Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's zero risk of getting a bootleg 3DS cart. I'm guessing that it getting cracked for CFW also killed any incentive for people to make them.

Yoshi's New Island is extremely mediocre. Get Wooly World instead.

I’ve got Wooly World and it’s great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

Have to admit, I'm thinking of picking up a spare battery, charger, and system now. Ha.

It's why I just grabbed a 3DS XL (red) from the site. I'll grab another charger and battery in a minute too. Especially now that it looks like with even a mac I can get this thing home-brewed :) I have the 3ds new (with face plates) that's frankly a little small for my big hands, and a 2ds (which is also small but better ergonomics) but I figure... why not be prepared? And if I can get all those old GBA games installed on it, plus my massive catalogue of 3ds games, I'll really be set.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PlushCow posted:

The batteries for my GBAsp and orig fat DS still work fine but it was one reason why I got the refurb 3dsxl instead of the 2dsxl, just in case.

Still lots of games on sale on the eshop. I picked up 3d sonic 2, recommended in this thread, and it’s nice 3D, they did a good job.

All the Sega M2 ports have great 3D. I recommend all of them.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

PlushCow posted:

The batteries for my GBAsp and orig fat DS still work fine but it was one reason why I got the refurb 3dsxl instead of the 2dsxl, just in case.

Still lots of games on sale on the eshop. I picked up 3d sonic 2, recommended in this thread, and it’s nice 3D, they did a good job.

drat, if I had known the 2DS xl had all these issues, I would have gone for the 3DS instead. Well, too late now.

Does the the 3DS line of systems still have the limited number of software/account transfers like it originally did, or did they do away with that when they changed the Nintendo Account stuff?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can only do it once a week system to system and once a year over the phone. I think those are the only limitations

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Silver Snail posted:

Does the the 3DS line of systems still have the limited number of software/account transfers like it originally did, or did they do away with that when they changed the Nintendo Account stuff?
So here's what you do: homebrew all your 3DSes, but designate one as your "official" one that you still use for eShop purposes. Download all your games onto it, then go into GodMode9 and dump them to .cias, which you then install on all your other 3DSes.

This also gives you a backup of all your games you can install on any other homebrewed 3DS in the eventual future when the eShop goes away and it's no longer possible to do an official system transfer.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Downloaded the demo for Picross 3D Round 2 and the concept is a lot more understandable and fun than expected. Glad there's a 30% platinum coupon for it in the My Nintendo section. Also discovered that there's a huge library of picross games for the DS line.

Are these legit copies of Picross DS and Picross 3D?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Picross-DS-Nintendo-DS-2007-Complete-and-Tested/254701778488

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Picross-3D-Nintendo-DS-2010-CIB/133530256265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They look legit according to the pictures posted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, those are legit. Keep in mind, you really only gotta worry about it for stuff that's gonna be rare or the mega popular franchises. Nobody was bootlegging Picross.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, those are legit. Keep in mind, you really only gotta worry about it for stuff that's gonna be rare or the mega popular franchises. Nobody was bootlegging Picross.

I assume all those brand new and sealed copies of Phantom Hourglass on ebay are definitely on the bootleg side. Ha.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got a bootleg Last Window from Amazon :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

I got a bootleg Last Window from Amazon :saddowns:

Last Window's a semi-rare game because it only had an EU English release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp, four years after I bought it at launch I finally beat Pokemon Sun. Overall I liked it and the QoL improvements they made to the series, but man does it seem like they ran out of ideas near the end of the game. I did start a little of the post game but since the part I like least about pokemon games is chasing down legendaries I think imma move on to Sword since I've been jonesing to get into that one.

My next trick for 3DS is to dust off my circle pad pro and see if I can cope better using it to control Kid Icarus.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How DS games look in the New 2DS XL? I've seen some people say they look bad even if you use the start/select stuff while booting but not sure

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mystic Stylez posted:

How DS games look in the New 2DS XL? I've seen some people say they look bad even if you use the start/select stuff while booting but not sure

They don’t look bad. They scale a bit oddly but certainly fine still.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

In the default full screen mode they look pretty soft but I don't mind it. 1:1 pixel mode looks perfectly fine to me but I prefer the default mode anyway.

This video has a good look at how it looks compared to a DSi XL, so you can see if you think stuff like this bothers you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMXEeSdRw8k&t=136s
(2:16 - 6:10)

Zat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 5, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You had to go and post that. The lines aren't real noticable in motion, but now I know they're there and I can't unsee them. :argh:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1315669916893159424?s=20

Pretty good deal for e-shop funds if you wanted to pick up some 3ds digital titles or dlc.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1315669916893159424?s=20

Pretty good deal for e-shop funds if you wanted to pick up some 3ds digital titles or dlc.

There’s a guy in SAmart that gives bigger discounts off eShop and other game store cards.

