Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello as a person who's met tommy wiseau, have i already transcended past playing this game or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

Omg tell me everything Ernie

a local movie theater does a thing where once every year or two they'll screen The Room and then a Q&A session with TW - the turnout is usually 25 people

i decided to go (without friends big mistake) last year and it was of questionnable worth to my entire sanity and being

the Q&A session was just a bunch of people asking increasingly annoying questions thinking they're the height of comedy/wit, and TW being sort of annoyed but bearing through it

shook his hand, seems like a normal guy, but gives off the vibe where you know that he's ~A Normal Guy But With A Past~ if that makes any sense

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i will also play this game

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i could sit out for anidav

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

last post before i become scum

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

same and i didn't get scum

what a bummer i was really looking forward to inventing new nicknames for the nightkill such as

'had sex with too many navels'
and
'marathoned the room on repeat for too long'

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Ok, but who do you think is Scum?
##Vote Anidav

lol
##vote lumpen

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Thank God rascyc has joined me

Now everyone else

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

here's something that's scummy:

does anyone honestly think lumpen can actually generate worthwhile content or opinions about new players by voting for someone for a few posts on d1

or that he's doing the more likely thing human beings do and that is maintain appearances

i'll freely renege on this opinion of he tells me what he's found out so far about anidav

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

me, i guess

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i find antivehicular entirely not scummy and lumpen's continued existence in this game baffling

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

without looking back i think mmt is townie because her posts seem to be breaking the game down logically on her terms

rascyc has been jokesy and i don't remember anything of worth you've done

so the answer is no one?

i just realized you're a voteleader, christ let me read the vote posts on you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Really?
##Vote Somberbrero

lol

Anidav posted:

I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

As for voting is concerned, there's a high chance that a cyclone will knock out my power tomorrow so I might not have another chance to post on day one after this.

I'm not sure what kind of poster Somberbrero is and at a glace it looks like a joke post with a joke vote. Since a cyclone is coming; I'm more than happy to add in a little extra pressure to get the joke posting out of the way.

##Vote Somberbrero

this seems contradictory

he gets what lumpen is doing therefore townie (even though nothing stops scum from doing it), but he decides to leave his vote on somber to end joke-phase, which seems like ... carefree use of his vote in the same post where he's very calculated with it?

Murmur Twin posted:

My argument is that

(a) generating content is pro-town, and that was the end result of his votes on the newbies
(b) trying to deny this and lead the vote on someone who I feel is pro-town is anti-town

##vote Somberero

no idea how i missed this before

how is what somber is doing any different from what i'm doing, mmt?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Blacknyte you're my favorite.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Blacknyte what's your take on Somber vs. Rascyc or MMT vs. Somber?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Somber tapped out :(

Couldn't take the heat and now is pulling his plug to hopefully get Lumpen lynched instead of himself? Could be!!!!

He seems miffed about something not game related, to be honest. That said, yeah we have a quiet-ish game.

Okay, maybe I should do something to liven it up, then.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

blacknyte posted:

After writing out that MMT stuff, I think she's scum and ##vote MMT. Her analysis of the Lumpen situation is really scummy to me - it doesn't make any sense. She could be defending her scum buddy or just trying to talk negatively about what might be a lynch of town. Either way, it's scummy.

uhh this seems like it's out of the blue, blacknyte. weren't you sure enough about lumpen for like 3 pages?

that said, i agree, i was about to go back and read mmt a whole lot.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I fully agree with Lumpen, he's merely doing a common type of poking. Even though I know none of the posters here, I do know exactly what he's trying to do and atleast for now; is a pretty bread and butter town move.

Okay, I still immensely dislike this sentence. Pro-town moves, especially D1, should not dictate alignment opinion. Like every time I read this sentence I think to myself 'If Lumpen is scum or if Lumpen is town, Anidav's still sounds like a scumpost.'

Antivehicular posted:

In Mountain Goats, I got a ton of poo poo for too much equivocating/not being firm enough in my casing. (You can check that too! The post that you quoted as good town play got called so scummy in that game.) I assumed the local meta meant I should be firmer, so I gave it a try, and apparently that read scummy too?

