Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Condit vs Bendo needs to happen

I don't wanna see that, I like them both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah I like Benson, but more than a few of his fights lately have been pretty dry.

Sometimes though he busts out insane poo poo that makes me remember why I like him.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
An actual tear is in my eye. It's like 2010 Bendo all over again. He's returned.

I'm just so happy right now, ahhhhh

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
POTN's: Borg and Magny
FOTN: Henderson vs Thatch

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

1st AD posted:

POTN's: Borg and Magny
FOTN: Henderson vs Thatch

Good poo poo

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

woozy pawsies posted:

How did you expect Benson to win??

Ugly decision. I kinda thought Thatch would win even though he's kinda the modern Ben Saunderson. MMA rules. There are still 5'9" elite heavyweights.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Post-fight presser is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozn9wdI1ikI

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

tesilential posted:

Ugly decision. I kinda thought Thatch would win even though he's kinda the modern Ben Saunderson. MMA rules. There are still 5'9" elite heavyweights.

nope

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dana White on Anderson's positive test: "Lots of bad poo poo is coming Wednesday"

:ohdear:

Thatch: "Benson is a hell of a fighter but he does horrible makeup" :3:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

Dana White on Anderson's positive test: "Lots of bad poo poo is coming Wednesday"

Nick's gonna get suspended for like, a year or something.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

I wonder what he meant by that. I just got home so I didn't catch him say it myself.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

When will a commission put a stop to Bendo's reckless toothpick antics?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
extremely good loving poo poo from the world's collective main man magny and bendo. feel good fights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

has there ever been a ufc card where literally all of the fights went to a decision

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

minoru suzuki posted:

has there ever been a ufc card where literally all of the fights went to a decision

i feel like it happened a year or two ago

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Dangersim posted:

i feel like it happened a year or two ago

I feel like there was one not even that long ago. Wasn't there one just before the Sydney card which put it in stark contrast?

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

it wasn't every fight but the closest was a year ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Machida_vs._Mousasi

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This was Neil Magny's first ever Performance of the Night award! I sure hope he doesn't party too hard :)

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 15, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who ever did that messed up their number commas :colbert:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Aurain posted:

Who ever did that messed up their number commas :colbert:

Well maybe I'm not that good at photoshop when it's one AM am I'm totally loaded :colbert:

Edit: on the Youtube video of the post-fight presser, the top comment is really something

quote:

Crap loving card and we're seeing this more and more, plus the roids, Sonnen, Lesnar, Anderson Silva (have you any doubt in your mind he juiced throughout his career and they deliberately looked the other way? First random test ever---BUSTED lolz) ; CM Punk LOL--the circus goes on... Dana BLIGHT the scourge of MMA gently caress you, you bald, perpetually 12 year old retard--thanks for making MMA go down the drain at epic speed, faster than boxing. Oh, and gently caress the Fuckshitta Brothers too.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 15, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fuckshitta brothers is probably now going to be the name of my next rap group.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I DVR'd the last two fights to get to sleep at a decent hour and watch Thatch kill Bendo in the morning. Good to know I can just delete them now and do something productive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

El Roncho posted:

I DVR'd the last two fights to get to sleep at a decent hour and watch Thatch kill Bendo in the morning. Good to know I can just delete them now and do something productive.

Thatch/Bendo was an amazing fight. Watch it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

JuanGoat posted:

I think he'd be better off sticking to his grappling heavy style where he would put people on the cage and then beat the poo poo out of them, like what he did to Guida and Bocek. In his most recent fights, (Dos Anjos and Pettis) he seemed pretty content to strike with them, and unfortunately he isn't very good at sticking to one style. He does much better when he's mixing things up, which I think is where he gets his nickname ie "smooth" (because he can transition from one style of fighting to another with ease)

Yeah I always saw Bendo as a guy who would excel scrambling with his opponents and mixing up striking with a lot of wrestling. He's a decent striker but I think he shines when he gets to wrestle people

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Roncho posted:

