Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

So many people think Resident Evil 5 is better than 6, even though 6 is just 5 with more content. These people are wrong and baffle me.

This seems crazy to me. They play almost totally differently - 5 having straightforward and accessible controls and player abilities like RE4, and RE6 being highly complex (maybe to its detriment since it doesn't explain anything). This isn't even getting into how scattershot 6's stage design is and how big an effect that has on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Bayonetta's difficulty is way too punitive. Even accounting for the whole 'Bayonetta is an awesome domme and you should feel privileged to be playing her game' feel Kayima was presumably going for it's ridiculous how even on normal the game just chews you up, spits you out then downranks you and deducts currency from you for not being a natural character action master. The sequel is a ton better about it but generally if you're going to deliberately design your game to be aggressively difficult, don't deliberately and irreversibly penalise the player for dying

I don't get your last sentence. How else are you going to punish the player for dying, accidentally? And honestly, Bayonetta is an extremely forgiving game that hardly punishes you. You get checkpoints every single fight in the game; the only real penalty for death is that you get sent back two or three minutes, you get less money at the end of the stage (but you can always replay previous stages, so there's nothing stopping you from grinding chapter 1 or whatever if you want money), and your rank goes down (and why would you care about rank unless you're good enough to at least get decent ranks consistently? There's no reason to concern yourself with getting platinum or gold ranks on your first playthrough).

That said I will agree that the instant-death QTEs in Bayonetta are pretty lame. Considering how lenient the game is with checkpointing, they literally have no effect on the game other than making your end-of-chapter rank look worse than it "should" be. That's definitely something the second game improved on.

To add some actual content:

-Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have lame-rear end ranged combat. The game is clearly only designed around melee combat; bows' only purpose is to cheese enemies by sniping them from a distance while they're totally helpless, and magic is hilariously overpowered. Dragon's Dogma is a way weaker game than the Souls games overall, but I have to say that that game totally nailed ranged combat and made it feel like it fits in properly. It'd be nice to see the Souls games draw on that.

-Wonderful 101's post-game content is kind of overkill. I'm absolutely cool with having a bunch of cool characters and bonus stages to unlock, but when the requirements for those things include picking up, like, 200 collectibles scattered all across the game and beating the game on both of the easy modes (I get this might sound goon-ish, but once you're at least good enough to beat the game on normal mode, the easy modes feel completely empty, and the game is fairly long. Having to run through it on both baby modes feels like a waste of time), it starts to feel bloated. Bayonetta did a much better job of pacing out its post-game bonus content.

-Bayonetta 2 feels a little unrefined compared to the original. Umbran Climax is lame: you enter a super mode that massively increases your power and range, and then you get to annihilate everything on screen. It doesn't feel like using it properly requires any finesse (like Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry. Jeez, even ripper mode in Metal Gear Rising felt better-integrated than UC and it felt lame as hell), and in order to make UC feel powerful, it seems like they toned down Bayonetta's damage and knockback abilities in her standard form, which makes fights against some enemies feel like you're just uselessly chipping away at them until you can activate UC and start doing actual damage.

I think the way Witch Time is heavily integrated into the game is lame too, honestly. In Bayonetta, it was a learning tool / crutch that the game slowly weans you off of (even in your first playthrough, there are strong enemies who only have WT opportunities on specific attacks, and some enemies don't give it to you at all. And then on the hardest mode you don't even have it.) you eventually get good enough to not need - and once you get good enough to fight without it, it's almost hard to go back. But in the sequel there are a fair amount of enemies and bosses who are close to being invulnerable unless you're in WT, especially on the hardest mode, which changes the flow of combat for what I think is the worst. The first Bayonetta is all about combining evasion and offense, using dodge offset to maneuver around enemies and avoid their attacks while simultaneously tearing into them - but in the second game you have to basically fight some guys entirely reactively, since all you can do is wait for a WT opportunity.

• Locked thread