Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Choose your gender

A: Male
B: Female

Choose a branch of service:

Army
Navy
Air Force
Marine Corps

Avoiding nationality decisions entirely. Realized that I am dumb and trying to write from an entirely different cultural perspective would lead to much crash and burn.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
GM NOTE

Seriously not allowing goat people. Not gonna write a furry fanfic. In terms of actual goats, I don't think I could maintain interest writing about being a goat.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Original vote has changed, adjust votes accordingly.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Voting will be closing soon. Currently Male Marine Corps person is in the lead.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Voting is closed and character generation has started in earnest.

We are a MALE

Who has decided to enlist in the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

Semper fi.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
All through high school you never had much of a problem staying fit. You were the star halfback on the football team, and had brought your school to a state championship twice in a row, which in the state of Texas where you lived was nothing short of being considered a demigod. You were never much one for academics though, and seeing the scholarships offered to you from UT and Baylor and all sorts of other places lost its appeal soon after you realized you'd have to maintain an impressive GPA to keep up your athletic career.

You had, however, been listening to the news. After the end of the Cold War the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact had stayed more or less intact into the nineties despite a growing capitalist movement and a weakening of the Soviet economy. Tensions between China and the USSR lead to a full scale invasion by the Soviets into China. Surprising military experts worldwide, the Chinese military, having been aggressively modernized expecting such an occasion, repulsed the Soviets with ease. Full scale war industrialization lead to a lack of consumer goods and exports from the USSR, causing further damage to the economy and causing the quality of life to sharply drop in Russia and Eastern Europe in general.

As the bodycount in China rose, and the USSR looked ever weaker, the German Bundeswehr took the opportunity to push through the Berlin Wall, reoccupying the majority of Germany almost overnight. The East German army defected in droves as their brothers drove across the line, turning defenses meant to stop an invasion into a bulwark against Soviet forces who would almost surely be coming.

International involvement was swift, with the United States deploying troops in support of Germany and China. The country was truly at war, and the call was put out for volunteers to fight the commie menace.

Which is what lead you, a strong and tough kid fresh out of high school to walk into a Marine Corps recruiting office this day in 1996.

After a round of physical and academic testing, it was found that you were pretty much able to do whatever you wanted in the Marines if you really wanted to, being in extremely good physical condition and having decent natural intelligence. There was a pressing need for junior officers as well, and with your scores you were found to be an ideal candidate for OCS (Officer Candidate School) should you wish to go that route. The recruiter sure believed that it was a great idea to do so and seemed to be pushing you to look into being an infantry officer.

What Path Shall We Take?

Some options are both available as an officer or enlisted. Please indicate which one you would prefer.

A: Go with the recruiters recommendation, be an commander of fighting men.
B: gently caress that, I want to fight, but I want to work for my money. 0311 Infantryman all day.
C: Actually, the Air Wing needs men to fly, and I have the scores for it. I'll be a fighter pilot.
D: I've always liked blowing poo poo up. What about a Combat Engineer? (Officer or Enlisted)
E: The recruiter also mentioned that I'd be a good candidate for Force Recon(essentially Marine Special Forces) and would be willing to submit a packet on my behalf (Officer or Enlisted)
F: Offhand during conversation, the recruiter mentioned that there were a couple of spots open for the Marine scout/sniper school, and that with my scores he would be happy to find a place for me if I wanted it.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
It is worth noting that in flying jets for the Marines, you have access to such things as the A-10 Thunderbolt.

Force Recon for those not in the know are part of MARSOC (Marine Special Operations Command) and are tasked with doing all sorts of crazy bullshit on a regular basis.

Edit: Also, please specify officer or enlisted on your votes where it is relevant. This is very important as it will drastically change things.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 13, 2015

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Ralith posted:

C because I am a huge A-10C nerd and can't wait to have my immersion ruined. Plus, you know, BRAAAAAAAAAAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0PgPK67jwc

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Voting will close soon. I've got a mind to update once again before the end of the night.

Now would be a good time to Name Yourself!

If a consensus can't be reached I'll just grab whatever sounds good or come up with something myself, but I wanted to give you all the opportunity to name your very own devildog!

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Voting is closed

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
"Get off my loving bus!"

You had fallen asleep at some point along the way to your ride to Parris Island, having gotten so very little sleep the day before you left, that you had not noticed that the bus had come to a halt. When the instructors started screaming, you found yourself in a panicked rush to get out the door, almost stumbling over yourself as you get out of the bus.

"Form the gently caress up now! Go! What the gently caress are you waiting for! Go faster! GO!" You and the 40-50 other people in the bus with you rush to get into formation along the yellow footprints painted on the ground, where so many recruits before you have stood. If you had time to think, you might consider the remarkable symbolism and tradition in what was happening right now. Instead, you were more concerned about the drill instructor screaming in your ear for not standing properly at attention.

