Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
All this talk of Saul offering up murder as a legal defense and no mention of Belize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The dangers of posting with an hour of delay...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

If you fast forward through any part of Better Call Saul then what the gently caress

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Did the writers ever discuss how they landed on "shady veterinarian" as Mike's intro to the Albuquerque underbelly? It feels like such a mad lib writing decision, but it honestly works as well as anything else would.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

"My P.I. charged me for three hours which means I seriously doubt it took him more than one." Even before Mike existed he was great.

Also, I may remember wrong but Saul never knew Gus as anythign other than a nebulous "guy", as in "I know a guy who knows a guy... who knows a guy."

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

It was in Granite State, the penultimate episode.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Das Boo posted:

There were a lot of intentional, specific bits of information in Chuck's monologue people are handwaving for some reason. There's no way of knowing the full story obviously, but it would be really strange as a writer to include all these half-submerged details and later to reveal them to be exactly at face value.

Or maybe Chuck's dad really was a perfect saint, Chuck is a pillar of honesty and Jimmy just stole 14k from his dad out of sheer selfishness. Why not.

While I believe Jimmy could very well be innocent of this particular charge and that Chuck's version of the story not being the whole picture means it can go both ways, a good brother skimming money here and there out of "sheer selfishness" is something I find completely believable because unfortunately, I've lived through my own thieving brother scenario. He wasn't and isn't a bad person but he had petty expenses (going out to eat, buying a little weed, things like that) that could be paid for by putting his hand in my coat picket and seeing if I'd left a ten in there or something. I don't know how much it amounted to until he finally admitted to it but one time, something like three hundred bucks that was left on top of a dresser went missing and I reckon I probably "lost" at least a hundred in loose bills during that time so five hundred bucks is a lowball figure. He's completely straightened out since and we never ever bring it up at gatherings, but my brother was and is a good guy who had a thieving habit. It's absolutely and completely believable, to me, that Slippin' Jimmy had a skimming habit he felt bad about (and when his dad died he felt really bad about) and cleaned up that aspect of his act going forward. And lest we forget, he eventually turns into a guy who's totally cool with working with a B&E crew whose victims' only crime was having bug-infested houses and calling the wrong exterminators.

Again, could go either way. Chuck is hardly a neutral arbiter in this matter and we know Jimmy is not an unscrupulous crook, but if you can't picture someone thieving cash from loved ones then, well, lucky you.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Ohhhh, could I tell you stories of thieving relatives. But this character isn't them. Thus far and up to now, robbing family goes against what we know of Jimmy as a character. For now. We've seen him turn down massive lump sums of cash "because it's the right thing to do," so we know he's not entirely without integrity. We've seen him work for Chuck's well-being to his own detriment. We've seen how much affection he has for his friends and how hard he works for their sakes. (He's hurt Kim right now, but he never targeted her. She's a kind of bogus causality.) His career has mostly been made on small time scamming from the bar crowd with his big claim to fame being 8k from his slipping scam. There's a big leap from scamming random strangers to sucking the lifeblood from your own father. We just haven't witnessed that depth. HOWEVER! The event with the father could be the driving force for a past character turn we haven't witnessed yet. But as of what I know of Chuck's character right now, he is manipulative, he is resentful, and he always assumes the worst of his brother. Again, based on what we know right now.

IT COULD CHANGE.

All fair points, and honestly I was firmly in the "Chuck's wrong about Jimmy about this" camp until I saw some people take Chuck's story as the truth and remembered The Case of the Missing Twenty from my teenage years. Still am, too. If I was the betting sort I'd wager Jimmy wasn't the one skimming, but my read on the character is that he could, possibly, have done it. As a youthful mistake that he regretted, but still.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you finished Breaking Bad not thinking that Walt is the worst person on the show (though not the worst character), then I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Well someone forgot about the literal Neo Nazis...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

If Better Call Saul is missing anything, it's having a lead who will forcefully push for the showrunners and writers to conjure scenarios in which it is natural for him to appear on camera in tighty whities.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This would make no sense; Mike's really the only one who knows Jimmy is "morally flexible", and like hell he'd tell Tuco that.

Tuco did witness him talking a death sentence down to a six month probation.

Still, though, in Tuco's mind that was just him being magnanimous and fair, like King Solomon. You can bet he didn't even notice or would ever admit that Jimmy nudged him towards that verdict so it's not like he's gonna think "oh hey, that guy who I talked to in the desert way back when, that's who I need, because as a Cartel affiliate I don't already have a lawyer lined up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Thread just went to Belize.

• Locked thread