Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Listen thread, I convinced a lot of very dangerous men to invest a lot of money in The Slap based merchandise, I really need this to be a hit. Please watch and share on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Listen thread, I convinced a lot of very dangerous men to invest a lot of money in The Slap based merchandise, I really need this to be a hit. Please watch and share on social media.
I look forward to you becoming increasingly desperate week after week.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
If you need The Slap to be a hit, then you're in luck: while not all hits are slaps, all slaps are a type of hit. Hell, the terms are almost interchangeable.

Perhaps they should have called the show "The Hit" just to ensure that everyone knew it was a Hit show.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8&t=463s

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
"Which one is 'the Slap?'"

I saw that last night and had to pause it so I could finish laughing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Tonight's episode was more!

The assholes were more rear end in a top hat. The horrible, overreacting parents were more horribly overreactionary. That way-too-old-to-be-still-breastfeeding kid was more slappable. And it turns out that even more married men are sleeping with even more women who are less and less often their wives.

Like I said: it was more.

Oh, and Don Falcone's girlfriend from Gotham is in this show. I thought I recognized her.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Perhaps they should have called the show "The Hit" just to ensure that everyone knew it was a Hit show.

You deserve some sort of bonus for creative ideas like this

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NOTHIN' GET RESOLVED BY TALKIN'

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

tarlibone posted:

Tonight's episode was more!

The assholes were more rear end in a top hat. The horrible, overreacting parents were more horribly overreactionary. That way-too-old-to-be-still-breastfeeding kid was more slappable. And it turns out that even more married men are sleeping with even more women who are less and less often their wives.

Like I said: it was more.

The inane stuff was also somehow more inane, which is honestly fairly exceptional. My favorite part was either Quinto or the stunt driver not quite pulling off the angry u-turn to drive away and the fact that no one thought it was worth re-shooting which it absolutely was.

The Slap is the counter-point to the Emmy academy's assertion that comedies can only be half an hour long.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Our roommate had this on in the background the other day and I watched a bit of it, I agree that most everyone comes across as a jerk. Also I like Zachary Quinto but that beard has to go.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I decided to be that guy that gets really into The Slap and talks about it with everyone, but no one else has seen it so I can basically build it up however I want. Except I'm a week behind I think, oops.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

I decided to be that guy that gets really into The Slap and talks about it with everyone, but no one else has seen it so I can basically build it up however I want. Except I'm a week behind I think, oops.

Actually, that's perfect.

Just tell everyone who will listen, and most people who won't, that you're behind a week on this show, so PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT!! Beg them not to talk about it, not to tell you what happened, don't even discuss it in whispers from across the room because you want--nay, need--to see it for yourself. Be a real buttbag about it while sharing the details from the episodes you've seen (or that you're making up on the spot).

The more you beg them not to Snape your Dumbledore, the greater they'll think it is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Super pumped for more of this amazing poo poo tonight.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait it airs at 8? I thought it aired at 9. gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait this is a real show, I only saw one ad for it and it was during SNL so I legit thought this was some big NBC meta joke

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Meta humor? This is NBC we're talking about here

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, I'm curious about something.

Is it just me, or does the Slappee family (Mama Slappee, Papa Slappee, Slappee, and I think some Slappee siblings) seem to live in the modern day equivalent of the Pit of Dispair?

Every time someone visits there, it seems like it's in an industrial area, or an ultra-run-down commercial or urban residential area. It looks like a corner loft of a warehouse, except on the ground level and way to lovely to be a loft. I get that it's constantly dirty--I had a little kid once (until his uncle slapped him and the universe imploded and was replaced by this parallel one), so I get that you just can't keep up with a couple of them all the time. But it looks super dirty. I mean, even if you cleaned it professionally and hired an army of organizers, it'd still look unkempt and shabby. Even the entryway is imposing and bodes ill will: a thick metal door, featureless except for the shiny black paint that only barely conceals a very rough, uneven surface. It opens and closes with a sound not unlike a jail cell. Message, I guess?

And on that note, Mama Slappee answered the door at the end of the episode looking like a loving peasant! Her shirt, if you can call it that, was oversized and hung off of one shoulder. And it distinctly didn't look like it was done as a fashion statement. It looked like that's just the best thing she has to wear when she's at home, washing dishes. "Look at how poor and put upon we are! I can't even look presentable at home!"

