Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

So basically if I'm planning a hardware upgrade I should do that now and get Windows 7 settled and happy before upgrading to 10?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

ModeSix posted:

Really there's no problem with Nvidia or Steam. The driver update is kind of a gently caress around, but other than that I haven't experienced any problems.

Well, you're lucky.

Me, and 87 pages worth of people, are extremely happy that nVidia released a driver that more often than not works like poo poo or just plain doesn't work: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ad-7-29-15-/87/

So yes, it can go either way. Just be aware that you're getting into this at ground level and there are still lots of things that only time will fix.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

I found that running Belarc advisor and pulling my windows 10 key that way was a working method for doing a clean install off of an upgraded system. YMMV of course.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nulldevice posted:

I found that running Belarc advisor and pulling my windows 10 key that way was a working method for doing a clean install off of an upgraded system. YMMV of course.

Typing that key in made absolutely no difference to anything. Hitting skip would also have worked

If you did the free upgrade, you dont have a windows 10 key

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone know how to stop Windows 10 from occasionally asking feedback questions like "How likely are you to recommend windows 10 to friends", etc?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Settings -> Privacy -> Feedback & diagnostics -> Never

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got users hassling me because they updated their personal desktop or laptop to Windows 10 and now it's hosed up. No, go away I'm not your home IT.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Hrm.. so since there's an activation thing that's not part of the free upgrade, and tied to hardware.. if I have an MSDN sub through work which probably has some Win10 keys, should I just use the keys from that to upgrade my computer, so that I can swap a vid card or add a hard drive and not invalidate things?

Thermopyle posted:

If that thread is to believed, Spotlight is available in Home and Enterprise...just not Pro.

It sounds like trying to get loving BBCA on my TV. You can get the crappiest TV package or the ultimate package with TimeWarner, not the mid tier. Durp.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

klaphark posted:

I tried to upgrade to win10 from win7 on my desktop pc and now its stuck on the 'Hello,welcome back!' screen and both my mouse and keyboard are not doing anything. I googled a bit and I tried different usb sockets, a different mouse, plugging them all out and restarting and plugging back in when windows has started but nothing works and it feels like I bricked my pc which kinda sucks. Anyone else had this problem/knows how to fix this? I haven't been able to play rocket league for 3 days :(

Turns out my motherboard (ASrock z67) doesn't have usb drivers for windows 10 so it was a driver problem. I worked around it by finding an old ps/2 keyboard and using mouse keys (left alt+left shift+numlock) to navigate to the rollback to win7 option. Guess I'll stick with windows 7 for a while.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I got users hassling me because they updated their personal desktop or laptop to Windows 10 and now it's hosed up. No, go away I'm not your home IT.

Here is the diplomatic way to handle it. Set your hourly rate to like $100/hour then refer them to Geek Squad to fix their problems if they balk. The minute you charge a fee they quickly skitter off.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did they remove the ability to burn disc images natively in Windows 10? I tried to burn a copy of the installation .iso from within W10 but I'm not finding the option to do that without installing 3rd party software. Seems like something you could Google but I spent a long time looking for info and all that comes up at this point is instructions for Windows 7.

I finally just copied it over to my desktop and burned a DVD copy, because I still have DVD drives on my systems :corsair: But I also have it on a flash drive so it evens out!

Highlight the ISO in Explorer, click on the Disk Image Tools tab of the ribbon, options to mount and burn are there. They should also be in the right click menu, unless a third party app is loving with it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Venusy posted:

Highlight the ISO in Explorer, click on the Disk Image Tools tab of the ribbon, options to mount and burn are there. They should also be in the right click menu, unless a third party app is loving with it.
Oh thanks, I completely missed "Disk Image Tools", even though it's highlighted in red...

It was missing from the right click menu, but I think that was before I did a clean install, and it's showing up now!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is anyone working on a new thread OP?

I've tried drafting out something, preview here. If anyone wants to continue it, I'd be happy to leave it to someone else. I wouldn't keep up with maintaining the live thread.
Suggestions/corrections/additional pictures are also welcome.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lowtechs posted:

Here is the diplomatic way to handle it. Set your hourly rate to like $100/hour then refer them to Geek Squad to fix their problems if they balk. The minute you charge a fee they quickly skitter off.

