Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
In Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, when playing as Mr. Donkey, you could perform a ground slap by pressing down + the run button. Nobody ever did this because it was basically useless and almost always a much smarter move to just do the roll instead.

What are some other game techniques that never get used in practice because they're obviously inferior to some other, equally available technique?

Also suggest a booze pairing for each technique, this one gets a nice dram of scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

the 'punch' button in beat-em-ups.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
grapple beam in super metroid.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rj54x posted:

In Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, when playing as Mr. Donkey, you could perform a ground slap by pressing down + the run button. Nobody ever did this because it was basically useless and almost always a much smarter move to just do the roll instead.

What are some other game techniques that never get used in practice because they're obviously inferior to some other, equally available technique?

Also suggest a booze pairing for each technique, this one gets a nice dram of scotch.

Lol, enjoy missing a ton of secrets by not using the ground slap OP :xd:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

rj54x posted:

holy fuckin poo poo look at this scrub haha omg

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Mr. Donkey

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
yeah dude your premise here is flawed

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
in Metroid, Samus Aran can fire missles. this little-used but powerful technique always got overshadowed by my strategy of 'flopping around Zebes like a retard.'

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

in Metroid, Samus Aran can fire missles. this little-used but powerful technique always got overshadowed by my strategy of 'flopping around Zebes like a retard.'

how the gently caress did you deal with kraid and ridley then?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

Lol, enjoy missing a ton of secrets by not using the ground slap OP :xd:

Don't be silly, none of the secret areas need the slap to access, all it gets you are extra caches of bananas and such which you don't need because the game hands out extra live like candy.

Also I am bad at video games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did anyone ever use royal guard style in devil may cry 3

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The thing where you could control Goldeneye with two N64 controllers instead of just one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The thing where you could control Goldeneye with two N64 controllers instead of just one.

what

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That was sick as hell. It's so comfortable and blows other methods out of the water.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

that was called multiplayer, and you were supposed to have a friend

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Whirlwind Jones posted:

this, but Star Wars Podracer

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
2.3 Domino is the best way anyone can use the N64 controller.

i should get two wiimotes and bastardize the nunchucks into a similar config

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Goldeneye (N64) released - August 1997
PS1 dualshock controller hits retail - November 1997
But wait! It gets weirder:
Two planes strike the world trade center, killing thousands - September 11, 2001.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You could play duck hunt by having a second controller plugged in and it would control the direction of the duck.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

considering it was the best and most powerful style yes

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Hay guys I'm going to put some skill points into swimming :nsallears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In the gba version of donkey Kong country, you used the ground slap to find photos for the bonus gallery.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Flannelette posted:

Hay guys I'm going to put some skill points into swimming :nsallears:

I did this in deus ex before being bored of it

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

rj54x posted:

Don't be silly, none of the secret areas need the slap to access, all it gets you are extra caches of bananas and such which you don't need because the game hands out extra live like candy.

Also I am bad at video games

yeah you are you can slap up rubber tires and other poo poo that you need to access secret areas lol i kind of want to see a short video of donkey kong slapping the ground to smack my bitch up now hmmm everdred? you there guy? need your expert video powers for this one

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

With this you could use the second controller to shoot a gun in the end-level cutscenes, middle-school me took advantage of this many times in Egyptian to watch Baron Samedi run up and start laughing and then shoot him mid-laugh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Endorph posted:

Yes because blocking attacks and then one-inch punching groups of fools so hard they explode is dope as gently caress.

I enjoyed DMC4 purely because when you get Dante he's able to switch between 5 styles on the fly which is extremely awesome.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

Professionals, like me.

Incidentally, healing consumables are useless in DMC/Bayonetta games.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Tender Bender posted:

With this you could use the second controller to shoot a gun in the end-level cutscenes, middle-school me took advantage of this many times in Egyptian to watch Baron Samedi run up and start laughing and then shoot him mid-laugh.

you can do this with intro cutscenes and it's possible to complete objectives involving shooting stuff doing it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Professionals, like me.

Incidentally, healing consumables are useless in DMC/Bayonetta games.

items in bayo2 are waayyy better. they didn't really change but they dont kill your score anymore

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

items in bayo2 are waayyy better. they didn't really change but they dont kill your score anymore

shameful... This was the worst change in Bayo 2 and I didn't take advantage of it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

shameful... This was the worst change in Bayo 2 and I didn't take advantage of it.

i thought it was really dumb to make the items expensive and rare and then the game would slap your wrist if you ever actually used them. good change IMO and if you're going for plat you can't take any damage anyhow

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

i thought it was really dumb to make the items expensive and rare and then the game would slap your wrist if you ever actually used them. good change IMO and if you're going for plat you can't take any damage anyhow

it was good because items are for faggots

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

if you dont like items dont use them, there i solved your problem

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah but the invincibility items don't affect your rank. That is dumb.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

i agree and same

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The ground slap was mainly for opening secrets.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AHungryRobot posted:

how the gently caress did you deal with kraid and ridley then?

charge beam, like a boss :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

If you intentionally jump or roll into enemy attacks and then block it gets really easy to get perfect guards/releases, it's an exploit they fixed for DMC4

The only useless move in DMC3 is the grappling hook on the rocket launcher, this move is so bad that even though it's bugged and doesn't actually do anything in the HD collection nobody noticed for like a month.

• Locked thread