Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm definitely doing Adept Bow, but I don't know if I want to SnS, Horn, or LS for a melee weapon when I don't want to be ranged.

why would you not want to be ranged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Because sometimes you want to smash a monsters face with a hammer or not spend 20 minutes trying to cut a tail with a weak melee attack and some boomerangs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mortimer posted:

I want to cut tails easier or maybe buff people with the song of my people.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Both the Lobster and Pumpkin armors are back, along with a variety of bug and butterfly armors. Ridiculous fashion hunter is alive and well in Gen, never fear.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Is there any ladybug armor? This is important.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Chainmail armor is jorts again.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So when a game comes out on the eShop, when does it come out exactly? Can I start downloading as soon as the clock strikes midnight and it becomes Friday? :ohdear:

Very few games come out at midnight on the eShop. Only big first party releases get to do that, like Pokemon and Smash Bros. Being third party, MHG is probably releasing at the regular time, which is 9AM Pacific.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

Both the Lobster and Pumpkin armors are back, along with a variety of bug and butterfly armors. Ridiculous fashion hunter is alive and well in Gen, never fear.

Nice. Think I'll make a lady for the first time in these games and dress her in some sexy lobster armor.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have absolutely no loving clue what weapon I'm going to use in generations. Literally every weapon looks fun. I do know that I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled for good missions to grind for zenny though. I have a feeling I'm going to be broke constantly from all the weapons I'm going to be playing around with.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 12, 2016

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Anyone know if Generations is going to have the expected split of LR for solo play village quests and LR + HR for online hub quests, since there's no G rank, or will you get some HR quests from the village?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

There are some Village Quests with HR monsters. Look at Kiranico's page for Dinovaldo / Glavenus and scroll down to quests. One of the village quests there says LV2, which is the high rank version according to the drop tables.

Not all monsters have an HR village quest. Brachydios, for example.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I had a dream about playing this last night. Seems like my subconscious is all about aerial switch axe.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Anything on the Aerial SA moveset that moves your combo forward? I really miss the front-stab with it. It's one of my most used positioning moves on the switch axe.

e: VVV Okay, I deserved that one.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 12, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Electric Lady posted:

Anything on the Aerial SA moveset that moves your combo forward? I really miss the front-stab with it. It's one of my most used positioning moves on the switch axe.
Yeah the aerial attack

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there going to be a G version of the game in a year or so, or is the reason we're getting this one because there's no G coming?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Tender Bender posted:

Is there going to be a G version of the game in a year or so, or is the reason we're getting this one because there's no G coming?

They said they aren't doing a G version. This is essentially a third version of 4, rather than a new gen.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I believe that this is still part of the 4 generation and the next game(s) will be 5/5U.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I asked this question a few pages back. It sounds like this is considered an extension of 4, so the consensus is that there probably won't be a G version and we'll get 5 instead.

I'm wondering if we'll ever get simultaneous launches. Has the next MH been announced for Japan?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Funkmaster General posted:

They said they aren't doing a G version. This is essentially a third version of 4, rather than a new gen.

We should put this in the op for the new thread. This is like the 15th time this has been asked.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

We should put this in the op for the new thread. This is like the 15th time this has been asked.

This isn't going to stop people from asking, or be ashamed about asking

fwiw I'm suspicious of that yet-to-be-announced Monster Hunter game on Capcom's investment report for the fiscal year that has 3m in forecasted sales

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Has the next MH been announced for Japan?

Strictly speaking, no. They said in some shareholder meeting or something that they have another MH title in the works that they expect to sell ~2 million copies, but there's no details or public announcement. There's rumors that it's an NX title.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Basarios and its bigger, meaner cousin Gravios is your first exposure to a hunt whose whole gimmick is that it has armor harder than the sharpness of your weapon. There's a skill, the most important skill in the game and essential to basically every endgame build of every weapon in existence, called Sharpness +1

With Basarios and Gravios, the whole gimmick is that their entire bodies are covered in that armor, but they have very low health. When an attack is deflected, it still does damage, but it also blunts your weapon faster I think? Anyways, yes, if you have skills that negate deflection that's when you use them, because making a LR Sharpness+1 set is possible but a human nightmare to pull off.

