Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Wow, that courtroom scene was pure hilarity.

If a kid who's slapped across the face is really that traumatized then it speaks more to the terrible sheltered way the parents are raising him.

The entire point seems to be that in the complete absence of any parental responsibility by 2 alcoholics what right do other adults have to discipline someone's kids. It's done in the most heavy handed way possible and comes off more as a joke then anything else.

Of course the courtroom scene came across as a joke. They have to make it feel that way or it'll be conspicuous when played along the rest of this ridiculous episode. I mean, they sent Slappee off to his first day of school. Did any of the 9 people in America who watch this show seriously think that was going to go OK? Or that Mama Slappee would take the news that her kid is a lil' fuckin' piece of poo poo well?

"We raised him as an equal." Holy poo poo, even in a fictional account of over-the-top writing for bad parent characters, that's patently ridiculous. You don't raise a little piece of poo poo kid as an equal. You don't raise any kid as an equal. Kids aren't equals. That's why they're not called adults. And how does the news that they're still breastfeeding this, what, 4 or 5 year old, not raise at least one loving eyebrow? Because I have news for folks: that's highly unusual. These people are the bad parents of bad parents. The writers looked up every modern parenting stereotype they could find and slammed it all together into one giant booger ball of horrible--we're supposed to think it's clever, but it snot.

And Papa Slappee is cheating on his wife, too? Huge surprise. And the photographer kid who has the proof but won't provide it to authorities? Why, we don't know what he's been through, but it's a lot, there's some subtext there, and on the finale, we'll find out who truly is... THE CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Sorry, wrong overrated piece of poo poo. I meant to say, we'll find out who truly is... THE SLAP.

(Shows like this one make it clear why the word "finale" is so close to "finally.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dropped after episode 3 because I didn't care about anything beyond Rich Man With Anger Problems and Worst Parents Ever Raise Worst Kids Ever. What do I need to know to watch Episode 7, which apparently focuses on the character I most love to hate?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I dropped after episode 3 because I didn't care about anything beyond Rich Man With Anger Problems and Worst Parents Ever Raise Worst Kids Ever. What do I need to know to watch Episode 7, which apparently focuses on the character I most love to hate?

All you need to know is that the Slap!! has moved to trial, and everything you thought was tolerable about Mama Slappee was wrong. This episode reveals just how wholly preposterously bad of a mother she is. I kid you not, pretty much every modern helicopter "my kid can do no wrong" parent stereotype is abused in this episode.

You think you hate her now? Just wait.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Literally nothing, aside from the fact that almost every man is cheating on their SO and in general most people involved are terrible people and have dark secrets. Both the slapped kid's parents are legendary drinkers, and the "artist" father has multiple arrests for alcohol related incidents. Oh, and the previous episode established that if the slapper is found guilty the parents can then civil sue for millions in damages to their precious snowflake.

Episode 7 is probably the highlight because it covers the parents of the slapped kid and shows their incompetency and bad parenting on full display. While on the stand the mom starts crying about how her son now knows that there is danger in the world because a grown-up slapped him and is constantly afraid and is now drawing dark and violent imagery rather then unicorns and rainbows.

They've split the entire courtroom scene up between episode 7/8 for drama/cliffhanger sake even though in the original the entire courtroom plot was contained within one episode so that the final episode could cover the fallout and reactions of the people involved. Even after Zachary Quinto's lawyer absolutely destroys the mother on the stand and makes her look like a completely incompetent parent there's still a attempt at forced drama as the father stands up to tell the prosecutor "I know something that can turn this around" cue dramatic music and credits.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I also quit after episode 3 and have no real intention of watching any more, but is the original version of this show any better, or at least are the characters any less overt cartoons?

e: as I say it, this show as an anime would be wonderful. I want to see Slapee have one big giant tear or an exclamation mark over his head when he gets slapped.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I also quit after episode 3 and have no real intention of watching any more, but is the original version of this show any better, or at least are the characters any less overt cartoons?

The AUS version is much better, because it doesn't try to milk the drama in the same cheesy way NBC is doing. It pretty much presents the entire tale by using different pov episodes exploring the lives of the people central to the slap and giving them a bit more nuance and character.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I remember being a kid and was at my uncles house anyway one of the neighbors actually did slap my younger cousin, I can't remember the whole thing I was very young but my cousin still remembers to this day getting slapped by her and that was 30 years ago or more.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part was the parents just not really caring about Slapee no longer caring at all about the slap. They showed mild befuddlement but beyond that were like "let's just continue operating on the assumption that my child is completely traumatized."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sylar was totally justified in slapping the poo poo out of that kid. I'm surprised he didn't try to eat his brains, kid got off lucky.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Sylar was totally justified in slapping the poo poo out of that kid. I'm surprised he didn't try to eat his brains, kid got off lucky.

Eating his brains wouldn't have been logical.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tarlibone posted:

This is the kind of thing that's actually decent in terms of writing. Sure, they could write every single character in a way that makes them fit in 100% with current political correctness trends, catering to all minority groups and ensuring that nobody could possibly be offended by what these old fuddy-duddies were saying. Or, they could, you know, write them in a way that's convincing and honest and makes you think, "yeah, these are old people" instead of "hooray for grandma! She's so progressive; if more people were like here the world would be rainbows and sunshine lollipops hopping off of pink, fluffy clouds of acceptance and utopian bliss."

In my years, some (but not all) of the most racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic, etc. stuff that I've heard people say has come out of the mouths of old people who are blissfully unaware of just how insensitive, and sometimes hypocritical, they sound. That a grandmother whose grandson is transitioning into a grandtransdaughter would refer to that person as "him" instead of "her" sounds totally believable.

I am only 31, and I had no idea up until a year ago that using the wrong pronoun for a trans person was actually offensive. I have nothing against it, I just have very little exposure to trans people and had never really thought about it. And if I had, I would have had no idea what pronoun to use because I'd never heard the idea that gender and sex could be different. It is fine to make people aware, but you shouldn't assume people are being offensive when they might just be ignorant of how people want to be treated. That sort of pronoun slip, especially, seems like something that literally never passed through the minds of the writers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

I am only 31, and I had no idea up until a year ago that using the wrong pronoun for a trans person was actually offensive. I have nothing against it, I just have very little exposure to trans people and had never really thought about it. And if I had, I would have had no idea what pronoun to use because I'd never heard the idea that gender and sex could be different. It is fine to make people aware, but you shouldn't assume people are being offensive when they might just be ignorant of how people want to be treated. That sort of pronoun slip, especially, seems like something that literally never passed through the minds of the writers.

... or it did, and they purposefully wrote the line in question with the wrong pronoun to show (without telling) that this grandmother, for whatever reason, was not accustomed to dealing with any trans issues whatsoever, to the point that even with a trans person in her own family, she still doesn't even know the proper etiquette regarding the right pronoun to use. Or, that she doesn't care, because if you're born a him, you're a him, and that's all there is to it, so says granny.

You could be right. The writers may have accidentally written "him" instead of "her" because they have no idea about pronouns and trans people. But given the fact that writing it this way accomplishes quite a bit of character development with a single three-letter word, I think the more likely answer is that the wrong pronoun was used on purpose by the writers to define a part of this ancillary character's personality in a very efficient and seamless way.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Hollismason posted:

I remember being a kid and was at my uncles house anyway one of the neighbors actually did slap my younger cousin, I can't remember the whole thing I was very young but my cousin still remembers to this day getting slapped by her and that was 30 years ago or more.

I got shoved up against a wall by my friends dad one time when I was like 9 after I cracked some joke at his(the dad's) expense and I still remember it. I don't think about it every day or anything but I suppose it's stayed with me to at least some degree, though I couldn't say what effect, if any, it's actually had on my behavior.

Anyway, this show sounds ridiculous to the point of hilarity, is it watchable in a MST3K style?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

I got shoved up against a wall by my friends dad one time when I was like 9 after I cracked some joke at his(the dad's) expense and I still remember it. I don't think about it every day or anything but I suppose it's stayed with me to at least some degree, though I couldn't say what effect, if any, it's actually had on my behavior.

Anyway, this show sounds ridiculous to the point of hilarity, is it watchable in a MST3K style?

Absolutely. I tend to riff-track it as I'm watching it on the first pass.

