Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

signalnoise posted:

How "mass" does this game play? I don't know poo poo about mass battle games and I'm looking at DZC to fill that spot really. But recently someone told me it ends up playing somewhat like a smaller scale game because it's still little mans, except your mans are tanks now. I have TONS of skirmish level games with 5-10 dudes per side. I'm wanting to make sure this is solidly in the "mass battles" category, of which I have no idea.

Define "mass". Do you mean "large play area"? "Huge number of dudes"? "Abstractly represents an entire theater"? "Rules allow and support scaling up of armies to absurdly sizes while still being relatively swift in game resolution"? Because DZ:C can pretty easily scale up, because resolutions are fairly quick (fewer than four rolls, reference two stat-blocks and one table at most) and you can smash together battle-scale armies to just make a bigger army.

e: i am contractually obligated to suggest playing a full battalion-with-vehicle-infantry-artillery-and-areospace-support game of Battletech if you really want to play a "massive" game

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

signalnoise posted:

What do you guys use for storage? These are some really wonky shapes compared to the standard infantry models I'm used to

Custom-cut foam transport cases are, as always, the gold standard for transporting minis but I get by with a plastic storage bin stuffed full of bubble-wrapped models. Thankfully, DZC doesn't have many models with delicate protrusions and Hawk's resin is what I'd call "surprisingly resilient".

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

time to post these guys again :smuggo:

That's really cool, what'd you use for the base and how'd you attach the marines?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Regarding possible Dropfleet Commander gaming mats. Could it work to get a satellite picture printed on a 4x4' mouse pad by some chinese company?

A British one, actually.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

If anyone has questions about list building, check out the free army builder thing. It lays everything out in a pretty clear way though some things aren't explicitly said. For example, a single battlegroup can't be over 1/3 of your total points. This is flagged if it happens, but the software won't tell you why it's flagged. That's all covered within the actual rulebook.
http://www.dzc-ffor.com/

FFOR actually does tell you why things are flagged, just mouse over the alert icon and wait for the tooltip to pop up.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

I've downloaded FFOR and it doesn't seem to let you have units share a dropship - if I select an Infantry section with the "2 Bears + 1 Condor" transport option, it gives me an error saying that I've selected the wrong transport option (even if I have 2 full units of 3 stands of troops each). Is this a problem with the program or is the starter box unit selection not legal?

You have to tell FFOR that you want to share the transport. You can set that via a contextual menu by right-clicking on the infantry element with the transport.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
If you have two commanders in your list and the higher-ranked one is in a command unit but the lower-ranked one isn't in a command unit, when using the lower-ranked commander to measure SoI for command cards do you use the higher ranked commander's radius in full or half it for not being from a non-command unit?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ugleb posted:

Angelos got cheaper and turned into a transport rather than support category. Honestly I'm not 100% sure I appreciate what that means right now.

It means the PHR can no longer take Sirens or Immortals in literally any army battlegroup (excluding air battlegroups). The PHR now needs to actually put Sirens and Immortals in Exoitc and Infantry selections instead of just dropping them into any open "Support" slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

These just popped up on the internet:

Oh wow, the Hera is going to be gorgeous.