Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Quake is just a doomier doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Jehde posted:

Quake is just a doomier doom

STFU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

marathon 1 is just plain not good, it's 2 and infinity that are good.

that may be so, I stopped playing partway through the first level. my point is that the lovely port sure as gently caress didn't help things.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Doom has better maps. Doom 2 has the SSG, better monster variety, and better assets for modding. Clearly, over 20 years doom 2 has won out for shear content. Quake is a miracle. It could very likely have been a piece of poo poo. Instead it's obviously awesome and stands as a testament to the talent of both john's before the split happened.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Eat my poo poo

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
nine inch nails

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quirk posted:

nine inch nails

they took out like most of the trent sound files from the quake demo to the retail game :(

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its fun. Death isn't the only challenge mechanic in the game, so its not like the game is completely devoid of challenge if you give yourself godmode. You can still race through the level to figure out the layout / puzzles as fast as you can, while killing all the enemies as fast as you can. And its quite fun.

I actually really love Dark Souls and games that do challenge you, and I do play Doom legitimate pretty often too. But sometimes, especially trying out really insane WADs, I just want to see the level and the stuff, I don't care to die and restart the first 1/3rd of the first map over and over to get better at it, sometimes I don't have time and I just want to go through a shooting gallery.

Games only have death mechanics in the first place because they were born from arcades where deaths made you insert more coins and use up credits. Games like Mario on the SNES and N64 have lives and extra mans... but they don't really do anything. Do the lives in Mario 64 accomplish ANYTHING? Do they increase the difficulty whatsoever? Nope. Its a totally vestigial mechanic that's just there because, well, that's what happens when you die. And if you get extra mans... that's good?

FPS games have already started to rethink the base mechanics. As much as the old school FPS megathread probably hates it, "bloody screen, so real" where you can just duck into cover and heal to full in most modern FPS as opposed to old school games where you have to manage health over a level with pickups can be really freeing and make the game more fun. Something like Doom or Shadow Warrior would be lessened by having no health pickups and regenerating health, but the Halo series is better off with recharging health, and having pickups in Halo 1 was awkward, which is why they dropped it in later games.

I've been wanting somebody to make an FPS where you can't die. Where the goal isn't to survive, but something else. Think of a game like Bulletstorm, you've got whole other motivations going on for killing and doing so in fast, flashy ways, do you really need a health bar in that game? Bulletstorm would be just as fun on godmode, even more fun maybe.

I want to see the FPS equivalent of like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or Jet Set Radio or something.

Harmonix' music-based FPS seemed like it was playing around with those kind of mechanics, and was pretty interesting, but I've also heard the game was kinda meh and is kinda falling apart / cancelled? :shrug:

Anyways that's a lot of :words: but I like playing Doom both legitimate and with IDDQD :shrug: To each his own.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

*Serious Sam picks up this massive post and puts it in his back pocket*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Modern Warfare 2 > Quake 3

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
actually with quicksaves I would argue that even on doom itself your life is not that important. And that's why I prefer fixed checkpoints, and not allowing saving wherever you want. I mean, most times devs don't take checkpoints into consideration when designing a level or area and because of that most of the time checkpoints are a problem, but I'm thinking more on the lines of monster hunter where you have to make an entire quest without saving but you can save outside the quests.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

program666 posted:

actually with quicksaves I would argue that even on doom itself your life is not that important. And that's why I prefer fixed checkpoints, and not allowing saving wherever you want. I mean, most times devs don't take checkpoints into consideration when designing a level or area and because of that most of the time checkpoints are a problem, but I'm thinking more on the lines of monster hunter where you have to make an entire quest without saving but you can save outside the quests.

that guy is an idiot and cant tell how giving mario infinite lives is different from turning on god mode in doom

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Kazvall posted:

they took out like most of the trent sound files from the quake demo to the retail game :(

gently caress news to me I thought that was just doom 3 and the alpha

also the big NIN secret in thy flesh consumed. NIN era id was the best era

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Health pickups? But then I can only regenerate my health at fixed points in the area after encounters, instead of... fixed points in the area after encounters."

