Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hello games posters, its me, a spider covets

what are some of your favorite video game monsters? there are lots of monsters out there. some of them are scary, some of them are funny, some of them are even sexy. i like the scary ones the most. please post about your favorite monster or enemy and tell us why they are the best.

i like gaping dragon a lot because he's huge and looks like something out of Carpenter's "The Thing" except in a video game, which is hard. you may have heard of it. here he is, having a snack:

here he is getting really upset about people who don't post cool monsters:

ok go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pretty much every monster in darkest dungeon is terrifying

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

this is a grue

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This fucker from RE4. Even if you know how to fight it it's still terrifying and incredibly difficult to take down.

Edit: "You're right hand comes off?" :smugleon:

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 12, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

never forget

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

This fucker from RE4. Even if you know how to fight it it's still terrifying and incredibly difficult to take down.

:eyepop: he looks like a xenomorph with a human head

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
this whole fuckin' thread should be dark souls bosses except the butterfly and the dog that gets progressively sadder as you lower its health

here's the rotten from dark souls 2. it's made of dead people.

edit: if you look closely, you can see that it doesn't have legs, just dead people who crawl in the direction it wishes to move. namely, your direction.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ugh-Zan the Third. At least back when SS:TFE was relatively current content. Going from that loving evil arena to suddenly a massive, wide open plain with nothing at all for miles around. Then the cutscene. Then I turn around and see the boss and how he's literally like 100 feet tall and suddenly there's all this poo poo in front of me and it's shooting me and I backpedaled too much and then he stepped on me and all that was left was a red smear on the ground.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

I've always liked Shamblers and I don't know why. Maybe cause they're yetis that cast lightning.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a floating basketball of people attached to the hip that scream and fall off when you hit them

the floor is also covered in people

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Inflammatory posted:

never forget

High 5 Nibelsnarf was my favourite enemy in MH3. Alas, too good for MH4; you will be missed, sand puppy.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
i'm going to go ahead and throw this guy out there

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

They actually made a sweet action figure of the Verdugo that's pretty big and detailed, but not that expensive.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Say what you want about its story, the monster design for Dead Space was fuckin' amazing and outright freaky.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 12, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lovely Senorita posted:

a floating basketball of people attached to the hip that scream and fall off when you hit them

that is horrifying

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lovely Senorita posted:

deadlyrhetoric posted:

this whole fuckin' thread should be dark souls bosses except the butterfly and the dog that gets progressively sadder as you lower its health

here's the rotten from dark souls 2. it's made of dead people.

edit: if you look closely, you can see that it doesn't have legs, just dead people who crawl in the direction it wishes to move. namely, your direction.

OTP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The pursuer in dark souls 2 is pretty good but not because of what he looks like, he's just a floating dude in armor.

But I like him because he shows up three times I think in a regular playthrough, and every time he does he wrecks your poo poo. He's just a regular tanky dude with a sword but he moves surprisingly fast and has some moves that will just wreck you in one shot if you're not careful. The first time he shows up he completely outclasses you and basically wipes the floor with you, he's the first "boss" in a sense except he doesn't actually have a boss door, he just happens as you're going through the first area. Then he never shows up again until later in that area where he's a regular (still tough) boss.

Then the third time he just teleports into an area you already cleared, and proceeds to kick seven kinds of poo poo out of you once again when you're not expecting it.

Not the most inventive boss, but some of the best boss placement in any game I've played recently.

Edit: Also his preferred mode of transport is being airdropped in by a giant eagle which is pretty metal.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

OwlFancier posted:

The pursuer in dark souls 2 is pretty good but not because of what he looks like, he's just a floating dude in armor.

But I like him because he shows up three times I think in a regular playthrough, and every time he does he wrecks your poo poo. He's just a regular tanky dude with a sword but he moves surprisingly fast and has some moves that will just wreck you in one shot if you're not careful. The first time he shows up he completely outclasses you and basically wipes the floor with you, he's the first "boss" in a sense except he doesn't actually have a boss door, he just happens as you're going through the first area. Then he never shows up again until later in that area where he's a regular (still tough) boss.

