Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4TnopiuzQ

Welcome to the NASCAR season SAS thread. Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time. If you like racecars that go around in circles and turn left, this is the thread for you. If you don't, then gently caress you we'll help you learn.

The main focus of this thread is the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The best of the best in stockcar racing, the season spans 36 races; 26 regular-season races and the 10-race Chase Playoff Elimination Buzzword Extravaganza. 16 drivers go in, 1 comes out as champion.

E: Here's a nice preview for the season, and basically NASCAR Cup 101 for any first-timers.

2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule:

quote:

Sat, Feb 14 8:00 PM ET Sprint Unlimited Daytona International Speedway FOX
Thu, Feb 19 7:00 PM ET Budweiser Duel 1 Daytona International Speedway FS1
Thu, Feb 19 8:30 PM ET Budweiser Duel 2 Daytona International Speedway FS1
Sun, Feb 22 1:00 PM ET Daytona 500 Daytona International Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 1 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Atlanta Atlanta Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 8 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Las Vegas Las Vegas Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 15 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Phoenix Phoenix International Raceway FOX
Sun, Mar 22 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at California Auto Club Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 29 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville Martinsville Speedway FOX
Sat, Apr 11 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Texas Texas Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Apr 19 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Bristol Motor Speedway FOX
Sat, Apr 25 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Richmond Richmond International Raceway FS1
Sun, May 3 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Talladega Talladega Superspeedway FOX
Sat, May 9 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kansas Kansas Speedway FS1
Fri, May 15 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Showdown Charlotte Motor Speedway FS1
Sat, May 16 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Charlotte Motor Speedway FS1
Sun, May 24 6:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Charlotte Charlotte Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, May 31 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Dover Dover International Speedway FS1
Sun, Jun 7 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Pocono Pocono Raceway FS1
Sun, Jun 14 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan Michigan International Speedway FS1
Sun, Jun 28 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Sonoma Sonoma FS1
Sun, Jul 5 7:45 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Daytona Daytona International Speedway NBC
Sat, Jul 11 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kentucky Kentucky Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Jul 19 1:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at New Hampshire New Hampshire Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Jul 26 3:30 PM ET The Brickyard 400 Indianapolis Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Aug 2 1:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Pocono Pocono Raceway NBCSN
Sun, Aug 9 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Watkins Glen Watkins Glen International NBCSN
Sun, Aug 16 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan Michigan International Speedway NBCSN
Sat, Aug 22 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Bristol Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Sep 6 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Darlington Darlington Raceway NBC
Sat, Sep 12 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Richmond Richmond International Raceway NBCSN

SPRINT CUP CHASE FOR THE CUP

DATE RACE TV
Sun, Sep 20 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Chicago Chicagoland Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Sep 27 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at New Hampshire New Hampshire Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Oct 4 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Dover Dover International Speedway NBCSN
Sat, Oct 10 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Charlotte Charlotte Motor Speedway NBC
Sun, Oct 18 2:15 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kansas Kansas Speedway NBC
Sun, Oct 25 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Talladega Talladega Superspeedway NBCSN
Sun, Nov 1 1:15 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville Martinsville Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Nov 8 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Texas Texas Motor Speedway NBC
Sun, Nov 15 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Phoenix Phoenix International Raceway NBC
Sun, Nov 22 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Miami Homestead-Miami Speedway NBC

Last year's Chase field:

Top, L-R: Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, Ryan Newman, Joey Logano, Kurt 'The Outlaw' Busch, Matt Kenseth, Aric Almirola
Bottom, L-R: Brad Keselowski, Greg Biffle, AJ Allmendinger, Kasey Kahne, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kevin Harvick
Not Pictured: Jimmie Johnson

So what happened this off-season?

Not much, really, except for:
- Jeff Gordon announcing his retirement after the end of this season, and Chase Elliott being anointed The Chosen One at Hendrick Motorsports
- Kurt Busch going to court in some crazy stuff - hell, just Google it. It's hard to explain.
- Speaking of crazy stuff, Brian Vickers had his bi-annual near-death experience. He'll be ready to race in a few weeks, though, so don't worry.
- Joey Logano got married. If you've seen 'Rush', you know what'll happen next.
- Schedule changes! A few tweaks here and there, plus Darlington going back to Labor Day weekend, as God and Harold Brasington intended it.
- NBC reclaiming NASCAR tv rights for the second half of the season, and ESPN leaving to talk about A-Rod, Lebron, Johnny Football or some poo poo like that.
- Rules changes! Some aero changes, and tapered spacers for the Cup series, apparently because the success of the Nationwide Series :rip: was something to copy.
- Driver/Team changes aplenty:
Carl Edwards to a 4th Joe Gibbs Racing car, numbered 19
Trevor Bayne takes over Edwards' ride at Roush-Fenway, renumbered to 6
Ryan Blaney to the Wood Brothers 21, taking over for Bayne
Marcos Ambrose hosed off to Australia, replaced by The Great Buckeye Hope that is Sam Hornish
Michael Annett to HScott Racing, to be a teammate to Justin Allgaier
Alex Bowman to Tommy Baldwin Racing to drive the 7
Brendan Gaughan driving for some scrub-rear end team
John Edward Burton Burton moving to BK Racing, along with Matt Dibenedetto and JJ Yeley
Ron Hornaday driving for Curtis Key
Cole Whitt to Front Row Racing

