Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
trying to capture old games is a total bitch because nothing works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i've not watched nascar qualifying since they brought in the groups, so I haven't seen any other session of it. Who the gently caress thought that multi car qualifying would work on a plate track: and also that five minute long sessions would be a good idea? It probably works in every other other track (or would with longer sessions, although I gather that the session length and two groups thing is a plate track only thing) but it seems like a big clusterfuck at tracks that are known for being places that lots of people crash.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

they should do single car qualifying, but take the plates off and let the cars run unrestricted

although that's probably not really that safe, it would be interesting

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Muddy Burphy posted:

Kurt Busch's idea about adopting Indy 500 qualifying for the 500 is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Indianapolis qualifying can be genuinely really exciting; but really only when you have a great deal more than 33 competitive cars otherwise bump day (or the first day in this new lovely system they've come up with) turns into a huge waste of time and just another practice day. Bump Day was cracking in 2010 and 2011. Although adopting that for Daytona is dumb as poo poo - although they apparently used to have two rounds of qualifying for nascar races so it wouldn't be too out there. The only changes I would make personally is going back to single car qualifying on plate tracks since that would be fairer. If they are insistent on the multi car thing for plate tracks; then don't have five minute session lengths

CBJSprague24 posted:

Qualifying for the 500 could be worse. We could have this Top 35-fueled fiasco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUf48pn9x44

THAT poo poo was stupid.

:yikes:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Single car qualifying is lovely and boring on road courses though

Perhaps you should change your qualifying procedure based on the type of track that you are racing at to make it exciting but fair

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Question about setting the grid: are the cars that are set by qualifying speed (31-36th; right?) set by fastest speed when you combine the qualifying sessions or do they rank the later qualifying sessions above the earlier ones? Apparently when you combine qualifying sessions Gordon is only the 7th Fastest which is interesting

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I know about the duels but the last few spots are set by time and provisionals, right? Unless I've been confused watching these things for the last few years

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

if you could handle a delay; nascar were uploading the races last year on youtube after the fact. dunno if they're doing that this year though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

don't insult pastor maldonado like that

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

double file restarts are kinda understandable since if you can start two wide then you should be able to restart two wide

although green-white-checkered is dumb as all hell and was only brought in because nascar fans had a temper tantrum over a late yellow denying dale jr the chance to win a talladega race.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm trying to flick to the duels whenever the cricket has adverts on, and I've literally yet to see any racing because fox has always had commercials on

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Cubey posted:

hornish was eager to prove that he still sucks poo poo in 2015 :bravo:

please don't insult three time indycar champion sam hornish jr

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Ungratek posted:

1 green lag pass for the lead in 120 laps snooooooooore

so worth watching, then?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm betting on danica winning the championship.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

wrong thread

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

rip dogecar guy

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

and they actually acted immediately after the judge's statement rather than wait for the public outcry before suspending the guy indefinitely. Its also a different case, in that the other ones mentioned in the piece were obvious while the Busch thing was a little cloudier.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Norns posted:

Is it like this every year? All these qualifications seem like a giant cluster gently caress.

Its a new system; it was brought in for Sprint Cup last year i think and is new for the lower level series this year. Before it was Single Car qualifying, which you'd only miss if something really went wrong since you could drop to the end of the line if you needed to.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Norns posted:

Man I remeber my first NASCAR race like it was just a week ago. Because it was.

im sorry

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

mearn posted:

The generator got released early!

http://bite.cool/dalejr/

i must have accidentally opened the smoke simulator instead, i got "Nite all. Guess I’m gonna use that champions provisional today. Haha drat."

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I don't think that this has been mentioned in this thread but all star voting is dumb this year - its a "vote daily!" thing (that might be the same, I can't remember) with votes counting double if shared on Facebook or twitter. You also can't vote from outside the US, despite it not being mentioned as limited to America in the T+Cs.

What I'm saying is that everyone should vote daily for Wise anyway because it would annoy NASCAR and get a cool driver in the All Star race.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Only close the pits when it would be dangerous to let cars enter, pit or leave; and penalise people that drive dangerously to the pits when the yellow comes out

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'd personally remove F1 from that list since its not directly comparable to any of those other series - America is NASCAR's primary (and its probably fair to say only) market so its going to cater to the American market while the US has always been a comparatively small market for F1 and they've never quite broken through. Its natural that a racing series where most of the races are very early in the morning isn't going to be as popular than one that races at 1:30 or 3:30. Also F1 certainly isn't scared to play with gimmicks, although none quite as bad as the Green White Checkered...

Your wider point is valid though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

so its single lap qualifying but with multiple cars on the track at once?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Muddy Burphy posted:

Surely that will be addressed.

but then surely the first car out has a huge disadvantage because everyone else has a bit of a draft

just go back to single lap qualifying at the bloody plate tracks, knockout can work everywhere else but not there

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

CactusWeasle posted:

A nice road course : oval ratio. Even if those road tracks are awful.

lol no

although NASCAR-type cars at Brands Indy would be interesting

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

is bristol worth watching?

i was playing cricket on sunday so missed it, and I have time to either watch it or long beach tomorrow

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

500 miles at North Wilkesboro :negative:

bristol 24 hours

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Please don't insult daytona 500 winner Trevor bayne

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

so what's new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

NASCAR is very good, and that race was worth staying up till 4:20am for

e: 30/30/10Green - that has all the dumb gimmicks you need, while not being dull as poo poo. get a good car package as well

• Locked thread