Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I kinda have my own recipe for burgers, that I fell into based on what was at hand.
I do a pound of lean ground beef, 4 slices of bacon per pound of beef, and LOTS of salt and pepper. I grind up the bacon in a food processor, and mix up with the bacon and seasonings. This involves a good bit of mixing of the beef. I then cook smash burger style with the cylinder of beef, smash, flip, than a few more flips to get even cooking and a good crust. Serve with thinly sliced onion, mixed greens, thin slice of tomato, smoked gouda, and remoulade on brioche bun toasted in the burger fat. I really like how it seasons the burger all the way through. What is the reasoning behind not mixing salt into the ground beef? Is the improvement in texture worth the sacrifice in internal seasoning?

fr0id fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

that thread title, oh my

You should’ve left your original post here :pervert:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fenrir posted:

Forgot to add these last night,

The before:

The halfway shot:

The lighting in the place sucks, there was a little bit of pink in there but they did slightly overcook it this time. Still amazing, though. They have double-fried fries that are so great when you drip bloody grease on them. Love the gently caress out of this place.

Where is this?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Where is this?

Crave, at the corner of Western and Quail in Albany.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fr0id posted:

So I kinda have my own recipe for burgers, that I fell into based on what was at hand.
I do a pound of lean ground beef, 4 slices of bacon per pound of beef, and LOTS of salt and pepper. I grind up the bacon in a food processor, and mix up with the bacon and seasonings. This involves a good bit of mixing of the beef. I then cook smash burger style with the cylinder of beef, smash, flip, than a few more flips to get even cooking and a good crust. Serve with thinly sliced onion, mixed greens, thin slice of tomato, smoked gouda, and remoulade on brioche bun toasted in the burger fat. I really like how it seasons the burger all the way through. What is the reasoning behind not mixing salt into the ground beef? Is the improvement in texture worth the sacrifice in internal seasoning?

Salt denatures proteins, causing a change in texture that makes it springy and more akin to sausage than to a burger. Honestly, burgers should never be so thick that a liberal salting on both sides before cooking would result in a bland or underseasoned burger. Also, if you're grinding bacon into your burger, there's plenty of salt right there, so I'd definitely stay away from adding salt to the meat before pattying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Samizdata posted:

Pics or it didn't happen. And since you already ate it, you will have to make another one then snap photos before eating it again.

You conjure an excellent argument; I shall needs must see to this course of action.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Midniter posted:

Salt denatures proteins, causing a change in texture that makes it springy and more akin to sausage than to a burger. Honestly, burgers should never be so thick that a liberal salting on both sides before cooking would result in a bland or underseasoned burger. Also, if you're grinding bacon into your burger, there's plenty of salt right there, so I'd definitely stay away from adding salt to the meat before pattying.

I am going to test this out next chance I get.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Samizdata posted:

It's a HAMBURGER, not a CHEESEBURGER.

If you're going to be nitpicky about names, how much ham do you get on your hamburgers?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you're going to be nitpicky about names, how much ham do you get on your hamburgers?

Well ham comes from a pig, and bacon also comes from a pig so...

Actually I did once throw some canadian bacon on a burger. Wasn't that bad.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Fenrir posted:

Crave, at the corner of Western and Quail in Albany.

Holy poo poo, I thought I recognized that.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Really want to try this DIY American cheese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLiGq-IshQ

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Jamsta posted:

Really want to try this DIY American cheese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwLiGq-IshQ

Did I just watch a guy shred pre-shredded cheese and then mix it up with milk, gelatin, and a bunch of other ingredients in a food processor, and then call it "a little less processed" American Cheese?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I can't watch the video right now, but the modernist cheese with the sodium citrate can be used to make cheese sheets as well, using pretty much any mix of cheese you want. So I could do a sharp cheddar parmesan Asiago slice that will melt as well as process cheese if I wanted.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you should not use gelatin in your processed cheese to be vegetarian friendly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

you should not use gelatin in your processed cheese to be vegetarian friendly.

:frogout:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did I just watch a guy shred pre-shredded cheese and then mix it up with milk, gelatin, and a bunch of other ingredients in a food processor, and then call it "a little less processed" American Cheese?

Seriously. NO sodium citrate?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Seriously. NO sodium citrate?

So can you just shred real cheese with sodium citrate, then compress it into a block and achieve the same/better results?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

So can you just shred real cheese with sodium citrate, then compress it into a block and achieve the same/better results?

Dissolve sodium citrate in a little liquid, beer, milk, water, then bring to simmer, add cheese a handful at a time and stir/heat until melted and smooth. I always then just pour it onto parchment where it will spread out and set up, then cut it into squares with a pizza cutter.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dissolve sodium citrate in a little liquid, beer, milk, water, then bring to simmer, add cheese a handful at a time and stir/heat until melted and smooth. I always then just pour it onto parchment where it will spread out and set up, then cut it into squares with a pizza cutter.