Like I said, a quiet off-season.

---------------------------------------------------------
:siren: THE IRC CHAT IS HERE. CLICK HERE FOR IRC. I KNOW NOBODY IS GOING TO READ THE OP AND CLICK THIS BUT IT IS ALWAYS HERE. :siren:

SASCAR Synchtube thread.
Official NASCAR Site
Jayski.com, rumors & news site.
LASTCAR's LASTCAR Blog
Our Podcast, Rolling Start (archvies)

This is not the Indycar thread, this is not the F1 thread. There are threads for these. There is also a Misc. Auto Racing thread. Take discussions to the appropriate place, thanks.

One last thing - GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHORT TRACK

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Filler post for Xfinity/Trucks/ARCA/other cool stuff.

:siren: FIRST BIT OF COOL poo poo :siren:

Q: True or False: Speedweeks is just at Daytona International Speedway.
A: False! New Smyrna Speedway has their own version of Speedweeks as well. 3 different types of latemodel, Modifieds, Trucks and the K&N series on a 1/2 mile paved oval, with cars from all over the country (and :canada:) competing every night.

Q: True or False: New Smyrna Speedweeks can only be experienced in person.
A: False! Starting this year, Fanschoice.tv will have live coverage from NSS Speedweeks of practice and feature events, streaming most nights - for free!

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm going to watch all of those races and complain about 75%~ of them.
I see this is not your first rodeo.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Muddy Burphy posted:

I was listening to Shawn Michaels on Chris Jericho's podcast and they talked about his son's racing career (I believe he had been racing legends cars), and he mentioned that they pulled him out of that because as he was getting more successful they were finding that the situations often involved bad behavior or unsportsmanlike tactics paying off. I found that interesting since it's so prevalent in K&N with the 15-16 year olds that come up.
It's not healthy for the sport, or for sports in general.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jamie Little: The Millennial Jeannie Zelasko
:fuckoff:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

tater_salad posted:

If it doesnt run like crap maybe ill mirror it to my tv.. is it racing or practice?
Features only, but there's 5 classes running, and traditionally night 1 is a wreckfest. I hope it works with Chromecast.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

elmono311 posted:

Thanks, Edwards, for not doing anything to help push Truex because Kenses is your teammate. rear end.
Good strategy move, IMO.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Clint's right, but take some responsibility for oh, I don't know, actually turning the 44 when you still had room going into the corner :cmon:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Also who suggested this thread title because it makes me laugh every time I read it. I wonder how many people get it.
It works on multiple levels.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

IceAgeComing posted:

I know about the duels but the last few spots are set by time and provisionals, right? Unless I've been confused watching these things for the last few years
Spots 31-36 come from the fastest speeds in the first round (1A and 1B, in this case) of group qualifying, not fastest laps overall. As it stands right now, there's a scenario where both MWR cars and the 10 could go home, so let's root for that outcome, shall we?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Smoke has finally figured out the joys of Twitter. In response to whatever happy crap Kenny Wallace said about group qualifying:
I liked Kenny until he started along the same route where NASCAR could do no wrong, at the exact same time when Buschwacking effectively killed his career. He's doing what he has to do to put food on the table, but it's selling out.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Thursday night.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BMB5150 posted:

A quarter to third of the race is lost to commercials.
.....and when you can't get into something at home, for free, what incentive do you have to shell out ever-increasing amounts of money to go to a live event? The racing product you get in person is a lot different than the racing product you get on tv.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

They also started streaming some of the races live later in the season, although I don't know if that was more of an ESPN thing or not. Regardless, it's worth your while to join us in IRC during the race.

In other news, MRN is supposed to have a mobile app released on Friday.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nobody likes an rear end-kisser, and NASCAR has TONS of them associated with the sport.