I hatelove this show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Slapee doesn't have any siblings. They only have the one vinyl-tossing titty-sucking special snowflake.

Also "The way you love your son is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise." Like holy poo poo you seen her breastfeed him, right? poo poo's hosed up. Don't encourage her.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
More scenes from the Pit of Despair, a.k.a. the Slappee homestead.

The kid is beating a toy truck against a brick wall. Over and over again, he slaps it against the wall, and his wife just says, "not so loud, Slappee."

Apparently, the Vulcan Face Slap has taught the kid that slapping is the answer to everything! Or, at least, the answer to plastic truck/brick wall conflicts.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Just caught up, it seems like Slappee's dad is slowly realizing his kid should probably get slapped more.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
In the pre-trial hearing, even the judge seems to have a hard time believing that the plot of this miniseries is actually a thing that exists. I think the writers are hoping that by acknowledging how stupid it all is, the audience will give them a pass on the ridiculousness because everybody knows that if you're self-aware of how dumb it is, it's OK for it to be dumb.

I'm not biting. It's just awful. And it's starting to get harder and harder to watch.

This teenage girl needs to move to Gotham so she can kill people and be killed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tarlibone you are a brave soul

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

tarlibone posted:

In the pre-trial hearing, even the judge seems to have a hard time believing that the plot of this miniseries is actually a thing that exists. I think the writers are hoping that by acknowledging how stupid it all is, the audience will give them a pass on the ridiculousness because everybody knows that if you're self-aware of how dumb it is, it's OK for it to be dumb.

I'm not biting. It's just awful. And it's starting to get harder and harder to watch.

Seriously though how many episodes are left of this garbage? I'm only watching for the inverse prestige of completion and to have a solid contender for worst show of the season in my back pocket. And as you said, it's becoming less and less worth it for even that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Seriously though how many episodes are left of this garbage? I'm only watching for the inverse prestige of completion and to have a solid contender for worst show of the season in my back pocket. And as you said, it's becoming less and less worth it for even that.

Including tonight's episode, there are three left.

And that's solid, because it is a miniseries. Thank loving Christ they didn't try to turn this into a regular drama series or serial. (Although, if they did that, I bet there'd be a lot more slapping.)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
This show was a lot better when I thought it was about Zachary Quinto touring the country to slap unruly children with special guests Uma Thurman and Peter Sarsgaard. Is it too late for them to make that show?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Inkspot posted:

This show was a lot better when I thought it was about Zachary Quinto touring the country to slap unruly children with special guests Uma Thurman and Peter Sarsgaard. Is it too late for them to make that show?
It's too late for a lot of things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm not even bothering until they do the actual courtroom scenes. It's hilarious how everyone on the outside is baffled that this thing has gone on as long as it has and how the mother keeps saying her son is suffering permanent damage and days/weeks later its still too soon to talk to him about it.

Sure Zachary Quinto's character is a blatant rear end in a top hat, but everyone else has been "It's not right to hit kids, but for fucks sake you need to get your son in line"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So, tonight, it seems like we're crossing a threshold: it may now be easier to count the adult stars in this show that aren't loving around on their spouses than it is to count the ones who are.

Oh, this show! It can be predictable, it can be random, it can be just outright awful, with events in an episode that would make a reasonable person simply stop watching.

And it can do this and just smile, like a friend. And I'll come running, just to watch it again.

It is the last drink I never should drunk.
It is the body hidden in the trunk.
It is the habit I can't seem to kick.
It is my secrets on the front page every week.
It is the car I never should have bought.
It is the train I never should have caught.
It is the cut that makes me hide my face.
It is the party that makes me feel my age.

Like a car crash I can see but I just can't avoid.
Like a plane I've been told I never should board.
It's a miniseries that's so bad but I've gotta stay til the end.

Let me tell you now, it's lucky for you that I lost the remote....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

It is the last drink I never should drunk.
It is the body hidden in the trunk.
It is the habit I can't seem to kick.
It is my secrets on the front page every week.
It is the car I never should have bought.
It is the train I never should have caught.
It is the cut that makes me hide my face.
It is the party that makes me feel my age.

Like a car crash I can see but I just can't avoid.
Like a plane I've been told I never should board.
It's a miniseries that's so bad but I've gotta stay til the end.

