Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I really like the iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit for opening up electronics without being a total idiot about it. My only complaints is that it lacks the smaller Torx sizes (T2 needed for Japanese PSPs) and the only tri-wing bit includes (Y000) is smaller than what Nintendo uses in their devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I really like the iFixit Essential Electronics Toolkit for opening up electronics without being a total idiot about it. My only complaints is that it lacks the smaller Torx sizes (T2 needed for Japanese PSPs) and the only tri-wing bit includes (Y000) is smaller than what Nintendo uses in their devices.

tbh I got both this and later their bigger kit and ended up swapping a couple of the bits (and the better quality metal screwdriver) from the big kit into the small kit and haven't needed to touch another set for any electronics repairs again since

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Yikes. I must have broken something else in the process of trying to fix it, because now I can’t open any games or applications, the system menu is always scrolling left, and pressing the ZL button makes the screen turn black. And the Y button is still doing the same thing.

I’ve ordered a refurbished 2DS XL as a replacement, I just hope I can get my original in enough of a working state to do a system transfer. Is it possible to transfer a homebrewed 3DS without doing an official system transfer?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spoderman posted:

Yikes. I must have broken something else in the process of trying to fix it, because now I can’t open any games or applications, the system menu is always scrolling left, and pressing the ZL button makes the screen turn black. And the Y button is still doing the same thing.

I’ve ordered a refurbished 2DS XL as a replacement, I just hope I can get my original in enough of a working state to do a system transfer. Is it possible to transfer a homebrewed 3DS without doing an official system transfer?

You got custom firmware?

Because that sounds like a SD card read failure.

As well as the stick being stuck.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

You got custom firmware?

Because that sounds like a SD card read failure.

As well as the stick being stuck.

If that were the case, wouldn’t I still be able to launch system settings or a DS cartridge?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I had a dead CFW SD card and it wouldn't even boot when it was in. Worked just fine when I took it out.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Still getting the same results even without the SD card. Screen goes black right after booting and then the home menu opens up like normal. Launching anything from the menu just sends the device into what seems to be sleep mode—dimmed power light and black screen. Tried launching it without the shoulder button ribbon cable plugged in as well—all the same. Is there a way to prevent the system from entering sleep mode?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spoderman posted:

Still getting the same results even without the SD card. Screen goes black right after booting and then the home menu opens up like normal. Launching anything from the menu just sends the device into what seems to be sleep mode—dimmed power light and black screen. Tried launching it without the shoulder button ribbon cable plugged in as well—all the same. Is there a way to prevent the system from entering sleep mode?

Hm, now that I think of it.

The thing has a magnet aligned in the screen - it's near the Y button on the lower case - that makes it enter sleep mode.

But no I'd just check your SD card works, because it might be launching into the safe mode.

I just checked - a 3DS cart won't launch, a DS cart will with my CFW'd system without its SD card.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
But yeah now this is sounding like a short on the mobo or liquid damage.

I think the backups are just doable off the SD card's contents?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah, just to be clear - there's magnets under the B button, roughly. If you managed to gently caress with them, the system's reaction would be... exactly as you described.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hm. I wonder if the y button and the lid sensor share a ZIF.

The magnet is in the lid, the sensor is in the buttons, mind you. You could just try seeing how the system reacts to a magnet I guess. But yeah, probably that sensor got reassembled a bit wrong. Or the ZIF cable is loose / broken. It's an okay but not great replacement if it's the ZIF cable.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Will romhacks inject? Typically I play them on an emulator, but I have a couple that are worth replaying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Walla posted:

Will romhacks inject? Typically I play them on an emulator, but I have a couple that are worth replaying.

It depends but usually yes.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

But yeah now this is sounding like a short on the mobo or liquid damage.

I think the backups are just doable off the SD card's contents?

Thanks for your help! After fiddling around some more, it's seeming like some kinda motherboard damage more than anything else. I'm able to launch most programs that aren't an actual system title --Luma/Godmode9, FBI, Quake, SNES9X, thankfully JKSM and Checkpoint-- but system settings, any games, even game manuals and recovery mode just go straight into sleep mode. And if I put the system to sleep the normal way during any of the things that DO work, it never wakes back up until I force a shutdown.

So at this point, my plan is to do a Nintendo phone support system transfer to the new system when I get it in the mail, hack the new system, transfer all my saves over, then see if I can remove all traces of homebrew from my semi-broken 3DS without bricking it and if so, send my system in to Nintendo for a repair and pray that I didn't make such an obvious enough mess that they refuse service.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rom hacks typically inject. I've installed Mother 3 and Pokemon Prism with no issues.

