Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hi and welcome to the annual NHL trade deadline thread where you can discuss exciting moves like Daniel Winnik for a second round pick and speculate on moves that will never ever happen.

If you want to know how much cap space your team has for moves:

Hand Knit posted:

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/

Click on a team logo, get their cap sheet.

If a trade goes down for players not on the list below and you want to see a quick look at their advanced stats, follow this link: http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

Without further ado, here are the likely sellers as well as their rumored tradeable assets:

Buffalo - Anyone that helps them win. But most prominently:

Chris Stewart, Wing -

Andrej Meszaros, Defense -

Edmonton Oilers

Jeff Petry, Defense- no picture but yeah who cares

Carolina Hurricanes

Jiri Tlusty, C/W -

Jay Mcclement, C -

Andrej Sekera, Defense-

Tim Gleason, Defense-

Arizona Coyotes

Antoine Vermette, C -

Martin Erat, Wing-

Zybnek Michalek, Defense-

Columbus Blue Jackets

Mark Letestu, C/W -

Cam Atkinson, W -

Jordan Leopold, Defense -

Toronto Maple Leafs

Mike Santorelli, C/W -

Daniel Winnik, W -

David Booth, W -

Cody Franson, D -

New Jersey Devils

Jaromir Jagr, W -

Michael Ryder, W -

Steve Bernier, W -

Martin Havlat, W -

Bryce Salvador, D -

Marek Zidlicky, D -

Ottawa Senators

Chris Neil, W -

Marc Methot, D
-

If I missed anyone important let me know and I'll add them. I based this list on teams that are too far out to make a run and on contract status. With the exception of Neil who has a lot of rumors around him I think every guy on this list is impending UFA or RFA.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
That's a really good OP.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

That's a really good OP.

Thanks. I didn't do contract money since it's hard to tell how the cap works since salary is prorated. You'll have to figure out yourself what sort of budget your team has since with capgeek down it's hard to know.

e: VVV

cool I'll throw that in the OP.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Thanks. I didn't do contract money since it's hard to tell how the cap works since salary is prorated. You'll have to figure out yourself what sort of budget your team has since with capgeek down it's hard to know.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/

Click on a team logo, get their cap sheet.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It would be nice to see Jagr go back to the Penguins I dunno

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
someone should convince jagr that nashville is an east coast team. would be a great addition.

i'll barf if nashville gives up a 1st + for franson.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'll take one petry plz

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Trevor Bird posted:

i'll barf if nashville gives up a 1st + for franson.

I doubt Nashville gets Franson since he's most valuable to a team that needs a D to run their powerplay, and Nashville has a few of those.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Hand Knit posted:

I doubt Nashville gets Franson since he's most valuable to a team that needs a D to run their powerplay, and Nashville has a few of those.

people won't shut up about it. if ellis isn't back soon then i think they'll get a defenseman, because it'd be insane to run bartley out there in the playoffs. ekholm's also out, but i think that's a short term thing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

is there any actual chance justin williams ends up on the trading block?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

T-Bone posted:

It would be nice to see Jagr go back to the Penguins I dunno
What could the Pens give that the Devils would want? A couple of D-prospects?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Wow surprised veteran defenseman Scott Hannan didn't make it into the OP

edit: I heard it on Insider Trading haha

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tofes posted:

Wow surprised veteran defenseman Scott Hannan didn't make it into the OP

edit: I heard it on Insider Trading haha

Well I was pretty much focusing on sellers and obviously the Sharks wouldn't move an expert veteran defenseman like that when they have cup aspirations

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
My Trade Deadline Fantasy Wishes for the Colorado Avalanche is to:

Sell:
Briere
Hejda
Guenin
Cliche
Ryan O'Reilly

Send these guys to anyone who will take them for whichever picks you can get. We are only 6 pts back but this team is just not clicking in the right ways for a playoff run. Our prospect pool is not what it needs to be, and we've got no depth because all our top picks have had to step in during their first year.

I don't want to sell a guy like O'Reilly but the situation is what it is. He's our best player most nights and should get us some quality assets in return for a guy who clearly doesn't want to be here anyway.

Acquire:
Picks
Forward Depth (Rumored to be in on Atkinson in Columbus. Would be down for that)
Long term Defence Solutions

I don't want management to decide to try to put a band aid on this season. We've bungled our way pretty close to the playoffs but they have to be realistic and join the sellers, IMO. If we can acquire some "sold low" kind of guys like Atkinson or someone else who isnt quite fitting in where they are, so be it. If we can acquire real NHL defensemen who will be around for more than this year, go ahead too.