That, plus let them know they can find instructions online to go back to their old OS, but they have to do it before the end of the month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People keep saying all you need to do is call MS to get your licensed refreshed if you actually do update your hardware.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Windows 10 is awesome

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have an OEM System Builder key for 8.1. If I removed the key's registration on my current motherboard(?) and attempted to install on a new mobo with an NVMe SSD, would I be out of luck because 8.1 doesn't support it? This is so that I can do an in-place upgrade to Win10 on the new system and (hopefully) not have to worry about manual activation at all.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Anyone know why the Window 10 app store keeps launching? I haven't been able to pinpoint anything I've done to trigger it and its annoying.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

eriddy posted:

Anyone know why the Window 10 app store keeps launching? I haven't been able to pinpoint anything I've done to trigger it and its annoying.

Does it launch upon startup, or randomly throughout operation? If the former, check your startup apps, find it, and disable it. If the latter, I'm not sure. Could be linked to a keyboard shortcut.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

For the past few days my computer has been very slow to shutdown or go to sleep. It turns off the screen pretty quickly, but then takes minutes to actually power down.

Could this be caused by KB3081424 or is it a sign of hardware failure or something else?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I have an OEM System Builder key for 8.1. If I removed the key's registration on my current motherboard(?) and attempted to install on a new mobo with an NVMe SSD, would I be out of luck because 8.1 doesn't support it? This is so that I can do an in-place upgrade to Win10 on the new system and (hopefully) not have to worry about manual activation at all.

Just install to a normal hard drive and copy it over when 10 is installed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh, Windows Update insists on trying to install drivers for my motherboards stuff (I already installed the latest drivers)

I tried to disable this but they're still there in windows update, how do I get it to gently caress off?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

d0s posted:

Windows 10 is awesome

It's almost like they're trying to piss people off that like a polished UI. Introducing poo poo that flat out wasn't an issue ever before.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sappo569 posted:

Ugh, Windows Update insists on trying to install drivers for my motherboards stuff (I already installed the latest drivers)

I tried to disable this but they're still there in windows update, how do I get it to gently caress off?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 is worth a try.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

nielsm posted:

I've tried drafting out something, preview here. If anyone wants to continue it, I'd be happy to leave it to someone else. I wouldn't keep up with maintaining the live thread.

Looks good to me, stick a few of the common problems (nvidia drivers, wrong sized recovery partitions etc) and its done

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My sleep problem turned out to be Teamviewer in case anyone else runs into an issue where the machine keeps being woken up randomly. It was really frustrating to figure out because Event Viewer just kept showing "Unknown" in Power-Troubleshooter. I set the service to manual and stopped it for the time being until they loving fix it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone having issues with the Start search function? Worked perfect in Win8.1, now not at all. Only thing it can find is cmd.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Updated the linked test post with some more stuff, I think it's basically done now. If noone has any complaints I'll be posting a new thread in a bit.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The upgrade deadline is July 29th, not June 29th but otherwise looks good I think.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

New thread!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do I switch the #1 and #2 identities of my monitors? It's an issue because #2 is actually my primary monitor, and sometimes I'll switch off my secondary, the #1 monitor, in which case #2 becomes #1 and Windows applies the secondary's color profile to the primary.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Josh Lyman posted:

How do I switch the #1 and #2 identities of my monitors? It's an issue because #2 is actually my primary monitor, and sometimes I'll switch off my secondary, the #1 monitor, in which case #2 becomes #1 and Windows applies the secondary's color profile to the primary.

Switch the ports they're on.

If they're on the ports they're on for technical reasons (like "that's the one I could hook it into") this could be a problem.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

One nice thing I have noticed about Win 10 so far is I haven't had to install any additional codecs or players to use all my Linux ISOs, was this something they worked on for Win 8 or have they added a lot of codec support in Win 10?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Switch the ports they're on.

If they're on the ports they're on for technical reasons (like "that's the one I could hook it into") this could be a problem.
One is DVI and one is DP. :(

Can't I edit/reset something from the registry? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

VodeAndreas posted:

One nice thing I have noticed about Win 10 so far is I haven't had to install any additional codecs or players to use all my Linux ISOs, was this something they worked on for Win 8 or have they added a lot of codec support in Win 10?

The movie player still doesn't support DTS audio in MKV containers.

• Locked thread