Let me tell you now, it's lucky for you that I lost the remote....
Venture Bros Season 4 finale really was something.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

So yea while my plan was to ironically get really into it I just can't do it. I've tried for weeks. Time to unbookmark.

Goodbye, and good luck my friends.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

So yea while my plan was to ironically get really into it I just can't do it. I've tried for weeks. Time to unbookmark.

Goodbye, and good luck my friends.

You can't give up now! There are only two episodes left!!

C'mon, you just hit the wall, that's all. Break through that wall!

SLAP through that wall! Become the slap!

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
I'm in for this end run. Predicting greatest finale ever. A mexican slapoff.

For a minute here and there in E2 and 3, I thought they were doing a "Today's POV character changes how the viewer sees other characters!" like The Affair did, but nope. Just nothing.

I almost saw a crazy mom nipple on NBC tho

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I watched the last episode and it felt like everyone involved in this is just cashing a paycheck.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

someusername posted:

I'm in for this end run. Predicting greatest finale ever. A mexican slapoff.

"A Mexican slapoff" is the funniest 3-word phrase I've seen in a long time. Every time I say it, a different mental image comes up, and each one is funnier than the last. This could be a Phriday theme. MEXICAN SLAPOFF!

Or maybe not.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I watched the last episode and it felt like everyone involved in this is just cashing a paycheck.

I disagree. I think they're acting the gently caress out of that script. They're acting it harder than they've ever acted anything before. Spock is acting his lines so actfully that his kids are going to be born acting out some of the lines. Or they'll be born slapped. It's hard to say, but this show is definitely going to gently caress up Zachary Quinto's sperm.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So about a week and a half ago I let some of this play on Hulu after only watching the first episode. It got through the Quinto, Uma Thurman and Grandpa Guy episodes while I was doing other things. By the time Grandpa's episode finished I realized that I legitimately had no idea what happened in it. While I focused some of my attention on the first two, I just totally tuned out for that one so I haven't bothered watching any more because clearly I can't even care on a subconscious level. I guess It didn't help that Thurman's episode had one of the old ladies deliver some weird line about her transgender grandchild or something that almost made me turn the entire show off.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dresh posted:

some weird line about her transgender grandchild or something that almost made me turn the entire show off.

So I haven't watched this show at all but...what?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I thought the advertisement for this series was a skit, kind of in the realm of SNL or Funny or Die material. That was about all I needed, really. TLDW

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Raxivace posted:

So I haven't watched this show at all but...what?

Uma Thurman was dining with her mom and some of her mom's friends. One of the friends casually says something about how she has grandson who is transitioning from a man to a woman, then refers to said transwoman as "him." A pretty minor line, but that stuff really irks me and I couldn't tell if it was supposed to convey out of touch old people, or how the new world is so wacky and weird!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Dresh posted:

Uma Thurman was dining with her mom and some of her mom's friends. One of the friends casually says something about how she has grandson who is transitioning from a man to a woman, then refers to said transwoman as "him." A pretty minor line, but that stuff really irks me and I couldn't tell if it was supposed to convey out of touch old people, or how the new world is so wacky and weird!

This is the kind of thing that's actually decent in terms of writing. Sure, they could write every single character in a way that makes them fit in 100% with current political correctness trends, catering to all minority groups and ensuring that nobody could possibly be offended by what these old fuddy-duddies were saying. Or, they could, you know, write them in a way that's convincing and honest and makes you think, "yeah, these are old people" instead of "hooray for grandma! She's so progressive; if more people were like here the world would be rainbows and sunshine lollipops hopping off of pink, fluffy clouds of acceptance and utopian bliss."

In my years, some (but not all) of the most racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. stuff that I've heard people say has come out of the mouths of old people who are blissfully unaware of just how insensitive, and sometimes hypocritical, they sound. That a grandmother whose grandson is transitioning into a grandtransdaughter would refer to that person as "him" instead of "her" sounds totally believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, that courtroom scene was pure hilarity.

If a kid who's slapped across the face is really that traumatized then it speaks more to the terrible sheltered way the parents are raising him.

The entire point seems to be that in the complete absence of any parental responsibility by 2 alcoholics what right do other adults have to discipline someone's kids. It's done in the most heavy handed way possible and comes off more as a joke then anything else.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread