Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Really the only things I don't like about Evil Genius is that the GUI bugs out constantly for me, and agents setting themselves on fire due to their own idiocracy or friendly firing counts as me loving with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I've played way more Evil Genius in my day than is healthy. The main tip I can pass on is never build traps in your actual base if you want them to be effective. Instead, build a bunch of single room pagodas outside the entrance of your base (like literally 20 of them) and put a locked security door on them all. Then create single mini rooms of death within each one. Enemy agents will be so curious breaking into the pagodas and getting electrocuted/fried to a crisp, they'll almost never "discover" the actual main entrance to your base. This also helps with the issue of traps frying your own minions.

Edit:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I noticed there's nothing in the OP about mods. Evil Genius has somewhat of a mod community. From that, I can recommend that unofficial patch. Here's what it does in case you were curious:

God damnit now I need to fire up the game again

Edit 2:

Welp now I have to try scamtank's mod too. I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread....

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 20, 2015

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I really like Rimworld but I wish the colonists had more free will. I hate how you have to tell them to do everything. Is there any game more accessible than DF where the minions/peons have their own personalities?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Unholy Heights on Steam is a Evil Base Sim, where your evil base is actually just an apartment building for a bunch of monsters. You have to balance making money with keeping your tenants happy enough to be strong during defense missions.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Startopia's flaw was the fact that the landscape itself (except for the biodeck) was boring and rooms could only be square, there was nothing to work with and you just had to put down rooms in the right proportions and close to eachother which was really easy. It was more about managing your staff and promoting them which got boring really fast. Without the biodeck it wouldve been pretty forgettable.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I started replaying EG over the weekend. First game bugged out when my scientists couldn't research the centrifuge because I destroyed a generator (To replace with nuke power) and when I rebuilt the generator they didn't ever research it.

So I started a new game and decided "Doors that lead to doors that lead to doors may be the most effective means of agent control but it's not the most interesting" and I started trying to make elaborate trap structures.

If you link multiple traps together you can get some very impressive amounts of cash quite quickly. I used giant magnets to suck agents into hell on earth. They got pulled into a small room full of bees, confusing popups, nerve gas traps, dreadmills, and so on. The more traps you simultaneously hit someone with the bigger the cash bonus you get from it, so I haven't had to bother stealing for a while. It's not a huge amount of money but it's steady income and it never ceases to amuse watching someone trigger the trap and half the screen lights up with all kinds of horrible things.

The best part is that the motion sensor the traps are all linked to is in range of all the traps so when the agents are completely hosed up and wandering around in a haze of stupidity they fire off the traps again which in turn gives me more money, delays them longer, and so on.

Occasionally infiltrators and saboteurs get mad and blow stuff up, but then I just send in my henchmen to kill off the troublemakers, rebuild the traps, and let the fuckery continue. It's not as hands-free as the door mazes but it's SO much more satisfying because it's so much more evil, you know?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

khy posted:

I started replaying EG over the weekend. First game bugged out when my scientists couldn't research the centrifuge because I destroyed a generator (To replace with nuke power) and when I rebuilt the generator they didn't ever research it.

So I started a new game and decided "Doors that lead to doors that lead to doors may be the most effective means of agent control but it's not the most interesting" and I started trying to make elaborate trap structures.

If you link multiple traps together you can get some very impressive amounts of cash quite quickly. I used giant magnets to suck agents into hell on earth. They got pulled into a small room full of bees, confusing popups, nerve gas traps, dreadmills, and so on. The more traps you simultaneously hit someone with the bigger the cash bonus you get from it, so I haven't had to bother stealing for a while. It's not a huge amount of money but it's steady income and it never ceases to amuse watching someone trigger the trap and half the screen lights up with all kinds of horrible things.

The best part is that the motion sensor the traps are all linked to is in range of all the traps so when the agents are completely hosed up and wandering around in a haze of stupidity they fire off the traps again which in turn gives me more money, delays them longer, and so on.

Occasionally infiltrators and saboteurs get mad and blow stuff up, but then I just send in my henchmen to kill off the troublemakers, rebuild the traps, and let the fuckery continue. It's not as hands-free as the door mazes but it's SO much more satisfying because it's so much more evil, you know?
Please post a screenshot of that setup. It sounds amazing. :allears:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Were you using any of the mods?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Were you using any of the mods?