It's not so bad it's good. It's not so bad it's horrible. It's so bad it's impossible to not talk about how bad it is.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Absolutely. I tend to riff-track it as I'm watching it on the first pass.

It's not so bad it's good. It's not so bad it's horrible. It's so bad it's impossible to not talk about how bad it is.
By jove you've cracked it!

By the way did AIsha end up being terrible too? She was like the one character I had any sympathy for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The original had the court case over and done with half way through episode five. This show's really bloody milking it.

Hell, the actual slapping incident is really only relevant for two episodes (three and five). The rest are just about characters in the show's extended family having a bit of a wake-up call about what's going on in their lives -- getting a metaphorical slap in the face -- rather than going on and on about how some hyper-aggressive man hit a snot-nosed kid this one time.

There are several other really frustrating changes -- there's a distinct pro-life slant going on with Uma Thurma character, that didn't exist in the original (Anouk was so worried about having to look after her immature boyfriend, she couldn't conscience giving birth to a child). They've gone some way to whitewashing Harry (who was a nastier, and more interesting character originally) and the saga of Connie and Richie was far more involved.

The original's an actually good show, worth watching.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

By jove you've cracked it!

By the way did AIsha end up being terrible too? She was like the one character I had any sympathy for.

Aisha... was... almost not terrible.

But, she ended up seeing a friend. She says he's just a friend. But she's... she's got what he neeeeeds... but she says he's just a friend, but she says he's just a friend.... and here's were it gets really horrible: in an extended moment of weakness, she goes with this "friend" to a hotel room or something, and while he goes to the bathroom to wash off his junk (the male version of the whore's bath), she decides to pick up their discarded clothes. A wedding ring falls out of his pants, and she leaves after setting his wedding band on the nightstand for him to see. See, she won't cheat on her husband with this guy because he's scum, and what makes him scummy is the fact that he is cheating on his spouse. So she's a cheater and a hypocrite.

She was this close to not being terrible.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
The Slap: Everyone is Terrible. gently caress You.

One episode left and zero character self-awareness has yet to be found. I hate this show so much. I hope this is a landmark trial wherein everyone involved is shot into space, perfectly legally.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The courtroom scene was just painfully ridiculous. Harry's lawyer crucified her with the drinking poo poo. But as a cherry on top he decided in the last two minutes to bring up her little road trip, why? it served no purpose other than to show you how slimey of a lawyer he is. The drinking alone would probably show up everyone how lovely of parents the slapee's are.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My favorite part of the episode was after the end when they showed the teaser for the next episode and implied that it might not be the end of The Slap, even though the stars already hit the talk show circuit months ago and said that they only made eight episodes. Of course, maybe that was a clever lie designed to mislead, but I just can't see this show being, you know, clever. At all.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Clearly, this show will be rewnewed for a new season, so we can try to follow the complex affects of a guy slapping the poo poo out of a spoiled brat.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So which one was the slap?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You just got The Slapped.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So which one was the slap?

When you think about it... weren't they all the slap?

And aren't we also all the slap? In a sense, isn't everybody who has ever been, is now, and will ever be... the slap?

Even with this episode giving us a nice game of smear the queer, I still couldn't work up any emotion. It was all so dumb. They crossed the line of stupidity so many times in the previous 7 episodes that by this one... there wasn't anything left. Seriously, all they did was wrap up the story. The Slapper? He got a slap on the wrist. The Slappee family? Slapped with a warning: DCFS will be stopping by because your kid seriously almost injured a bunch of other kids while you were getting drunk. The Greek mamma and pappa? Ethnic as always, they slapped their tickets on the counter and demanded an upgrade to 1st class in exchange for a dozen coach tickets or some such nonsense.

I wanted this episode to at least be super-crazy-bad. Instead, it was just flat. I wanted to hate it. Instead, I was merely disappointed.

Perhaps that makes me the biggest slap of all.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I really wanted Hugo to slap Uma Thurman's baby to close the series just so anything interesting would happen at all

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I really wanted Hugo to slap Uma Thurman's baby to close the series just so anything interesting would happen at all

I had the exact same thought.