What will actually happen:
We trade no one, acquire Boyd Gordon and Andrew Ference for a 1st :(

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd like to see Calgary improve their defensive depth beyond the first line. Giordano and Brodie are fantastic, and Wideman's been fine but after that it's ugly. Raphael Diaz should not be getting ice time for a playoff team.

I'd also like to see them improve at RW but getting both of these things seems unlikely. I'd settle for defensive help.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd like to see Calgary improve their defensive depth beyond the first line. Giordano and Brodie are fantastic, and Wideman's been fine but after that it's ugly. Raphael Diaz should not be getting ice time for a playoff team.

I'd also like to see them improve at RW but getting both of these things seems unlikely. I'd settle for defensive help.

raphael diaz is good though?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

achillesforever6 posted:

What could the Pens give that the Devils would want? A couple of D-prospects?

Probably just be picks / maybe a low level prospect. Harrington would be a classic Devils d-man but iirc they wouldn't even move him for Perron.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

raphael diaz is good though?

He's a physically soft defender who doesn't move the puck well from what I've seen. We play him because we have to. He's -3 in Turnover Plus-minus, and -4 in regular plus-minus. He has 3 points in 32 games. What part of his game is "good"?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

can we interest anybody in one (1) brayden schenn

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I'm betting Chris Stewart ends up in one of Nashville or Philadelphia. I'm hoping for Nashville

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

He's a physically soft defender who doesn't move the puck well from what I've seen. We play him because we have to. He's -3 in Turnover Plus-minus, and -4 in regular plus-minus. He has 3 points in 32 games. What part of his game is "good"?

i don't know how he's been this year but he's been a decent possession player everywhere else he's been and is good as long as you remember he is a bottom pair type player and isn't actually good on the power play despite having come up with the offensive defenseman reputation and who gives a poo poo if he is "soft" or not because lots of tough, hard-hitting defenseman are utter trash at actual hockey.

"turnover plus-minus"

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 13, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I agree that hard hitting doesn't necessarily mean good, but if you can't move the puck all that well it can be the difference between being passable and not, depending on how you use it. And wasn't he run out of Montreal because of turnover issues?

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

whatis posted:

I'm betting Chris Stewart ends up in one of Nashville or Philadelphia. I'm hoping for Nashville

why would you wish this upon us

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I agree that hard hitting doesn't necessarily mean good, but if you can't move the puck all that well it can be the difference between being passable and not, depending on how you use it. And wasn't he run out of Montreal because of turnover issues?

Turnovers don't work that way, need to contextualize the number vs. how often the player has the puck. Diaz is slightly positive in possession in soft starts, that he has a small amount of counted turnovers vs. (I'm assuming) takeaways should be viewed as perfectly acceptable.

That said its not like he's anything special, he just plays the style of game that people tend to underrate against other (often worse) players.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dear Mr. Benning,

Please don't buy this year. Actually, go ahead and sell high on players like Richardson and Matthias. The Ducks have been sellers at the deadline in the past when they were in a playoff spot but knew they weren't contenders, and it worked wonders for their prospect pool.

For the love of God at least don't throw away our actually worthwhile young players for terrible reclamation projects. I would actually like to see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver before I die.

Best regards,
ThinkTank

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
petry has some pro hockey flow going on, how can you not care

e: going to miss you when youre traded for a 2nd :smithicide:

fits fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 13, 2015

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i don't know how he's been this year but he's been a decent possession player everywhere else he's been and is good as long as you remember he is a bottom pair type player and isn't actually good on the power play despite having come up with the offensive defenseman reputation and who gives a poo poo if he is "soft" or not because lots of tough, hard-hitting defenseman are utter trash at actual hockey.

"Decent possession player" in limited deployments (not full-time) and not really producing don't really make for great depth. He plays a style that looks good in shot-differential stats but not qualitatively strong. I guess he's the type of guy you want to pick up at the trade deadline though.

That's Mike Kostka's stats. Here's Diaz: http://i.imgur.com/PESHqrl.png

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The Ducks need to trade for a defense man, badly.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

he was montreal's second best defenseman by possession when he was traded but he doesn't really score as much as people wanted him to and he doesn't hit people so he doesn't fit any of the normal boxes people want to check to describe defensemen.

he isn't a world-beater, but if you have diaz playing on your bottom pair, your defense is probably doing pretty well.

unless of course you have kris russell and dennis wideman on the second pair

Zodijackylite posted:

"Decent possession player" in limited deployments (not full-time) and not really producing don't really make for great depth. He plays a style that looks good in shot-differential stats but not qualitatively strong. I guess he's the type of guy you want to pick up at the trade deadline though.

That's Mike Kostka's stats. Here's Diaz: http://i.imgur.com/PESHqrl.png

at this point i'm not going to argue he is anything other than a bottom pair/7th defenseman, but a puts up positive numbers in sheltered minutes defenseman who is presumably on a reall cheap contract seems like someone worth having and not a structural problem with a team.

