Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Who can recite the most of the Great Gatsby without looking it up. Here I go:

In my younger and more vulnerable years, my father gave me some advice I've been turning over in my head ever since. If you ever feel like criticizing any one," he said, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had." He didn't say anything more, but we've always been unusually communicative in that way

That's all I got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

check your priv

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

check your priv

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

free avs for days

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Merk I am enjoying your posting this game. You should post like this all the time.

Come to the dark side, Merk.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I don't think he's scum.

Hey Keane. You remember how you have a weakness for always wanting to think Merk is town? Remember in X-men when I kept telling you he was scum and you didn't want to believe me, and then he was scum? He said he was Beast in that game too!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I find myself agreeing with Rarity and Kumba's posts about Merk. I'm not saying I'm sure Merk is scum. But I definitely feel it.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

wall monitor posted:

My ranking of current suspicion, from most town to most scum:

code:
Pinterest Mom
Rurea
CCKeane
Kubamontu
Poque
EXAKT Science
Rarity
King Burgundy
Dr. Hurt
Tremendous Taste
Merk

Yes thank you for the Lumpen List. What puts Poque so high compared to other people? Why is Pin Mom the totally towniest while Taste is down towards the bottom?

Do you think Keane is just being a "jerk" because he likes it or do you think that's trying to hide something? I mean he's like that a lot, but I feel like Keane is almost playing it up a little too much.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

Hey Keane. You remember how you have a weakness for always wanting to think Merk is town? Remember in X-men when I kept telling you he was scum and you didn't want to believe me, and then he was scum? He said he was Beast in that game too!

It's not so much a weakness as an advantageous strategy. Merk is a very strong town player and a scum player that frequently falls into a few pitfalls that I won't mention here. Especially early in the game I don't see the risk/reward being much worth it.

That said, independent of the strategy element, which I will admit does guide my thinking, I am not feeling merk as scum so far.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

Yes thank you for the Lumpen List. What puts Poque so high compared to other people? Why is Pin Mom the totally towniest while Taste is down towards the bottom?

Do you think Keane is just being a "jerk" because he likes it or do you think that's trying to hide something? I mean he's like that a lot, but I feel like Keane is almost playing it up a little too much.

I'm trying to avoid a night kill by playing coy and thus making the scum think I will eternally be on the cusp of getting voting, when in reality I am dancing a fine line between scuminess and towniness.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I'm trying to avoid a night kill by playing coy and thus making the scum think I will eternally be on the cusp of getting voting, when in reality I am dancing a fine line between scuminess and towniness.

But now you've given it all away so it won't work.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

But now you've given it all away so it won't work.

Next level, KB.

Next level.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So when Poque shot Hiipfire, I was thinking to myself that if I had a vig I would have done the same thing. As a result, I think that was a town move. If I was scum I think I'd want to save my kill for a better target than a town that wanted to get voted out.

##unvote for now while I continue to think about Merk.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Good lord you're placing the wine right in front of them. Keane I am playing regular type chess but you're playing that 3d chess like a crazy person.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

I didn't put as much time into sorting the top of the list as I did the bottom of the list. I didn't pick up on any suspicion from Pinterest's posts, and there were enough of them that I thought I could get a confident read. Taste hasn't posted very much content and he's pinging my radar on what he has.

Poque didn't ping as suspicious, and I'm not convinced doing a D1 vig is a good move for scum. It put him up on several people's hit lists, and he's probably going to get copped (or maybe just vig'd himself) before the game is over so euphemizing him isn't a strong priority.

I don't think i can speak with confidence about Keane yet.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wall monitor posted:

Taste hasn't posted very much content and he's pinging my radar on what he has.

This is astute, however in no way an alignment tell.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Tremendous Taste posted:

What happened to you actually trying?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rurea posted:

What happened to you actually trying?

I'm also curious about this.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dr. Hurt posted:

Good lord you're placing the wine right in front of them. Keane I am playing regular type chess but you're playing that 3d chess like a crazy person.

Some nerds drafted rules to this game: http://www.chessvariants.org/3d.dir/startrek.html

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Your conflation of trying with posting content is an understandable one, but in my case an inaccurate one!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What is on your pandora right now?

Mine: Not listening

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Calvin Harris - Summer

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpaNJqF4po

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Your conflation of trying with posting content is an understandable one, but in my case an inaccurate one!

So quality not quantity eh?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok, reread. There isn't a lot here yet, but best gut call on scum is still coming back as Merk.

##vote Merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Gotta add a meta point, buddy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

Gotta add a meta point, buddy.

I don't know what this means. :shrug:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane and Taste, best friends forever

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King Burgundy posted:

I don't know what this means. :shrug:

You can't vote me on gut. You have to say why my last game as scum is exactly like this game as scum.

I was scum in that CS: GO game. Go ahead.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

I was scum in that CS: GO game.

I feel like we were all scum there though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

merk posted:

You can't vote me on gut. You have to say why my last game as scum is exactly like this game as scum.

I was scum in that CS: GO game. Go ahead.