Hopefully this is just a "one and done" series and they don't get greedy and bring it back for a second (and terrible) season like folks behind The Following did...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I wanted that, too. Then, we could see the horrified look on Mama Slappee's face as she realizes that her son has been forever ruined (read aloud as roo-eeened) by the Slap! Then the camera pans over to Slapper, and you can tell, just by looking at him, that he knows that it's all his fault, and everyone has always been right all along about what a fuckface he is. Then cut to Slappee, because lil' boy's 'bout to get 'da SLAPPIN' OF A LIFETIME!!

Smash cut to a big fat Greek funeral. Two coffins: one small, the other even smaller. They're lowered into the ground and the family leaves, all but one, who is standing out of sight, far away from the funeral. It starts raining. The lone person standing there, a tall man whose face is obscured by a hoodie, walks up to the graves once they're in the ground and covered up. He drops to his knees, takes off the hood, clenches his fists, looks up to the sky, and screams, "Khhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!" Then lightning slaps him in the head, killing him and setting him on fire. You see the faces of many demons in the smoke that billows from his body. And at the gates of heaven, he is slapped in the face, but then the angel says "Just kidding! Man, was that kid annoying or what? Don't worry, you shan't run into him here, because this is heaven. Welcome!"

fin

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love that the judge was basically the voice of the audience. "This was a loving waste of my time. You, slapper, you get the bare minimum I can give you, time served. You, parents, in any other case you'd be in serious poo poo for parental neglect, DCS is going to be coming by and you will lose your kid if they find anything. Now, I've got to go adjudicate a case where a 9 year old was raped, so think on that and be grateful you insufferable pricks"

The main defense lawyer was spot on that the entire criminal case was just a prelude for a massive civil suit. As weepy and soft as the parents were, there was no chance they wouldn't then try to sue Rich Slapper for millions because of irreparable damage to their son.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

WescottF1 posted:

Hopefully this is just a "one and done" series and they don't get greedy and bring it back for a second (and terrible) season like folks behind The Following did...

It was intended as a limited series from the jump. It ended on a 0.7 so even if it wasn't it wouldn't be renewed, not even on Fox.

tarlibone posted:

I wanted that, too. Then, we could see the horrified look on Mama Slappee's face as she realizes that her son has been forever ruined (read aloud as roo-eeened) by the Slap! Then the camera pans over to Slapper, and you can tell, just by looking at him, that he knows that it's all his fault, and everyone has always been right all along about what a fuckface he is. Then cut to Slappee, because lil' boy's 'bout to get 'da SLAPPIN' OF A LIFETIME!!

Smash cut to a big fat Greek funeral. Two coffins: one small, the other even smaller. They're lowered into the ground and the family leaves, all but one, who is standing out of sight, far away from the funeral. It starts raining. The lone person standing there, a tall man whose face is obscured by a hoodie, walks up to the graves once they're in the ground and covered up. He drops to his knees, takes off the hood, clenches his fists, looks up to the sky, and screams, "Khhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!" Then lightning slaps him in the head, killing him and setting him on fire. You see the faces of many demons in the smoke that billows from his body. And at the gates of heaven, he is slapped in the face, but then the angel says "Just kidding! Man, was that kid annoying or what? Don't worry, you shan't run into him here, because this is heaven. Welcome!"

fin

This is loving art.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The ending to The Slap was a slap to the face of the audience, who assumed that something of merit would be slappening. Sadly, it revealed that the only thing broken was us.

It was us all along.

We were The Slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't watch the Slap, but all I need to know about it is that the Slapper got put on a criminal trial for slapping a kid in the face once after the kid kicked him in the friggin' shin or somesuch.

Look, if you're going around punching kids you belong in jail, or at least fined, but I think anyone ought to be able to hit basically anyone else, regardless of age, if they deserve it or have literally already assaulted you with greater severity. I mean there needs to be some wiggle room since a slap from a 130 pound woman and a 260 pound Brock Lesnar or UFC fighter can be dramatically different, but c'mon. I'm pretty sure the Broadchurch season 2 trial was less of a farce than Slapper's trial, and that was one of the worst T.V. trial I've ever seen.

I just hope Slappee's parents are forced to watch this and start vomiting in horror after witnessing all the permanent damage being done to so many people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninOz5ValUM

• Locked thread