Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Twilightmenu is nice, especially if you use the TWPatch program that lets you tweak the scaling filter for DS games so they look a bit nicer at full screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You can wrap DS games into cias but it's a bit convoluted and I haven't bothered. Twilight Menu++ works just fine when it loads, but I've only ever been able to run DS games through it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Filter options you say? Twilightmenu it is!

Thanks for the details! As luxurious as my phone screen is, these games just aren't the same unless I'm on a DS.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone know a good source for n3DS XL she’ll replacements? Kinda hosed up the back one and I’d rather not rely on tape forever.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've had decent luck on eBay. I couldn't recommend a specific seller though.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone know a good source for n3DS XL she’ll replacements? Kinda hosed up the back one and I’d rather not rely on tape forever.

Is it just the battery cover? Nintendo sells some itself https://store.nintendo.com/battery-cover-kit-new-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PlushCow posted:

Is it just the battery cover? Nintendo sells some itself https://store.nintendo.com/battery-cover-kit-new-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

Just the battery, yeah. Those look perfect, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a process to inject SNES games like the GBA ones? On a New 2DS if that matters.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a process to inject SNES games like the GBA ones? On a New 2DS if that matters.

The best way is to inject via Nintendo’s own SNES VC wrapper. You can find applications that lets you do that on GBAtemp.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The best way is to inject via Nintendo’s own SNES VC wrapper. You can find applications that lets you do that on GBAtemp.

That's exactly what I was asking, thanks!

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
I've just opened a New 2DS XL that has been sat on my shelf for the last year. Got a new SD card on order and looking forward to getting it homebrewed, then finally attacking my huge games backlog. I bought up lots of physical games over the last year when they were being sold off cheaply. I homebrewed an old 2DS a while back and it seems so much easier these days with the browser method.

What I want to ask is, is there anything I should be buying to keep this thing in tip-top condition? I'm particularly concerned about damaging the touch screen. Also I have horrible sweaty hands so am a bit worried about making the shell disgusting. I only plan to use it around the house so don't think I need a carry case. Really hoping that I can still be playing this thing in 10 years time, just like my other Gameboys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This brand has been the goon approved one for screen protectors. Looks like it comes with a glass screen protector for the top and a plastic one formal the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728CRKP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_EGGHA1JWBTCCFVVA4DQ1

Two things that I forsee needing replacement down the line are the circle pad/right thumb stick thing, and the battery.

Rubber generally breaks down over time due to air exposure and the oils on our hands. I'm gonna need to find someone to send my Majora's Mask 3DS to because the circle pad does not feel good to touch anymore.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

Sorry, forgot one important detail which is that I'm in the UK. Sadly that brand doesn't seem to be available over here. Good to know that these things seem to be worth using though.

Yeah good call on the thumbstuck things, I hadn't really noticed how bad the one on my old 2DS was until I compared it to a new one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, well, hopefully there is a brand that sells something similar in the UK.

There's these metal circle pad replacements that I've been thinking about getting. Dunno if they'll ship over there or not though.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76RHQ7ZEW/3dstick-metal-3ds-circle-pad

I'm not too confident about opening up a 3DS/2DS though.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, I haven't been able to use my new3DSXL in, like, a year and a half, and I'm tired of that. What happens is, plugged in or battery only, the blue light and the orange wifi light come on, but the screen stays black forever, also no sound. If I press the power button, both screens turn on and it gives me the sleep mode option and to power off. If I touch POWER OFF, it does so, and if I press the home button, it acts like it's going to the home screen, but it just hangs with a big HOME Menu text on the screen. I tried taking the sd card in and out. I turned it on while holding LR up and A, and it lets me update the system, and then it shuts down, but that doesn't fix the issue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just beat Spirit of Justice a few days ago, and IIRC the last time I posted in here about Ace Attorney (when I beat Dual Destinies) people said the DLC for SoJ wasn't worth buying?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was fun, though it's kind of trying really hard to be like a case from the original games with Edgeworth as the prosecutor etc. There's a lot of Larry which I guess is a drawback for some people

also it's probably just me but it made me wish Ace Attorney did the Danganronpa thing at the end of a trial where they show how the whole murder played out because IIRC I had a hard time visualising what was happening in that case

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Commander Keene posted:

I just beat Spirit of Justice a few days ago, and IIRC the last time I posted in here about Ace Attorney (when I beat Dual Destinies) people said the DLC for SoJ wasn't worth buying?