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

*Serious Sam picks up this massive post and puts it in his back pocket*

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quirk posted:

gently caress news to me I thought that was just doom 3 and the alpha

also the big NIN secret in thy flesh consumed. NIN era id was the best era

lol I could just be thinking of doom 3 as well, but I thought there was some sound file changing from the quake demo to the release, where they took out or changed some sounds, but doom 3 they scrapped everything right?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Technically, Quake was better in every way, but it never replicated the feel of sp Doom. Neither did Doom 3, even though that was its whole point. So Quake for multiplayers, Doom for single players, and Doom3 for bitching about whatb a letdown this is

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Modern Warfare 2 > Quake 3

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Kazvall posted:

lol I could just be thinking of doom 3 as well, but I thought there was some sound file changing from the quake demo to the release, where they took out or changed some sounds, but doom 3 they scrapped everything right?

during doom 3 trent got screwed by his manager and sued him into oblivion killing any projects under his management at the time. instead the theme song was done by tweaker, aka chris vrenna NIN and marilyn manson's drummer continuing the tradition of ripping off popular rock songs cribbing a tool song. "the pot" I think

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

elf help book posted:

that guy is an idiot and cant tell how giving mario infinite lives is different from turning on god mode in doom
Actually yes you're right, he wrote a lot of stuff and didn't actually respond to the other post but the answer is clearly "to explore the level and shoot at stuff".

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quirk posted:

during doom 3 trent got screwed by his manager and sued him into oblivion killing any projects under his management at the time. instead the theme song was done by tweaker, aka chris vrenna NIN and marilyn manson's drummer continuing the tradition of ripping off popular rock songs cribbing a tool song. "the pot" I think

yeah I definitely remember all of this

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Syd Midnight posted:

Technically, Quake was better in every way, but it never replicated the feel of sp Doom. Neither did Doom 3, even though that was its whole point. So Quake for multiplayers, Doom for single players, and Doom3 for bitching about whatb a letdown this is

quake had the same level of intensity but compacted in smaller pockets because they were training you for multiplayer in an environment that used mlook for the first time in 3d. case in point, what makes you say gently caress more: a room of pinkies or a handful of those god drat leaping fiends or spawns or ogres actually gently caress every enemy in quake they all make you work to kill them

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Doom if you want to be a badass while blasting Slayer

Quake if you hate youself to A Warm Place

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Serious Sam: The First Encounter is the best one.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like just cause 2's style of regenerating health. it'd work pretty well in a classic twitch shooter if you guaranteed there weren't enemies around so people weren't hiding behind pillars like huge shitlords to regen while getting shot at

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Serious Sam: The First Encounter is the best one.

I wish Serious Sam would encounter a good game for once.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

I wish Serious Sam would encounter a good game for once.

Someone please buy this man an AV

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

:pray:

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

:worship:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

its the year 2015, has simeobe found out which free 3d models site croteam got their assets from?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Painkiller is like Doom meets Quake and its also named after great song so its an obv winner

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Faster than a laser bullet.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLN4WOS1Ts

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

laserghost posted:

Painkiller is like Doom meets Quake and its also named after great song so its an obv winner

YOu're retarded.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
*Moves from square room to square room for encounters consisting of hitscan and melee enemies* Doom and QUake just had a baby

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
painkiller is strangely satisfying but not a great game imo, it's fun multiplayer and the guns are good though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

painkiller feels like a quake 3 mod some nerd put way too much time into and even then it only turned out okay

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sir AIDS posted:

*Moves from square room to square room for encounters consisting of hitscan and melee enemies* Doom and QUake just had a baby

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Quake was better than Doom. Also, Dark Forces was better than Doom.
I haven't played any other fps games, so I can't comment on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Doom is awesome because I can easily replace all of the sound effects with clips of me imitating the sound effects.

e: Also q3 is loving trash compared to UT. Eat poo poo, dumbskull lmao

• Locked thread