Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Set phasers to scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But Taste, I never went anywhere!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'll have to cool out for a minute to apologize to Rar tho.

You're still getting my jokevote :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Less nerd talk more mafia

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

You can tell us apart by his sterling posting and my less distinguished, but acceptable, attempts.

Please just mirror each other's posts all game :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi guys I'm here now let's start joking around and having a good time oh you've all gone to bed :(

##vote Taste :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

for scum reference I'm actually going to be trying this game and yall gonna get triggered

Countdown to no-lynch vote in 5 posts!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

I'd like to see more reactions, first.

Why bother doing a reaction test if you're just telling people it's a reaction test?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

I'm next level, Rarity.

Is that level the scum level?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

No, that's last level.

Maybe you're so next level it wraps back around to last level!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Then I'd be next last level.

I think you need to level out your levels

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

this game is going nowhere, just like the DS9 series.

##vote merk

Serious vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

TNG is the best series. DS9 is a far away second.

Captain Janeway had to beam throat and lung cancer out of herself between every episode because of all the cigarettes the pitch of her voice indicates she smoked.

I wasn't voting you for the Star Trek references that I don't understand. I'm voting you for complaining about the state of a game that's not left jokephase and also for not following that up with an attempt to move it forward.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Actually I would vote Rarity right now, that's kind of an out there case AND THAT'S ME SAYING IT.

I would like further comment about what you find wrong with it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Poque posted:

You hit me with a school bus.

That's what you get for not supporting sexual health like capps :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wall monitor posted:

Is it normally a good strategy to vig someone day 1?

No, really, I'm asking.

My first game there was this huge mathematical debate over proving using a vig on D1 was the best move for a townie. Poque was involved in that and on the side of D1 vigs by my memory. From what I've seen scum tend to use vigs earlier rather than later, but that's purely anecdotal and not a strategy I'd follow myself.

Poque posted:

I'm a bit skeeved at merk's about-face on me given that he was voting for HiipFire when I vigged him, but the immediate reaction after the thread re-opened struck me as town.

What do you think of my earlier point on merk now?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Poque was involved in that and on the side of D1 vigs by my memory.

And as Poque's just reminded me, he was the vig and he was scum there so this whole tangent is irrelevant!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Hurt posted:

You wanted to talk to me. ANd now you don't?????? Wall Monitor? More like Jerk Monitor.

wall monitor posted:

Numbers! I like numbers. Thank you.

I'm inclined to guess that Poque is town, then. (Or possibly 3p posing as town, but my :tinfoil: hunches are 0 for 2 so far in my mafia career)

A lurker callout without a follow up and hedging? No likey.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

I was scum once and used a vig on d1. This is how Poque likes to use vigs as merk likes to use vigs as scum.

##vote Poque

More people need to look at this weak rear end vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Hey Rarity, sorry to be a nudge but can you do the same?

Thanks.

Hi CCKeane! I sure can! But before I do I guess I should come clean about something. My case on merk is bullshit. I purposely pushed a lovely case on merk as a reaction test (thanks for giving me the idea). Mostly so I could get a solid read on merk but also to see what other people did. Here are my thoughts.

I think merk recognised my case as lovely but didn't make a big deal about it or vote me back for it which gives me a strong town read.

CCKeane posted:

Actually I would vote Rarity right now, that's kind of an out there case AND THAT'S ME SAYING IT.

CCKeane posted:

It's a questionable case that is strongly worded against a player that most scum players are wary of and would look for an opportunity to remove.

He saw right through the case and his suspicion of me looks genuine, another good town read.

Kumbamontu posted:

merk has the same sort of jokey detached tone he had in CS:GO mafia where he was scum, the tone is not the standard S.C.U.M.H.U.N.T.E.R. tone I am accustomed to when he is actually trying to determine who is what

that may still be because ~jokephase~ but it's pinging my badguydar cause of the comment of the game not going anywhere

Kumba jumped onto merk right after my case with a bad tone read and backed up my later challenge of merk's joke vote (a joke he should have got because he played in CS:GO). Reads like scum piggybacking onto my case while letting me take the heat for it.

Poque posted:

I dismissed it at first. But the vote against me comes across as more opportunistic when complemented with what you initially said. Like he was waiting for something to happen in order to manufacture an opinion about it.

Despite being suspicious of merk, I think this post is a genuine read of merk's vote from someone who doesn't know the history behind the joke. Also Poque's use of his vig is more likely to be a town move in my opinion.

wall monitor posted:

After more thought...

