Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Thursday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

keevo posted:

I think I'm becoming a fan of Clint Bowyer? http://instagram.com/p/zLiUJ_w9My/

+10 points to clint...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

keevo posted:

Why weren't you already, Clint owns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

keevo posted:

Serious Roger Rabbit vibes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peanut President posted:

Reed Sorensen is out of gonna run a backup (if they can get one) in the duel and the 500 because he wrecked their only car at qualifying. I know you're a big Hendrick and Penske fanboy so you don't give a gently caress about the shithouse teams but group qualifying at a plate track is dumb as hell.

I think you misunderstand me.

Yeah, it is dumb. It's VERY dumb, potentially the dumbest thing NASCAR has done lately, and I don't say those words lightly. But NASCAR of the last ten years has done nothing but stupid, awful poo poo that nobody wants. I've enjoyed NASCAR a lot more since I decided to embrace the stupidity rather than bitch about it, and I recommend that more people do it.

And for the record my favorite drivers are Dave Blaney and Casey Mears so I care quite a bit about the shithouse teams.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

keevo posted:

Clint is awesome. His unfiltered comments on Sunday, his rant about road rage at Sonoma, and now this. :D

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

keevo posted:

"Remember me, Brian?! When I bitched out your sport, I talked just...like...this!!!!"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

I think you misunderstand me.

I think you misunderstand the NASCAR threads.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

keevo posted:

He pisses me off...and then he does things like this which more than redeem him.

Those bug eyes were loving horrifying at 12:17am and are probably going to be nightmare fuel now, even if the rest of the content was epic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

I think you misunderstand the NASCAR threads.

I understand them perfectly: they're full of bitter cynics wishing for the old days that we will never, ever return to because the people running the sport are braindead. You can either continue to be bitter about it and hate watching it, or you can accept the fact that poo poo's hosed and watch with the hope of maximum shenanigans. I think everyone would be happier and the threads would be a lot less angry and a lot more fun if everyone chose the latter option.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah Peanut stop being such a cynical codger

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

I understand them perfectly: they're full of bitter cynics wishing for the old days that we will never, ever return to because the people running the sport are braindead. You can either continue to be bitter about it and hate watching it, or you can accept the fact that poo poo's hosed and watch with the hope of maximum shenanigans. I think everyone would be happier and the threads would be a lot less angry and a lot more fun if everyone chose the latter option.

I like that NASCAR is at fault for not going back to the old days you like, but anyone that suggests the same about Indy is the old delusional fan and not the sanctioning body.

New NASCAR is cool you should just deal with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

When in fuckhell have I ever defended IndyCar's sanctioning body, I mean they just gave Randy loving Bernard his job back for crying out loud.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

vikingskull all you ever want from indycar is ovals and americans and maybe front-engined cars (though i could never figure out if that was a joke; it should be), which is basically just nascar, a series that's also a joke these days. plus all the foreign drivers that have managed to stick it out in nascar have become pretty popular. so stop being so defensive all the time you have terrible ideas.

also it's brian barnhart* not bernard, bernard was kind of cool

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

more pressingly, is any racing series NOT currently a joke? i'm with cubey, just steer into the skid

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"New" NASCAR sounds a lot like "New" Coke.

Cubey posted:

Eh. You just have to wait until the idiots up top quit making money from TV deals. That's literally the thing keeping NASCAR afloat right now.

Once that happens? You won't see them attempt stupid poo poo any more.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 17, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Why not just collect all the (legitimate) complaints in one spot so we can just go on waiting for the next clownshoes/artificial story moment and move on with the thread.

-The on track product is awful with these cars and tires. Particularly at the front where passing is near impossible, but all but a small handful of tracks have more than a lane or lane and a half at best. Side by side racing for multiple laps between two guys running two lines is rare.
-Group qual isn't a terrible idea in theory, but bringing it to plate tracks, as seen and said, is just idiotic and not anywhere close to an accurate measure of car strength. Numbers drawn from a hat is just about as good a measure. It makes it more interesting, but interesting doesn't mean good.
-Even if the product was good, it's not like you can see any of it on tv. Despite everything being HD and widescreen, you can only watch 2 cars at a time, if you're lucky, 3, and if it's a full moon while the stars are aligned, you might get to see 4 cars at once in a shot! And when you do get a shot that shows more than that, it's a low angle speed camera that either doesn't track, or twirls itself so quick you can't follow any racing going on anyway. And that's when they aren't in commercial which is now at about half the time. (is there any site that tracks the screen time? How long they're on air/in commercial during green and during cautions?)
-The Chase has been deservedly mocked, only 5 of 11 trophies have gone to the best of the season. Yes, strategies would have been a little different, but you're still probably looking at best maybe 7 that would have won in either format under old system. Again, it's had it's interesting moments, but it's not what a racing season is about.
-The point per position change didn't do any favors either for pushing drivers to gain spots. Passing for 35th shouldn't be anything remotely as significant as passing for 5th.
-The knockout system was supposed to be a thing that forced drivers to win. And yet Newman was right there at the end one spot away from winning it all with no wins, 13 drivers having more top 5s, and 9 having more top 10s than him. That's why most of us who cheer for shenanigans were pulling for him so hard.
-Changing the cars completely every time the wind blows and screwing with the smaller teams not named Gibbs/Hendrick/Penske/RCR . Although between those four you've covered about 3/4s the field.
-There are no more sponsors out there, NASCAR has made everything it's own official sponsor.

Have I missed anything?

Also, preemptive reply: Because I've been awake all weekend doing medical babysitting and am bored off my rear end, that's why.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

nascar is good as hell actually

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

be nice wicka posted:

also it's brian barnhart* not bernard, bernard was kind of cool

Goddammit that's like the 50th time I've gotten them confused :negative:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh. You just have to wait until the idiots up top quit making money from TV deals. That's literally the thing keeping NASCAR afloat right now.

Once that happens? You won't see them attempt stupid poo poo any more.

Then we'll be waiting a decade for that too happen. I'll doubt they'll stop making crazy ideas just to get any fans back within the next 10 years or beyond.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have switched my mindset from organized racing to spot the shenanigans and see what crazy they come up with next.

Honestly this whole busch driscoll thing accurately describes the pants on head stuff that is going on in nascar..

Waits for eldura truck race to be replaced with a 1.5 mile tri-oval.

Edit that: Burton Smith owns.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 17, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Slickdrac posted:

-The knockout system was supposed to be a thing that forced drivers to win. And yet Newman was right there at the end one spot away from winning it all with no wins, 13 drivers having more top 5s, and 9 having more top 10s than him. That's why most of us who cheer for shenanigans were pulling for him so hard.

Denny was in contention despite running 35 races.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

-Even if the product was good, it's not like you can see any of it on tv. Despite everything being HD and widescreen, you can only watch 2 cars at a time, if you're lucky, 3, and if it's a full moon while the stars are aligned, you might get to see 4 cars at once in a shot! And when you do get a shot that shows more than that, it's a low angle speed camera that either doesn't track, or twirls itself so quick you can't follow any racing going on anyway. And that's when they aren't in commercial which is now at about half the time. (is there any site that tracks the screen time? How long they're on air/in commercial during green and during cautions?)

Surprisingly Jayski hasn't been talked to by NASCAR to stop giving commercial info. These stats are race time compared to commercial time all last year.

Fox/FS1 (17 races): total: 3361 (race 2593 / commercial 768)
TNT (6 races): total: 1136 (race 809 / commercial 327)
ESPN (14 races): total: 2990 (race 2393 / commercial 537)
ABC (3 races): total: 574 (race 436 / commercial 138)
Total for all networks: 8061 (race 6231 / commercial 1770)

A quarter to third of the race is lost to commercials.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BMB5150 posted:

A quarter to third of the race is lost to commercials.
.....and when you can't get into something at home, for free, what incentive do you have to shell out ever-increasing amounts of money to go to a live event? The racing product you get in person is a lot different than the racing product you get on tv.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alright. I live in the US, I don't have cable. How do I watch the qualifying and race and not be a criminal? poo poo looks like I missed a race already.