Training goes by quickly, though at times it felt like it would never end. After Basic you are given the temporary rank of E-5 and sent off to OCS, where yet another grueling round of training begins. You learn advanced infantry tactics at the platoon command level and earn your branch to engineer, being further trained on construction, demolitions and the organization of a combat engineer platoon. You finish near the top of your class, having been outshone academically by a few others who had substantially more formal education than yourself.

Your first command is the 2nd platoon of engineers attached to the 2nd Company, 1st Combat Engineer Battalion "The Super Breed", 1st Marine Division based out of Camp Pendleton. Your commanding officer Captain Blackwell after formally welcoming you to the company advises you that the company is anticipating a deployment with a MAGTF along with the rest of 1st Marines to support South Korea in eliminating North Korea as a standing fighting force. Preliminary plans have your men being attached to 1/3 Marines as demolitions experts to clear out enemy fortifications.

Within three weeks, deployment orders are put out and the invasion of North Korea is made official to the American public at about the time your ship comes within helicopter range of Seoul. The North Koreans have pressed hard on the South Koreans and the limited garrison of US Army forces present on the Korean peninsula, and Seoul has been put under siege. North Korean naval artillery set up around Incheon harbor has made a sea assault practically impossible, and the decision has been made to send in your platoon of engineers along with 1/3's second company to insert via helicopter and capture or destroy the Korean naval batteries and secure the beach head for the rest of the battalion to land.

Choose:

A: Go along with the orders as intended.

B: A, but with a heroic write in speech to your men.

C: Protest being sent in with the first wave, attempt to get your men retasked to come in with the second assault.

D: Write in

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Affi posted:

D. Why don't we blow the gently caress out of those outdated NK naval batteries with some goddamn air support?

Captain Blackwell takes this "The Russian Air Force is out in force supporting the DPRKs push on South Korea. Skies are contested and between that and SAM coverage the Navy doesn't want to risk it." He doesn't seem particularly pleased as he says this. "We will be sending a pair of Cobras to support your push, DPRK SAMs are old tech, can't hit anything as low as you lot will be worth a poo poo so they likely won't even try. If you find any, consider them targets of opportunity. If we can get some of those things wiped out we'll be able to task more support for your area."

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Voting Is Closed

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
As you study the insertion plan for your platoon, you come to the conclusion that it'd be a good idea to see if your PSG could 'find' some extra equipment for the rest of the men.

You find Staff Sergeant Archer with his gear, double checking all of his equipment and getting it all packed up the way he liked it. At seeing you he nods his head to you in acknowledgement and goes back to his tasks. After all, you're still a loving boot. Staff Sergeants actual boots on his feet likely have more time in the Corps than you do.

You lean up against the wall, folding your arms around your chest. "Archer, you think you might be able to work your magic to get us extra mags and explosives? Wouldn't want to run dry before the rest of the battalion shows up."

SSgt Archer is one of the most infantry as gently caress men you have ever met. Built like a brick shithouse and with a scar dragging across his face that, rumor has it, was from when he got into a knife fight with a guy from the Iraqi Republican Guard during Desert Storm. Archer doesn't even look up from his gear as he finishes up packing and ties down his pack, chuckling a bit. "Already done, sir. We owe the quartermaster a Korean officers pistol and a good bottle of sake. Maybe a flag too if we can manage to get one back." He grabs three magazines and hands them off to you. "Sergeants Wilson and Conquest are packing along most of the extra explosives through their squads, they're our most veteran squad leads so I trust them to do any breaching we need."

Surprised that your platoon sergeant would take his own initiative like that, your OCS instructors made it rather clear to you that when you first got to your unit, your platoon sergeant would know what to do and to mainly learn from them, so you just put this aside as being normal behavior. "Good to hear, carry on Sergeant." You make your way back to your gear and load up for bear. Word comes down not soon after to round up the men and load up on the Hueys for insertion.

As your men loaded up and took off, the pilot of your Huey took it upon himself to start blasting some music appropriate for the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDch1p4c_M

As Incheon comes into view you can see smoke rising even from here. The whole city seems to be burning, the North Koreans apparently showing no mercy to the city or its inhabitants as they asserted their control over the area. According to reports, civilians hadn't had much of a chance to evacuate before the NKA slammed into the city like a steamroller. The thought of so many people who had nothing to do with what was going on being trapped in a burning city like this was..unsettling, to say the least.

As your group started hitting the coastline, the Hueys started taking small arms fire from machinegun emplacements on the ground. Everyone tucked in tight in the Huey's interior as rounds plinked off of the sturdy helo. The copilot looked back at you, shouting. "1 minute to drop!" Your drop was planned in close proximity to the NKA naval defenses, and the plan was a violent and brutal assault of the emplacements from the rear followed by the effective destruction of all naval defenses. If everything went to plan, the second wave should be able to land within the hour.