##vote Merk

This is weak bandwagon vote and combined with the earlier things I noticed I'm having a strong scum read here.

King Burgundy posted:

I find myself agreeing with Rarity and Kumba's posts about Merk. I'm not saying I'm sure Merk is scum. But I definitely feel it.

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, reread. There isn't a lot here yet, but best gut call on scum is still coming back as Merk.

##vote Merk

EXAKT Science posted:

Hmmm I don't think that's right. ##vote merk

More merk votes. I think Exakt is joking with his one though? KB goes through a lot of effort to set up his vote on merk, which doesn't read to me as natural. So all in all, this what I think of people from most towny to most scummy:

merk
CCKeane
Poque
PMom
Exakt
Hurt/Taste/Rurea (no solid read yet here)
KB
Kumba
wall monitor

##vote wall monitor

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kumbamontu posted:

i think your point about merk not voting you back or whatever also doesn't make any sense, because what scum goes "oh look. a case on me. i'm definitely going to vote this guy back for it because this won't catch anyone's attention" - i don't think that is alignment-telling either way

I didn't say it was just a matter of whether he voted or not and I don't like how you ignored that. There are plenty of ways to push back against a case that don't involve an omgus vote and merk didn't even bother with doing that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Phone posting so you get a quick simple answer to this. But I actually don't like this post and might take a more detailed look at it later when I'm home from work. The quick simple answer is my gut read of Merk hasn't changed. He just seems weird and scummy to me this game. I try to avoid omgus whenever possible since it is never taken seriously but one of the things that drives me to look at people more closely is when they say weird or unfounded things about me. Since I know I'm town I have to at least consider that the reason someone is wrong about me is they are scum faking content. Today's interactions make me want to look closer at you and Rarity as well. More later.

Once you're back in front of a computer can you point out the posts that seem weird and scummy?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wall monitor posted:

The 'I think this guy is scum lol jk just testing' argument doesn't sit well with me.

What don't you like about it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well that sure was a dumb lynch. I'll comment on specific posts below but overall my opinions haven't changed that much. KB/Kumba/WM are still my top scum picks. I'm gonna look at the posts leading up to the lynch first and then handle today after.

wall monitor posted:

The 'I think this guy is scum lol jk just testing' argument doesn't sit well with me.

WM never answered my question about expanding on this comment so I think he was just trying to invalidate that whole line of discussion cause of who it was pointing suspicion at.

King Burgundy posted:

This one is easy so I'll do it now since my effort posts are still a few hours away. It isn't any specific post. It is the general tone of his posting and the way he is acting. It feels put on to me.

King Burgundy posted:

And this is ridiculous on it's face. It was a gut vote. Of course it was uncertain. It is day one and my best non-joke vote was a gut vote. I'm sorry that I'm honest about my opinions? (Not sorry)

I love that you don't think this makes sense for scum but then proceed to vote me anyway. So you don't seem to care if you are voting scum, I suppose. But yeah, Merk asked me to make a meta case on him and I essentially said that was dumb. I can't wait to watch you and throw both these style of arguments back your way this game. Your whole case is nonsense.

Apart from the unjustified vote on merk, KB's entire contributions so far have been OMGUSing the people who suspect him. He hasn't made any effort to expand his views or to engage in scum hunting.

Poque posted:

but this is actually weirder than your posts, gotta say. if no justification is bad then his current vote for WM is self-admittedly bad.

This is the best case anyone who voted merk gave for him being scum so I don't think Poque's vote was scummy.

EXAKT Science posted:

What are the chances of a non-merk hanging happening? I don't think I'm going to be around for deadline so I want my vote to go somewhere that it'll matter.

This is a fairly weak reason to vote merk. There was still plenty of time before deadline so Exakt could have potentially shifted the target. Instead he just went with the flow, which pretty much describes his whole game so far.

EXAKT Science posted:

Why do you think merk is scum, WM?

Oh hey WM never answered this question either!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taste, why did you vote for merk? He seemed to understand why but can you explain it for the rest of us?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

So my gut is obviously untrustworthy. Anyone else have any good opinions on scum for today?

Everything about this post is terrible. Announcing regret for a mislynch, backing away from responsibility, asking other people to make cases for him, this post is a travesty.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I just reread myself and I wouldn't even say I convinced Poque. He was the one that brought up Merk as one of his top two scum. I really think your idea of what happened yesterday seems to be flawed.