Indy got me intrested enough in ovals that I want to give NASCAR a try.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Norns posted:

Alright. I live in the US, I don't have cable. How do I watch the qualifying and race and not be a criminal? poo poo looks like I missed a race already.

You missed an exhibition event and the first round of qualifying. The second round (the Duels) are on FS1, so no go there, but the race proper is on Sunday on Fox.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

no don't

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
if you could handle a delay; nascar were uploading the races last year on youtube after the fact. dunno if they're doing that this year though

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

They also started streaming some of the races live later in the season, although I don't know if that was more of an ESPN thing or not. Regardless, it's worth your while to join us in IRC during the race.

In other news, MRN is supposed to have a mobile app released on Friday.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

leica posted:

Yeah Peanut stop being such a cynical codger

I mean I can always change gimmicks but I've been working this one for like 7 years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The difference between wanting Indycar to go back to the "old days" and NASCAR to go back to the "old days" is that people who want Indycar to go back want it for insane ideological reasons and people who want NASCAR to go back want it because the racing is currently atrociously bad.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Peanut President posted:

I mean I can always change gimmicks but I've been working this one for like 7 years.

You should do a face turn this season and love every minute of it.

In fact let's all do that and soak in the glory of Gordon's last season as he ushers in the future of racing with Chase Elliot with whom you can connect on SnapChat at hashtag #NASCARonFOX

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lord Wexia posted:

You should do a face turn this season and love every minute of it.

In fact let's all do that and soak in the glory of Gordon's last season as he ushers in the future of racing with Chase Elliot with whom you can connect on SnapChat at hashtag #NASCARonFOX

Let me tout about how cool #roman #reigns is first.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Slickdrac posted:

-The point per position change didn't do any favors either for pushing drivers to gain spots. Passing for 35th shouldn't be anything remotely as significant as passing for 5th.

Of all the (true) things in that list, this one is the most overlooked. I remember Darrel Waltrip(?) saying how great the change was since that confounded weird system was so complex that "I couldn't explain it to you if I tried." Then those same people who said that was better (because it was "simpler") cheered how great the current elimination system is even though it reads like the dissertation of Doctor Seuss.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nobody likes an rear end-kisser, and NASCAR has TONS of them associated with the sport.

In other news:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle23023894/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Nobody likes an rear end-kisser, and NASCAR has TONS of them associated with the sport.

NASCAR's media has always had an incredibly paternalistic attitude toward the fans. People like Ed Hinton have gone out of their way not only to explain why NASCAR's latest changes are good, but why the fans are wrong to claim that their latest changes are bad.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Even when they come to the realization that the emperor has no clothes, there's a dissonance between what they defended and what they're throwing under the bus.

It's like their thought process is "Everything I saw and wrote about before was correct and I have absolutely zero regrets, BUT NOW NASCAR CHANGED ONE LITTLE THING AND ITS ALL hosed UP, WHY DIDNT YOU FANS TELL ME SOONER?"

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I read "NCTS" as "NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series." I miss that title.

Alain Post posted:

NASCAR's media has always had an incredibly paternalistic attitude toward the fans. People like Ed Hinton have gone out of their way not only to explain why NASCAR's latest changes are good, but why the fans are wrong to claim that their latest changes are bad.

After the announcement of the bracket system, didn't Kenny Wallace say (or tweet) something like "People need to quit their bitching"? I'm pretty sure he meant fans and actually used the word "bitching".

E: Looked it up, that was actually a post here last Summer after a modified race. It wasn't clear to me whether it was about that or not. Was it?

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 17, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

During qualifying Mikey said "the drivers don't like it but it's really exciting for he fans" while the whole field was parked on pit lane. Also you can still call it CTS if you just treat Campingworld as one word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
We got an ice storm last night in the Charlotte/Concord area where a lot of the teams are based out of (most of their jets fly out of Concord Regional Airport which is just a couple miles from Charlotte Motor Speedway) The Speedway sent their jet dryers out to dry off the runway so the team jets could get to Daytona.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/speedway-jet-dryers-headed-concord-airport-dry-run/nkCqF/

• Locked thread