Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
I can do all things through christ wrestling
drat Bendo calling out Rory is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
did he just call Rory out for being a Catholic? lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

squarerandom posted:

Isn't Bendo only fighting with a weeks notice or something? And Hatch hit him quite a bit with kicks to the body in round 1/2.
"smooth" benson henderson is one of the best fighters on the planet.

thatch isn't terrible but he and benson are on completely different levels talent-wise

cams
Mar 28, 2003

holy poo poo bendo/rory is genius

benson starting to play the game like a champ.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

thatch better by himself a giant gi and get rolling

Yeah he was gassed but ben was still clearly levels beyond him on the ground

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
ahahahahahahaha bendo called out rory

i think that would be real bad for him, but i thought this fight would be real bad for him too

bendo is the new cerrone

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lots of decisions and commercials.

I see. I was actually out for dinner and was concerned I'd miss the fight but fortunately it started at what.. 1AM? Just doesn't seem the wisest programming but what do I know.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Maaan Thatch's eyes are hosed up. Didn't realize how hard those shots in the third were.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

EvanSchenck posted:

Man 155 must be harsh as poo poo, Bendo just murdered the poo poo out of this welterweight

e: jesus his face looks like he got tenderized or he was in a car accident or some poo poo

155 is such a shark tank that Bendo just called out a top 5 welterweight to hopefully get another win and jump back into the lightweight picture.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
I hope Thatch stays healthy, there's a bunch of fun fights for him at 170

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I think he kissed his girlfriend with the toothpick still in his goddamn mouth

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

btw how loving hard does rda hit?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bendo is and always has been real cool, sad some people forgot that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Vitamin Boss posted:

I hope Thatch stays healthy, there's a bunch of fun fights for him at 170

thatch vs. matt brown or thiago alves

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Dos Anjos hit him with a flying knee before the punch that ended the fight so Bendo was already hurt.

Edit: here it is http://giant.gfycat.com/DaringRealisticAnglerfish.gif

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Well done Benson. You fought a smart fight and actually weren't boring.

Thatch is good though and I think fighting an extemely experienced, durable guy with cardio for days was always going to be harder than the size difference alluded to

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Dos Anjos hit him with a flying knee before the punch that ended the fight so Bendo was already hurt.

Edit: here it is http://giant.gfycat.com/DaringRealisticAnglerfish.gif

in this fight bendo was constantly moving away and aside from the few times thatch had bendo stuck against the fence, he could never really sit down on any punches. Some of his kicks looked pretty good, and if any actually landed flush bendo would've been done.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thatch vs Erick Silva in a 7-minute, one round fight where both are given a shot of adrenaline at the Dude Wipes official checkpoint. Make this happen, Dana.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

1st AD posted:

thatch vs. matt brown or thiago alves

also Condit if he ever comes back. Has there been any word on his recovery?

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

Bendo is and always has been real cool, sad some people forgot that.
It's probably because of the lack of finishes in recent years, but I've always thought his lightweight run was pretty entertaining. The Gilbert, Miller, Bocek, Guida, and Edgar fights were all pretty entertaining. A finish isn't necessarily an indicator of a quality fight. See Mir vs. Cro cop.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
People called me stupid for saying I thought Bendo deserved to be the favorite. That went just like the Khabilov fight, right down the the 4th round RNC finish. I love Bendo's boxing and I'm glad he's back to punching people and away from push kicking thighs. Too bad he doesn't seem to have much power. If he did he'd be unstoppable and those close decisions when he was champion would have looked a lot different.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Let's be real, it is an awesome surprise that Benson won in that fashion. This fight proves that speed is still just as valuable a skill as size or strength and technique. Thatch knew exactly how to kill Benson, he just couldn't catch him.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

1st AD posted:

that finishing sequence was crazy, thatch just tried to pull forward but left his chin out there and bendo just snatched the drat neck immediately

It was brilliant by Bendo. He had Thatch in a straight jacket and to get enough leverage in his back to pull forward it's natural to lift your chin up. The whole sequence was a plan imo.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:lol: at Cerrone smiling like a goon at the end of the fight. I really want to see him fight at WW later on.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Benson is still a champion in my heart

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Did Benson look any bigger at all at 170? He seemed exactly the same size to me.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Charles Gnarwin posted:

155 is such a shark tank that Bendo just called out the welterweight number 1 contender to hopefully get another win and jump back into the lightweight picture.

