Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

rizuhbull posted:

So many people think Resident Evil 5 is better than 6, even though 6 is just 5 with more content. These people are wrong and baffle me.

It's pretty significantly different. The movement and combat mechanics are vastly different, and the AI partner no longer sucks rear end to deal with. The tone and the pacing is much different too. It's a very different, and very better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The missions in Robot Alchemic Drive that were just flashbacks or dreams or some poo poo and you just had to stand around waiting for the awful dialogue to finish brought down what would otherwise be an almost perfect game. They weren't even cutscenes, really. You had character control for no reason and with nothing to do in between the text dumps.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

rizuhbull posted:

So many people think Resident Evil 5 is better than 6, even though 6 is just 5 with more content. These people are wrong and baffle me.

Did you play it at launch? Legit question because they fixed the poo poo out of the aiming.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I liked games when it was properly managed and not filled to the brim with TIZ poo poo posts that add nothing to the discussion and can't type worth a drat and honestly aren't all that funny, just because they think games is too verbose.

Oh I'm sorry, you meant actual games.

Pong is good, except when you're losing. You should win more in Pong and unlock New Game + in it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

LotsBread posted:

I liked games when it was properly managed and not filled to the brim with TIZ poo poo posts that add nothing to the discussion and can't type worth a drat and honestly aren't all that funny, just because they think games is too verbose.

:staredog:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LotsBread posted:

Pong is good, except when you're losing. You should win more in Pong and unlock New Game + in it.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Psychonauts is literally nauseating to play. God help you if you get lost and have to backtrack through some of the more twisted levels. It plays just fine, but if you're at all prone to motion sickness, there's going to be pain.

I like to imagine in some mirror universe Psychonauts is a hip kids TV show ala Adventure Time instead of a videogame.

Stink Fuck Rob fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 13, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

This seems crazy to me. They play almost totally differently - 5 having straightforward and accessible controls and player abilities like RE4, and RE6 being highly complex (maybe to its detriment since it doesn't explain anything). This isn't even getting into how scattershot 6's stage design is and how big an effect that has on the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

rizuhbull posted:

They are pretty different in that 5 is a lot more focused on what kind of game it wants to be while 6 is all over the loving place. It's loaded with QTEs and stupid gimmick poo poo to the point where it starts detracting from just playing the core game. I mean, did we need a snowmobile stage or a underwater stage where you just mostly swim around?

Edit: While I like MGS3, the controls for the game are a loving mess and I don't even bother playing it anymore because of them. Why can't I just use analog to creep like everyone else? Why do I have to take my hand off the control stick and put it on the D-pad just to do that?

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 13, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Bayonetta's difficulty is way too punitive. Even accounting for the whole 'Bayonetta is an awesome domme and you should feel privileged to be playing her game' feel Kayima was presumably going for it's ridiculous how even on normal the game just chews you up, spits you out then downranks you and deducts currency from you for not being a natural character action master. The sequel is a ton better about it but generally if you're going to deliberately design your game to be aggressively difficult, don't deliberately and irreversibly penalise the player for dying

I don't get your last sentence. How else are you going to punish the player for dying, accidentally? And honestly, Bayonetta is an extremely forgiving game that hardly punishes you. You get checkpoints every single fight in the game; the only real penalty for death is that you get sent back two or three minutes, you get less money at the end of the stage (but you can always replay previous stages, so there's nothing stopping you from grinding chapter 1 or whatever if you want money), and your rank goes down (and why would you care about rank unless you're good enough to at least get decent ranks consistently? There's no reason to concern yourself with getting platinum or gold ranks on your first playthrough).

That said I will agree that the instant-death QTEs in Bayonetta are pretty lame. Considering how lenient the game is with checkpointing, they literally have no effect on the game other than making your end-of-chapter rank look worse than it "should" be. That's definitely something the second game improved on.

