Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bunting is the most beautiful thing
True. To hell with your defensive setup!
False. My team somehow has power and will feast on your lovely pitching.
BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT
View Results

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Wait. Lake Elsinore isn't anywhere near Santa Barbara. Or much of anything else. And UCSB tanked the end of the season. And all the Atlantic hosts are in Florida?

Gonna be a weird field tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, there was a lot of speculation that College of Charleston could host a regional--did their loss at the CAA tourney put a stake in those hopes, or what happened? Were they overblown?

I was psyched for the possibility of a regional in town.

Also, I was really impressed with the Gators last night. Both teams looked fatigued by the end of that marathon, but they showed a lot of resilience in the tournament and gained some much-needed momentum for the 64.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

elentar posted:

Wait. Lake Elsinore isn't anywhere near Santa Barbara. Or much of anything else. And UCSB tanked the end of the season. And all the Atlantic hosts are in Florida?

Yeah the nearest host is something like 600+ miles from Greenville. We're going to have like 10 fans show up where ever this thing is.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

elentar posted:

Really hoping SDSU gets sent to Lake Elsinore. It's only like 70 miles from San Diego

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Selection show's on now, if you're one of the 10 or so people who gets ESPNU.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Whew, didn't want to end up in UCLA's bracket

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ross Angeles posted:

Whew, didn't want to end up in UCLA's bracket

I would not be in the least surprised to see UVA and SDSU meet in the winner's bracket game there. What a weird regional.

edit: hmm. NC State gets one of the weaker national seeds with the TCU regional, but a tricky first-round game against Stony Brook. A little down on that matchup, but still would rather have TCU than Vandy or TAMU or some of the other teams that were in competition for those seeds.

whoa, I think UNC did end up playing their way out of the tournament. what a collapse.

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 25, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Man, Missouri really poo poo the bed. A month ago I thought they would be in for sure.

Then again, "Man, Missouri really poo poo the bed" is pretty much the slogan of Mizzou Athletics.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

4 teams in for the AAC, ECU to the Miami regional as the 2 seed. I feel pretty comfortable with our bracket compared to some of the other options.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

Man, Missouri really poo poo the bed. A month ago I thought they would be in for sure.

Then again, "Man, Missouri really poo poo the bed" is pretty much the slogan of Mizzou Athletics.

they got mentioned as one of the last four out, along with UNC, Michigan State, Southern Miss. baseball writer sorts sound worked up about North Florida, SE LA, Nevada, and Kentucky too.

Oregon is the big reach in the field, and also puzzlement about Bradley not just in but as a 2-seed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

elentar posted:

I would not be in the least surprised to see UVA and SDSU meet in the winner's bracket game there. What a weird regional.

SDSU has 70 miles to go to Lake Elsinore.

UCSB, the host, has 180 miles to Lake Elsinore.

This is odd.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Wait, who is SE LA?

I thought you may have been talking about SELU (my alma mater), but I don't see them here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2015-05-25/di-baseball-committee-releases-field-64-teams-2015-tournament

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
6 Pac12 teams get in, but only 1 host...

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Knew I shouldn't be nervous but after a 7 year drought its hard to stay optimistic. Tulane is in as a #3 headed to Baton Rouge. Not great odds, for sure, but I like our chances. We match up against UNCW well, and if we can win that game who knows. Strange things can happen when Tulane plays LSU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

FIRST ROUND SCHEDULE

All games Friday, All times ET

Fullerton Regional

Clemson vs. Arizona State, 6 p.m., ESPN3
CS Fullerton vs. Pepperdine, 10 p.m., ESPN3

Louisville Regional
Bradley vs. Michigan, 2 p.m., ESPN3
Louisville vs. Morehead St, 6 p.m., ESPN3

Champaign Regional
Notre Dame vs. Wright State, 1 p.m., ESPN3
Illinois vs. Ohio State, 8 p.m., ESPN3

Nashville Regional
Indiana vs. Radford, 3 p.m., ESPN3
Vanderbilt vs. Lipscomb, 8 p.m., ESPN3