Beer too? drat. Will give this a go!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Beer is great, but start off like 50/50 beer/milk(or water). I did a batch with 100% bock as the liquid, and while delicious, it seriously tasted like freshly-baked bread more than anything else. Was crazy and awesome, but not what I was going for.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Beer is great, but start off like 50/50 beer/milk(or water). I did a batch with 100% bock as the liquid, and while delicious, it seriously tasted like freshly-baked bread more than anything else. Was crazy and awesome, but not what I was going for.

Cheese that tastes of bread? Hmm.

Burged for dinner tonight. Jamsta Uglyburg special.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Is smashburger still good? Because I went today and got the avocado bacon one and it was dry and not huge and kind of bland. Plus everyone working there could not stop saying positive words and wearing management-mandated smiles.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Sodium citrate is an amazing (and found in nature, if you care) emulsifier. Makes cheese amazingly creamy. Proclick for mac and cheese or beer cheese sauce.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Cheese that tastes of bread? Hmm.

Burged for dinner tonight. Jamsta Uglyburg special.

So would.

Also, glad I could get you started on the joys of awesome cheesiness,

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

the littlest prince posted:

Is smashburger still good? Because I went today and got the avocado bacon one and it was dry and not huge and kind of bland. Plus everyone working there could not stop saying positive words and wearing management-mandated smiles.

the one near me just went out of business and I couldn't be happier that a new ramen place is moving in.
Yes I realize I am in the burger thread.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Burged tonight

At some point before the year's end I intend to post a good macburg, when I can get ahold of one.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This is looking great.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

the littlest prince posted:

Burged tonight

At some point before the year's end I intend to post a good macburg, when I can get ahold of one.

Ugh, now I want a Grim Burger from one of the places by me.

Mac and cheese, bacon, jalapenos, and a fried egg. Have a salad for dinner.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Hot takes:

If you want bacon on your burg: Just put bacon on your burg.

Burg should be served on plates and/or in their wrapper and/or trays, not imitation aluminum baking sheets and wire racks. http://wewantplates.com/

Char burg is best burg. If you had the misfortune of growing up without knowing the loving embrace of good charcoal cooking so that you worry things "taste like charcoal" I feel bad for you son. Your genes were encoded with millenia of wood fire / charcoal cooking, so deep down there is a primal urge to taste meat with the right kiss of woodsmoke.

This used to be one of the great places to go back home. Get a burg which was slapped together indifferently, a bag of onion rings that was already see-through by the time it hit your tray, and a peanut butter milkshake so thick you had to warn newbies not to collapse their straw.

Lest we burgshame, know this little bastard is always delicious and left me wanting another. Until I got halfway into the bag of onion rings and regretted my life. Amen.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ugh, now I want a Grim Burger from one of the places by me.

Mac and cheese, bacon, jalapenos, and a fried egg. Have a salad for dinner.

I do not usually prefer japalenos on a burg but I would eat that. Reminds me of when smashburger was good.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I still always get jalapenos when I go to five guys.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fenrir posted:

I still always get jalapenos when I go to five guys.

They use fresh jalapenos, which in my opinion are way better as a burger topping (when sparingly applied) than pickled ones, which add too much of a sour punch and overwhelm the burger.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Midniter posted:

They use fresh jalapenos, which in my opinion are way better as a burger topping (when sparingly applied) than pickled ones, which add too much of a sour punch and overwhelm the burger.

Fresh jalapeños are of wildly varying heat, though. Sometimes, they're mildly spicy, and sometimes, they're stupid-hot. The hottest jalapeño I've ever had was on a five guys burger.

Fresh jalapeños all day every day, is what I'm trying to say.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, jalapenos are weird that way. I love spicy stuff (granted I'm not some ghost pepper/carolina reaper type guy) but occasionally you get one that is like a WTF moment. As in feeling like it is about half as hot as a habanero.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That's kind of like Padron peppers. They're a staple of Spanish tapas and it's like playing scoville roulette. Some are like bell peppers, others will have steam coming off the porcelain the next morning.

Personally I'm not a fan of that kind of risk in my burgs. Give me a gherkin every time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Theophany posted:

That's kind of like Padron peppers. They're a staple of Spanish tapas and it's like playing scoville roulette. Some are like bell peppers, others will have steam coming off the porcelain the next morning.

Personally I'm not a fan of that kind of risk in my burgs. Give me a gherkin every time.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, jalapenos are weird that way. I love spicy stuff (granted I'm not some ghost pepper/carolina reaper type guy) but occasionally you get one that is like a WTF moment. As in feeling like it is about half as hot as a habanero.

I've taken to asking them to grill the jalapenos at five guys. Doesn't affect the random heat level, but they're tastier and have a better texture.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MrYenko posted:

Do one thing every day that scares you.

I day trade cryptocurrency CFDs. I don't need my burgs scorching my ringpiece as well!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've taken to asking them to grill the jalapenos at five guys. Doesn't affect the random heat level, but they're tastier and have a better texture.

This is the best approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Theophany posted:

I day trade cryptocurrency CFDs. I don't need my burgs scorching my ringpiece as well!

You...what?

• Locked thread