Then the third time he just teleports into an area you already cleared, and proceeds to kick seven kinds of poo poo out of you once again when you're not expecting it.

Not the most inventive boss, but some of the best boss placement in any game I've played recently.

Edit: Also his preferred mode of transport is being airdropped in by a giant eagle which is pretty metal.

Also he's a hilarious riff off of Armored Core, which From also makes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Silent Hill has some rad monster designs but here's one of the best, the Twin Victims from 4.

The game is really mediocre over all but these guys are unnerving especially because the first time you run into one its down a long corridor, so the first thing you'll probably see them do is point at you and start whispering.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I guess my favorite rear end monster from a video game is from Catherine? I can't think of other rear end monsters to be honest OP.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I guess my favorite rear end monster from a video game is from Catherine? I can't think of other rear end monsters to be honest OP.

im not completely sure thats an rear end. it looks kinda like a hosed up titjob with legs.

oh and eyes i guess.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A Spider Covets posted:

im not completely sure thats an rear end. it looks kinda like a hosed up titjob with legs.

oh and eyes i guess.

Well I don't have any good pictures and I guess the other person that bought Catherine didn't take any either.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Well I don't have any good pictures and I guess the other person that bought Catherine didn't take any either.

hmmmmm... yea ok that checks out, its an rear end.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :byodood:"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The mutants in LISA are pretty weird.

Most of them don't even go out of their way to attack you too like most monsters. Some refuse to attack you completely. They just stare at you and make unsettling noises.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Of all the things RE4 ripped off they did the Predalien best.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Random monsters I like

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Quite honestly I think this speaks for itself

These dudes were the first significant enemies in Silent Hill 3 and owned a ton. In Silent Hill 2 for the first two thirds of the game practically everything you encounter was an easily thrashed trash mob because of ~themes~, then come the sequel the first enemy you fight and a frequent spawn for the first half the game is these hulking fucks who are practically unengageable in melee and are way too durable to regularly kill with pistols, they really helped sell the 'you are a small girl in a terrifying, deadly world' feel the game had going in a big way

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 12, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

These dudes were the first significant enemies in Silent Hill 3 and owned a ton. In Silent Hill 2 for the first two thirds of the game practically everything you encounter was an easily thrashed trash mob because of ~themes~, then come the sequel the first enemy you fight and a frequent spawn for the first half the game is these hulking fucks who are practically unengageable in melee and are way too durable to regular kill with pistols, they really helped sell the 'you are a small girl in a terrifying, deadly world' feel the game had going in a big way

They could also kill you in like two hits. A wonderful way to set the tone of the game, because right away you're up against something you want to avoid at all costs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pft, that's nothing compared to the most terrifying enemy ever conceived;

A fat water man! :supaburn:

Its a boss in Pikmin 2 that is completely invulnerable, will crush your entire army if you let it get close, and shows up on every floor of its dungeon if you waste too much time. You can't kill it until the very last floor. Despite looking ridiculous its actually really loving stressful.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

If you're not careful, he'll use a ruler, which lets him easily find the length of things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So you go through Tourian, blast the poo poo out of Mother Brain just like in the original Metroid,

and then this happens. :black101:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This motherfucker right here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Mad Hatter from American McGee's Alice was pretty great.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Quite honestly I think this speaks for itself

The Cyberdemon is pretty cool, but Doom II had a couple of better monsters. The mancubi I think are a slightly cooler take on the same concept, and the arch-viles were the coolest. It really helps in both cases that they have great sound effects as well as looking awesome.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 13, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

This motherfucker right here.

Christ, this.

Timed my grenades like depth charges because I wanted to avoid getting in the water with those motherfuckers

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Doomtrain is a pestilence locomotive (from space?) with a mean mug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VjvBaMHJg

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Maiden Astraea, from Demon's Souls.

She is protected by a knight Garl Vinland, whom if you kill and talk to her, she commits suicide since you killed her knight, and you get her soul

OR, you can wade through the lake of her.... well... birth fluids, and deal with her demon babies. If you attack her she casts a spell trying to kill you, and guilt trips you for hurting her

Seriously, most hosed up and sick monster I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Always found Ultimecia pretty creepy looking

• Locked thread