To add some actual content:

-Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have lame-rear end ranged combat. The game is clearly only designed around melee combat; bows' only purpose is to cheese enemies by sniping them from a distance while they're totally helpless, and magic is hilariously overpowered. Dragon's Dogma is a way weaker game than the Souls games overall, but I have to say that that game totally nailed ranged combat and made it feel like it fits in properly. It'd be nice to see the Souls games draw on that.

-Wonderful 101's post-game content is kind of overkill. I'm absolutely cool with having a bunch of cool characters and bonus stages to unlock, but when the requirements for those things include picking up, like, 200 collectibles scattered all across the game and beating the game on both of the easy modes (I get this might sound goon-ish, but once you're at least good enough to beat the game on normal mode, the easy modes feel completely empty, and the game is fairly long. Having to run through it on both baby modes feels like a waste of time), it starts to feel bloated. Bayonetta did a much better job of pacing out its post-game bonus content.

-Bayonetta 2 feels a little unrefined compared to the original. Umbran Climax is lame: you enter a super mode that massively increases your power and range, and then you get to annihilate everything on screen. It doesn't feel like using it properly requires any finesse (like Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry. Jeez, even ripper mode in Metal Gear Rising felt better-integrated than UC and it felt lame as hell), and in order to make UC feel powerful, it seems like they toned down Bayonetta's damage and knockback abilities in her standard form, which makes fights against some enemies feel like you're just uselessly chipping away at them until you can activate UC and start doing actual damage.

I think the way Witch Time is heavily integrated into the game is lame too, honestly. In Bayonetta, it was a learning tool / crutch that the game slowly weans you off of (even in your first playthrough, there are strong enemies who only have WT opportunities on specific attacks, and some enemies don't give it to you at all. And then on the hardest mode you don't even have it.) you eventually get good enough to not need - and once you get good enough to fight without it, it's almost hard to go back. But in the sequel there are a fair amount of enemies and bosses who are close to being invulnerable unless you're in WT, especially on the hardest mode, which changes the flow of combat for what I think is the worst. The first Bayonetta is all about combining evasion and offense, using dodge offset to maneuver around enemies and avoid their attacks while simultaneously tearing into them - but in the second game you have to basically fight some guys entirely reactively, since all you can do is wait for a WT opportunity.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe more than half the levels in No-One Lives Forever were sorta poo poo.

Some great moments, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Planescape doesn't really have any replay value, as epic as it is playing it the first time. There's little reason to play as a Thief or Fighter when you're given great NPCs that cover both, so it's always Mage or bust. No real reason to try and play an evil character either, since like most RPGs it only punishes you with less gameplay for it.

Funnily enough I have no issue with the combat, which seems to be everyone's gripe. Just typical Infinity Engine stuff.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't get your last sentence. How else are you going to punish the player for dying, accidentally? And honestly, Bayonetta is an extremely forgiving game that hardly punishes you. You get checkpoints every single fight in the game; the only real penalty for death is that you get sent back two or three minutes, you get less money at the end of the stage (but you can always replay previous stages, so there's nothing stopping you from grinding chapter 1 or whatever if you want money), and your rank goes down (and why would you care about rank unless you're good enough to at least get decent ranks consistently? There's no reason to concern yourself with getting platinum or gold ranks on your first playthrough).

That said I will agree that the instant-death QTEs in Bayonetta are pretty lame. Considering how lenient the game is with checkpointing, they literally have no effect on the game other than making your end-of-chapter rank look worse than it "should" be. That's definitely something the second game improved on.

I found getting constant Stone awards kinda annoying on principle but really my main problem with it was how much currency it made you lose out on. Having to grind out the opening chapters to have enough halos to actually buy character upgrades isn't my idea of fun and as it was it created a positive feedback cycle where the more you died, the less access you got to character building, making it more likely you'd die again. It probably didn't help the main source of healing items was locked behind a ridiculous minigame you had no chance to practice at and used an entirely different skillset either.

I agree with most of your points on Bayonetta 2 though, although I can't say I ever noticed her being weaker compared to in the first game and I thought tying her demon summons into her actual moveset though UC was incredibly cool

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I enjoyed resident evil 5 when it first came out. Except for the final level. There is a QTE that requires you to press the a button over 100 times in a minute. It is possible but I died the first few times thinking I was doing something around 50 clicks. I hope that got patched out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regarding Bayonetta 2, I'll also add that I think its major angel bosses are pretty bad. The shield boss especially is boring in his first phase. The flying battles make distances hard to gauge and the bosses themselves didn't feel like they were big, impressive monsters like the first game's did.

Fortunately the normal fights and other bosses more than compensate, and I absolutely adore the game and consider it an improvement on the already stellar first game in nearly every way.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Shwqa posted:

I have been replaying final fantasy tactics again. Great game, but holy gently caress the first chapter is a god drat train wreck.

To be fair if you know how the game works you can turn one of those guest characters into a veritable god, which is how you often carry the first chapter in solo character challenges. The problem I have with RPGs like most final fantasies is that once you know the dominant and ridiculously cheesy/powerful setups the game becomes instantly trivialized, which means victory is gated only by knowledge and not so much application or actual strategizing.

They're great fun regardless, though, and I especially enjoy games like FFV that use both knowledge and active/reactive mechanics to win in, say, a Four Job Fiesta.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle is a great game, but gently caress the guys with guns.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shwqa posted:

I enjoyed resident evil 5 when it first came out. Except for the final level. There is a QTE that requires you to press the a button over 100 times in a minute. It is possible but I died the first few times thinking I was doing something around 50 clicks. I hope that got patched out.

Nope, it is still there. That is easily the worst QTE in the game and probably the worst level in the game because when you first play it, you won't know what the gently caress you're doing and it is so easy to die and when you die, you are back to doing that loving QTE again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

The missions in Robot Alchemic Drive that were just flashbacks or dreams or some poo poo and you just had to stand around waiting for the awful dialogue to finish brought down what would otherwise be an almost perfect game. They weren't even cutscenes, really. You had character control for no reason and with nothing to do in between the text dumps.

The voice acting was also occasionally awful, but I otherwise just liked RAD, yeah.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Giants: Citizen Kabuto was a loving awesome game to play in multiplayer. You had two factions that played in an RTS mode but also let you play as on the ground as one of the soldiers. And then you had the loving giant. Which was basically godzilla on PCP. It was three way madness of the best sort. To top it all off there were base building and resource gathering mechanics that were done from an FPS/third person perspective. It was a huge game from a gameplay perspective. poo poo, one race even had Tribes style jetpacks for maximum skiing potential.

It was one of those games that you could drop hundreds of hours into and still have fun with simply because there was so much to do in the MP mode. Want to build up your side's base? Go for it. You'll have all sorts of different toys to dick around with. Want to play as a ten story tall rampaging engine of destruction? Go for it. Just remember it's you versus the world and none of those motherfuckers can stop you unless they tech up to being able to kite you down. Want to go out and slaughter the opposing side with all the toys your base has built up? Why the gently caress not? Someone has to be pulling in kills for the team. It's the sort of game Brutal Legend wanted to be.

And then they hosed it all up by releasing it in the era of 56K internet. And they used Gamespy to top it all off. The result was a crash happy, laggy, buggy mess that barely no one played online. If the thing had come out a few years later and they used their own service it would have been a hit instead of a borderline cult classic. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 13, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is one of the finest games ever made.

The stealth section. :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Archonex posted:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto was a loving awesome game to play in multiplayer. You had two factions that played in an RTS mode but also let you play as on the ground as one of the soldiers. And then you had the loving giant. Which was basically godzilla on PCP. It was three way madness of the best sort. To top it all off there were base building and resource gathering mechanics that were done from an FPS/third person perspective. And the core gameplay was about going out and getting into ridiculous fights. poo poo, one race even had Tribes style jetpacks for maximum skiing potential.

It was one of those games that you could drop hundreds of hours into and still have fun with simply because there was so much to do in the MP mode. Want to build up your side's base? Go for it. You'll have all sorts of different toys to dick around with. Want to play as a ten story tall rampaging engine of destruction? Go for it. Just remember it's you versus the world and none of those motherfuckers can stop you unless they tech up to being able to kite you down. Want to go out and slaughter the opposing side with all the toys your base has built up? Why the gently caress not? Someone has to be pulling in kills for the team. It's the sort of game Brutal Legend wanted to be.

And then they hosed it all up by releasing it in the era of 56K internet. And they used Gamespy to top it all off. The result was a crash happy, laggy, buggy mess that barely no one played online. If the thing had come out a few years later and they used their own service it would have been a hit instead of a borderline cult classic. :argh:

You could probably make almost this exact post for Sacrifice as well (I think they were both made by Shiny?), with Sacrifice also having the drawback of being really hard to manage. Incredible concept and aesthetics in both games, though.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I loved the hell out of Nier, but boy is it difficult to get people into the game, and I can't blame them for being wary of it. Not only does the game have an incredibly weird theme and very odd characters (one of whom parades around in a negligee, for god's sake), but in order to get to the meat of the game, you need to play it at least 2 times to get into New Game+. And then to get the real ending you need to play it again in New Game++ and do some obscure collection quests. That's a lot of commitment needed from a player, especially in this current age where people rarely finish a game once at all. Not only that, but I felt that they could've worked on the fighting system a bit more: they set up an interesting system that's like a cross between dynasty warriors and bullet hell, but they ruin it by making the bullets trivial through blocking and the combos lacking in variation.

Oh, and the fishing part, as people have already mentioned.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I have a over 100 hours in BOI Rebirth and will probably get a few hundred more by the end, but it sure would be swell if the hard mode was something other then "damage sponge enemies and less heart drops".

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

rizuhbull posted:

I'm a big defender of RE6, but one huge difference between the two is that RE5 has a little more sense of "adventure"- that is, elements of an adventure game. The zones are bigger, there's moments of downtime for some exploration, and while the game is extremely linear, it doesn't feel quite so linear as RE6, where you can sense the game scripting pushing you forward at all times. Combine this with RE5's weapon upgrading, which, while a step down from the upgrade system of RE4, adds a lot to the feeling of progressing and "getting something" with the treasures etc. The choice to buy and sell weapons, what to bring in your inventory, what to upgrade and how, builds investment and reward into the campaign. RE6's character upgrading feels pretty lame duck by comparison. The sense of pacing in RE5 is also much better.

The multi-story structure of RE6's campaign is an ambitious failure, and ultimately, RE5 is the far better campaign experience for feeling more consistent and involving, and feeling more like an adventure you have some control over than a series of triggered set pieces.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm a big defender of RE6, but one huge difference between the two is that RE5 has a little more sense of "adventure"- that is, elements of an adventure game. The zones are bigger, there's moments of downtime for some exploration, and while the game is extremely linear, it doesn't feel quite so linear as RE6, where you can sense the game scripting pushing you forward at all times. Combine this with RE5's weapon upgrading, which, while a step down from the upgrade system of RE4, adds a lot to the feeling of progressing and "getting something" with the treasures etc. The choice to buy and sell weapons, what to bring in your inventory, what to upgrade and how, builds investment and reward into the campaign. RE6's character upgrading feels pretty lame duck by comparison. The sense of pacing in RE5 is also much better.

The multi-story structure of RE6's campaign is an ambitious failure, and ultimately, RE5 is the far better campaign experience for feeling more consistent and involving, and feeling more like an adventure you have some control over than a series of triggered set pieces.

My problem with 5 is that the campaign felt like a boring slog that at the same time didn't have an identifiable central location like RE 4's village or castle. RE 6 felt consistently kinetic and atmospheric. I agree there's some missteps between the campaigns, but I enjoy replaying RE 6 a lot more than 5. It just feels like there's more to sink into and the combat mechanics are immensely satisfying.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Given there's a follow-up due at some point soon, let's talk about how Amplitude screwed the pooch on a fundamental gameplay level compared with its predecessor Frequency.

Frequency was played moving through an eight sided tunnel, with each side representing part of the song, bass, drums, vocals, you get the idea. Complete a sequence of notes/beats, that part is captured for a while and you move on to the next one, making your way around the tunnel, etc. You could seamlessly keep combos going moving from track to track thanks to the 360 nature of the tunnel.

Amplitude replaced the tunnel with running track style lanes going from left to right. When you capture the farthest lane, in order to keep your combo going you've got to jump back across all the previous lanes to reach the one you started with, which was ridiculously hard if not impossible in many cases. This would be bad enough on its own but to compound matters the developers decided to spice things up by making the song lanes undulate all over the place like a goddamn roller-coaster on some songs, meaning you could approach the crest of a wave and not be able to see the button pattern beyond the next half second or so. Sure, you might randomly have picked up an 'oh poo poo' autocatcher pickup that could be used to get you out of snags but those should be because you hosed up, not because the track layout was fundamentally broken in the first place.

Now this ain't the end of the world, you just deal with poo poo as best you can and can still get plenty of enjoyment out of what is still a fun game but what's annoying about it all is that they absolutely nailed it first time round, it's a textbook case of fixing poo poo that was never broken in the first place. The tunnel layout was perfect, you could dance round a couple of lanes at a time, keep combos going from start to finish if you were good enough, it was like a musical version of Tempest and it was great. To make the gameplay worse so they could tart up the graphics and throw a load of superfluous crap around the screen...it was just dumb.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts: Covenant is one of my absolute favorite games and one of the best JRPGs, but Karin is written like poo poo and her arc ends up being really creepy. It's even worse when you take the sidequest where she gets her ultimate weapon into account.She'd rather gently caress Yuri than go back in time to save her family from getting massacred when given the chance.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 14, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Sentinel Red posted:

Given there's a follow-up due at some point soon, let's talk about how Amplitude screwed the pooch on a fundamental gameplay level compared with its predecessor Frequency.

I hear you on this, although if you are going for the highest possible scores you're already looking at taking an optimal path through the levels, so it doesn't change much in that regard. But yeah, if you're just trying to improve your score/grade a decent amount then the memorization needed is a much lower ceiling than in Frequency.

There's a code to make the tracks look more like Frequency but you still can't jump between the first and last lanes when you enter it. It mitigates the bumps in the track at least, though. I forget if it disables saving scores or not when you enter the codes (any of them or just a select few.)

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess the bosses in Arkham Asylum are kind of bad, that's the only thing I can think of that's wrong with it.

Super Metroid is, uh, too short. I guess the graphics were kind of bad for the time but they're still very atmospheric.

The first Silent Hill game really suffered from being on the PS1 and trying to do a sort of open world was way too ambitious, plus it's kind of not really at all fun to play any more outside of nostalgia.

Are you kidding me? Super Metroid is like the perfect length for a sidescroller.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The scoring system in Spelunky is horrible and by far the worst thing about the game. One of the reasons that the ghost is such a great mechanic is that it encourages quick decision-making and discourages systemic level-clearing- but since high scores are tied to treasure, it turns out that high-level play is based entirely on boring systemic level-clearing.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Alain Post posted:

The scoring system in Spelunky is horrible and by far the worst thing about the game. One of the reasons that the ghost is such a great mechanic is that it encourages quick decision-making and discourages systemic level-clearing- but since high scores are tied to treasure, it turns out that high-level play is based entirely on boring systemic level-clearing.

Agreed.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I found getting constant Stone awards kinda annoying on principle but really my main problem with it was how much currency it made you lose out on. Having to grind out the opening chapters to have enough halos to actually buy character upgrades isn't my idea of fun and as it was it created a positive feedback cycle where the more you died, the less access you got to character building, making it more likely you'd die again. It probably didn't help the main source of healing items was locked behind a ridiculous minigame you had no chance to practice at and used an entirely different skillset either.

