Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The anime only slightly embellishes on the speed of the high level players, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Remember, because of the staff being busy working on My Love Story!! and the amount of prep that goes into making an anime, I wouldn't expect anything before spring 2016, and that would be pushing it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mr. Fowl posted:

The anime only slightly embellishes on the speed of the high level players, I see.

It is embellished, as in exaggerated, as in slowed down compared to reality, yea.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The new funniest thing is Arata's parents cheering on Nishida, I have decided.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think Arata is lame now though, when earlier I thought he was the coolest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arata is both lame and cool.

e: but he is not the coolest, no.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Terper posted:

Arata is both lame and cool.

e: but he is not the coolest, no.

I havent finished yet, but I think if Ayase really spent much time with him she wouldn't be as infatuated with him now just cause he's a different person since they were kids and its been a really long time.

Hes still real good at Karuta though, so maybe that's enough.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caruta.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Arata is just getting out of a way too long post grandfather death funk, so give him some time to become cool again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Arata is just getting out of a way too long post grandfather death funk, so give him some time to become cool again.

I think Taichi's struggle to the top is more relateable and engrossing, even if hes rich as hell and was a jerk as a kid.

I also like the thing he does where he just starts popping off the first syllable of cards rapid fire.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I thought it was badass when Taichi called a full match of poems from memory. I've come around on him, he's cool. And currently where I'm at he's finally realized he's in love with Chihaya, and I feel bad for him when he just barely can't make it to A. :( His mom is a jerk, though!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

taichi is the best

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cake Attack posted:

Chihaya is the best

Agreed.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

she's also the best, yes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

One of the things I love is how most of their opponents could probably be the the protagonist of their very own karuta show: follow the adventures of :sparkles:Sakura-chan:sparkles: as she goes on wacky middle age adventures! Watch as Ririka learns about life and grows up playing karuta as a child-prodigy! Laugh along with Chiba International School of Information Sciences as they confound people who judge them by their appearances. etc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I think Taichi's struggle to the top is more relateable and engrossing, even if hes rich as hell and was a jerk as a kid.

I also like the thing he does where he just starts popping off the first syllable of cards rapid fire.

http://tindeck.com/listen/bocvk

According to the crunchyroll subs, he's going through about 36(+,-) different poems all at once there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I ran out of Chihayafuru.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a real lovely place to leave the sotry!!!!!!!!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wish Kana was my wingman, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want to try the manga start with Chapter 93.

And it's not the worst ending, Chihaya showing that she's taking things more seriously and writing a not-poo poo poem is kind of sweet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think its bad cause dropping the triangle at a critical point like that and now also we're going to karuta summercamp with the cool lady teacher, thats stuff I wanna see.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trouble with starting the manga is you eventually run out of that too and then what? AND THEN WHAT?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did you watch the ova

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What was your favorite moment, Sharkopath.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The trouble with starting the manga is you eventually run out of that too and then what? AND THEN WHAT?

Cri

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

did you watch the ova

. . .

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Terper posted:

What was your favorite moment, Sharkopath.

I think my favorite overall was Taichi and Nishida synching their cards in the finals. It was cool.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My favorite is Chihaya taking her first (and second) card against Shinobu.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

did you watch the ova

There was an ova?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there was and it wasn't as great as the rest of the series but still, its more chihayafuru.

also still not sure if he watched it!!!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I cannot vote in the poll i want to date them all

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The OVA is anime original and centers around Sumire. It's completely inessential, but kind of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMESK2BiZ2k

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooooh, that thing. I remember now. It was pretty forgettable, so I forgot it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

there was and it wasn't as great as the rest of the series but still, its more chihayafuru.

also still not sure if he watched it!!!

i seen it now

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Don't high speed cameras need really strong lighting to be able to be able to work properly? I feel like that would be a distraction to the players.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just started season 2 and I'm not a fan of these new members so far.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

The dude doesn't do a whole lot but is funny, Sumire's pretty cool all around.

She's really similar to Kana but coming from an entirely different direction, and it's cool to watch her selfish drive melt into a real love of Karuta and her teammates over time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i want taichi to win

that luck of the draw loss against porky was rough... he knew the cards man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

The guy is mostly just around for jokes but, yeah, I think Sumire syncs up with the group okay. At the very least, Sumire draws some interesting development out of Kana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also sometimes sumire turns into a lucky star character and that rules