College Station Regional
California vs. Coastal Carolina, 1 p.m., ESPN3
Texas A&M vs. Texas Southern, 7 p.m., ESPN3

Fort Worth Regional
Stony Brook vs. NC State, 2:30 p.m., ESPN3
TCU vs. Sacred Heart, 7 p.m., ESPN3

Houston Regional
UL-Lafayette vs. Rice, 3:30 p.m., ESPN3
Houston vs. Houston Baptist, 8 p.m., ESPN3

Baton Rouge Regional
LSU vs. Lehigh, 4 p.m., SEC Network
Tulane vs. UNC-Wilmington, 8 p.m., ESPN3

Gainesville Regional
Florida Atlantic vs. South Florida, 1 p.m., ESPN3
Florida vs. Florida A&M, 7 p.m., SEC Network

Tallahassee Regional

Auburn vs. College of Charleston, Noon, ESPN3
Florida State vs. Mercer, 6 p.m., ESPN3

Dallas Regional
Texas vs. Oregon State, 2:30 p.m., ESPN3
Dallas Baptist vs. VCU, 7 p.m., ESPN3

Coral Gables Regional
Columbia vs. East Carolina, 1 p.m., ESPN3
Miami vs. FIU, 7 p.m., ESPN3

Springfield Regional
Oregon vs. Iowa, 1 p.m., ESPN3
Missouri State vs. Canisius, 6 p.m., ESPN3

Stillwater Regional
Arkansas vs. Oral Roberts, 1 p.m., SEC Network
Oklahoma vs. St. John's, 7 p.m., ESPN3

Lake Elsinore Regional
Virginia vs. USC, 6 p.m., ESPN3
UC-Santa Barbara vs. San Diego State, 10 p.m., ESPN3

Los Angeles Regional
Ole Miss vs. Maryland, 7 p.m., ESPN3
UCLA vs. CSU-Bakersfield, 11 p.m., ESPNU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Im just happy our regional isnt paired with Miami again.

That seems to be a tradition.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

Wait, who is SE LA?

I thought you may have been talking about SELU (my alma mater), but I don't see them here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2015-05-25/di-baseball-committee-releases-field-64-teams-2015-tournament

Southeastern Louisiana University; my undergrad alma mater. Mostly a commuter school with a pretty decent baseball team. Back when I attended, it seemed like half the team was from Canada & the other half was from Mississippi.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, kibner, I just realized we're talking about the same school after I hit submit.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 26, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Southeastern Louisiana University; my undergrad alma mater. Mostly a commuter school with a pretty decent baseball team. Back when I attended, it seemed like half the team was from Canada & the other half was from Mississippi.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, kibner, I just realized we're talking about the same school after I hit submit.

Yeah, that's my school, too. I couldn't find them on the link I posted, though. So, I thought I may have confused what school the poster meant by SE LA.

e: lol

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

alpha_destroy posted:

That last month was awful but even on our good run we dropped way too many midweek games against nobodies.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kibner posted:

Yeah, that's my school, too. I couldn't find them on the link I posted, though. So, I thought I may have confused what school the poster meant by SE LA.

e: lol

I'd somehow never seen or registered the school's preferred acronym—sorry! The point was that some of the baseball writer types at Baseball America, D1Baseball etc. mentioned SELU as one of the teams with a legitimate gripe about being left out of the field.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

elentar posted:

I'd somehow never seen or registered the school's preferred acronym—sorry! The point was that some of the baseball writer types at Baseball America, D1Baseball etc. mentioned SELU as one of the teams with a legitimate gripe about being left out of the field.

No worries! Thanks for clarifying your post. I don't actually follow my old school's athletics much, so was kind of confused as to what was going on. And taking a look at just their record (42-17), I can see why there was talk of them deserving a spot.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Can't say Vandy definitively deserved a national seed, especially when there was no way 3 SEC teams were gonna get one. Really 4 of us could have had them, but w/e.

