" since they're not well-known outside of Asia, which is a tragedy because they're so loving cute.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I vote we marry Kana the animal man.

As for me I got a full complement of pets (plus an extra...cat, I think, I had a pretty healthy quantity of chickens) but that's because I am flagrantly a risk case for pet hoarding.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think Nomad is suggesting that you were going to play the entire game each time.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Glaive17 posted:

This is something that always bothered me while playing this: They do a grand introduction for the Gourmet Pierre, and they say "Give him a warm welcome!"...

And everybody is completely silent. And they just STARE at him as he walks in. It just feels so awkward.

...And they do it EVERY SINGLE COOKING FESTIVAL, same introduction and everything. Like, what even is that? Why not at least a canned applause or something?

I like to think they were reacting to the fact that an apparently respected food critic is clearly just a ten-year-old in his dad's suit. I mean okay yeah anime but holy cow, if this guy were any more babyfaced the cooking contest's themes would be "milkies, vegetable puree, teething rusks, and cheerios".

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
"Don't eat my plants, dog." Please don't feed plants to dogs, it is usually bad for them. Speaking of, I want to say the "useless" fish are for feeding to the dog so you don't feel like you have to burn something you were going to actually use, since I would imagine feeding the dog meat would be somewhere in the neighborhood of common sense.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Also according to Google, breadfruit smells kind of yeasty like bread. It also tastes like undercooked potatoes; or in other words, unless you add something to it, it's profoundly bland and depressing to eat.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I messed with ToTT a bit once. Never got very far because I had other poo poo going on, but I looked up some stuff and it said that Eileen offers tunnel-clearing requests when the mayors' friendship reaches certain thresholds, so the better you do in the festivals, the quicker the tunnel will be finished.

As for the recipes I'm presuming that for something like boiled pumpkin you're not learning how to boil pumpkin, you're learning when to STOP boiling pumpkin.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Oh yeah, I vote Weasel, Bird, and Fish.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I leave the onion out of almost every recipe I make and it tastes just as good. I may be doing something wrong but my own experience kind of suggests that the flavor of onion doesn't really meld well with pretty much any dish unless it's completely blitzed into paste and mixed in thoroughly, at which point it's more of a seasoning. Most soups aren't, "mm, this soup is good, the onion really brings it together," it's, "mm, this soup is good, oh and here's some bits of onion."

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Regarding your cooking talk, I think custard has more to do with the texture and consistency of the eggs than flavor, it's just that most custards we're familiar with in the West are sweet dessert custards. I've seen a couple Japanese cooking channels on Youtube make something called "chawanmushi" which seems pretty custardy (kinda similar to what you made in the video, actually) and is generally intended as a light entree.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
As someone who is lactose intolerant, if you have to have some manner of milk substitute for something, for the love of gently caress go with soy milk. Everything else is worse. Almonds suck, why the gently caress are they so popular.

Like yeah soy milk doesn't really do milk poo poo very well but it does milk poo poo better'n any of the others...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Problem with coconut milk is it's got a ridiculous amount of fat in it, wonderful and creamy and absolutely 200% a terrible idea to put on your cereal. I only ever use the stuff for recipes that specifically call for it; it's called coconut "milk" but as far as I know they named it that more for looking like milk than because it was intended to replace it. If a recipe calls for milk I'll use soy milk instead, or go specifically looking for a variant designed around using soy milk. Like, I could probably make chowder out of coconut milk, but holy cow, I can feel my arteries turning to steel at the very thought...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I forgot my own birthday once. But I was aware of some presents sitting on an end table in the living room and they all seemed to be for me, so I spent the whole day thinking it was sort of a lovely Christmas for everyone else.

This story has a punchline and it's that I was born in June.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Regarding Ponta's invisibleosity, insofar as I understand Japanese mythology on the subject, there's no such thing as a "regular tanuki" and a "magical tanuki." All tanuki are magic and therefore if Ponta doesn't want anyone else to know he's lurking around then by his ridiculous testicles they won't.

Additionally: A mimosa is, I believe, orange juice and champagne. Bibimbap is delicious. Also Korean.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 4, 2016

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'm with Thorn 'n Travis on the topic of pandas, actually. Bamboo is kind of a vicious cycle at this point; they eat bamboo because they don't have the energy to catch prey, but they don't have the energy for hunting because all they eat is bamboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Hey Olivia, guess what it's called when the moon looks orange?

• Locked thread