I'm pretty sure I can. Yup, I just checked, I did it with no problems.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

merk posted:

CCKeane and Taste, best friends forever

Hmmm I don't think that's right. ##vote merk

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

merk (5): Rarity, Kumbamontu, wall monitor, King Burgundy, EXAKT Science
Poque (2): King Burgundy, Tremendous Taste, merk, King Burgundy
Kumbamontu (1): CCKeane
Dr. Hurt (1): CCKeane, CCKeane, Pinterest Mom
wall monitor (0): merk, merk
Tremendous Taste (0): Rarity, Rarity
King Burgundy (0): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science
Pinterest Mom (0): Kumbamontu, Kumbamontu
CCKeane (0): EXAKT Science, EXAKT Science

Not Voting (3): Dr. Hurt, Poque, Rurea

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 13th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 20 hours, 26 minutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Hey Rarity, sorry to be a nudge but can you do the same?

Thanks.

Hi CCKeane! I sure can! But before I do I guess I should come clean about something. My case on merk is bullshit. I purposely pushed a lovely case on merk as a reaction test (thanks for giving me the idea). Mostly so I could get a solid read on merk but also to see what other people did. Here are my thoughts.

I think merk recognised my case as lovely but didn't make a big deal about it or vote me back for it which gives me a strong town read.

CCKeane posted:

Actually I would vote Rarity right now, that's kind of an out there case AND THAT'S ME SAYING IT.

CCKeane posted:

It's a questionable case that is strongly worded against a player that most scum players are wary of and would look for an opportunity to remove.

He saw right through the case and his suspicion of me looks genuine, another good town read.

Kumbamontu posted:

merk has the same sort of jokey detached tone he had in CS:GO mafia where he was scum, the tone is not the standard S.C.U.M.H.U.N.T.E.R. tone I am accustomed to when he is actually trying to determine who is what

that may still be because ~jokephase~ but it's pinging my badguydar cause of the comment of the game not going anywhere

Kumba jumped onto merk right after my case with a bad tone read and backed up my later challenge of merk's joke vote (a joke he should have got because he played in CS:GO). Reads like scum piggybacking onto my case while letting me take the heat for it.

Poque posted:

I dismissed it at first. But the vote against me comes across as more opportunistic when complemented with what you initially said. Like he was waiting for something to happen in order to manufacture an opinion about it.

Despite being suspicious of merk, I think this post is a genuine read of merk's vote from someone who doesn't know the history behind the joke. Also Poque's use of his vig is more likely to be a town move in my opinion.

wall monitor posted:

After more thought...

##vote Merk

This is weak bandwagon vote and combined with the earlier things I noticed I'm having a strong scum read here.

King Burgundy posted:

I find myself agreeing with Rarity and Kumba's posts about Merk. I'm not saying I'm sure Merk is scum. But I definitely feel it.

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, reread. There isn't a lot here yet, but best gut call on scum is still coming back as Merk.

##vote Merk

EXAKT Science posted:

More merk votes. I think Exakt is joking with his one though? KB goes through a lot of effort to set up his vote on merk, which doesn't read to me as natural. So all in all, this what I think of people from most towny to most scummy:

merk
CCKeane
Poque
PMom
Exakt
Hurt/Taste/Rurea (no solid read yet here)
KB
Kumba
wall monitor

##vote wall monitor

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Re: Exakt's vote: You don't jokevote someone who is already 4/7 of a way to a dunking.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Re: KB: That looks fine. I think usually scum are more concerned with attaching a reasoning to their votes, and town vote more freely. And Merk was acting weird.

(Though I will say that KB's defiant "yeah I'm voting this way" reads truer to me than wm's vote)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Kumba jumped onto merk right after my case with a bad tone read and backed up my later challenge of merk's joke vote (a joke he should have got because he played in CS:GO). Reads like scum piggybacking onto my case while letting me take the heat for it.

a.) I made my own case, I wasn't piggybacking on yours
2,) It's not a bad tone read just because you happen to disagree with it
chair.) I replaced out of CS:GO mafia almost immediately due to RL poo poo, so I can honestly say I have no idea what you're talking about other than yeah, merk used a vig D1 in CSGO as scum.
#.) Agreeing with someone is not inherently scummy

i think your point about merk not voting you back or whatever also doesn't make any sense, because what scum goes "oh look. a case on me. i'm definitely going to vote this guy back for it because this won't catch anyone's attention" - i don't think that is alignment-telling either way

EXAKT Science posted:

this though is definitely bad and I would vote Exakt

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I dunno if 'bandwagoning' is a strong thing to scumhunt for.

(I'll be unable to respond for most of today due to having to pretend that I'm a professional adult when all I really want to do is play silly social games on the internet :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

wall monitor posted:

I dunno if 'bandwagoning' is a strong thing to scumhunt for.

Mafia edit to clarify: I don't think bandwagoning is a strong thing to hunt for because everyone's going to be looking for it and thus I'd imagine any scum would be trying hard to be avoiding it.

• Locked thread