No complaints about Vandy's regional. Not drawing Louisville for loving once is a goddamned blessing. Here's hoping Illinois drops their regional because I'm not afraid of anyone else in that regional, especially as we'd host the super if Illinois falls.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Kibner posted:

No worries! Thanks for clarifying your post. I don't actually follow my old school's athletics much, so was kind of confused as to what was going on. And taking a look at just their record (42-17), I can see why there was talk of them deserving a spot.

What kept them out was their Top-50 record and SOS.

1-5 I believe. 3 loses to Tulane, 2 losses to LSU. 1 win in the Southland tournament. The LSU and Tulane losses were all Tuesday games, granted, but that still means they didn't play a single Top 50 team on the weekends in the regular season.

SELU needs to schedule better OOC or they will keep missing the tournament.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Grayly Squirrel posted:

What kept them out was their Top-50 record and SOS.

1-5 I believe. 3 loses to Tulane, 2 losses to LSU. 1 win in the Southland tournament. The LSU and Tulane losses were all Tuesday games, granted, but that still means they didn't play a single Top 50 team on the weekends in the regular season.

SELU needs to schedule better OOC or they will keep missing the tournament.

That makes sense. They should be able to do that in the future with some of the cold weather teams early in the season. Unless those teams don't feel playing in warm weather is worth the risk of playing a directional school.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Kibner posted:

That makes sense. They should be able to do that in the future with some of the cold weather teams early in the season. Unless those teams don't feel playing in warm weather is worth the risk of playing a directional school.

A team like UCONN would be a good start. Bubble team this year. From a good conference. They already come down to play us, and this year they had 3 game series with FIU, FAU, and Kennesaw St OOC

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Auburn-CoC is on now, then a whole bunch of games at 1. All on ESPN3.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Texas-Oregon State will be on LHN.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
The field at DBU is a mess. They have a helicopter hovering over the field to dry it out. Looking like this will be delayed.

e: delayed an hour

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 29, 2015

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Auburn-CoC is on now, then a whole bunch of games at 1. All on ESPN3.
Real good game, 6-6 in the 7th with a bunch of lead changes and runs in the last few.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just want the good regional games to start! :ohdear:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Real good game, 6-6 in the 7th with a bunch of lead changes and runs in the last few.

Charleston with the walkoff homer in the 11th. Was a really good game. Bad break for Auburn, though I think CoC has a much better chance of giving FSU a game tomorrow.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm all in on the CofC bandwagon for this tournament.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Carson Fulmer vs Lipscomb. heh. :smug:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

After 5 innings of farting around with dumbass bunt attempts, NC State finally breaks ahead with a 2-run Logan Ratledge HR. They're saving their ace for the potential game with TCU tomorrow, so it'll be pretty bad if they can't cash in today.

If you're a neutral, though, you should probably be watching Texas-Oregon State, two future MLB starters going in that one.

edit: ECU lost to Columbia and I really would like to laugh about that but not while State is this clsoe against a possibly even worse 3-seed.

whew, ballgame. State wins 3-0 though Stony Brook got the tying run up in the 9th.

meanwhile, Rice is throwing away a game against ULL, and OSU just retook the lead against Texas in the 8th.

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 29, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

UF 3-hit FAMU and cruised to a 19-0 blowout.

Bats finally woke up. :dogbutton:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Lots of close calls today, but finally an actual upset: VCU over Dallas Baptist. SDSU leading UCSB early though, and lots of people seem to expect Pepperdine to give Fullerton some trouble.

ESPN is abbreviated Houston Baptist as HOU BAP which makes me laugh for some reason.

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 30, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

elentar posted:

Lots of close calls today

Mercer just couldn't quite put the dagger in the Noles. :smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

This Dillon Tate guy is kinda good at pitching

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

An SDSU player just successfully stole home :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ross Angeles posted:

An SDSU player just successfully stole home :stare:

Great play. I don't think they win any other way.

Unless Bakersfield does something very surprising, that's it for tonight, they'll be back at it noon eastern tomorrow.

• Locked thread