Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I was at work so I missed the race, but that Kyle hit was evil. He's lucky he only has a broken leg. Just sick. Thanks for prioritizing driver safety, NASCAR!

I can't find anything about Mike Wallace. What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Checking in, hoping for a good NASCAR season. What happened to Kyle?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12360699

He ate the wall head-on at 100 mph.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Chitwood just said they're going to work overnight to pad that wall for tomorrow's race and then after Sunday they're going to SAFER barrier everything at Daytona.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Give him the year off and let it heal 100%.

He's going to be gone for a long time. Just write off the season so he can monitor his brother's meds.

I can't imagine they fast track Suarez or a revolving door on the #18. I have no idea what they do this year.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/02/21/kyle-busch-injured-multicar-crash-xfinity-series-daytona/23809443/

quote:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Kyle Busch suffered a compound break of his right leg and a fracture of his left foot in in a wreck in the closing laps of the Xfinity Series race at Daytona International Speedway.

He is undergoing surgery on his right leg.

He is out indefinitely.

Busch had surgery in December to fix a problem in his left foot that was causing recurring inflammation. Now that foot is fractured.

Three-time Cup champion Tony Stewart suffered a double compound fracture in his right leg after crashing a sprint car in 2013. He was out of a car for six months as a result and has undergone four surgeries. An expected fifth will come at the end of the 2015 season.

It is not yet known if Busch's injury is similar or what his recovery timeline will be.

Matt Crafton will fill in for him at the Daytona 500. Joe Gibbs Racing has not named a substitute driver for any races beyond Sunday.

With just a few laps left in Saturday's race, Busch's No. 54 Toyota veered off the track and through the grass and hit head-on into a interior wall that has no SAFER barrier.

He appeared to have trouble getting out of the car. When safety workers arrived, they helped him onto the grass and tended to him for about 10 minutes. Busch was alert and talking. He was grimacing and clearly in pain.

He was moved to a stretcher after safety personnel stabilized his right leg, propping it on a pillow. They taped it to his left leg before taking him by ambulance to Halifax Hospital for further evaluation.

On the team radio, spotter Tony Hirschman said Busch was complaining of pain in his neck and back.

Team owner Joe Gibbs, president J.D. Gibbs and Busch's wife Samantha, who was crying, left for the hospital. Busch's wife is pregnant with the couple's first child, due in May.

Drivers immediately reacted on Twitter, asking for tracks and NASCAR to install SAFER barriers everywhere.

Track president Joie Chitwood III and NASCAR took responsibility for not having the wall covered after the crash. Chitwood is having a tire wall installed tonight where Busch crashed. On Monday, the track will begin covering the remaining uncovered concrete walls.

The SAFER barriers were not in use in 2001, when seven-time NASCAR champion Dale Earnhardt Sr. died on the final lap of the Daytona 500 when his car sailed front-first into the outside wall of Turn 4.

SAFER (Steel and Foam Energy Reduction) barriers were used for the first time at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2002. The technology became mandatory at all NASCAR-sanctioned tracks within a few years and is credited with saving lives and preventing serious injuries in accidents in which out-of-control cars have hit walls with violent force.

They are made of a protective safety foam system that creates a buffer with the concrete walls. They are expensive -- it costs about $500 a foot.

NASCAR has repeatedly been asked why SAFER barriers are not required on the inside and outside walls of every track. The reasoning has been that studies have shown certain areas are less likely for cars to hit; if cars hit there, barriers are usually erected shortly thereafter.

In spring 2013, Denny Hamlin broke his back when his No. 11 Toyota ran into a wall -- also without a SAFER barrier -- head on after a wreck at Auto Club Speedway. The track later added SAFER barriers to that wall.

Busch is considered one of the most talented drivers on the Sprint Cup circuit.

The 29-year-old has won 29 Cup races, 70 Xfinity races and 42 Camping World Truck Series races.

He was slated to start fourth in Sunday's Daytona 500.

Even if his leg heals in time he has other serious problems to contend with.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Alain Post posted:

I am basically certain that double file GWCs have caused more stupid and dangerous crashes than racing back ever did. I'm not advocating for racing back, but double file restarts need to go, especially on plate tracks.

Of all the changes NASCAR has made in the last however many years this isn't one to complain about. If they can start the race double file why can't they restart the same way?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Alain Post posted:

It leads to incredibly stupid situations on certain tracks (especially short tracks) where you just get hosed because you happened to be in an even/odd position when the yellow flag came out.

Also I like giving the leader an advantage on the restart. Leading the race should mean something.

There is an advantage. Leader chooses if they want inside or outside lane.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

David Ragan isn't a bad choice given the circumstances. It's not like they expanded to four cars just for him. Guy has two wins and wasn't that bad at Roush. It's definitely a better decision than just throwing your young Truck guys behind the wheel. If he does alright maybe he can replace Hamlin.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I forget whether Elliott was injured for a race, or if this was because his father passed away. I do know it was the first Dover race that season, and I remember Kenseth had a lead lap finish with it.

Matt subbed in because Elliott was going to his dad's funeral. Kenseth finished 6th in that race.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Mark Martin knows he'll be a hall of famer, just not on the first nomination. He knows he's a solid choice for second.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I can't believe they started the race. There's rain forecasted all the way to 4am.

Some bored meteorologist / racing enthusiast should reschedule the entire NASCAR season with the lowest chance of rain delay.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

Wait why is Hamlin being replaced with Jones?

Joe Gibbs just said neck spasm.

In entirely unrelated news Denny's contract is up this year, has serious back issues and tends to underperform.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Kahne with the sick burn on Fat Tony. Best race regardless of outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

NASCAR 2015: No, the Sledge-O-Matic guy is not my grandpa

• Locked thread