Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Not enough lingering shots of Bosch obsessively rearranging murder books with jazz in the background as he mumbles brooding off hand remarks about The City and The Mission, IMO.

edit: Bosch Season One: Every shitpost counts or no post counts.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The introspection is what really makes the books and that's kind of lacking from the series. I too found it to be good, not great. Without being able to witness how Bosch is processing a case in his mind kind of robs a lot from the character.

He's also kind of toned down a lot, and much less of a kind of crazy obsessive rear end in a top hat. There's better ways to do Bosch if you don't have that inner monologue available: A Darkness More Than Night, one of the Terry McCaleb novels, does this pretty well where Bosch is not the protagonist but still features prominently in the story and he's so weird the main character suspects him as a serial killer.

So without all this you kind of had a stripped down feel of the series. I liked it a lot but as a big fan I kept asking myself if I wasn't catching all the little references or the characters (Pounds is really neglected and it takes half the show for Irving to really stand out) if I'd be getting as much out of it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Phobeste posted:

I really don't like the change of bosch from vietnam draftee (He was a draftee, right?) to a hooah special forces man who reupped after 9/11. It feels kinda cheap.

He signed up for it to get away from his crappy childhood ASAP but yeah he wasn't really a hooah kind of guy over it. I think him reupping is just so they can work in the tunnel rat background which wouldn't be that possible (I believe) had he just served in the Gulf War.

I think it would have been a lot more interesting a show as a period piece set in the early 1990s but I can understand why that wasn't an easy sell or cheap to do. I think they did a good enough job with having Bosch be younger, and if they'd stuck with the current books you'd have to have Bosch running around in his early sixties and even that is increasingly getting implausible even in the books.

• Locked thread