I agree with most of your points on Bayonetta 2 though, although I can't say I ever noticed her being weaker compared to in the first game and I thought tying her demon summons into her actual moveset though UC was incredibly cool

There are only two things in the shop that are actually useful and one of them is so expensive you won't get it for a while no matter how good you are. Don't grind early chapters, don't play Angel Attack, don't worry about not being able to afford stuff in the shop, don't worry about getting Stones, just stay calm and witch time

alcharagia posted:

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle is a great game, but gently caress the guys with guns.

I love both NMH but Neo Destroy Man just destroys my interest in finishing Bitter in 2

Terper posted:

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is one of the finest games ever made.

The stealth section. :(

I thought it was really fun and a welcome change of pace since the puzzles are more about timing than the timer

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Alpha Protocol is one of my favourite game stories ever but playing the game itself is excruciating unless you minmax the main character.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Mario
No save

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Alpha Protocol is one of my favourite game stories ever but playing the game itself is excruciating unless you minmax the main character.

Or take levels in pistols.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Alain Post posted:

Enh, then it loops back over again, because *real* high level play it's all about baiting the ghost to turn all the gems into diamonds.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Thug Lessons posted:

Are you kidding me? Super Metroid is like the perfect length for a sidescroller.

Yeah, it's a pretty huge game until you get good at it and break it in all sorts of awesome ways. I remember being a kid and being absolutely stuck my first time through, and a bigger game would have made it a ton more complicated and frustrating. loving love Super Metroid, though - wish there were more and have to settle for ROM hacks that seem to be geared for tool-assisted runs.

Secret of Mana is probably my favorite game but the spell system, while a neat idea, was kinda flawed. You'd end up leveling up your good spells because you're using them a lot, but anything else you literally have to grind over and over because while they would be useful a few times later on, they'd only be useful then if they were close in level to everything else. Gnome, Undine, and Lumina were the only elementals that were regularly useful for the girl (and the game is easy enough that you don't really even need Gnome's buffs), and Luna's MP absorb is the only must use for the sprite - the rest are all useful only for hitting weaknesses. Otherwise you'd just use something cheap like gnome's gem missile because since gnome came early and gem missile was cheap, it's probably also max level already anyhow.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The biggest criticism of Super Metroid is you can't erase the part of your brain that remembers the game so you can play it fresh again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Third World Reggin posted:

GW2 has a lot of nice things but I can't help feeling like every class is absolutely boring.

I thought the pace of combat was pretty drat neat from a person who doesn't play MMOs otherwise but class balance and the glacial pace of change was a let down.

The lead balance dev laid out his class balance philosophies early on and besides revealing how clueless they were about balancing between different game modes over the course of two years, rubbed it in by spoiling rotten the two dominant classes, warriors and guardians. They were already effective in most situations so when one of the bullet-points was "removing the holy trinity of classes", it failed to mention stale class diversity that merely substituted a different one.

It put me off my favourite aspect of the game - World vs World, a time and a place to beat up another server of people in a three way fight over fortifications and control points. The most effective and above all, enduring group tactic was to bunch up warriors and guardians in a tight ball, breakthrough and sweep up the leftovers, the utility from other classes was nice but not necessary when it came down to two large hunks of meat waging a war of attrition and melee over a point for 15-20 minutes.

Other classes were toned down, neglected or forced out of their niche (mostly neglected) so I lost interest when WvW could be as engaging as Battlefield. The emphasis of small tweaks could have been effective when done right but it was plain insulting waiting half a dozen months for a small touchup.

Besides that, the initial worldbuilding of GW2 was fantastic. It was a joy to go into new areas, discover hidden away alcoves and usually find something to do. The devs unfortunately decided to pursue a linear storyline with a cast that I couldn't care less about.

• Locked thread