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 13, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

he was montreal's second best defenseman by possession when he was traded but he doesn't really score as much as people wanted him to and he doesn't hit people so he doesn't fit any of the normal boxes people want to check to describe defensemen.

he isn't a world-beater, but if you have diaz playing on your bottom pair, your defense is probably doing pretty well.

Wideman's appeal is a bit more obvious though, in that he gets points. Defensively, he's not so great but I'd rather have him than Russell or Diaz.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Austrian mook posted:

The Ducks need to trade for a defense man, badly.

take back Luca Sbisa pls

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Dear Mr. Benning,

Please don't buy this year. Actually, go ahead and sell high on players like Richardson and Matthias. The Ducks have been sellers at the deadline in the past when they were in a playoff spot but knew they weren't contenders, and it worked wonders for their prospect pool.

For the love of God at least don't throw away our actually worthwhile young players for terrible reclamation projects. I would actually like to see a Stanley Cup in Vancouver before I die.

Best regards,
ThinkTank

it sounds like they're trying to pick through the clearance rack to try and find some scoring talent and otherwise will just be looking to dump Kassian. Botchford was talking about there being a completed deal to Boston that fell through (but I honestly couldn't tell if he was just trolling some dude on Twitter or not), and the rumor right before that was talk of a Kassian/Matt Bartkowski trade. Bart seems like a decent dude to target, good rate stats but clearly on the outs with the coaching staff (a full month of healthy scratches!). it looks like interest in Kassian is very, very low and i don't know if Willie even wants to play him enough to give him a chance to rehab his value.

really i'd like to see them field offers on Higgins and Hamhuis because they're about the only assets the team has who will pull back in equal value, and neither of them would be around to contribute on the next theoretically good Vancouver team, which is at least 4 years in the future. i wonder if Aquillini will step in and stop them from trading off contributing players if they're still in the playoff hunt

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Trevor Bird posted:

why would you wish this upon us

He's still a decent player and I like Nashville so I want him to go there and help them win a few playoff series

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I would like for the penguins to get some good helpful dudes and not give up important parts to get them

Basically it would be cool if the pens could swing some of the ridiculous trades we always talk about like Craig Adams for Patrick kane. You know, one of those dumb ones

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

i hope that the canadiens don't do anything unless they can dump more of their lovely players on dumb teams or pick up a decent player without giving anything of value up.

i hope they don't trade eller because even though i don't think he has enough offensive ability to be a top 6 player, he'd make a really good third liner in a more checking line with a bit of offensive threat role if we had a coach smart enough to play such lines.

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 13, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aye Doc posted:

really i'd like to see them field offers on Higgins and Hamhuis because they're about the only assets the team has who will pull back in equal value, and neither of them would be around to contribute on the next theoretically good Vancouver team, which is at least 4 years in the future. i wonder if Aquillini will step in and stop them from trading off contributing players if they're still in the playoff hunt

They better loving not trade Higgy or I will abandon this goddamn team for losing all my favorite players in like a 3 year stretch

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It sort of bugs me that most of the players the Leafs could reasonably move out for futures are in that bubble where they won't fetch you anything decent and are valuable roster players who wouldn't command exorbitant salaries.

Franson/Winnik/Santo aren't irreplaceable or anything but it's irksome to think that the Leafs will probably be looking to acquire guys exactly like them in a couple years and won't have a decent prospect to show between the three of them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JawKnee posted:

take back Luca Sbisa pls

If I live to see one thing, I wish for it to be the death of Luca Sbisa.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

whatis posted:

He's still a decent player and I like Nashville so I want him to go there and help them win a few playoff series

i'd much rather have winnik instead of stewart, but they're definitely in need of a "This Guy Isn't Matt Cullen" type player for the 3rd line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Zamboni Jesus posted:

at this point i'm not going to argue he is anything other than a bottom pair/7th defenseman, but a puts up positive numbers in sheltered minutes defenseman who is presumably on a reall cheap contract seems like someone worth having and not a structural problem with a team.

This reputation sort of follows him, but he basically had one good year of possession stats and has been a bad replacement defensemen the other years. He put up one good year of possession numbers by playing a high-risk style, and both giveaway/takeaway counts and "the eye test" basically make him out to be a Mike Kostka-type who has moderately favorable possession numbers but also blows a lot of plays while not really producing the more significant offensive stats.

As far as I can tell, he's basically a lame duck who looks good in shot differential stats at times but doesn't actually translate that into reliable full-time play, rather it is an anomaly from an irresponsible style which requires sheltering.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/diazra01-additional-5on5.html
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1512&withagainst=true&season=2011-12&sit=5v5

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread