Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
me:
Fat
Poor
Spinning my wheels

you:
Fit
Wealthy
Has poo poo together, plan for future

Oh, so women aren't allowed to have standards? *Expands like a pufferfish to deter predators*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

do girls message guys on these or is it all the other way around
OkC used to troll their sites for stats and post graphs and such about these kinds of statistics but the answer to that is mostly no, with a caveat of the really hot young guys with profile pics of their abs. As a bi guy who is decent looking (tall and with enough athletic hobbies to stay in shape but not a gym rat dedication to looking toned), I get a lot of messages from guys, including the underwear model looking ones, but pretty much the only proactive messages from women I got were fatties or people who lived thousands of miles away who wanted to chat about an interest/hobby in my profile and even then those were much fewer and far between.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

midnightclimax posted:

Reading some of the sadbrains' stories felt a bit scummy, like reading someones diary. Then again, who the gently caress do you think I am, your mother? Are you looking for a date, or free therapy? Men these days.
Its interesting that this seems to largely be a problem for straight women though. Like I got nerdy gay dudes who couldn't avoid talking about larp or whatever for their first message but none that came across as looking for therapy. Similarly I got a lot of generic "hey" messages from dudes and various forms of "u want sum fuk?" But I can only think of a couple that got nasty if I didn't reply or said I wasn't interested.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

My friend complains about OkCupid because the only girls who show any interest in him are fat single mothers.

He never messages anyone himself because he says there isn't anybody good in the area. The man is a grad student who lives right next to campus. Granted the city is Riverside, CA so it's probably poo poo outside the campus area but still.
Tell him to message grad student girls. If you're in a university town but too old to date undergrads they are goldmine of 25+ women who aren't divorced with kids already. Another bonus is grad students mostly hang out with other grad students in their department (which they don't want to date for obvious reasons) and have a really busy workload that doesn't leave much time for meeting new people, so I find they tend to be pretty normal people that turned to online dating out of convenience rather than desperation.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

spooky girlfriend posted:

Does that mean "I'm fat, don't shame me"?
It usually means they've made a mental list of behaviors and hobbies that they associate with their lovely choices in ex boyfriends and will actively hold them against you.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cuckoo posted:

I've never discriminated based on pictures before but have noticed a startling majority of men who had a ton of shirtless pics up (regardless of attractiveness, though they usually had nice abs if nothing else), had douchebaggy profiles or were the type to message me saying "hey bby wan 2 see my dik?"

Personally all I wanted when looking up a man's profile were good facial shots and a body shot or two, regardless of clothing, just to make sure he wasn't a lardo

"A 19 year-old showing his abs meets just under 1.4 women for every women he reaches out to, meaning that not only are females responding to his messages, but many are actually contacting him first."

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-4-big-myths-of-profile-pictures/

From OkCupid stats these men do the best on average. If ya got it flaunt it, your average girl enjoys pics of abs as much as your average guy likes bikini shots.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

spooky girlfriend posted:

I guess it's a testament to how desperate the guys are on OKCupid if the girls can feel free to be as off-putting as possible and still get a bunch of messages.
Hordes of thirsty men stranded in an ocean they can't drink.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Ninja Pangolin posted:

My self-summary
I am a very very friendly person that is very easy to get along with. I really want to share that with someone else that loves me for me.

What I’m doing with my life
Trying to find a job

I’m really good at
Getting along with other people.

The first things people usually notice about me
my eyes and my personality.

Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
country music, and all types of foods

The six things I could never do without
toilet paper, water, air, food, cell phone, I pad

I spend a lot of time thinking about
I worry a lot about other people and if they will be ok

On a typical Friday night I am
I am usually at home or hanging out with my friend

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I have a lot of problems and I dislike myself sometimes.

You should message me if
you are interested in getting to know me better and want to chat with me more. And also if you want a real girl that won't judge or cheat.

Do you think flag burning should be illegal?
Yes

Do you think homosexuality is a sin?
Yes

Do you kiss on the first date?
Always

ArbitraryC posted:

me:
Fat
Poor
Spinning my wheels

you:
Fit
Wealthy
Has poo poo together, plan for future

Oh, so women aren't allowed to have standards? *Expands like a pufferfish to deter predators*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ZHamburglar posted:

What exactly do you do with a masters in Library Science? Do they know wikipedia exists?
Hopefully in college you at some point had to write a paper on a topic where you cited other books, articles, papers, etc, about that topic to back up your claims. You ever notice how much bullshit you had to wade through to get solid citations on the topic? Well you can pay someone to do that for you and those people majored in library science. They're invaluable to people who work in academia and research. Also if you know what you're looking for but simply can't find a copy of it anywhere, they can.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Quirky is one of those words you can only use to describe other people, not yourself. Its peak show don't tell situation, actually interesting and quirky people don't need to mention that about themselves its something you'll pick up by interacting with them.