I like Antitotatllytubular's response to Rascyc here. It's measured and reasonable and feels like the kind of thing a new player would pay special attention to.

blacknyte posted:

My gut felt better about the MMT case after writing it out and thinking about it a bit, but that doesn't mean I don't think Lumpen is scum still.

Blacknyte where else have you played, mafia? And for how long?
More on Blacknyte below.

___

Null on Bowmore, it's all empty posting so far.

Null on EXAKT, it's all empty posting so far.

Lumpen posted:

This is data. It doesn't establish a strong argument for alignment for any of them at this point, but it is valuable data to establish the kind of players they are, and as flips happen, it will be valuable data for constructing meta expectations for future games.

And I wholly disagree with the premise that the response a new player gives you based off one vote on d1 is indicative of the kind of players they are. The way they post in general is informative enough given the way they flip. Why did you personally insist on grandstanding?

Murmur Twin posted:

The firm insistance that the thing that generated the most discussion is anti-town, plus attempts to discredit my case, feel more fake than wrong. That's where the vote came from.

Murmur Twin posted:

I just find the idea that people think Lumpen was actually trying to get the new players lynched at the start of D1 to be crazy. Even if he was scum, and even if he didn't change his vote to Somber once discussion started, why would he do that?

Even though I disagree with Murmur I like the way that she considers that things that don't make sense to her, shouldn't make sense to town in general.

Opopanax posted:

##vote somber I have decided that his behaviour is, in fact, scummy. The nose knows

Opop is confirmed town. :3:

Rascyc posted:

But I hate AntiV's post more because he doesn't actually explain a thing and just cusses.

I disagreed with this at the time. Half the cussing in AntiV's post involved a Room reference. I thought it spoke to AntiV being unstressed and playing well in joke-phase.

Rascyc posted:

You are not silly. I disagree with the case, I think I said so earlier.

Rascyc posted:

Junk at this point, the original one was better. Now it just seems you have an agenda.

Rascyc, how could you think someone had a good case, but disagree with it? And how could you disagree with someone's good case, but not think they're scummy?

I personally didn't see a contradiction in what Lumpen did (i.e. the thing everyone thought was a good case) but immediately thought to myself that Blacknyte was scummy because it was a follow-up to his first case, an after-thought, as if he decided Lumpen was scummy and then went looking for reasons.

Sandwolf posted:

##vote Lumpen

I think AntiV's response was surprisingly eloquent and I don't think she's scummy anymore.

Sandwolf posted:

I disagree? In my years playing this game I've seen some rampant thread manipulation. I don't think Lumpen is doing that, but it's just something good to be aware of.

Lumpen pressuring the newbies not to necessarily be a D1 lynch topic, but to attract attention that could be used later or to unnerve newbies into misplaying a bit.

These come from a town mindset. They're full of content and the timing of making them is very townie.
____

Null on Somber. The second time I'm doing this in two games. It's a pattern.
(truthfully, the way i read somber is impossible to do on d1 so I don't even try). I like that he's agreeing with me a lot.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh a lot happened while i was doing that

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Somber or Lumpen would make the most sense as a lunch target as their flips would provide the most context for other peoples' votes.

Even though Opop put his nose behind Somber, I don't feel like going after Somber today. Somber's always a stronger player later in the game, and he hasn't had a chance to actually play today.

Of course as I say this I realize Somber is at -2. Literally what the gently caress.

Rascyc posted:

His newest scum read is to read the guy criticizing his case.

It is like a scum who cased someone on believable grounds but have no where else to go with it. A real town would probably at least ask why would I consider Lumpen town or something peripheral to the case, or why I think anything I do. Instead he has gone combative and frustrated.

He lacks curiosity! :sun:

Okay now I really do need to do work.

I don't think so. Fact is he was voting Lumpen, and then unvoted to go for MMT. I can see why you laughing off his voting MMT can seem like you're misrepresenting him.