I always use the unofficial patch alongside a few mods of my own making (They add loyalty circles to hotel objects so my social staff doesn't quit when I tell them to take care of tourists).

I consider the loyalty circles to be fair and balanced because they also drain stats similar to the mouse maze; Piano increases loyalty and drains endurance slowly, the lobby counter drains attention slowly, the bar counter drains smarts slowly.

I also removed most of the stat-boosting effects from uber loot because I thought it was a little annoying how I would go through all the work to build up this incredible base full of pinball machines, arcane machines, TV, auto surgeons, cryogenic chambers, brain washers (My all time favorite torture device), and more... only to find that all my loot was keeping my minion's stats so high they never needed to use any of it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Where are the guinea pigs with the War for the Overworld trip reports?

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Until this thread, I had no idea there was a second island in Evil Genius. There's a point every time I play where I get frustrated because I don't have the minions I need, my heat is stupid high, I'm out of money, and my base is a goddamned mess, so I give up. I'm terrible at this awesome game. And now I have to reinstall it.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
If I could suggest an update for the OP- Evil Genius on gog has updates for the game that the steam version does not- namely a couple of traps, a new henchman, and various bugfixes. If you mod the game I assume all this is included in the unofficial patches, but it makes things a bit easier for the base player.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

XeeD posted:

Until this thread, I had no idea there was a second island in Evil Genius. There's a point every time I play where I get frustrated because I don't have the minions I need, my heat is stupid high, I'm out of money, and my base is a goddamned mess, so I give up. I'm terrible at this awesome game. And now I have to reinstall it.

Evil Genius Newbie Guide by Khy :

1) First off, play normal difficulty. Easy holds your hand too much, hard is for people who know how to twist game mechanics around their finger.

2) Every agent who visits your base has an allotted amount of time to spend. Your job isn't to kill or capture the agents who get in, your job is to prevent them from finding anything suspicious. (You can kill or capture them for fun, of course, it's just not necessary). Therefor your first job is to learn how to delay agents effectively. Agents who don't report back to base produce heat. Agents who report back saying they saw evil things produce heat. Agents who report back and saw nothing (Blue bar around their feet when you click on them)

3) Every agent finds a closed door irresistable. What's behind it? Plans for world domination? Kidnapped maidens? Stolen loot? The secret to immortality? THEY DO NOT KNOW! But they want to know, and that means that every door MUST be investigated. So to delay agents, build doors. Doors that lead to doors. Doors that lead to circles where doors are all in circles.

This base right here is going to be virtually impenetrable to all but the most elite superagents :

5) Early on you will want 50 minion capacity. You can easily get this with lots of lockers, but don't underestimate the free capacity you get with notoriety! Once you reach 50 minion capacity, you want 10 guards, 10 valets, 10 technicians, and 20 construction workers.

4) Build 6 control panels and staff them all. This will reveal all cash and protection values for all the areas of the world domination screen.

Learn which areas are $9 areas because these are your moneymakers. Midwest, North Africa, Europe, and Southeast Asia are the four most lucrative stealing targets.

5 workers in a $9 area produces $2,000 per minute. 5 Guards produces $4,000. 5 Mercenaries produces $6,000.

Take 15 workers. Place 5 workers in three of the $9 locations and 5 guards in the fourth. You're now earning $10,000 every minute, and you have very small amounts of heat in all four areas. Keep an eye on the world screen but don't get too worried about your guys out there. If the construction workers die, they'll just be replaced. If the guards die, there's still 5 left to train new ones. If you're worried about your nameless, faceless missions you're not playing the game right. Minions are as expendable as tissues. Use them, throw them away, don't look back.

5) Build slowly as you progress in the game. Don't rush. Patience is the true virtue of an evil genius.

6) When you get to Objective 3 and you're working up your research path, do more notoriety missions or build more lockers until you can support 60 minions. The extra 10 are for scientists. Let them wander your base and research stuff for you. Don't delete objects if you can help it, your scientists will want to research them.

7) When you get the objective to steal uber loot, stop stealing for a while and acquire all 6 of them. They have huge radiuses and are awesome at keeping minions loyal. Only when you have 6 should you bother stealing the 10k/minute the game wants.

8) Plotting isn't very well described in the game. The way it works is this : Every minute a minion spends plotting on the world map, information is accumulated. Every staffed control panel or control station you have boosts this amount. (I've heard that it's 10% for a fully staffed control panel and 20% for a station)

5 minions plotting will produce ~25 information per minute. Five fully-staffed control panels would boost that by 50%. giving you ~37.
5 technicians will produce ~50 per minute, or 75ish.
5 scientists will produce ~112 or so.

When your information in a specific region accumulates enough, you discover acts of infamy. Using high-level science minions and lots of control panels/control stations will accumulate info very, very rapidly. Information never 'degrades' over time.

BUT!

Some acts of infamy are hidden until you reach certain notoriety ranks. As an example, even if you accrue 1 million information about east europe, the mission to steal crown jewels will NOT appear until you have 250-300ish Notoriety. So in order to do all the missions everywhere you need lots of notoriety AND lots of information on a region.

Reach 250-300 notoriety and don't have enough information? The AoI doesn't appear. Reach max information but not notorious enough? The AoI doesn't appear. Have them both? Now you can steal the crown jewels.

There's debate about how the information is calculated, with some people saying that the control panels add a flat number bonus on to the information amount and others say it multiplies the information amount. My testing suggests it's the latter but I have no proof. Regardless, either use the cheat below or just always use lots of really smart minions to plot and you'll always do fine.

9) *** CHEAT ***

Because of the fact that information never degrades, there's a way to game the system. Agents don't appear on the world map before you capture and interrogate the maid. If you build a hundred lockers and send out minions to every point on the map, tell them to 'plot' and leave the game running overnight you'll accumulate all the information ever. Then you don't have to spend any time at all plotting. You can also use this as a way to cheat and steal money early game with zero consequences.

Personally I hate using it because it takes away from the fun of the game; the balancing act between stealing, plotting, generating heat and hiding your presence is a key component to the strategy. Do I send out lots of minions to plot very fast, but raise my heat high? Do I keep minions at home in case an agent breaks through my defenses? Do I send valets out with minions to help keep heat low, but put them at risk to agent attrition? Etc. But you should play the way you enjoy.

10) Traps are fun but they're tricky to use effectively. Your own minions can fall prey to them as easily as agents. Too many people consider their minions to be valuable, and that isn't the case (except maybe with the top-tier ones). If you want to play with traps, start small. Place traps, place triggers, and watch closely in the area to see how the agents react and how they move. Agents can sometimes move out of range of certain traps after triggered. They can sometimes avoid the triggers entirely. Learn each trigger's advantages and disadvantages, learn how each trap affects your own minions and learn how traps affect agents. It's tricky but INCREDIBLY satisfying when you learn the system and find the best ways to safeguard your base. Also, you get small cash bonuses if you hit an agent with multiple traps simultaneously. It's not a huge amount but it's a nice little bonus.

11) If an agent DOES make it into the base and finds lots of horrible things but your heat is already high and you don't want to kill him, you have to make him forget what he saw. Capture him and use a smarts-draining interrogation method, then capture him again and drain his attention. This will reset him.

Smarts-draining : Brainwasher, Brainiac Machine, Biotanks, Mess Hall Mixing bowl counter.

Attention-draining : Centrifuge, AI Supercomputer, Greenhouse, Marksman Shooting Range (This also can damage health).

(And just to be complete...)

Health-draining interrogation : Giant Laser, Interrogation Chair, Impact Stress Test Machine, Environment Chamber, and Bookcases.

Also, when you're interrogating civilians to train new minion types, ANY of the torture devices will work. It's hilarious to stuff a mercenary into the Centrifuge, or to have the Spindoctor tell you his secrets while being dunked into vats of biochemicals.

12) Need to capture an agent but don't want to risk military minions or henchmen (Especially useful for superagents)? use psychological weaken tags to send valets or spindoctors after him. Then when his attention/smarts reaches 0 tag him for capture. Easy as pie.

13) Don't try to kill a superagent with the death cubicle, they'll escape instantly anytime you try.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 24, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_DxIq_TOGY
Gruesome torture!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

YOU HAVE FOUND MY SECRET YOUTUBES.

You must never leave my base alive.

I had to interrogate like six agents in a row because for some stupid reason they kept doing cymbals like 5 times in a row and I wanted one video that had ALL the chair animations - cymbals, smoking, jacksondance, and spin-hit.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 24, 2015

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Ok, well, thanks, I'll give EG another shot because of your write-up. This is what I've been looking for (specifically the SS of the impenetrable base).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mune posted:

Ok, well, thanks, I'll give EG another shot because of your write-up. This is what I've been looking for (specifically the SS of the impenetrable base).

The key is patience. Evil Genius is a slow game, it's really easy to push yourself too hard to make money to build quickly and then you get tons of heat and attention and it all goes to hell.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
It might be an unpopular suggestion to some but the money cheat in Evil Genius is pretty great if you care more about just building an awesome evil fortress rather then messing around on the overworld map forever. I used it on my last playthrough because with the 500 minion cap I was using, making money was not a matter of difficulty but rather just waiting around forever.

In fact the overworld stuff is always what felt like the least fun part of the game to me, it took way too long to get minions out there and the rate of acquiring money was quite slow compared to how quickly you could burn through it trying to make a super awesome base.

Also I don't recommend having 500 minions, it was kind of a clusterfuck, 200-300 would be plenty enough without running into congestion problems and lack of space.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Harry Joe posted:

It might be an unpopular suggestion to some but the money cheat in Evil Genius is pretty great if you care more about just building an awesome evil fortress rather then messing around on the overworld map forever. I used it on my last playthrough because with the 500 minion cap I was using, making money was not a matter of difficulty but rather just waiting around forever.

In fact the overworld stuff is always what felt like the least fun part of the game to me, it took way too long to get minions out there and the rate of acquiring money was quite slow compared to how quickly you could burn through it trying to make a super awesome base.

Also I don't recommend having 500 minions, it was kind of a clusterfuck, 200-300 would be plenty enough without running into congestion problems and lack of space.

If you ever need more than 150 minions you're doing something insanely wrong. Just get 10 of each minion (From the Tier 3 all the way down to Tier 1) and 30 construction workers. Add in the henchmen you get when playing normally and you're unstoppable when you reach that point.

mune posted:

If you have any questions or get lost/stuck/need advice/etc just post in here, I'm usually pretty good about monitoring this thread. I'm also certifiably insane because when I play this game I force my cat to sit in my lap and stroke her fur while I laugh maniacally at the agents suffering my wrath.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

khy posted:

If you ever need more than 150 minions you're doing something insanely wrong. Just get 10 of each minion (From the Tier 3 all the way down to Tier 1) and 30 construction workers. Add in the henchmen you get when playing normally and you're unstoppable when you reach that point.

Oh for sure, but it really wasn't a matter of need, more just a matter of more minions to sacrifice being fun and also being able to not give a drat how many idiots are wandering around your hotel or deciding to circle around the entire island for no reason.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i would always cheat for more minions, it just gives you more to have fun with. Also use the first island to experiment, don't just give up and restart! since you start over later having a subpar base layout during the first island doesn't matter at all. IIRC though there are a few things you can only research on the first island, so look that up or cheat a bit. Also having huge trap rooms is way more fun than the old door maze and it gives you money too.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Davincie posted:

i would always cheat for more minions, it just gives you more to have fun with. Also use the first island to experiment, don't just give up and restart! since you start over later having a subpar base layout during the first island doesn't matter at all. IIRC though there are a few things you can only research on the first island, so look that up or cheat a bit. Also having huge trap rooms is way more fun than the old door maze and it gives you money too.

You can research anything on either island. The only things you're limited to on Island 1 is totem pole assembly (You can collect the pieces on Island 2 but they will never assemble), unlocking more than one 'advanced' research tool (AI Supercomputer, Greenhouse, Environment Chamber), completing the assassination sub-objective, and acquiring more than 4 pieces of uber loot if you decide you want all 6.

All of the recipes in the game are designed to be researchable with Centrifuge, Impact Stress, Biotanks, Laser, and 1 of those three. Having all 3 just gives you access to more doomsday machine choices and more tortu... I mean, interrogation options. It's impossible to reach Island 2 without at least 1 of the advanced tools though.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Screw Evil Genius. I used to like that game but its insufferable because of a lack of a speed up time option along with the way you make your money. It's terrible having to micromanage your minions in realtime, but then have to wait forever as they slowboat their way to whatever heist or job you have planned. Then, oh oops there's a counteragent in the country you wanted to steal money from! You now have to ship all these dudes back that you just waited for, or let them all die in short order. gently caress.

