Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Just want some clarification after googling around; for Fire Emblem Fates, it's not necessary to buy both Conquest and Birthright, correct? If one is bought and played, there comes an option to buy the other game through a discounted dlc price?

Correct. You don't need to beat the game first to buy and play the other campaigns. Whichever version you pick, early on, it gives you the same three choices. Stay with Hoshido (Birthright), go to Norh (Conquest) or choose neither (Revelations). If you want to choose one of the two paths that isn't the title you bought, it brings up the eShop and lets you buy the path for $20.

Revelations didn't get it's own boxed copy, unless you got the limited edition with all three paths on one cart back whenever the game launched. (Last I checked, it was going for $300+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ryuga Death posted:

Just want some clarification after googling around; for Fire Emblem Fates, it's not necessary to buy both Conquest and Birthright, correct? If one is bought and played, there comes an option to buy the other game through a discounted dlc price?

Yes. But ignore Revelations as it is horrible.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

daermon posted:

Yes. But ignore Revelations as it is horrible.

Thank you. I’ve beaten Birthright, I’m almost finished with Conquest, and have been almost dreading a third go but figured I might as well do Revelations. You saved me twenty hours or so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Play Fire Emblem Echoes next. It's a really great remake. Has some old school design. But it's a good time. And has a story better than any of the Fates branches.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I bounced off Fates hard halfway through because there were maps with summoners that doubled or tripled the number of enemies you would fight and it slowed battles down to a sloggg

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Fates is legitimately one of my favorite games of the past 5 years, but I still regret buying Rev. The gameplay is tedious and unfun from start to finish.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shadow225 posted:

I bounced off Fates hard halfway through because there were maps with summoners that doubled or tripled the number of enemies you would fight and it slowed battles down to a sloggg

That sounds like Echoes. I can't think of any summoned enemy gimmicks outside of things like the Eternal Stairway.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah sorry meant Echoes. My point doesn't make sense if I am talking about the wrong game!!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

daermon posted:

That sounds like Echoes. I can't think of any summoned enemy gimmicks outside of things like the Eternal Stairway.

Yeah, I was loving Echoes but burned out in my playthrough because of this approach to encounter design.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Here is a summoner on a mountain that sends flying demons at you.

Now do that again except instead of a mountain it's a 2 lane bridge

Now do that again but this time it's a posiom swamp

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone got hot tips for Etrian Mystery Dungeon? It's my first mystery dungeon game and it feels really cool but hard!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

EMD was weird, and I dunno if I'd play it as my first MD game. Mystery Dungeon is a series that took me a while to get into. I tried EMD and one of the PMD games and didn't get it. It finally clicked when I played Shiren The Wanderer. I'd highly recommend the DS port.

I should try EMD again though.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I played EMD as my first mystery dungeon and bounced off it pretty hard. I remember it being fun at first then got absolutely thrashed by the first boss.

I tried to built my team up again after dying then got wrecked by the boss again and gave up. I think I got the PMD on sale at some point and should give that a try since it is probably easier.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
pmd is easier but it's still pretty punishing. silver wind will gently caress you upppppppp. load up on long range line attacks

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shadow225 posted:

Here is a summoner on a mountain that sends flying demons at you.

Now do that again except instead of a mountain it's a 2 lane bridge

Now do that again but this time it's a posiom swamp

The only things that truly got updated in Echoes were the graphics, story and characterization. It's still a good game but if they had actually improved the maps and the AI it could have been much better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I really thought they would do some revamping on the maps given how much love they gave everything else but nope, 3 hours in I was clearly playing an NES game.

Shame too, I was hyped due to the slick presentation but it didn't seem worth sinking any more time into

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I've been playing Metroid: Samus Returns and really enjoying it.
Some of the aiming is awkward but it's still a solid game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LemonLimeSoda posted:

That’s on my ‘must buy before they shut this thing down’ list.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Yeah, I think I preferred the fan remake since it felt more like a "Zero Mission 2", but Samus Returns was still a good time

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I'd like to play Zero Mission and the fan remake but not quite sure where to go
I'll have to do some research
After Metroid, I'm going to tackle the Mario and Luigi games starting with Dream Team

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You should start with Superstar Saga if you’re gonna play M&L for the first time. Play them in order. There’s a remake of it and the 3rd game, Bowser’s Inside Story on Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You mean 3DS.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've sampled a lot of games lately, so let me briefly talk about them.

