Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Skies of Arcadia (Legends) is like my favoritest game ever, BUT *takes deep breath*

-The battle system is kinda neat with the whole balancing SP between your party thing and how many spells and specials utilize character positions in the planar battlefield, there's just one thing: you have no positioning system. So while you have moves that "hit all enemies in a straight line" or "hit all enemies in a circle," you have no control over where any of your characters are standing, so whether those moves are as effective as they can be is a big crapshoot. It's a wasted opportunity. Incidentally, Trails in the Sky has the kind of system I would've liked to see here.

-The battle system is also super unbalanced, in two major ways. First, specials are way better than magic. Magic kinda sucks outside of healing and buffing, and since both magic and special moves draw mainly from your party-shared SP stock, you'll more often than not just choose to use the superior specials. One of your party members is The Mage, but since healing spells are all hardcoded numbers instead of factoring in the caster's magic stat, and the speed stat determines turn order, you'll just have the speedy character do all the healing (spoilers the mage isn't the fastest). Second, items are way better than magic. Most battle items in the game are just consumable spells. This isn't a game where you'll have money problems. You'll never cast magic.

*pauses to take another breath*

Okay I'm done for now but I'll be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LotsBread posted:

I liked games when it was properly managed and not filled to the brim with TIZ poo poo posts that add nothing to the discussion and can't type worth a drat and honestly aren't all that funny, just because they think games is too verbose.

Oh I'm sorry, you meant actual games.

Pong is good, except when you're losing. You should win more in Pong and unlock New Game + in it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I found getting constant Stone awards kinda annoying on principle but really my main problem with it was how much currency it made you lose out on. Having to grind out the opening chapters to have enough halos to actually buy character upgrades isn't my idea of fun and as it was it created a positive feedback cycle where the more you died, the less access you got to character building, making it more likely you'd die again. It probably didn't help the main source of healing items was locked behind a ridiculous minigame you had no chance to practice at and used an entirely different skillset either.

I agree with most of your points on Bayonetta 2 though, although I can't say I ever noticed her being weaker compared to in the first game and I thought tying her demon summons into her actual moveset though UC was incredibly cool

There are only two things in the shop that are actually useful and one of them is so expensive you won't get it for a while no matter how good you are. Don't grind early chapters, don't play Angel Attack, don't worry about not being able to afford stuff in the shop, don't worry about getting Stones, just stay calm and witch time

alcharagia posted:

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle is a great game, but gently caress the guys with guns.

I love both NMH but Neo Destroy Man just destroys my interest in finishing Bitter in 2

Terper posted:

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is one of the finest games ever made.

The stealth section. :(

I thought it was really fun and a welcome change of pace since the puzzles are more about timing than the timer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dias posted:

Binding of Isaac could have used 90% less poop jokes. Also mask enemies, gently caress mask enemies.

BoI's gameplay is crazy fun and addicting, it'd be such a great game if the art design weren't terrible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

This man knows what's up. The fight with Batt is so stacked against you it's ridiculous. And they decided to give him stunlock wind fists for his last bit of health. Those, I can personally tell you, can edge you just close enough to the window for the boss to instantly kill you. This is after the first game's final boss, which Platinum would have been proud of, which makes it extra disappointing.

Pizza Batt is at least interesting, NDM is just a crazy tedious wall standing between me and good fights

• Locked thread