On top of everything else, I made a point to let people know I was willing to be swayed off of Merk and I waited until the last possible moment so Merk would have a chance to claim and save himself if he wasn't scum. I'm bummed that I was one of the folks that picked wrong yesterday, but I feel like I did everything right outside of that.

The reason Exakt said you were pushing for merk hard is for the reason I already pointed out: he was the only person you really posted about. You asked other people to make cases, you didn't bother to look at anyone else yourself. That's probably why nobody bothered to try swaying you anywhere else. You hadn't commented on anything else going on in the game before then so why expect you to start now?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kumbamontu posted:

he and KB would be at the top of my proverbial lumpenlist, yeah

So you're saying that KB and wall monitor are scummy because they did the exact same thing that you did?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hmmm.

##vote King Burgundy

This is my vote for now. It could easily change to Kumba/WM depending on how the rest of this day plays out. Poque, I'd really like to hear your thoughts today.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

I think you are very much overstating the viablity of a wm vote, but that's fair enough.

I'm frustrated because I am sure that scum were on the merk vote pretty heavily and I don't think there's enough acknowledgment of that.

Keane, I'm confident you're town so can you say who looks scummy from that vote besides Kumba?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
KB, I already said your vote on merk wasn't an OMGUS. All your other D1 thoughts though:

King Burgundy posted:

Phone posting so you get a quick simple answer to this. But I actually don't like this post and might take a more detailed look at it later when I'm home from work. The quick simple answer is my gut read of Merk hasn't changed. He just seems weird and scummy to me this game. I try to avoid omgus whenever possible since it is never taken seriously but one of the things that drives me to look at people more closely is when they say weird or unfounded things about me. Since I know I'm town I have to at least consider that the reason someone is wrong about me is they are scum faking content. Today's interactions make me want to look closer at you and Rarity as well. More later.

OMGUS

King Burgundy posted:

Are you actually scum, Poque? Is that is what is happening here? You can be honest with me. It's ok.

OMGUS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

Again unless you think he is a scum rolecop you should not be voting kb

This is something worth considering though. Why do you think rolecop could be passed off as flavour cop?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Rarity has even gotten me to explode before in this same manner.

Which game was it I did that in?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

i don't remember and I'm not going to do your work for you since I'm pissed at you.

I only have like 10 games. I probably only played in like 3 of those with you. It should be easy for you to find.

Ok so the only time you've played with me when I'm scum was the Wire and this was the only thing you said about me:

quote:

You do this a lot, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes. Oh, this totally seems scummy EXCEPT for this other thing. Its a whole lot of wind and noise. Thanks for always thinking I come off as scummy but not?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

But we had a conversation about it where you thought I was scum because I "overreacted" and I referred you back to Lego to see a town overreaction.

This does sound familiar though, I think you're thinking of a game I was town in :P

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

FYI that I'm not quite a flavor cop.

I'm the emissary of the prophets. So I get visions from the prophet based on my target. It is random(?) whether I get back flavor/alignment/role. Last night I got flavor from Taste. It was really good flavor and it was fun of Asiina to write it. Someone that wasn't familiar with DS9 would not have been able to figure out from it who Taste is though as she didn't come out and say it.

Now that I'm done slapfighting over a past game I should think this claim through. I could see it being a fakeclaim for a combined scum flavour/rolecop, though that only makes sense if roles are tightly linked to flavour and I don't know DS9 so I don't know if that's the case.

KB, why did you investigate Taste last night and not any of the people you called scum on D1?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Because I was super curious about Taste's role. He implied in the early game that he was absurdly powerful. So I figured I'd either get to see what was so powerful about this role, or I'd get his flavor or alignment and be able to figure out if we need to vote him out for that powerful role.

Ok now I'm conflicted because this sounds very logical but then it would also be a sensible move for a scum rolecop ugh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah. Worf's made sense for his character. Mine makes sense for mine. Asiina implied that would be the case and I don't know why she would lie about that. It is part of what makes my cop ability so powerful even if I don't get all the information, I should be able to imply a lot from any read but alignment. And alignment is great on its own.

Yeah, I guess if you're right then we won't have just a straight up cop so I really shouldn't be voting for you with no counter claim!

##vote wall monitor

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

you can't possibly say that switched vote wasn't horribly awkward and stilted