Things quickly did not go to plan. As your Huey slows to make a landing, the helicopter suddenly rocks violently. You hear the pilot shouting for everyone to hold on and shortly after something slams into the Huey. There's a huge explosion that throws everyone down onto the floor and the helicopter starts spinning wildly out of control. Everything is a chaos of yelling and smoke. The starboard side door is sheared off of the aircraft and you get a good look at the ground coming up very quickly as the pilot struggles to regain control.

The Huey starts leaning to the side, and shortly afterwards slams into the ground. Everything goes black.

You wake up in no small amount of pain. Opening your eyes, you find yourself in what can only be described as a shallow trench. Some distance away is the burning wreckage of the Huey. You can see muzzle flashes and men running around, but find yourself unable to hear anything beyond a loud ringing noise. Suddenly you feel yourself being dragged, and look up to see SSgt Archer dragging you towards a stone wall with one hand while firing his rifle with the other. It becomes apparent to you that you can't move your left arm much. You've had a dislocated shoulder before, and if you had to guess, that is what happened. Your rifle has also gone missing, likely thrown away somewhere in the crash.

Still unable to hear, you're dragged behind the stone wall and laid down. Archer yells something and a Navy Corpsman is soon over and assessing you. He is trying to say something or other to you, but you're only able to stare dumbly as the ringing in your ears drowns out all other sound.

What Do You Do?

A: Stay down, try to recover from the crash and let the medic do his job.
B: Draw your pistol and try to rejoin combat immediately.
C: Pass out from pain.
D: Try to affect some kind of orders and figure out what is going on. Note, you are currently more or less deaf which may complicate this.
E: Write In

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Oh poo poo voting is closed

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Fighting the intense urge to draw your pistol and attempt to join a firefight happening far beyond your weapons effective range, you stay the gently caress down and let the Corpsman do what he is paid to do. At this point some of your hearing started to come back, and you could make out shouted instructions and not a little gunfire. The corpsman grabs your disabled arm and shouts at you to brace yourself before quickly and quite painfully relocating your arm. You move your arm a bit and roll your shoulder, finding that you get a spike of pain when you do so. The Corpsman gives you a thumbs up and takes cover nearby, waiting for another call to go out.

You look around you, and begin to get up to peek over the wall you are behind before a burst of tracer fire and the sound of multiple rounds hitting your position drop you back behind your position. Upon seeing that you are up, SSgt Archer calls for smoke to be put out. Immediately, everyone with a smoke canister throws one out and obscures your position from enemy fire. He gestures for you to follow him and calls along the rest of your command squad, the other soldiers present at your fighting position providing cover fire as the rest of you retreat into a small building nearby, away from enemy fire.

You can now sort of hear, people only have to talk loudly rather than yelling at you for you to even sort of hear them.

"Sergeant, I need a status report." You look at your PSG expectantly and he nods his head, running down a report. "First and second squads landed without incident and are currently supporting 3rd platoon in blowing up the loving AA that took us down. Our helo support is holding back until that's done. Third squad is combat ineffective, Sergeant Wilson is currently MIA and they have four killed, three wounded. Fourth squad is currently outside, two wounded but they're still fighting. We also have two pilots with us that made it out of the helos, they're currently supporting what is left of third so we have Ammo is stable for now but LT, we lost the bird that was bringing a lot of our spare. We've probably got half an hour to an hour max. Koreans are harassing us right now, figuring out how many of us there are I'd guess while they wait for reinforcements."

He rubbed his chin, pacing back and forth. "We're about a klick (kilometer) away from our primary objective. We've got comms with 3rd platoon of 2nd company, Lt Velasquez got hit in the arm early on but he's still going. None of us know what the gently caress is going on with the rest of the company, we can't get in touch with anyone else and neither can they."

He leaned against the wall, looking over to you. "So, what do we do, LT?"

A: Archers recommendation: Dig in and hold down the fort until backup arrives.
B: Consolidate your forces and advance, engage and destroy all opposition, then push on to primary objective.
C: Attempt to withdraw from this area and hide until reinforcements arrive.
D: Link up with the infantry platoon. They are currently most of a kilometer away shooting Koreans and blowing up AA.
E: Try to re-establish communications with the rest of the company.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

LLSix posted:

What is the difference between B & D?

B is just taking your men under your direct command and going straight down the Korean Army's throat.

D has you going out of the way to find and link up with the only infantry you have contact with to join them on taking out the AA before heading to the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Just to reiterate, half of your platoon is already assisting an entire infantry platoon in taking out said AA.

They are also a kilometer away over potentially hostile terrain and you have wounded soldiers.

Not telling you what is right or wrong, just stating facts.

• Locked thread