Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Now, human being, thou must

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Now, SHITLO, thou must

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

for the first three, play the gameboy versions... they have better translations, sprites, multiple save slots, and let you save anywhere.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

7 is really cool it's just really long. It's the most epic adventure in the universe and it ramps up so slowly that you never see it happen, you just look back and see how far you've gone.

300 hour jrpgs ftw

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yes, they're good. 3 was the best game i had on GBC as a kid.

Also, there's this game in the monster series called Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart which is really fun, and has a lot of focus on exploring, but it's almost impossible to find in the west.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How's the mobile version of Dragon Warrior V? I'll probably buy the 3DS sometime in the future, but not right now - is the Android version an acceptable substitute?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

THE PENETRATOR posted:

should i take a japanese vacation JUST to buy the slime ps4... help me out here imps

japan and slime are epic. ps4 ? well, that's for you to decide

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Szurumbur posted:

How's the mobile version of Dragon Warrior V? I'll probably buy the 3DS sometime in the future, but not right now - is the Android version an acceptable substitute?

No . gently caress you

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

No . gently caress you

Well it's not on the eShop and I couldn't find the DS cart even when it was newer and I'd like to play it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Szurumbur posted:

Well it's not on the eShop and I couldn't find the DS cart even when it was newer and I'd like to play it.

Drastic

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

you can buy the DS version of DQ5 on amazon for 45 dollars with free shipping

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Swelter Discharge posted:

This is the better option than my idea

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gamestop has it used for $25 if you can find it at a local store

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i've never heard anyone dislike DQ8?? plus it has the best voice acting in videogames

I asked someone they said the battles are too slow, and they hated how you unlocked the skills.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i played dragon quest 1 on the nes and hated it so i never played another dragon quest game

this was apparently a grave mistake

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Swelter Discharge posted:

Even with customs fees it'd be cheaper than ordering from the UK - still not exactly cheap, but at least it's an option; I'll check some local shops later and for the time being I'll keep it in mind, thank you for the suggestion!

I had thought of that but I'd rather actually buy the game if at all possible, which it seems like it is.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

Now, human being, thou must

Heil Whitler

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Kild posted:

I asked someone they said the battles are too slow, and they hated how you unlocked the skills.

the skill system is pretty lovely, and the unfortunate fact is that 3d animations and such DO slow down the battles, making them longer than typical old DQ games, but still relatively snappy.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

conceitedguy posted:

Heil Whitler

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQ8 skills & battle speed felt fine to me, and that's not nostalgia i actually played it again a couple years ago. if you want to experience REAL slow battles play FF9

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

DQ8 skills & battle speed felt fine to me, and that's not nostalgia i actually played it again a couple years ago. if you want to experience REAL slow battles play FF9
Yeah, FF9 is probably my favorite FF but battles are painfully slow in it

From what I remember of DQ8 the battle speed was fine

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah I'm playing lost odyssey atm and that has slow battles dq8 is fine

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u can buy stuff to get rid of pointless fights early in the game too

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just played through 1 and am playing 3 now.

realistically they suck pretty bad but I enjoy mashing the button over and over again until i can buy a bigger club to hit the bigger slimes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm playing the SNES remakes, which have way more weird sex stuff in them than I recall being in the old nintendo games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DQ 4 was the worst, because you have to do the early boring level grinding that's the worst part 5 separate times, then they don't let you control any of your party members for the rest of the game. wtf dq4.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you're incredibly fucktarded, ole boy

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

DQ 4 was the worst, because you have to do the early boring level grinding that's the worst part 5 separate times, then they don't let you control any of your party members for the rest of the game. wtf dq4.

:whitewater:

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Nihnoz posted:

Now, MY rear end, thou must

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Rocket Slime is my fave Dragon Quest game op.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah ff9 is really painfully slow, and i think it suffers from the 'battle speed' menu option meaning difficulty just like ff6. i got to disc 3 in ff9 a couple months ago and haven't picked it up since. gonna play dq8 after i finish nocturne, its next in line in the list of hyped by synthy games im wrapping up.

which dq had the puzzle pieces of the world you had to gather up to unlock new areas? i got really far in that one but took a break for a week or two and then had no idea where i left off

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

hubris.height posted:

yeah ff9 is really painfully slow, and i think it suffers from the 'battle speed' menu option meaning difficulty just like ff6. i got to disc 3 in ff9 a couple months ago and haven't picked it up since. gonna play dq8 after i finish nocturne, its next in line in the list of hyped by synthy games im wrapping up.

which dq had the puzzle pieces of the world you had to gather up to unlock new areas? i got really far in that one but took a break for a week or two and then had no idea where i left off

that is psycho gamer favorite 'dragon quest 7'

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you've never played a DQ game which one should you start with

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Id start with one of the ones that i can play on the consoles i have

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

seiferguy posted:

probly 4 or 8

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

seiferguy posted:

4, 5 or 8

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

seiferguy posted:

not 7

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Will they ever release the DQ7 3DS remake in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

seiferguy posted:

I recommend an english patched version of the JP rom of DQ 3. That was my first and it made me love the series.

• Locked thread