Picross e - This is my first experience with Picross. It's a crossword but with pictures kind of, hence the name. Turns out I really like it! I don't understand some layouts but for the most part it is relaxing.

Pocket Card Jockey - Basically a string of mini solitaire ish games themed like a Jockey race. I was NOT expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. It's a little too wordy between races but it's nice to chill with.

SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked - SRPG where the battles are mini JRPG fights with the SMT/Persona demon fusion. I really like the setting (Persona 5 is my only other brush with the series), but the SRPG elements leave a lot to be desired. Will probably try to push through because the plot intrigues me.

Mario Golf World Tour - I think that more than any other sport, golf lends itself to video games well. This is a great short burst arcadey spin on it, and I really want one for Switch now.

Kirby Triple Deluxe - Okay, so I love the character of Kirby. But I'm having to question if I think the games are good? Like, they are so easy you can sleepwalk through them. It is charming, and it has a place to detox the mind. But I wonder if it's too easy?

Super Monkey Ball 3D - platformer where you move the stage rather than the character. It's nice in bursts, but kind of lacks charm if that makes sense?

Etrian Mystery Dungeon - posted about this earlier. It's a turn based rogue like dungeon crawl. You can take a team of 4 characters and Jam. One of my common complaints with JRPGs is that support classes often feel useless outside of boss fights because you aren't given a good and fun reason to divert from pure DPS, and often discouraged from pure DPS because Mana is a concern. This game still has Mana, but it makes support feel useful. Which I appreciate! Maybe a little difficult, but I'm having fun with it. I picked up the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for Switch, so will try to spend time with that if I ever finish 3 Houses and Xenoblade 1.

Thanks for reading!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

I've sampled a lot of games lately, so let me briefly talk about them.

Picross e - This is my first experience with Picross. It's a crossword but with pictures kind of, hence the name. Turns out I really like it! I don't understand some layouts but for the most part it is relaxing.

Kirby Triple Deluxe - Okay, so I love the character of Kirby. But I'm having to question if I think the games are good? Like, they are so easy you can sleepwalk through them. It is charming, and it has a place to detox the mind. But I wonder if it's too easy?

I can only speak for those two, but if you enjoyed Picross you need to try Picross 3D (there's 2) which is exclusive to the 3DS. They're excellent and while I enjoy Picross it's not a must play for me in the way the 3D ones are. They're a fun package with fun little blurbs of text, animation, and great music, things that I feel Picross doesn't always have.

And yeah Kirby is easy, but it is super chill. Robobot is definitely the best one on the 3DS, just because it's very creative, and while it's not harder, it makes for a more engaging adventure. I avoided the newest game on Switch until recently and fell in love because of how charming it is, and frankly sometimes you just want to steamroll some enemies.

Kirby also used to do side-games really well, I really liked Canvas Curse and Mass Attack on the DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any way to take 3DS screenshots now Miiverse is Dead? I can take one of the bottom screen but that it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If your 3DS is hacked you can take screenshots anywhere via the Luma3DS menu.

otherwise no afaik

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Kirby also used to do side-games really well, I really liked Canvas Curse and Mass Attack on the DS.

I second this. I enjoy these two games much more than most traditional Kirby games, but I was also the loser who got bored with Robobot even though it has everything you could want in a Kirby game. The mech is cool but wasn't really enough of a gameplay gimmick to keep me in it like Canvas Curse or Mass Attack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kirby is a really neat franchise because they reliably rotate from traditional sidescrolling Kirby to experimental Kirby game. I'm hoping they're working on something new and experimental on Switch right now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kirby is a really neat franchise because they reliably rotate from traditional sidescrolling Kirby to experimental Kirby game. I'm hoping they're working on something new and experimental on Switch right now.

