Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

In BlueJeans you'll usually get the "X is talking" notification a split second before you hear them speak, which is sometimes enough to stop you from accidentally interrupting. Other than that there's no fixing how networking works, but managing those microdelays in your head is absolutely a skill you'll get better at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

cyberbug posted:

I started working from home on 9th of March and I have to say that pretty much all the teleconference/videocall tools suck rear end. Slack, MS Teams, Hangouts, Gotomeeting, all of them are so goddamn simplistic for actual work. Like, just to pull a recent example, you have 15 people join a call and the presenter says: "Since most of us haven't met yet, can you all briefly introduce yourselves :)"

- silence -

- three people start talking at once -

- everybody shuts up, nobody has any idea who should talk -

- :) -

there has to be a better way

why is everyone inventing vine or tiktok but nothing that would help us here

Your first mistake was caring in the least. IDGAF what happens on calls because:

1) I’m muting myself and only talking when I’m asking someone to repeat whatever question directed towards me because I wasn’t paying attention

2) blocking video because :lol: no

3) only listening for my name while I play video games on my other computer that is actually sitting in front of me

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Did you use a 3rd party dock?

My FWP is that I finally have a place with AC but it's very powerful and the vent is right above my desk.

Animal Crossing is very powerful indeed. I didn't know you could install a vent for it, though. Do you have to aerosolize villagers for it, or..? :ohdear:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Inzombiac posted:

Did you use a 3rd party dock?

Nope, only used what came in the box.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stoatbringer posted:

Dragon fruit look incredible but are extraordinarily bland and disappointing.

Get a cactus pear instead, cheaper and more satisfying.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bees on Wheat posted:

Animal Crossing is very powerful indeed. I didn't know you could install a vent for it, though.
It's in the console and can get surprisingly loud when playing docked. Definitely move the AC vent away from your head, even if you have to get a longer HDMI cable.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Love might be a burnin' thing but it shouldn't leave a fiery ring :(

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The threads I really like don’t get as many posts in them as I would like so I’m stuck reading threads I’m only a normal amount interested in.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The mic on my work laptop is bust so I can only contribute (which isn't often, granted, but when I do its normally something like 'actually they aren't doing X testing there anymore, patients need to go to Y) via the text chat on Microsoft Teams. Which no one ever has open and as far as I can tell there's no "pay attention to me" button. I'm not buying a headset, they can send me one if they want.

Oh and the E and F2 keys both come off regularly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I always make fancier food for season finales and somehow believed this season of Better Call Saul had three more episodes to go (they actually announced the next one will be 13). So I just ate a regular dinner without the ceremony :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone won a week long eBay auction I posted for an iPad by 1 dollar then waited 3 days to tell me they didn’t want it.

Thanks, idiot.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
The top of my new panini press doesn't pivot as much as feel like it should, so if I make my sandwich too thick, the top doesn't heat evenly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My house is too big.

We're about to have a friend move in for a while. However, whenever they move out, there's no way we're going to use all of this place.

2600+ sq. feet for two people that work all the time. No kids and not dog, yet.
1/4 acre in the city and a drat fine price.

But... I might get in shape from moving end to end.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Inzombiac posted:

My house is too big.

We're about to have a friend move in for a while. However, whenever they move out, there's no way we're going to use all of this place.

2600+ sq. feet for two people that work all the time. No kids and not dog, yet.
1/4 acre in the city and a drat fine price.

But... I might get in shape from moving end to end.

Indoor archery range!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There is a bug in my apartment. Tried smushing it with a paper towel, but it scurried away to god-knows-where.

Now, the only rational thing is to basically live in fear until it shows its face/body/etc again.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I’m trying to buy hair clippers and I’m so mad that it’s sold out absolutely everywhere because of people like this. Even on Facebook people in my town have obviously bought out stock and are selling kits for a $50 markup and above.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epgymw/resellers-are-making-dumbbells-and-hair-clippers-impossible-to-find-online

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Motherfucking plain white onions are sold out. How many onions are you using a week you cretins. Pork is also gone and i get it. There's a problem at the processing plant and pork might be hard to come by for a while. But how many onions can a person even eat a day.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mu Zeta posted:

Motherfucking plain white onions are sold out. How many onions are you using a week you cretins. Pork is also gone and i get it. There's a problem at the processing plant and pork might be hard to come by for a while. But how many onions can a person even eat a day.

I made breakfast in a haze and for two small omelettes, I used half of a large white onion.

