Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No. :(
https://gamerant.com/ace-attorney-7-collection-leak/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
At least Edgeworth 2 has a fan translation

I need to go back and beat that at some point

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Would a 128gb micro sd card be enough to hold my games? Is installing cfw easy/idiot proof? I ask because I'm an idiot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Given that 128gb micro sd cards do not exist, that's a complex question.

Long story short, anything decent up to 32gb works, above that it may or may not - support's only for SDHC.

And 64gb would be ~enough for most things worthwhile on the system.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Would a 128gb micro sd card be enough to hold my games? Is installing cfw easy/idiot proof? I ask because I'm an idiot.

Much more than enough unless you want every game installed at once and yes, it is. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be fine.

endlessmonotony posted:

Given that 128gb micro sd cards do not exist, that's a complex question.

Long story short, anything decent up to 32gb works, above that it may or may not - support's only for SDHC.

They definitely do exist. I have a 512GB one in my Switch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Life is suffering

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

128 should fit a good portion of the 3DS library. Most games are under 1gb, I think the biggest game is like 3.5gb.

endlessmonotony posted:

128gb micro sd cards do not exist

I'm looking at one right now

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ryuga Death posted:

Depends how much stuff you have crammed in there but that's a good amount. Just format it properly-- out of the box it's going to be using an incompatible format, and your operating system will try to force a modern file scheme that's incompatible. So you'll need to fix that.

Those details and more are all explained in the guide, it's very painless these days and anything even potentially risky is noted out as such.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

They definitely do exist. I have a 512GB one in my Switch.

You do not.

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm looking at one right now

You are not.

SD cards only go up to 2GB, the 3DS supports SDHC but not SDXC and where SDXC can work if formatted right, it can also just fail based on the model's hardware design. Long story very short, look up lists of tested cards on 3DS homebrew sites/wikis.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

:rolleyes:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it worth it to install CFW on a 3ds? I have a N3DS XL with a 32gb card but I still carry my carts with me. Outside of dumping carts onto the micro sd card (which I'd need to buy a larger card for), are there any other benefits?
You can back up your save files for digital titles in case your uSD craps out, file transfer is easier over FTP than constantly removing the uSD from the N3DS's rather poorly-placed uSD reader, and a softmodded N3DS is a fairly good retro emulation portable for 8/16-bit consoles. A Vita's better, IMO, but the 3DS had a much wider user base and has the button setup for Nintendo consoles.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, fan translations! I haven't bothered yet with Sherlock Holmes Ace Attorney and I totally have to get on that sooooooooon
If you believe that Capcom gigaleak they're working on a Switch port and localizations of Great Ace Attorney, so you might want to hold off on those.

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know how many games you own, but between converted physical carts and digital titles, I own ~30 3DS games, and a 128GB uSD had plenty of room to spare.

As for how foolproof the installation process is, well, insert that saying about sufficiently talented fools, but following the right guide makes it pretty simple. And here's the right guide. Read through the whole process and decide for yourself if it looks doable to you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yes it's clear as mud that the magic breakpoints are at 2gb and 32gb. The box has a MicroSD/MicroSDHC/MicroSDXC label on it and the one the 3DS supports properly is MicroSDHC.

Also it depends on your operating system - even its version loving hell - what it thinks the various card types should do and how they should work. There's formatting guides for MicroSDXC cards that may or may not work for a specific model, and you need either separate software on Win10 side, or some knowledge on Linux side.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody likes a pedant.

One thing to keep in mind when loading your 3DS with homebrew: it can only display 300 different games/apps at once. You can install way more, but you'll only be able to access the first latest 300 things installed, and that counts utility apps. It's sorta like a treadmill.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 26, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

You do not.

You are not.

SD cards only go up to 2GB, the 3DS supports SDHC but not SDXC and where SDXC can work if formatted right, it can also just fail based on the model's hardware design. Long story very short, look up lists of tested cards on 3DS homebrew sites/wikis.
This is the most pedantic thing I've ever seen, and Jivjov posts here.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A friend of mine was annoyed at people saying hoverboard batteries were “overheating” because “overheating” is a very specific technical term.

What these batteries were doing was getting too hot!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nobody likes a pedant.

Oh, absolutely true, but in a situation like that it does make it a lot more complex because suddenly the OS insists you're doing something wrong.

And what things do in unsupported configurations has surprised me with complete nonsense enough times where I avoid trying to figure things out on my own there.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nobody likes a pedant.

One thing to keep in mind when loading your 3DS with homebrew: it can only display 300 different games/apps at once. You can install way more, but you'll only be able to access the first latest 300 things installed, and that counts utility apps. It's sorta like a treadmill.

Oh yeah, that's an important thing to remember. Using a 128gb SD CARD becomes pointless if you want to actually access every game on your card.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh, absolutely true, but in a situation like that it does make it a lot more complex because suddenly the OS insists you're doing something wrong.

And what things do in unsupported configurations has surprised me with complete nonsense enough times where I avoid trying to figure things out on my own there.

You just have to format a microSD card to FAT32 and you're good. I've personally installed homebrew to multiple 3DS systems. I went to Amazon, typed "128gb MicroSD card" and was able to use the thing that they sent me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

homeless snail posted:

This is the most pedantic thing I've ever seen, and Jivjov posts here.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I thought something interesting had happened what with seeing over ten (!!) new posts but oh my god what the hell was that

They are all literally just called micro SD cards to 99.999% of humanity, endlessm you are the only one who was confused here buddy

How could this happen in such a chill thread

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

KingSlime posted:

I thought something interesting had happened what was seeing new posts but oh my god what the hell was that

They are all literally just called micro SD cards to 99.999% of humanity, endlessm you are the only one who was confused here buddy

How could this happen in such a chill thread

I've had enough trouble with that very distinction to never make the mistake of ignoring it ever again.

I'm far from confused, I just know that poo poo breaks down in weird ways around those boundaries, like Windows insisting you can't format it that way.

Of course, the 3DS community has all this nicely documented so you can just look up cards and formatting tools confirmed working, if you know there might be problems.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The best size SD card is the biggest one that you can afford and will work. I see this all the time in the Switch thread, people saying 128 is fine but like it’s soooo nice to be able to store your entire library on flash memory and never have to worry about not being able to play a game when you’re on a flight (remember those?) because you forgot to download it.
I think I have a 64gb in my 3DS but honestly I’d put double that in if I could be bothered. 3DS game dumps aren’t small.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have a 32gb one in my personal one so I don't have to do things like downloading a formatter or booting up the Linux system.

Or download tools from 3rd party repositories with very little knowledge if they're legitimate because the original site's been down for a long time.

I guess it's not RPi at least.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I had a 400gb in my 3ds but it was way overkill. I got a smaller 128gb one and it’s still more than enough.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
The 3ds guide doesn't seem so bad. I have a large number of 3ds carts, but no reason to install/dump every single one, probably. I'll wait on cfw until I can get a 128gb card to work with my system first. I'll still be able to access the e-shop even with cfw installed, right?

Sorry to muck up the thread with this derail.

I tried out Yo Kai Watch 1. It's fun.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

KingSlime posted:

At least Edgeworth 2 has a fan translation
and it's excellent imo. if you're holding out on playing investigations 2 waiting for an official release, seriously, do yourself a favor and check it out. possibly the most cohesive plot in the series

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As long as you keep your firmware up to date, yes you can access the eShop on CFW.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

endlessmonotony posted:

I have a 32gb one in my personal one so I don't have to do things like downloading a formatter or booting up the Linux system.

Or download tools from 3rd party repositories with very little knowledge if they're legitimate because the original site's been down for a long time.

I guess it's not RPi at least.

Formating an SD card isn't a huge hurdle or a gigantic risk, it's not exactly chasing torrent links posted on twitter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chronojam posted:

Formating an SD card isn't a huge hurdle or a gigantic risk, it's not exactly chasing torrent links posted on twitter.

Did you know Microsoft has changed the way it handles FAT32 formatting in different operating system versions, and that the SD Association retires its formatting tools?

The fact that I know probably hints at the headaches I've had.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Download guiformat from softpedia, click to use directly from the browser, ensure 32KB allocation size is selected in the user interface, click Start.

"Now, now, old chap. This all seems rather complicated to me, the jivjov of SD cards"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
If you've had issues that's fair, I guess I've been lucky that I just slap whatever cheap SD card onto all of my Homebrew 3DS's and they've all worked fine

Either way most people who are messing with Homebrew will definitely be able to install third party format tools if required

It sounds harder / more annoying to work around the limitations imo

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 26, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

KingSlime posted:

If you've had issues that's fair, I guess I've been lucky that I just slap whatever cheap SD card onto all of my Homebrew 3DS's and they've all worked fine

Either way most people who are messing with Homebrew will definitely be able to install third party format tools if required

It sounds harder / more annoying to work around the limitations imo

Yeah, it'll probably work fine if you know to prepare for it, and me going with a 32gb card for now is just hedging my bets against OS updates meaning your old tools no longer work, because 32gb will keep working now until forever. Also means I don't have to go digging through the swamp of dead links and softpedia for the formatter I need.

I wager any given SanDisk out there right now will just work without anything special, and where there have been problems with some homebrew above 32gb - as well as the system getting slow to access when it has a bunch of garbage to load off a less-than-great SD card - those do seem to be pretty ironed out. Cheaping out on SD cards seems to be three quarters of the problem, though I've had problems where newer Kingstons don't work as well as older ones for some completely unknowable reason.

Also 32gb cards don't have any limitations for me, I can fit everything I want on the system on one. Granted, I have physical cartridges for all my Pokemon games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My favorite is that the original PhotoFast CR-5400 Genuine Straight From Taiwan (microSD to PSP memory stick adapter) doesn't support larger than 16 GB micro SD cards, but the knockoffs from AliExpress all support up to 256 GB or something. You just have to let the PSP format the card in 2004 style.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My favorite is that the original PhotoFast CR-5400 Genuine Straight From Taiwan (microSD to PSP memory stick adapter) doesn't support larger than 16 GB micro SD cards, but the knockoffs from AliExpress all support up to 256 GB or something. You just have to let the PSP format the card in 2004 style.

PSPs had some of their own weird issues with memory cards. Very early games, before the OS exposed a standard API for loading and saving data, would do their own things and some of the very first games won’t actually read or write to memory sticks above a certain size (1GB I think).

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Cheaping out on SD cards

they only go up to 2GB so I can't imagine they get very expensive

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Breadallelogram posted:

lmao

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Breadallelogram posted:

Okay I deserved that one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My least favorite is all the FAT corruption all over the place.

Aligning sectors by hand on the RPi takes the cake for "WHY". Windows Phone's SD handling takes the cake for indecipherable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
gently caress the CV chat in the other thread has me wanting me to play the DS Castlevania games on my Homebrewd 2ds.

Do people wrap ds games into cias etc or do you need a third party utility to run DS games these days? Not asking for any links or sources to any files just curious because I've seen SNES games slapped into CIA's which is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
People used Twilightmenu++ last I checked, I just use a flashcart instead of messing with that though