That said, I'm extremely extremely uncomfortable with how many votes are on Somber right now. I was thinking to myself earlier today that if Lumpen were scum I'd expect more resistance from his team since he's a strong player, but I feel like the scum are just dogpiling on Somber at this point.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Does EXAKT Science have a double vote? Why have they voted Somber?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

Do you think he'll flip Scum?

Lumpen posted:

blacknyte, if you are Town, you seem to have fallen into a tunnel. I suggest you re-evaluate your premises.

Lumpen asking other people to stop parking their votes while his vote is parked on Somber...

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

That's a strange reason not to vote someone

It's the same reason I've always adopted when not voting for someone having an emotional reaction. Is it really strange?

And it's the same reason I'm asking people to unvote Somber.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I don't understand how Lumpen has read anything into Bowmore or EXAKT.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I don't really understand it though. How has somber not had a chance yet?

I feel like Somber's just not into the game. It's independent of alignment. Yes, everyone else is participating or have had ample time to provide content, but I have a reason to not vote Somber and that's because I want to be nice. You don't have to do it. But if we're going to go down the path of 'not participating is scummy' then I want valid reasons for why EXAKT and Bowmore get a pass.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Lumpen posted:

There is no sensible reason that Mark would be a Doc, especially since there's likely someone who is Peter. Mark is a Scum character. Lisa is a Scum character. Chris R or Denny would be the third, assuming 3 Scum.

And the mod probably knows that we can break the setup based on flavor and isn't stupid. Flavor and alignment are not going to be related this game.

Murmur Twin posted:

Anidav and Lumpen
##vote Lumpen

Jesus, MMT, I was going to make this case today. Anidav, in return, has been equally hedgy when speaking about Lumpen. I don't remember what it was but he came up with a weak reason to vote Somber instead of Lumpen yesterday.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Ignoring the above meta point, Lumpen nearly pushed through a day one dunk based on next to nothing and has no curiosity or interest in a real analysis of late day one behavior outside of what has the most immediate momentum.

Agreed.

##vote Lumpen

He was riding pretty hard on Blacknyte yesterday until their opinions aligned. Town Lumpen would never in a million years change his opinion on someone just because they stopped being a thorn in his side.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Hey Ernie, say something helpful.

It's Lumpen, Anidav and either EXAKT or Sandwolf

Sandwolf seems to be intentionally avoiding talking about anything meaty

and EXAKT just had an awkward day start today

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

EXAKT SCIENCE POSTS AWKWARDLY IN MAFIA GAME, DETAILS AT 11

Well yesterday it was empty posts

and today it was awkwardness

WHY DID YOU DELAY IT A WHOLE DAY HMmmMmMMM?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i can't believe mmt didn't recruit me into her masonry

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i don't think there's a universe where rascyc is scum atm

we have no claims of any other kind which means that the information we have right now is reliable

and his tone has kicked it into high gear, which i feel like scum right now would adopt a more comfortable tone

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Anidav right now is entirely self-involved. They have no interest in turning the tides.

##vote Anidav

I'll re-read the thread now.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

I'm waiting on confirmation from font, but I tracked you last night and you targeted MMT, but were locked in your room.

##unvote

what? this is not how tracking or jailing work.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

Either there's a weird interaction here, or Rascyc performed the NK.

like if rascyc was jailed, you shouldn't have been able to target him

if rascyc was jailed, you shouldn't have seen him try to go anywhere

if rascyc wasn't jailed, you shouldn't have been told he's in a locked room or whatever

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

why would you think Rascyc performed the kill?

also, this

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

Because he claimed doctor yesterday and I tracked him to a player who died. How could I not think he had performed the kill under those circumstances?

no, that part is clear

what somber and i were asking were why you thought he did it if you were specifically told he was trapped in a room

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

rascyc

this is very important

were you told, explicitly, with the exact word that you were 'jailed'?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

No it's an interpretation based on the flavor. Like it's literally a one sentence narrative that my door and windows are locked/barred.

so why did you assume jail vs roleblock?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i'm not doubting you, i just think i have something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

My weird vibe on Ernie is that this is the first time all game that he feels a bit more than casually engaged, and it's on an NA interaction of all things.

i've lost the last two games i've played, i don't intend to do it in this game, too

• Locked thread