FTFY

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
WEC FOAVAR

bit late but that's what i want to say

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

People called me stupid for saying I thought Bendo deserved to be the favorite. That went just like the Khabilov fight, right down the the 4th round RNC finish. I love Bendo's boxing and I'm glad he's back to punching people and away from push kicking thighs. Too bad he doesn't seem to have much power. If he did he'd be unstoppable and those close decisions when he was champion would have looked a lot different.
I think he'd be better off sticking to his grappling heavy style where he would put people on the cage and then beat the poo poo out of them, like what he did to Guida and Bocek. In his most recent fights, (Dos Anjos and Pettis) he seemed pretty content to strike with them, and unfortunately he isn't very good at sticking to one style. He does much better when he's mixing things up, which I think is where he gets his nickname ie "smooth" (because he can transition from one style of fighting to another with ease)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MacDougall posted:

It was brilliant by Bendo. He had Thatch in a straight jacket and to get enough leverage in his back to pull forward it's natural to lift your chin up. The whole sequence was a plan imo.

yeah i get the feeling that he switched from the body triangle to 2 hooks in (or allowed thatch to peel the legs apart) so that exact thing could happen

origami posted:

Did Benson look any bigger at all at 170? He seemed exactly the same size to me.

he fought weeks ago. he's not gaining any weight.

but I think he hovers around 170 normally all year anyways

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MacDougall posted:

Bendo was clearly fighting the entire fight with a nice strategy. He worked the body hard in the first two rounds without much threat of a takedown because Thatch was too big to get down while fresh. In the third, Thatch started to tire and Bendo got his back. The hand fighting was preventing a real submission attempt, but I think it was a part of the strategy to just ride the back for a round and really wear on Thatch's cardio. And it all paid dividends in the end when the takedown came so easily and Thatch seemed too tired to put up anything beyond basic grappling defense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

origami posted:

He fought a few weeks ago at 155 so he wouldn't be any bigger really. He just didn't have to cut. Given a full camp he would certainly have been larger.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

origami posted:

well he fought at 155 less then a month ago, not really time to bulk up

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

tesilential posted:

Let's be real, it is an awesome surprise that Benson won in that fashion. This fight proves that speed is still just as valuable a skill as size or strength and technique. Thatch knew exactly how to kill Benson, he just couldn't catch him.

no, not really.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Condit vs Bendo needs to happen

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

-Atom- posted:

no, not really.

shut up

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

tesilential posted:

Let's be real, it is an awesome surprise that Benson won in that fashion.

How did you expect Benson to win??

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

tesilential posted:

umm,

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

JuanGoat posted:

It's probably because of the lack of finishes in recent years, but I've always thought his lightweight run was pretty entertaining. The Gilbert, Miller, Bocek, Guida, and Edgar fights were all pretty entertaining. A finish isn't necessarily an indicator of a quality fight. See Mir vs. Cro cop.

I didn't like bendo because in a lot of his fights he seemed to dial down on the offense and fight much safer. tonight he was clearly experiencing adversity and took tons of risks trying to close the distance on thatch, and as a result the fight owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
honestly, even though thatch lost i think his stock went up a lot
he had no experience against high level fighters and if he just came out and cold cocked bendo in 30 seconds we would still be asking the same questions we did before this
thatch showed he can hang with a former champion, win a round or two and not gas
he's got a bright future ahead of him

• Locked thread