And there's realtime waiting for EVERYTHING: order some equipment? wait. building something? wait. shift change? lol wait. game is a bunch of smart moves all tied together with a horribly unfriendly play system.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nathilus posted:

Screw Evil Genius. I used to like that game but its insufferable because of a lack of a speed up time option along with the way you make your money. It's terrible having to micromanage your minions in realtime, but then have to wait forever as they slowboat their way to whatever heist or job you have planned. Then, oh oops there's a counteragent in the country you wanted to steal money from! You now have to ship all these dudes back that you just waited for, or let them all die in short order. gently caress.
You can just set them to hide. It's the third(?) of the buttons you see when clicking on a region which let you set them to steal, plotting or hiding. They'll resume their last task after a short while (which is almost always longer than the time the agent spends in the place).

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Poil posted:

You can just set them to hide. It's the third(?) of the buttons you see when clicking on a region which let you set them to steal, plotting or hiding. They'll resume their last task after a short while (which is almost always longer than the time the agent spends in the place).

It's been awhile since I've played it. But regardless of time-saving tricks like that one, the game still has an obnoxious amount of waiting with no way to power through it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Poil posted:

I always just let them die. I hardly ever bother to let minions return; they go out, do the missions, henchmen get orders to return to base while minions stay out there stealing/plotting/whatever until the agents manage to kill them all off for me.

And personally I like the real time stuff; it's somewhat neat to watch the entire progression. If you're waiting for something you can watch the entire thing - purchasing where the minions take the money to the depot to buy everything for you, the construction process, the research process... you can sit there and follow your minions every step of the way. Admittedly, the lack of speed controls IS annoying but I guess the designers worried that people would miss things like agents appearing on the world domination map and such.

EDIT : Has anyone here tried Evil Genius Online, the facebook game?

I've always sort of wondered in the back of my mind whether or not there was any subtance to it, but since I never got into social networking and facebook/myspace/twitter/etc I never found out for sure.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

khy posted:

facebook game

I believe you've answered your own question.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Your minions are away on a mission. Time left: 30h. Press this button to speed up completion time for only 2000 notoriety points (available in the cash shop). Your chance of success is 5%. To increase success click here to spend henchman points (available in the cash shop). An enemy agent is stealing a loot item. Your minions have a 10% chance to prevent it if they spot it. Better their chances for only 1750 notoriety points. Looks like a super agent is tearing up your base. Spend your agent-be-gone powder (available in the cash shop) to drive them away, for now.

Earn free notoriety points by getting your friends to like and join the game. Every friend they invite will also give you a bonus to your points.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you remember the dungeon keeper mobile game, it is as bad as that

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Davincie posted:

if you remember the dungeon keeper mobile game, it is as bad as that

Oh dear god no.

Someone needs to kickstart a project to buy the creative rights back from Rebellion and get someone competent to make a new EG game. One that builds on the premise of the first but without its flaws.

The dream mustn't die!

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

khy posted:

10) Traps are fun but they're tricky to use effectively. Your own minions can fall prey to them as easily as agents. Too many people consider their minions to be valuable, and that isn't the case (except maybe with the top-tier ones). If you want to play with traps, start small. Place traps, place triggers, and watch closely in the area to see how the agents react and how they move. Agents can sometimes move out of range of certain traps after triggered. They can sometimes avoid the triggers entirely. Learn each trigger's advantages and disadvantages, learn how each trap affects your own minions and learn how traps affect agents. It's tricky but INCREDIBLY satisfying when you learn the system and find the best ways to safeguard your base. Also, you get small cash bonuses if you hit an agent with multiple traps simultaneously. It's not a huge amount but it's a nice little bonus.

I must be the only person who thought traps were the highlight of EG.

