Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Inflammatory posted:

never forget

Following that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

These assholes from RE4. Pretty easy to deal with once you know how but the sounds they make and the way they move is just unsettling as all hell.

Honorable mention for these dudes as well because I think everyone has watched some kind of iteration of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thought to themselves at some point 'these people are loving useless, I could totally take that guy. Look at how dumb he is!' but when this rear end in a top hat comes running at you with a chainsaw you promptly poo poo yourself and die in the most brutal of ways.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

These assholes from RE4. Pretty easy to deal with once you know how but the sounds they make and the way they move is just unsettling as all hell.

Honorable mention for these dudes as well because I think everyone has watched some kind of iteration of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thought to themselves at some point 'these people are loving useless, I could totally take that guy. Look at how dumb he is!' but when this rear end in a top hat comes running at you with a chainsaw you promptly poo poo yourself and die in the most brutal of ways.

RE4 was so great for its time, I remember the first time I saw somebody playing it on gamecube and I was like "What loving game is THAT?" :stonk:

To me though when it comes to ridiculous sickass monsters in RE4, these guys were the most memorable:

Human Centipede?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

from LISA

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Contra always had the sickest monsters:

If that didn't give you nightmares when you were six, you're a stronger man than I.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
You guys certainly came close, what with the Resident Evil and the LISA. What you didn't do was put them together, when you get Lisa Trevor.

That's right, she is wearing a mask out of human faces! Why? Well (spoiler for really old game at this point, but meh) when her dad finished the mansion, good ol' Umbrella thought 'hey, we have some test subjects right here, let's see what happens if we give viruses to the daughter?!', as evil scientists are wont to do. So, every time they come up with a new virus, into Lisa it goes! T-virus, G-virus (synthesised from her), Nemesis, you name it, they tried it out on her. So, completely hopelessly insane, she wanders around the estate, occasionally turning up to scare the poo poo out of you with her moans, the clinking of chains the only warning before she turns up. Oh, and she's invincible. Sorry.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Following that

i love him

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jesus loving christ, I forgot this.

This and the loving Half-Life fish.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I just used the potato.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

sickest boss of the decade

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

This too

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

MrBims posted:

from LISA

Don't forget his ability to insta-perma kill your party members by biting their heads off. Or this happy fellow, who you find sitting alone in the desert surrounded by piles of meat.

UntilYouAreSoNude fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 16, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

This motherfucker right here.

The sort of rusty squeal they make when they finally die was always music to my ears.

MrBims posted:

from LISA

The image doesn't really capture the full creepiness of this motherfucker unless it's accompanied by the music that plays and sound effects that he makes during the fight, and the abruptness of his appearance. He's seriously a creepy goddamn dude. I blinded him and set him on fire and kept him that way until he finally died.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zaphod42 posted:

RE4 was so great for its time, I remember the first time I saw somebody playing it on gamecube and I was like "What loving game is THAT?" :stonk:

To me though when it comes to ridiculous sickass monsters in RE4, these guys were the most memorable:

Human Centipede?

Yeah, for all the boss monsters, it is your regular head popping Las Plagas that are really cool for how they disrupt the normal gameplay. For the most part you are just plugging normal looking dudes in the head, then boom, giant tentacle thing run RUN!

Then you get the ones where the parasite pops off and chases you. Fun times.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

McGavin posted:

Contra always had the sickest monsters:

If that didn't give you nightmares when you were six, you're a stronger man than I.

Contra was my first thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Rdsqx34fE

Also, the final boss of the first game being a giant heart was so loving wacked-out and creepy as a kid. The actual fight is pretty easy, but goddamn. They way it palpitates faster and faster as you do more damage to it is also pretty sick in both senses of the word.

Lovely Senorita posted:

a floating basketball of people attached to the hip that scream and fall off when you hit them

the floor is also covered in people

Legion was my second thought. I finally played SotN a decade or so after it came out and seeing that still made me say "Holy poo poo that's hosed up and awesome."

loving Konami, man.

EDIT: From Obscure Video Games, one from Gynoug/Wings of Wor (Genesis/Mega Drive):

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 16, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fangz posted:

Yeah, for all the boss monsters, it is your regular head popping Las Plagas that are really cool for how they disrupt the normal gameplay. For the most part you are just plugging normal looking dudes in the head, then boom, giant tentacle thing run RUN!

Then you get the ones where the parasite pops off and chases you. Fun times.

drat. The way when their head popped and that centipede came out, instead of the slow lumbering, their pace quickens and the make a beeline straight for you while that thing wiggles all over the place. Gave me the shivers the first time I saw that.

Discount Viscount posted:

Contra was my first thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Rdsqx34fE

Also, the final boss of the first game being a giant heart was so loving wacked-out and creepy as a kid. The actual fight is pretty easy, but goddamn. They way it palpitates faster and faster as you do more damage to it is also pretty sick in both senses of the word.

Legion was my second thought. I finally played SotN a decade or so after it came out and seeing that still made me say "Holy poo poo that's hosed up and awesome."

loving Konami, man.

EDIT: From Obscure Video Games, one from Gynoug/Wings of Wor (Genesis/Mega Drive):

I had heard that Gynoug had some gross stuff like that but I never checked it out. Gonna have to fix that. Shooter games with that body horror type stuff has always been interesting to me. There's another game that recently was Greenlit on Steam called Super Cyborg with the same aesthetics.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308241120

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

OwlFancier posted:

The pursuer in dark souls 2 is pretty good but not because of what he looks like, he's just a floating dude in armor.

But I like him because he shows up three times I think in a regular playthrough, and every time he does he wrecks your poo poo. He's just a regular tanky dude with a sword but he moves surprisingly fast and has some moves that will just wreck you in one shot if you're not careful. The first time he shows up he completely outclasses you and basically wipes the floor with you, he's the first "boss" in a sense except he doesn't actually have a boss door, he just happens as you're going through the first area. Then he never shows up again until later in that area where he's a regular (still tough) boss.

Then the third time he just teleports into an area you already cleared, and proceeds to kick seven kinds of poo poo out of you once again when you're not expecting it.

Not the most inventive boss, but some of the best boss placement in any game I've played recently.

Edit: Also his preferred mode of transport is being airdropped in by a giant eagle which is pretty metal.

Yeah, the first time you see the Pursuer, you just climb up onto a large raised platform that some dick fire bomb thrower is on, and off in the distance you see a giant bird carrying something, no cutscene or anything, you might even miss it trying to get the fire bomb guy. Then he floats on over and slashes you with his giant sword. If you run off the platform like a coward, I think he just kind of makes a portal in the ground and descends, and then you have to wait until the actual boss fight. And each fight takes place in increasingly cramped quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wamdoodle posted:

I had heard that Gynoug had some gross stuff like that but I never checked it out. Gonna have to fix that. Shooter games with that body horror type stuff has always been interesting to me. There's another game that recently was Greenlit on Steam called Super Cyborg with the same aesthetics.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=308241120

Yeah, lots of shooters use that aesthetic, especially great when they save it up for the end so things go from spaceships and lasers to blood n guts near the end.

While it's not a fightable enemy, props to Fetus of God in Darkstalkers:

• Locked thread