Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

charge beam, like a boss :smug:

There is NO charge beam in Metroid 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah but the invincibility items don't affect your rank. That is dumb.

the invincibility/damage enemy items definitely should but the whole style of game punishes you for using any items and it's dumb

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
All of the items either heal you (meaning you got hit) or make you kill enemies really fast (meaning you didn't get good enough to actually beat them)

Both imply a lack of skill.

I think it's more dumb that you care enough about video game rankings that getting a bad one offends you, but not enough to actually improve and earn good ones.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 13, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm against using healing items in games where you can skillfully avoid damage.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm against using healing items in games where you can skillfully avoid damage.

same, i beat dark souls 1 & 2 without ever taking a sip of estus

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the heal items should either be in and be usable, or not be in at all

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
They're very useable

You just won't get a good Arbitrary Ranking.

If they weren't in the game at all than way less people could even beat the game.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Dookey Dong Cuntery

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
as impressed as we all are about whether you managed to beat x game without y item and your opinions thereof, i think we get the picture by now.

anyway, another useless feature would be the medium level charge shots in mega man games. the fully charged one can kill more things in one shot, and even in the rare situations where a medium charge can OHK something it's just better to use uncharged ones anyway. the snes MMX games actually managed to find a good power balance between the 3 though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

AHungryRobot posted:

as impressed as we all are about whether you managed to beat x game without y item and your opinions thereof, i think we get the picture by now.
Mm yes quite

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

hey, if you want to add anything, go for it. i just think that everyone's said pretty much all there is to say on the matter.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
mushroom

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
actually, that mean of me. talk about what you want guys i'm sorry :shobon:

GlennFrog
Jul 5, 2004

T_T
in the fallout series there are stealth moves no one ever uses

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

darealkooky posted:

All of the items either heal you (meaning you got hit) or make you kill enemies really fast (meaning you didn't get good enough to actually beat them)

Both imply a lack of skill.

I think it's more dumb that you care enough about video game rankings that getting a bad one offends you, but not enough to actually improve and earn good ones.

then its dumb that you care that someone else cares and shouldnt post

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
caring can be cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i dont like that using a healing item between fights penalizes you the same amount as dying when it's using resources just as much as upgrading skills does

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

GlennFrog posted:

in the fallout series there are stealth moves no one ever uses

In the last two Fallout games, stealth is easily the second most entertaining way to play, right behind low intelligence, melee only.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

elf help book posted:

caring can be cool

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I beat Nethack on my first try thanks to save-scumming. Get on my level, scrubs. :smug:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Frank Horrigan posted:

I beat Nethack on my first try thanks to save-scumming. Get on my level, scrubs. :smug:

I almost ascended in Nethack once as a healer who was so powerful and had so much regeneration that I was just holding arrow keys to fight huge groups of monsters without looking much

then I managed to choke to death on a wraith corpse which is one of the least likely things that can happen in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Holding the arrow keys is my number one cause of death in every roguelike. :saddowns:

• Locked thread