In other news:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle23023894/

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Even when they come to the realization that the emperor has no clothes, there's a dissonance between what they defended and what they're throwing under the bus.

It's like their thought process is "Everything I saw and wrote about before was correct and I have absolutely zero regrets, BUT NOW NASCAR CHANGED ONE LITTLE THING AND ITS ALL hosed UP, WHY DIDNT YOU FANS TELL ME SOONER?"

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

AirborneSpore posted:

Only in Nascar. Can I get one of those to clear my road and driveway here in New Hampshire?
How about this?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yes, but what about Kirk Shelmerdine?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Larry Mac's book on how to be a CC is an interesting read, too.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Peanut President posted:

"i think we should kill the jews and also I like ranch dressing"
Welp, there's the title for the Chase post right there.

I don't think Earnhardt had many more seasons past 2001 left in him at that point, at least on a full-time basis. The late 90s weren't kind to him physically, the heir apparent was waiting in the wings at RCR and DEI was starting to really get going.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Canadian Tire is confirmed to be leaving the NASCAR Canada series at the end of 2015, eliminating their sponsorship of Scott Steckley but keeping sponsorship of Mosport.

Let the games begin.

E: Dale Earnhardt fans are coming out of the woodwork on Facebook/Twitter today like baby boomers who said they went to the original Woodstock.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I won't disagree with that, as that articulates a lot of my thoughts on him as well. With that being said, I'm not rushing to canonize the man and declare him everything that NASCAR after he died, and I'm getting that vibe from a lot of people.

The same people who cheered him on in 1998 were probably the same people pissed off with him at Bristol in 1999, and that's ok.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Sterling Marlin?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So Kyle Busch is running 26 Xfinity races this year....:suicide:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

things heard on fanschoice

"he smacked that wall like it owed him money"
Mike Joy needs to adapt this, especially for a Travis Kvapil caution.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I love how NASCAR is surprised that nobody is practicing 7 hours before the Duels start.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The qualifying races for the 500 are this evening, the race itself is on Sunday. Most races are Sunday, except when they're not.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch compound:

http://www.si.com/racing/2015/02/18...icetype=default

:allears:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

10 DNQs and Kurt gets suspended indefinitely tomorrow, letting Danica drive the 41.

You heard it here first.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

quote:

Kelly Crandall ‏@KellyCrandall 18m18 minutes ago
“Holy crap, it felt dire. This whole scenario is crazy,” says Patrick about going into the race having to race her way in #NASCAR

Jeff Gluck ‏@jeff_gluck 17m17 minutes ago
Danica: "This whole scenario is crazy that the series has put us in. ... It's fairly unfair based on how much is out of your hands."

:fuckoff:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

When the top-15/16 drive in from each race, how hard is that to understand? That's 100% in your hands.

As a sidenote, I wonder if Jeb Burton replaces Johnny Sauter for the 500.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Maybe she was bitching about that, I took it more towards the qualifying format for the 500.

E: http://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/201...ualifying-race/

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 20, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

tater_salad posted:

I wouldn't mind the format of qualify and duel.. but...
The problem is theres all this other poo poo around it.. speed, owner points, provisionals.
It shouldn't take a 10 min video to describe qualifying for a race.
It's really not hard to understand, it's just having to look at theoretical scenarios until the end of Duel #2. After you get the top-16, it's pretty straightforward.

E: This documentary on the '79 Daytona 500 is a thing, alright, with an interesting interpretation of the 1960s and 70s.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 20, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

"Who wants to race for the Pablo Picasso Vagina Cup?"

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

50 Shades of :airquote: Allergies :airquote:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

seventimessix posted:

So with Kurt out indefinitely there's almost no chance the 41 team runs past Daytona, right?

It'll run.

E: To make it more clear, it'll run because:
1 - The associate/secondary primary sponsors have paid to run;
2 - The car will make the first 5 races of the year based on owner points; and
3 - With on-track testing banned this season, the data from practice/race sessions is too valuable to lose by axing the car.

They might get a pay driver for it; I personally want the #41 Zaxby's Chevrolet of John Wes Townley. They can test a replacement for Kurt or Danica (or even Tony) for the future as well, like Regan Smith.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 21, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Mason Mingus DNQ'd? :ramsay:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Cubey posted:

WHY WAS THERE NO YELLOW WHAT THE gently caress NASCAR

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Unless he slammed on the brakes the second the tire went flat, there was plenty of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

That was before the name of the game for NASCAR was one upping America's largest sport in the discipline department everything.

• Locked thread