You could just cut out the middle man and use the "Fencing" skill if you're melee. You can also break his armor, making him squishier, with aerial attacks and mounts. Explosives also work a treat.

Or you can just make a ranged water damage set and drown it from a distance. :getin:

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Bouncing doesn't cause less damage, but they do reduce sharpness by twice as much as a normal hit.

I think fencing skill also gets around the extra blunting downside, but I'm not sure.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I asked this question a few pages back. It sounds like this is considered an extension of 4, so the consensus is that there probably won't be a G version and we'll get 5 instead.

I'm wondering if we'll ever get simultaneous launches. Has the next MH been announced for Japan?

Not officially, no. All we know is that shareholder thing.

However, if you look at the release dates of all Monster Hunter games in Japan you'll see that there has been a new Monster Hunter game every year since 2004 so it's pretty safe to assume that MH5 will come out in Japan later this year.
Also there appears to be about half of a year between Japanese and western releases for the titles that do make it over here, so there's that as well.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's very likely it gets announced at TGS this September and will come out either late this year or early next. The time limit given by the investor conference is "this fiscal year" which ends March 31, 2017.

As for a worldwide simultaneous release, I'd love that but it seems extremely unlikely. Though if MH5 is indeed an NX launch title maybe Nintendo will pressure/convince/bribe Capcom into doing it.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 12, 2016

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd imagine it would take a lot of cash from Nintendo to make it happen. Then again, the NX is supposed to be some sort of hybrid mobile-y thing, so maybe it would make sense for the hardware. I suppose it wouldn't be crazy for it to launch on 3DS and NX.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Anybody know if there is Cross play between American and Euro versions?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I would Day 1 Purch an NX is MonHun was launching on it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

empathe posted:

:yeah:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

The Bunny posted:

I was able to play with my Finnish friend in MH4U. Don't know why it'd be a problem in Generations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

empathe posted:

I'd rob a truck of NXes before street date.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Electric Lady posted:

I was able to play with my Finnish friend in MH4U. Don't know why it'd be a problem in Generations.

I play with euros all the time. Frankly I have seen more french than english when playing MH4u in pugs.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Funkmaster General posted:

There's rumors that it's an NX title.

:circlefap:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I wonder what I'd do if it came out for both NX and 3DS.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Meldonox posted:

I wonder what I'd do if it came out for both NX and 3DS.

Buy 2 copies?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Hypha posted:

I play with euros all the time. Frankly I have seen more french than english when playing MH4u in pugs.

You know, now that you say it, I have definitely seen "Je suis monte!" far more often than "I mounted it!"

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The Bunny posted:

Yes, basically the game is divided into regions of "Japan" and "Everyone else." Everyone can play online together except poor, isolated Japan. (They only play locally though, so they don't care.)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Having played the Demo and looked online a bunch, people really don't seem to be a fan of the lance third strike change. Maybe I will change my mind later when I fight something not nargacuga but so far my times have been better with guild over striker for the lance. It takes some getting used to and I have taken hits where I shouldn't have but I'm not going to just walk away from a potential 45 motion value hit. Also considering multiplayer, it is a god send to finally get attacks in without getting interrupted by people and the monster is more likely to be open to your longer pokes due to trips, flashbombs, traps etc.I guess spamming the charge with striker is an option to narrow the damage gap but that can be really disruptive to other players.

Considering evade lancing, does striker with the later hunter arts start to really outpace guild style? I've seen stuff like the absolute evade lance styles and while it looks cool, I still like the 2nd Gen style of evade lancing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dear MonHun thread,

What are your favorite styles for Long Sword and Switch Axe?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dear MonHun thread,

What are your favorite styles for Long Sword and Switch Axe?

I like Adept for both. LS has that sweet counter-attack for the spirit bar upgrade, and the bonus of not tripping your friends. SA lets you get the hack-and-slash finisher attack after an adept dodge (in axe mode), which hits three times for a total of 100 motion value. It's ridiculously strong and gives me a reason not to flail wildly in sword mode all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I used to like Adept LS in MHX until I got further in the game and it became more difficult to land the followup spirit slash. Ended up back at Guild style by the time I reached endgame.

• Locked thread