Or at the very least a revisit to one of those other games like Air Ride, I only spent a night with the game but it was a blast.

I fear the Kirby Clash games/Free to Play stuff is the latest "experimental" games which really stinks. Epic Yarn also really failed to grab me, but I really haven't given it a fair shake.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rainbow Curse was such a disappointment coming from Canvas Curse

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the world is ready and would appreciate Dream Course 2 more than an Air Ride sequel.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the world is ready and would appreciate Dream Course 2 more than an Air Ride sequel.

Oh definitely. It's the best thing on the Switch SNES App.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This and Pinball Land 2 are my most wanted Kirby spinoff sequels.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

hatty posted:

Rainbow Curse was such a disappointment coming from Canvas Curse

I think the opposite, Rainbow Curse is much prettier and simpler and the music is fantastic instead of being weird staticky fare.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
My son’s 3DS has a loose charging port and won’t charge. From what I see online the popular option is soldering a new port in? gently caress that, I’m not interested in soldering poo poo.

I guess there’s some Nyko accessory that charges inductively, but it seems to be long-since sold out (plus I’m in Japan).

Is that really it for this problem? You can’t just order a $3 part from AliBaba and plug it in? He’s not touching my Galaxy 3DS because I’m not that good of a father. I am good enough to buy him a new or used one if he wants it (which is debatable because we have a Switch). It’s jail broken of course so it’s nice to have a system for him to play older Nintendo games and such.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dream Course is like Pokemon Snap, it's one of those games that got rebranded after the fact and so the main developers for each series don't really care about them the way they care about the "real" games.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fly Ricky posted:

My son’s 3DS has a loose charging port and won’t charge. From what I see online the popular option is soldering a new port in? gently caress that, I’m not interested in soldering poo poo.

I guess there’s some Nyko accessory that charges inductively, but it seems to be long-since sold out (plus I’m in Japan).

Is that really it for this problem? You can’t just order a $3 part from AliBaba and plug it in? He’s not touching my Galaxy 3DS because I’m not that good of a father. I am good enough to buy him a new or used one if he wants it (which is debatable because we have a Switch). It’s jail broken of course so it’s nice to have a system for him to play older Nintendo games and such.

If you want to just go "eh gently caress it" in the most fundamental way, you can shove in a miniusb (mini, not micro) cable and it'll maybe work.

But no generally you'd solder new 5V and ground lines in and connect them to an usb supply if you don't have a replacement port.

The other option is seeing if an usb to 3DS cable isn't shittily enough made it'll connect where the original won't.

Even the soldering answer isn't hard, just tedious.

EDIT: Comedy answer: Use a busted-up used 3DS as a battery charger and swap the battery on the kids' 3DS.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 31, 2020

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

There's a official charging dock for the 3DS (the N3DS has a different vertical one), both are a plastic cradle which hooks to the AC adapter and has two prongs that come out and charge via the copper pads on either side of the regular port.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

endlessmonotony posted:

If you want to just go "eh gently caress it" in the most fundamental way, you can shove in a miniusb (mini, not micro) cable and it'll maybe work.

But no generally you'd solder new 5V and ground lines in and connect them to an usb supply if you don't have a replacement port.

The other option is seeing if an usb to 3DS cable isn't shittily enough made it'll connect where the original won't.

Even the soldering answer isn't hard, just tedious.

EDIT: Comedy answer: Use a busted-up used 3DS as a battery charger and swap the battery on the kids' 3DS.

C.M. Kruger posted:

There's a official charging dock for the 3DS (the N3DS has a different vertical one), both are a plastic cradle which hooks to the AC adapter and has two prongs that come out and charge via the copper pads on either side of the regular port.

Thanks for the ideas. I’ll the USB options, and see if I can find a dock it they don’t work.

I actually considered just swapping batteries back and forth between the Galaxy and his to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have one of those chargers. They're relatively cheap and work just fine.