You're a smart individual. Because that poo poo was depressing.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That was impressive stuff from Bendo. Thatch looked a lot more muscular than in his previous fights, maybe that cost him a bit of speed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was some cool poo poo from Max "Button Masher" Holloway, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mean Bean Machine posted:

That was impressive stuff from Bendo. Thatch looked a lot more muscular than in his previous fights, maybe that cost him a bit of speed

Thatch spent the first round and a half trying to knock Benson's head off. He even said so after the fight. That's why his corner was imploring him to focus more on speed than power after round one. I think it's just a case of Benson is just too fast for him period. Thatch has a bright future, but Benson is really good.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone think that part of Henderson's performance was that he didn't need to cut weight? I think if anything, this makes me think Benson should be cutting less and being a bit smaller to make 155. I think he's always made a pretty decent cut to get to 155.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

n8r posted:

Anyone think that part of Henderson's performance was that he didn't need to cut weight? I think if anything, this makes me think Benson should be cutting less and being a bit smaller to make 155. I think he's always made a pretty decent cut to get to 155.

Henderson setting a fast pace and grinding his opponents down is something he's always done. I don't recall him ever slowing or tiring at 155. The reason he had some close boring fights against top guys at 155 is that he was fighting guys with similar skillsets who he couldn't wear down with volume of striking or takedowns.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
http://gfycat.com/CreamyWarmheartedCoyote

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

The toothpick at the end was pretty funny also

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Someday the referees are going to be shining a flashlight into every fighter's mouth before they enter the cage. We'll probably call it the Bendo rule.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Where does the toothpick come from?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

EmmyOk posted:

Where does the toothpick come from?
The Bendo Zone.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Benson Henderson lives in Phoenix so I'm guessing it came from Fry's food and drug store. It's not a bad chain but the stores vary from location to location. Or it may have came from Albertsons but they're sometimes a little more pricey.

If you mean where did it come from during the fight, his coach has spoken about it before. This was from an interview after the Nate Diaz fight when I believe it was noticed for the 1st (2nd?) time.

John Crouch posted:

Something kinda crazy that came out of the event last night were all these questions about whether Ben fights with a toothpick in his mouth. You train with him and see him all the time. Is that just a comfort thing? Does he really do that? Or are you not at liberty to discuss it?

I don't ever know when he had it in. I tell him not to do it and he either does or doesn't do it. I don't know. We're gonna work on it. I think with all this attention, hopefully this will stop him from doing it anymore. I've been asking him for years not to do it. I've checked. I've physically looked. I can't tell if he has it or not sometimes. He's a stubborn kid and that's why he's a champion. I don't know why that's his little thing. I'm sure they're gonna give him a hard time about it. I didn't know it was in there. It makes me sad that that's what people wanted to talk about. I understand it's a curiosity, but at the press conference, some idiot that was the first question they wanted to talk about. Like seriously? You just watched that fight and the first question you're gonna ask about is a toothpick? That's crazy. When you're in the public eye and you do something, people notice.

I also vaguely remember someone saying that Benson keeps the pick in his mouth for so long it's mostly soggy and not of any real danger to anybody, but it is still a very stupid thing to do in a fight for both competitors. And also against the rules.

I'm totally in favor of Benson doing it though. If he's not going to take PEDs and do cocaine like the other bad boys he can at least bring a toothpick into the cage every match.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I mean, the UFC is making lovely vine jokes about it, so I think it's safe to say everybody knows and no one cares.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bubba Smith posted:

I also vaguely remember someone saying that Benson keeps the pick in his mouth for so long it's mostly soggy and not of any real danger to anybody, but it is still a very stupid thing to do in a fight for both competitors. And also against the rules.

At one point in the fight, he takes a jab on the mouth and then checks his lip/cheek a couple times while backing away. I was pretty sure then that it was the toothpick, and wasn't surprised when it came out at the end of the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's not a toothpick; it's a piece of the true cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I really thought Thatch had some opportunities to open up with some Muay Thai, Ben Saunders style, in the third and fourth and catch some big knees on Bendo. Maybe even clinch him up. His build would totally allow it. I just don't know how much he was avoiding the takedown at all costs. I like Thatch and want to see where he goes from here.

• Locked thread