I remember that the stock Pokemon GBA roms have issues injecting but you can download patched ones specifically for 3DS injection.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spoderman posted:

Thanks for your help! After fiddling around some more, it's seeming like some kinda motherboard damage more than anything else. I'm able to launch most programs that aren't an actual system title --Luma/Godmode9, FBI, Quake, SNES9X, thankfully JKSM and Checkpoint-- but system settings, any games, even game manuals and recovery mode just go straight into sleep mode. And if I put the system to sleep the normal way during any of the things that DO work, it never wakes back up until I force a shutdown.

So at this point, my plan is to do a Nintendo phone support system transfer to the new system when I get it in the mail, hack the new system, transfer all my saves over, then see if I can remove all traces of homebrew from my semi-broken 3DS without bricking it and if so, send my system in to Nintendo for a repair and pray that I didn't make such an obvious enough mess that they refuse service.

Try disconnecting the buttons ribbon cable to the sideboard and seeing if that helps map out the problem.

Uh, 3DS did have autolaunch right? You might need autolaunch since you don't have buttons.

EDIT: Specifically I'm thinking this is sideboard damage - a short in the ribbon cable if you're unlucky.

EDIT2: gently caress, you're using a magnetized screwdriver aren't you. It might be tripping the sensor now. You oughta be able to fix it with a potent enough fridge magnet over the buttons if it's that.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 9, 2020

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Try disconnecting the buttons ribbon cable to the sideboard and seeing if that helps map out the problem.

Uh, 3DS did have autolaunch right? You might need autolaunch since you don't have buttons.

EDIT: Specifically I'm thinking this is sideboard damage - a short in the ribbon cable if you're unlucky.

EDIT2: gently caress, you're using a magnetized screwdriver aren't you. It might be tripping the sensor now. You oughta be able to fix it with a potent enough fridge magnet over the buttons if it's that.

The magnet will make it go to sleep. So I think magnet issues may not be the root. The intended sleep functions all work as they should, I’m just getting a little extra.

I’ll see if disconnecting the sideboard will let me launch a system transfer with just the touchscreen tomorrow. I think that’s just about the last thing I can try within my comfort levels.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spoderman posted:

The magnet will make it go to sleep. So I think magnet issues may not be the root. The intended sleep functions all work as they should, I’m just getting a little extra.

I’ll see if disconnecting the sideboard will let me launch a system transfer with just the touchscreen tomorrow. I think that’s just about the last thing I can try within my comfort levels.

Try the magnet in the opposite polarization (upside-down) to the sleep config for a bit.

EDIT: And it might be just the abxy pad, which would be the first thing I'd try.

EDIT2: And again, to be clear - take out the abxy pad and buttons out entirely, gently disconnecting the ribbon cable to that, and see if everything else works. Don't leave it in disconnected while testing.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 10, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
One last stability patch before turning out the lights.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I beat Bowser's Inside Story a couple weeks ago and it was good but maybe too long, and the battle system dragged for a while in the middle. Some of the bro moves seem so hard when you first unlock them and then later you could almost do them with your eyes closed.

All I have left on the Must Play 3ds backlog is Metroid Samus Returns, and Majora's Mask. Dead system and all but I wish Nintendo would put some of their first party and VC games on sale, they used to for Black Friday and nothing, and nothing for the current new years sale. There's some I'd pick up but not for full price. Maybe someday I'd consider trying to figure out :filez: but with everything else vying for my time I don't want to bother.

I do want to get around to messing with Art Academy 3ds again sometime, I had trouble with it when I first got it using it on the smaller original 3ds I had, but I think it would be a lot more enjoyable on my XL.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
For Yo Kai Watch 2, is there any reason to bother with Bony Spirits or Fleshy Souls since Psychic Scepters exists?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Not at all, just keep in mind that you'll need to trade with BOTH Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls if you ever wish to 100% the game.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Spirits and Souls physical copies come with different coin collectibles if you’re collecting physical at all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wonder if I can pay someone to upgrade my 2ds xl screens to something more gorgeous/modern. Probably not because of the weird proprietary format but how cool would that be to have a 3DS/2DS in 2021 with a nice, modern gorilla glass screen. Deep darks, rich color saturation, much brigther than the stock one etc. Kind of like when you run snes emus on a modern smartphone, the picture just pops

Slap a microsd card in there for some homebrew goodness and this device would give the Swtich a good run for its money, the 3DS/DS library is really good.

one can dream I guess

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someday.

Who in 1989 would have guessed that people would be modding backlights and adding glass screens to their Gameboys thirty years later?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wouldn’t a glass screen gently caress up the touch function?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gutcruncher posted:

Wouldn’t a glass screen gently caress up the touch function?

Pretty much. They use resistive touch screens and wouldn't register input with a glass pane on top.