Editors not: That's way too much onion.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bought a bunch of books for my birthday, thinking I would have some new reading material for my train rides to work once we're out of lockdown. That was a month ago and I've already burnt through one with a second book almost finished (out of seven), instead of just playing video games in my free time like I should be doing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have jury duty on Tuesday, I’m scheduled to be there early in the morning, and being furloughed has extremely hosed up my sleep schedule.

Preserving people’s right to a speedy trial with a jury of their peers during a pandemic is a whole other first world problem.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Apr 26, 2020

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently there was a cyberattack on the ordering systems for beer here and there's been distribution problems, which I guess explains why it's been hard to get our favourite beer for the past couple of weeks. The world is poo poo and we're sad and isolated, why take our beer away just for the gently caress of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend/coworker applied for a job with the state a few weeks ago, and got an email to do some online testing. Kinda crab bucket mentality here, because I want him to be happy, but gently caress, how often do you keep contact with friends you make at work, and then they move on to another place? I will miss him something horrible if he gets it, but if he does, it'll be great money for him.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend/coworker applied for a job with the state a few weeks ago, and got an email to do some online testing. Kinda crab bucket mentality here, because I want him to be happy, but gently caress, how often do you keep contact with friends you make at work, and then they move on to another place? I will miss him something horrible if he gets it, but if he does, it'll be great money for him.

this isn't a first world problem so much as it is a 'i'm very self centred' problem but at least you seem to sort of understand that

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No need to be a dick. There's nothing wrong with admitting they'll miss seeing their friend if the friend lands the job.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ulex minor posted:

this isn't a first world problem so much as it is a 'i'm very self centred' problem but at least you seem to sort of understand that

Dude, they're just saying they'll miss their friend. Don't be an rear end.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"You're going to miss your friend? Have you tried not caring about anyone at all?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The fact we don’t have a crossover where Thanos is teleported to the world of The Witcher is a war crime

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

A Thanos with only 2 or 3 infinity stones, not all of them, let’s not get crazy here

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Geralt of Rivia: 13 letters
Thanos of Titan: 13 letters

This can’t be a coincidence

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Lot of posters having strokes lately

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Geralt already has the thicc stone.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Which reminds me: the Witcher on Netflix sucked. For a show combining monsters, magic, tits, swords, kings, and dragons, it was incredibly boring. Only Sucker Punch managed to take interesting subjects and make them more boring.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I thought this deck chair reclined a little bit but it turns out that I have been leaning back precariously this whole time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

oldpainless posted:

Which reminds me: the Witcher on Netflix sucked. For a show combining monsters, magic, tits, swords, kings, and dragons, it was incredibly boring. Only Sucker Punch managed to take interesting subjects and make them more boring.

If you want that stuff Castlevania was about 3 letter grades better than I thought it would be.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've got some succulents that are super leggy (fancy term for not getting enough lighting*, so they get super tall and thin to try and get to the light), which I should probably do that thing where you basically slice-and-dice bits of your plant off to spawn new plants and basically start over, but I barely have enough room/space for the amount I have, much less "what if this one badly growing plant becomes, like, eight" room.

* Bonus FWP of "I have grow lights literally beaming on you, plus the sun, what the gently caress do you want")

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got asked if I want to return to my warehouse job on Monday, and I have no idea how I feel about that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unemployment is paying a little too well right now and wearing masks all day sucks.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mu Zeta posted:

Unemployment is paying a little too well right now and wearing masks all day sucks.

I haven't gotten unemployment yet despite applying for it. They're trying to resolve "non-monetary issue" that the website doesn't specify. My job said they'd be going through sick pay during the time off, so I put that on the unemployment form, and maybe I entered it wrong?

Still, I have a bunch of money saved up, and I live with my dad and sister so it's lively enough around the house and I have little in the way of expenses. I can go for nice walks in my suburb while still remaining distant. I was blindsided by the call, and I said yes.

I realize I'm complaining while being financially well off in a crisis, but this is the place to do it. poo poo, I don’t want to go back to work.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 04:05 on May 9, 2020

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I've been called back to work starting Monday, and I haven't fished all the spots I'd planned yet. I'm also realising that puttering about the house, dropping off the kids late and picking them up early was actually very, very nice and relaxing.

Looking forward to getting back and reconnecting with my team, but I feel like it's also a bit inconvenient :11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I took the covid19 test today and it kind of sucks. They stick a thing pretty deep up your nose for a long time (10+ seconds) and your eyes start to water. They actually give you a kleenex in advance because people apparently cry a lot.