Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bayonetta's difficulty is way too punitive. Even accounting for the whole 'Bayonetta is an awesome domme and you should feel privileged to be playing her game' feel Kayima was presumably going for it's ridiculous how even on normal the game just chews you up, spits you out then downranks you and deducts currency from you for not being a natural character action master. The sequel is a ton better about it but generally if you're going to deliberately design your game to be aggressively difficult, don't deliberately and irreversibly penalise the player for dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't get your last sentence. How else are you going to punish the player for dying, accidentally? And honestly, Bayonetta is an extremely forgiving game that hardly punishes you. You get checkpoints every single fight in the game; the only real penalty for death is that you get sent back two or three minutes, you get less money at the end of the stage (but you can always replay previous stages, so there's nothing stopping you from grinding chapter 1 or whatever if you want money), and your rank goes down (and why would you care about rank unless you're good enough to at least get decent ranks consistently? There's no reason to concern yourself with getting platinum or gold ranks on your first playthrough).

That said I will agree that the instant-death QTEs in Bayonetta are pretty lame. Considering how lenient the game is with checkpointing, they literally have no effect on the game other than making your end-of-chapter rank look worse than it "should" be. That's definitely something the second game improved on.

I found getting constant Stone awards kinda annoying on principle but really my main problem with it was how much currency it made you lose out on. Having to grind out the opening chapters to have enough halos to actually buy character upgrades isn't my idea of fun and as it was it created a positive feedback cycle where the more you died, the less access you got to character building, making it more likely you'd die again. It probably didn't help the main source of healing items was locked behind a ridiculous minigame you had no chance to practice at and used an entirely different skillset either.

I agree with most of your points on Bayonetta 2 though, although I can't say I ever noticed her being weaker compared to in the first game and I thought tying her demon summons into her actual moveset though UC was incredibly cool

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beekeeping and You posted:

Persona 4 had a great art style and a decent storyline that was marred by being way too loving anime, and you can't date kanji.

A spectre haunts the forums - the spectre of anime ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Super Mario World, when compared to newer games, feels sort of lifeless and stale. Not in terms of its enemies or backgrounds but most of the level design, especially in the earliest levels that feel more like a tutorial section than anything. It gets better near its end, but unless this was your first SNES game you'll probably not be all that impressed by it initially.

I love the music and the additions to gameplay, and the world map is a stroke of genius for being interactive and fun to explore, but it takes a while to really hit its stride.

I feel the same way about most of the newer Mario titles. 3D World was fantastic but it wasn't until the halfway point that I really felt the levels were challenging enough to really provide some engaging platforming. they're weird games in that I normally end up enjoying them more just before they finish than at the start.

• Locked thread