Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whatever, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Twiddy posted:

Just wanted to pipe in with some dumb astrophysics poo poo and Sol is already in a binary system with Jupiter.

Despite 2010's story, neither Jupiter isn't massive enough to fuse, so it doesn't quite count as a binary. But like biology, distinctions between astrophysical objects tend to be ambiguous.

But the body discovered in the oort by the magical girls might be enough. It's not Tyche, because Tyche's hypothetical size wouldn't be large enough to fuse, and it's only the same volume as Jupiter. Even something several times the volume of Jupiter would not have the mass to sustain nuclear fusion.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Phobophilia posted:

Despite 2010's story, neither Jupiter isn't massive enough to fuse, so it doesn't quite count as a binary. But like biology, distinctions between astrophysical objects tend to be ambiguous.

But the body discovered in the oort by the magical girls might be enough. It's not Tyche, because Tyche's hypothetical size wouldn't be large enough to fuse, and it's only the same volume as Jupiter. Even something several times the volume of Jupiter would not have the mass to sustain nuclear fusion.
Jupiter isn't massive enough to fuse, but it is massive enough to put the center of mass between Jupiter and Sol outside of Sol's volume. This by definition makes it kind of a binary system, but because of various obnoxious things about the definition such as binary systems seeming to need both bodies to be the same classification.

Basically, it depends on if you consider "binary system" from the perspective of what constitutes a binary system in astrophysics classifications or if you just strictly look at the definition of what a binary system is and ask if that's happening.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

A binary system needs 2 stars. Jupiter isn't a star. this isn't a binary system, regardless of where the centre of mass between Sol and Jupiter lies.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Phobophilia posted:

When you say that Brown dwarfs need to be several times as large a Jupiter, do you refer to the wikipedia article?

quote:

most brown dwarfs are only slightly larger than Jupiter (1015%) but up to 75 times heavier due to greater density.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mass is really the important thing, not volume. Brown dwarfs have heavier elements like lithium, while Jupiter is almost entirely hydrogen and helium.

You need something like 13 Jupiter masses to fuse, IIRC.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

ADTRW: Astrophysics Discussions To Replace Women

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

astrophysics and women have one thing in common: mass is really the important thing, not volume

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hey, I'm learning!

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

A binary system needs 2 stars. Jupiter isn't a star. this isn't a binary system, regardless of where the centre of mass between Sol and Jupiter lies.
You can also have a binary system with two dwarf planets (see: Pluto) under some definitions.

Don't question me motherfucker I am a highly educated person.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Anime Astrophysicist Girl is my fetish

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

New season thread is up:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723060

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tesagure episode 11 is hilarious. They redubbed scenes from previous episodes with voice acting instructions like: talk like an old woman without teeth, talk ultra sexy, shout everything, sob uncontrollably, talk with your mouth open all the time.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Tesagure episode 11 is hilarious. They redubbed scenes from previous episodes with voice acting instructions like: talk like an old woman without teeth, talk ultra sexy, shout everything, sob uncontrollably, talk with your mouth open all the time.

Now that is almost done you should do a thread for this fine show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I keep meaning to watch Tesagure

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Plastic Memories:

So that subplot about kidnapped androids and them having superpowers?
Or the company not being fond of that subsection?

Forget it, have some lukewarm romance with constant reminders that the heroine will die.
Also, a non-cliffhanger after the last credits.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Plastic Memories:

So that subplot about kidnapped androids and them having superpowers?
Or the company not being fond of that subsection?

Forget it, have some lukewarm romance with constant reminders that the heroine will die.
Also, a non-cliffhanger after the last credits.

I did think, reading the premise, that Plastic Memories was a show that really needed to identify what the gently caress it's about and what it wanted to say, and stick to it. Seems like it has unfortunately failed, then.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fangz posted:

I did think, reading the premise, that Plastic Memories was a show that really needed to identify what the gently caress it's about and what it wanted to say, and stick to it. Seems like it has unfortunately failed, then.

The only message I got was that memories are important, whether they are happy or sad, and being afraid of sad memories also leads to missing alot of the happy ones.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm glad I dropped Plastic Memories. But it could have been at least watchable... Disappointing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad I dropped it because I don't really want to watch another dying girlfriend show this year.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Plastic Memories:
At least they actually let her "die" and didn't pull some kind of "her memories came back because THE POWER OF LOVE". That would've just been insulting to all the other pairs that clearly didn't love each other enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm glad I dropped Plastic Memories. But it could have been at least watchable... Disappointing.

I gave the show a go and dropped it like three episodes in when it started getting reaaal creepy about them living together.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I gave the show a go and dropped it like three episodes in when it started getting reaaal creepy about them living together.

It's like the writers for Plastic Memories had a great idea for a beginning and an end, but had no clue how anything else in a story works.

Reminds me of Air in a way, but that show really layed on the feels at the end.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I think the writer(s) came up with a fairly good story about dealing with the terminal illness of a loved one, and then had to dump a truck load of anime on it to get it to market. I could feel that marketing department going

"This is good, but she is going to need a to be a loli or we are not going to meat our numbers." "Office work is boring, find something more interesting and maybe scifi for them to be doing." "This is really good, the general office worker stereotypes are going to sell well, but none of them are a 14 year old tsundere girl, or an impossible intelligent and wise 8 year old boy. You need to fix that. Also make one of them an android, in fact insure that 50% of the cast are androids. Androids are in vogue right now".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, I'm preeetty sure there's a Shinji/Rei AU writer out there seething in impotent rage that copyright doesn't work for fanfic.

Seriously, that whole show was lifted straight from FF.net's Evangelion section.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ty for your encyclopaedic knowledge of fanfiction.net

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In summary, Hibike Euphonium is anime of the season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

ty for your encyclopaedic knowledge of fanfiction.net

I live to serve.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fangz posted:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Fangz posted:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Boob ribbon was better.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

kater posted:

Boob ribbon was better.

https://hestia.dance is extremely good but that's all I know about the show

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
danmachi is trash

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Phobophilia posted:

danmachi is trash

Yeah, but it is entertaining which is more than can be said about that snafu show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I stopped watching every single show I started this season and just watched Akagi and Kaiji instead. I'll probably watch OreMono at some point but that's the only show that stands out, weakest season I can remember in a while.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what did u watch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBB, Ore Mono, Punchline and Sound Euphonium. I dropped BBB and Punchline after 2 weeks and have a few episodes left in Euphonium. Fell off with Ore Mono after about 9 episodes

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
the only thing i stuck with this season was danmachi because i'm trash, but i'm going to finish up oremonogatari and punchline and then probably also watch the tuba show since people are saying it's good.

i gave up on BBB but i'll probably get the manga at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's not a tuba show

it's a euphonium show

• Locked thread