This guy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904328&perpage=40&noseen=1

I’ve purchased codes from him 3 times with no trouble.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe I'm bad at math here but $100 for $90 in your link seems less good than $100 for $75

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the Amazon deal only if you use an Amazon credit card to buy it or something?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Is the Amazon deal only if you use an Amazon credit card to buy it or something?

Yeah.

quote:

Terms & Conditions

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card: Offer good during promotional periods only and while supplies last. Get additional rewards on eligible purchases shipped and sold by Amazon.com made using your Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card, excluding purchases made through Subscribe and Save, Installments, Prime Wardrobe, and Amazon Fresh. The amount listed in the promotional offer includes the 5% Back you already earn on Amazon.com purchases with your Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card, and the extra % Back you can earn with this promotion. This promotional offer only applies to the portion of net qualifying purchases (purchases less returns and other credits) of eligible items paid for with your Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card at Amazon.com. The extra % Back will post to your account within a week of the transaction posting, and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement and be available for use within 1-2 billing cycles. To qualify for this promotional offer, your account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time. For more information about your rewards program, see your Rewards Program Agreement.

Amazon Prime Store Card: Limited time offer while supplies last and subject to credit approval. Get additional rewards on eligible purchases made using your Amazon Prime Store Card, excluding purchases made through Subscribe and Save, Installments, Prime Wardrobe, and Amazon Fresh. The percent back amount stated in the promotional offer includes the 5% back you already earn on Amazon.com purchases with your Amazon Prime Store Card, and the extra percent back you can earn with this promotion. Offer only applies to the portion of net qualifying purchases (purchases less returns and other credits) of eligible items paid for with an Amazon Prime Store Card at Amazon.com. Any portion paid using another payment form (including, but not limited to, gift cards and rewards points) may not receive the percentage back bonus. Offer may not be combined with any Special Financing or Equal Pay offers. Offer does not apply to shipping charges, taxes or other fees associated with the purchase of an eligible product. Please allow up to two billing cycles (a) for your earned rewards points to be credited to your Amazon.com Store Card or Amazon Prime Store Card account and (b) if you elect to redeem your rewards points as a statement credit, for such statement credit to be applied to your Amazon.com Store Card or Amazon Prime Store Card account. Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold. If any products related to the offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product, subject to applicable refund policies. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
About four or more years ago, I broke the thumb stick off my 3ds, lost it, and mostly forgot about the system except to briefly try out the then-new Smash Bros DLC characters. At least a year or two later I found the stick, and then promptly lost it again.

Now I found it again! And I’m realizing that it’ll take more than just a drop of super glue to fix it, so it’s kind of bittersweet.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Picross is a lot of fun. Glad there's so many Picross games to pick from.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:Ausgoons:siren:

Big W looks to be purging the last of their 3DS game stock, with a bunch of major Nintendo-brand titles down to $10-20$AUD

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Decided to turn my 3DS on for the first time in a month and discovered that Steamworld Dig, Dig 2, and Heist are all mad discounted on the eShop right now, if you haven't played them already. I had Dig 2 wishlisted for a while so it was a nice surprise to see.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Question: I bought a New XL off ebay for relatively cheap, do I need a screen protector for the top screen or is the screen bumping poo poo not gonna happen because of the stoppers?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think that was only a problem with the original 3DS

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nah I got little speck marks on the top of TWO of my N3ds XL screens from the borders of the lower screen. They never fixed it lol.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They mitigated it a ton. I'd recommend a screen protector. They're cheap.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'll probably get a tempered glass one for the top just in case. Did it on my Switch twice (steamed the bathroom) and it wasn't hard, plus less screen area means I don't have to concern myself too much with finding dust.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 27, 2020

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Sticker Star any good?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've only heard negative things but this is secondhand. if you're gonna get a deal on it used then it's probably fine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Sticker Star any good?

It's easily the worst of the Paper Mario games but I still think its worth playing. Get it cheap though.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The Y button on my New 3DS XL is intermittently not working. Is this an issue I could feasibly repair myself by futzing around in there, or do I need to suck it up and send it in to Nintendo?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spoderman posted:

The Y button on my New 3DS XL is intermittently not working. Is this an issue I could feasibly repair myself by futzing around in there, or do I need to suck it up and send it in to Nintendo?

You probably could fix it yourself. Could just require a simple cleaning. There’s plenty of repair tutorials for 3DS online so give it a shot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spoderman posted:

Usually pretty easy, but the dismantling is a chore.

You need, uh, isopropyl wipes, canned air, the right screwdrivers (did the New 3DS use triwing?) and basic understanding of not being a total idiot.

Clean the shoulder buttons with canned air while you're at it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

New 3DS uses #0 Phillips I think. That's what I used to replace the battery on mine.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Walla posted:

New 3DS uses #0 Phillips I think. That's what I used to replace the battery on mine.

Battery is designed to be user replaceable, those are always PH00.

Getting deeper used to require a triwing but according to short googling not anymore.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks, all. I think I’ll give it a shot myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Guess goons will keep practicing screwing.