On the other hand, you don't have to use glass on screens to improve the image quality, but I imagine whatever people will come up with will not be a gigantic improvement. There's only so much you can do at such low res.

edit: the best approach I can think of is using a FPGA to reproduce the DS hardware and then upscale internally the output for more modern screens, maybe even modify whatever needed to make it compatible with a capacitive touch screen panel. Basically, something like the stuff Analog is doing with their Pocket FPGA system but with better hardware from the future.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh good point, I forgot about the resistive touch screen tech. Tbh I would be happy if they could simply jack up the brightness and feature a more neutral temp, my 3dses have always been slightly too warm/yellow. Mostly it's the brightness thing though even 1-2 more "notches" in the current system menu would do the trick

On another note, for homebrew'd systems is there anything to transferring microsd card content? I want to upgrade my 64gb card to a 128gb one but don't wanna bother if its gonna be more involved than copy pasting all files

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

oh good point, I forgot about the resistive touch screen tech. Tbh I would be happy if they could simply jack up the brightness and feature a more neutral temp, my 3dses have always been slightly too warm/yellow. Mostly it's the brightness thing though

On another note, for homebrew'd systems is there anything to transferring microsd card content? I want to upgrade my 64gb card to a 128gb one but don't wanna bother if its gonna be more involved than copy pasting all files

its just that. make sure the new one is formatted fat32.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
amazing, thanks for the note on the format to use! I just did the same thing on a non homebrew'd switch and was pleased at how painless it was. Glad to hear it's the same thing here even with homebrew and all

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KingSlime posted:

Wonder if I can pay someone to upgrade my 2ds xl screens to something more gorgeous/modern. Probably not because of the weird proprietary format but how cool would that be to have a 3DS/2DS in 2021 with a nice, modern gorilla glass screen. Deep darks, rich color saturation, much brigther than the stock one etc. Kind of like when you run snes emus on a modern smartphone, the picture just pops

Slap a microsd card in there for some homebrew goodness and this device would give the Swtich a good run for its money, the 3DS/DS library is really good.

one can dream I guess

Have you seen an IPS screen on a 3ds?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is it worth it to install CFW on a 3ds? I have a N3DS XL with a 32gb card but I still carry my carts with me. Outside of dumping carts onto the micro sd card (which I'd need to buy a larger card for), are there any other benefits?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it worth it to install CFW on a 3ds? I have a N3DS XL with a 32gb card but I still carry my carts with me. Outside of dumping carts onto the micro sd card (which I'd need to buy a larger card for), are there any other benefits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFGxIfDX70

This video was actually posted this morning. It will probably answer your question pretty well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Region freedom is the big one for me. Lots of US and Japan imports that never made their way here otherwise.

Oh, and cheat in-game currency on Pokemon F2P titles. Totally worth it just for that.

And very recently the Super Mario 64 3DS port. It's a beauty.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you seen an IPS screen on a 3ds?

At some point I think my new 3DS model had one I even did the testing and everything

But honestly now I'm not so sure. I'm currently rocking a 2DS XL which I believe are all TN

Saoshyant posted:

Region freedom is the big one for me. Lots of US and Japan imports that never made their way here otherwise.

Oh, and cheat in-game currency on Pokemon F2P titles. Totally worth it just for that.

And very recently the Super Mario 64 3DS port. It's a beauty.

Not to mention really cool things like replacing the dragon quest games soundtracks with proper symphony versions, I haven't even looked into what's available these days.

I do love the English patches of Japanese only games though, man people put in serious labor on this project

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh yeah, fan translations! I haven't bothered yet with Sherlock Holmes Ace Attorney and I totally have to get on that sooooooooon

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ryuga Death posted:

Screenshots and using the full CPU power to speed loading and avoid slowdown in games that tax the system.

I have been out of the loop a while but dumping your DS backlog to digital copies (which never existed before) is apparently very easy these days.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it worth it to install CFW on a 3ds?
Yes, do it yesterday.

Ryuga Death posted:

Outside of dumping carts onto the micro sd card (which I'd need to buy a larger card for), are there any other benefits?
  • Dumping saves.
  • Region free.
  • Hacks, fan translations, patches.
  • Can natively run DS and GBA titles.
  • Homebrew, emulators, etc.
Beyond all that it's just a good idea. 3DS hacking is quite sophisticated these days, and at the same time the 3DS isn't being usefully updated anymore aside from annual firmware updates to disable eShop payment methods or whatever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, fan translations! I haven't bothered yet with Sherlock Holmes Ace Attorney and I totally have to get on that sooooooooon

Grain of salt, but there was word of official English releases of those Ace Attorney games.

Edit: In the Capcom leaks

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Grain of salt, but there was word of official English releases of those Ace Attorney games.

Edit: In the Capcom leaks

Oh god what about Edgeworth 2?