I feel like most people make the mistake of setting up traps where minions go, though? I always had the door-maze thing going on, with a few of them leading to some pretty sick trap rooms. It made the game somewhat trivial once you learned the good trap combo's, though. Blowing entire commando teams down a flaming hallway to be mobbed by bees was a pretty unique game mechanic.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Counterpoint to the 500 minion cap strategy:

You can build a base with a tiny arsed control room, along with a library and staffroom just big enough for a movie theatre and vending machines; just enough to keep your scientists from becoming useless, and devote the majority of your floorspace to a fuckoff massive training room, stuffed with punching dummies and shooting galleries. Keep 10 mercs each in the $9 regions and leave your base permanently on red alert. You'll need to keep your recruitment rate set at $4000 if your new minions are to have any hope of making it to your base across the warzone that is your front lawn.

Maybe I play too many mmorpgers with goons but the "human tidal wave" will always have a special place in my heart.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Whelp, now I'm reinstalling this game and making Outer Heaven.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Just noticed Startopia was added as a beat the average game in the Square Enix humble bundle. It's good and you should play it. Might well be my favorite game, period, becuase man is it Bullfrog as gently caress, in a good way. Borrows elements from Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper, and it's aged remarkably well--still looks crisp as hell with the shader and widescreen patches. You might not be carving out caverns to hold your little minions, but you can set up a tourist trade to fleece them dry instead. Then terraform your bio-deck and set up enough industry to achieve complete self-sufficiency and a utopian post-scarcity society, where all your dumb aliens live in harmony until they all get murdered by Skrashers. Please keep your station clean.

As far as user created content goes, I really liked Hyperspace Station from here. It's a sandbox trading scenario with the conceit that your station makes scheduled, random jumps to different planets, which limits the availability of goods and visitors in an interesting way, plus some other scripted events.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

khy posted:

Thanks, man. I think my biggest impediment is patience. I'm doing okay right now, but somebody somehow slipped past my security and blew up my control room. I hope I can roll back a save and prevent that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I like to build a false entrance to the base with a level three door, and inside of it is just a big locker room full of smarts-draining traps. Works extremely effectively as a roach motel for low-level agents.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Startopia is awesome if you are like me and get impatient with Evil Genius. You can do a lot of little things directly like sorting through cargo and harvesting space drugs, it's a little more god-gamey in that regard. Plus your citizens and machinery are a real joy to watch. There's nothing quite as cool and perfectly fulfilling as setting up a perfect evil base full of traps and hotels and Evil stuff but there are three huge decks full of people to make happy in various ways and its all very lovingly rendered and fun.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I found the greatest joy of Evil Genius to just sit back and watch the minions do their work, occasionally prodding the game a little to tag some jerk.
Very relaxing and still one of my favourite games to this day.

EDIT:
Slavery mod for Rimworld. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10878.0
This should make that game tick the Evil box in the title as well.

Spy_Guy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 25, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

khy posted:

I keep EG installed on my computer and I keep finding myself drawn back to try playing it again, I just always run out of ideas to make a unique base layout I haven't made before.

My favorite layout still has Alexis sitting in a 2x2 lair in the middle of a control room so it's like she's overseeing all operations from her desk (And boosting everyone in range to boot!)
This is basically the correct way to play EG and I don't know how anyone lives with having a Mastermind that's not Alexis. Not having to worry about your idiot henchmen running off and leaving the nerve center unpopulated is sublime.

e: Also, regarding this:

This works even better if you put pressure plates outside the door linked to pop-up targets inside each of these dummy rooms. They require no extra power, and after those stupid agents guess wrong enough times, they'll forget where they've been and have to do it all again! :mmmsmug:

The downside is that your minions will probably get caught up in the psychological weakening quite a bit, but gently caress them.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Coolguye posted:

This is basically the correct way to play EG and I don't know how anyone lives with having a Mastermind that's not Alexis. Not having to worry about your idiot henchmen running off and leaving the nerve center unpopulated is sublime.

e: Also, regarding this:

This works even better if you put pressure plates outside the door linked to pop-up targets inside each of these dummy rooms. They require no extra power, and after those stupid agents guess wrong enough times, they'll forget where they've been and have to do it all again! :mmmsmug:

The downside is that your minions will probably get caught up in the psychological weakening quite a bit, but gently caress them.

I never really liked Alexis since a single piece of uberloot did her job for her, and Eli isn't nearly as broken as the other two starting henchmen

• Locked thread