I really don't get why goons are always so upset about generic profiles. Are you really not going to message a cute girl just because her profile says that she loves to laugh and tries not to take life too seriously? To me that just comes across as "hi I'm a normal person with dating options in the real world, if you'd like to get to know me better we can do it in person".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cowman posted:

Let's play a game, is this a bot, police sting or legit?

found her by just running an auto clicker on the like button in quickmatch :v:
You can tell how short on girls they are by their emphasis on couples, they basically want a guy to bring his hot girlfriend so they can sleep with her because no girl is joining that group by herself. People who refer to sex as play are also universally ugly and creepy.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I'm just not attracted to black people would be like saying I'm just not attracted to people who wear red or something. I guarantee you there exists a black woman out there with all the facial/body features you like with the only difference being skin color, and if you wouldn't date that person yeah that means you probably have a problem with their race whether consciously or subconsciously.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Well when given the choice between a fit and stylish black woman and a fat sloppy white woman I just naturally find the paler skin attractive for reasons completely unrelated to not liking black people. Once the skin gets too dark I just can't see a pretty face or a nice body anymore but I assure you it has absolutely nothing to do with conscious or subconscious feelings about people of that skin color.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

cyberia posted:

Well every girl I've ever gone out with that claims to listen to this indie / classic rock / blues melange, when questioned, has admitted that they pretty much don't actually listen to music and, invariably, can't actually name the last song they listened to or what their most recent 'favourite' song was.

I realise this sounds spergy and goony as hell but I loving love a lot of different types of music and would be happy to talk about how great Neutral Milk Hotel or Aretha Franklin are if the person actually knew anything about them but they don't; they're just name-checking a bunch of crap from their iTunes so they sound worldly and well-rounded.
It's like people who claim to like literature, list stuff from their high school summer essays, and then when you try to talk to them about books the only thing they've read in years is game of thrones, harry potter, or twilight.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

God drat, Internet dating for women is as bad as they say it is. Girlfriend and I signed up for that MeetMe app to make some new friends because we are antisocial loners, and her phone has been blowing up with offers of sex and if asking if she likes being tied up or needs a side boyfriend.

We are literally in her profile picture together and her profile mentions me.

Dudes are thirsty as gently caress.

(Slightly offended that the only person to be horrific to me was a 60 year old woman from Ohio. What, I am not pretty enough?)
There are pros and cons, on one hand you get to deal with creeps constantly, on the other hand a lot of guys end up super depressed after they try online dating and get literally 0 attention. I mean in your example for example you are presumably attractive enough to date your girlfriend and yet she's got a ton of interest and you only have one 60 year old lusting after your loins, if you both signed up when you were single and you tried to message her, you probably would have been overlooked.

This is why dudes should date offline.

e: A funny article about what it's like on the other side of the fence:
http://www.vagabondish.com/female-foreign-japan/

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Serious question: Why?

Why should I put in even a modicum of effort in the message given that you're going to see I sent you a message, are going to check out my profile pic and decide from that whether you want a conversation or not? If you like what you see, you'll just reply 'hey' back, and from that point game's on. But until you've shown interest, crafting a message taylored to your particulars is for uggos that can't cruise on their looks alone. :smug:
Two very obvious reasons:
1. Culturally, men are expected to be the initiator. I mean you could sort of argue that saying hey is making the first move because it basically translates to "hey i liked your profile, wanna start chatting", but it's kind of an inconsiderate first move because you don't really give them anything to go of or reply to. It puts the onus on them to actually start a conversation about something. Not the end of the world but you've added an unnecessary barrier to talking with you.
2. Assuming you're part of the 20s crowd like most goons girls get way more messages than dudes so you sorta have to stand out. I can tell you as a bi dude on okc i got a lot of messages from dudes and basically the only ones I responded to opened with complete sentences because you can afford to filter stuff like that.

If you're gonna send the first message send the first message, sending a hey doesn't really add much more to the situation than showing up on their list of people who recently visited their profile.

• Locked thread