Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally caught up, but goddamn. The dressing down Chuck gives Jimmy is so absolutely brutal and McKean and Odenkirk sell every bit of it. What a fantastic episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wouldn't mind if more BB actors showed up, but I would prefer that BCS just shows us Mike and Jimmy's lives before Walt even cooks his first batch. I already know the Walter White story, I don't need to revisit it. Show me Jimmy's transformation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Starring Bob Odenkirk as Walter White and Jonathan Banks as Walt Jr.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's not really entertaining bad, it's just boring bad. It also wastes the Lone Gunmen, which should be a cardinal sin. It's really just the writer's room realizing that FPSs were a thing and pounding out a script in a weekend. It's bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really hope Josh H. wins, just to make everyone mad. It's so half-assed. :laugh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

monster on a stick posted:

Kim. Skaters are in second place for the eyes.

My favorite is Jimmy having an aneurysm at his desk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
New poster for Season 2

Show comes back 2/15

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Return of the DOG HOUSE yeah son

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ha, yes, refusing Gretchen and Elliot's money and choosing to cook meth instead was completely out of Walt's control.

Walt is actually given two options in the first three episodes that would have saved every single other character any death or hardship; Jr gets pissed and yells "Why don't you just loving die then?" and, of course, the Schwartz's offer to pay his bills. Everything that happens in BB is a direct result of Walt's hubris.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jimmy finding out about Chuck's betrayal and confronting him is a fantastic bit of acting from Odenkirk and McKean. I love the Jimmy/Saul character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
When it was first announced, I think some of the sites reporting the news described it as a "wacky client of the week" type show, so that's what I assumed until production started and word started getting out regarding the tone of the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't know how anyone can watch that. Hardwick is obnoxious and rarely has anything interesting to say about the show. He was the same on Talking Bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not enough Mike, but a drat good season opener. KENWINS and the cop from Breaking Bad were used pretty effectively without making the show's universe feel too small. Love the paintings of the guy mid-slip and the empty, disconnected boxcar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm a lawyer and I don't know what you're talking about.

You have to be a criminal lawyer to get it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How the gently caress was that cop in Price's apartment and also at Walt's house when Skyler called them about him breaking in at the same time? Is this going to be a sci-fi show now?

One word: twins.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sometimes things are metaphors. Sometimes disobeying a sign represents a tiny pathetic act of rebellion when you've been pressured into taking a job that'll force you to conform.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gene's moustache is uneven. Thoughts?!??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Real talk: I wonder if we'll ever see Gus on BCS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love Gus and Giancarlo Esposito is a fantastic actor, but I'd be worried about his storyline overshadowing whatever Jimmy/Saul is up to if he were to appear on the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah you see his Cinnabon name tag in the series premiere.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nah, stockbrokers are just naturally scummy like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Walt is actually at the bank to get a cashiers check to pay for cancer treatment. It's part of why KENWINS pisses him off so much. This douche is talking about leveraging his importance at his job for a bigger raise while he drives a nice BMW. Meanwhile Walt is bankrupting his family for treatment to keep himself alive long enough to cook (this is before Walt and Jesse make their big sale to Tuco IIRC).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

echronorian posted:

I don't really want to compare it to Breaking Bad just because it's an obvious comparison but it seems to be really common in this thread so I guess I'll go with it? I watched BB from the show premiere airing til the series finale, and I've watched it at least ten times on Netflix, and all that said there are huge boring patches throughout it. Season 2 especially tripped all over itself.

Honestly asking, why do you think that is? I've watched the show about as much as you have, but I feel that everything up til Gus's death is perfectly paced. For me, the show stumbles once Walt becomes the antagonist and you start the Vamanos Pest episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

beep by grandpa posted:

Honestly the only adult in all of Breaking Bad who did absolutely nothing worth any karmic retribution but still got punished was Marie. Everyone else had dirty hands, even Hank.

Possibly Jane's father's soul is clean too but his only sin was letting Jane manipulate him one last time when he should have known better rather than any selfish decision on his part.

Walt Jr.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

calvus posted:

He just seems to lack any sort of personality

Actually, his personality is the problem. He's the audience at a SDCC Doctor Who panel distilled into a single person.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe he should drink. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I AM THE ONE WHO SQUATS!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hamlin, Hamlin, & Marie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aside from squat cobbler, I dorm think Jimmy's taken a new case since Sandpiper (which they're building). Though there was a court scene when he fought the restraining order the other firm tried to file.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Except...there was a pair of legs strapped in. Like...human legs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Most of this thread needs to rewatch Breaking Bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
KENWINS is also one of the first examples of Walt doing what he wants without consequence. Walt also thinks he deserves more than he has, given how he cashed out at Gray Matter too early. KENWINS is a dick who has money and treats people like poo poo. He's the perfect person for Walt (at that stage) to lash out at. The character may be minor, but he serves a larger purpose and that's why he should be memorable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm sorry you don't like to think about character motivation. :jerkbag:

Let's get back to bitching about Jimmy's plot and debating whether the switch turned off the firm's servers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Karmine posted:

With regard to the Mike/Stacey stuff, the thing that keeps nagging at me is how in Breaking Bad they seem to have a very "arm's length" relationship with each other. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the only interaction they ever have is Mike dropping off Kaylee and sort of politely, but without pleasantness, waving at Stacey without even getting out of the car.

It'll be interesting to see how Mike goes from "I'll sleep on the couch in case some poo poo goes down" to "yeah here's your daughter back now I'm gonna go kill some cartel guys deuces."

e: I figured the guy offering "next level work" would be either Nacho or (less likely) Pryce, but I can't shake this hunch that the $200 bodyguard job was from Gus. Mostly just wishful thinking because I know Gus is going to have to be part of the story eventually and Giancarlo Esposito is loving gangbusters, but still.

I think you're reading too much into this. Having Mike have a conversation with her was irrelevant to those scenes and would have gone on too long. All you need to know is that Mike has a granddaughter and he takes care of her every now and then. Show him picking her up and waving to mom and you're done. Short scene, gets the point across, one less featured extra to pay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It has little to nothing to do with legal or ethical rules. He did something major without the boss's approval. That's the easiest way to get yourself fired from any job, much less a law firm in the middle of a major class-action suit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC we're guaranteed 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
We seriously had half a page of people asking if Nacho is a nickname for Ignacio. How sheltered are you people? Is BCS/BB your only exposure to hispanic folks? :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doubt it. That place was Casa Tranquila.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You could just pay attention since a character in the previous episode said his real name. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Stacey Ehrmantraut
Meth Tyrant Rue Scar

Stacey is face-off Gus gone back in time to change things.

really makes u think

• Locked thread