It’s not an incredible whale murder case but it’s totally worth playing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Bought three triforce heroes for cheap and sent two to a couple of my nephews. We're going to play this weekend and I'm fricken stoked!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Bought three triforce heroes for cheap and sent two to a couple of my nephews. We're going to play this weekend and I'm fricken stoked!

Super jealous. I never got to play it with people I knew. I managed a good online match once or twice and it was brilliant. This should be up somehow on the Switch as a Online App or something.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Super jealous. I never got to play it with people I knew. I managed a good online match once or twice and it was brilliant. This should be up somehow on the Switch as a Online App or something.

Update: it was a lot of fun! Lots of chaos as we accidentally picked and threw each other every which way. Getting organized and figuring out the puzzles with pubbies must be tough, some of those bosses require decent coordination. My nephews are really into unlocking new outfits for the abilities, too, to the point where they're willing to grind past missions by themselves. There's a moratorium on going to new stages alone, it is FORBIDDEN. Can't wait to play again

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Bought a Japanese n3dsXL for $70. Pretty drat clean but it's menus are in Japanese. Guessing no way to change them without flashing a USA or Euro FW.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On a US 3DS, language settings are in System Settings > Other Settings, and are the top option on the last page of settings. Though my US 3DS only has the options for English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese, not Japanese, a JP 3DS may have an English language option.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Narzack posted:

So, I haven't been able to use my new3DSXL in, like, a year and a half, and I'm tired of that. What happens is, plugged in or battery only, the blue light and the orange wifi light come on, but the screen stays black forever, also no sound. If I press the power button, both screens turn on and it gives me the sleep mode option and to power off. If I touch POWER OFF, it does so, and if I press the home button, it acts like it's going to the home screen, but it just hangs with a big HOME Menu text on the screen. I tried taking the sd card in and out. I turned it on while holding LR up and A, and it lets me update the system, and then it shuts down, but that doesn't fix the issue.

Bumping to see if anyone else has had this issue

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

When you say you took the SD card out, did you actually try to turn it on without it? Turned it on with a different SD card?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just looked at the refurb store and it looks like they're all out of 3DS 2ds. So glad I have a red new 3ds I grabbed this fall from them. (Haven't formatted it yet but will for GBA games).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Really? Guess it’s time to buy a 3DS battery or two before they stop putting them out.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

hatty posted:

Really? Guess it’s time to buy a 3DS battery or two before they stop putting them out.

That's what I did, snagged a couple of batteries when I heard they were discontinuing refurbs since I have 3 2DSes in the house.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I got one of these grip things for my 2DS XL. Just a cheap bit of plastic from China but it's a nice fit, well designed with access to ports and feels so much more comfortable.

The homebrew process is great now, using the browser based method. But does anyone know if there's a good resource for learning more about what I did in all those steps? I feel like I just followed it without having much understanding of what I did or what each bit of software does. I read most of the project readmes already, but I'm still missing all the background. Maybe I missed something but when I search, I typically end up on some years-out-of-date thread stickied on some forum or Reddit. Seems amazing how great the results are given how disorganised it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got one of those grips and it broke after about two days :(

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

hatty posted:

There is no reason to worry about this, they use literally the exact same battery in Switch Pro controllers

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

There is no reason to worry about this, they use literally the exact same battery in Switch Pro controllers

The original 3DS uses the same battery as the Pro Controller so official spares will be readily available for a long time, but the 3DS XL and n3DS XL use a different, bigger battery.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

The original 3DS uses the same battery as the Pro Controller so official spares will be readily available for a long time, but the 3DS XL and n3DS XL use a different, bigger battery.

Ah I should probably grab an XL one from Nintendo soon.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I wanna sell my 3DS, and figure I might get slightly more if I don't wipe it and leave the downloaded games on it.

I have no credit in the account, and you can't add more without either a eShop gift card or logging in to the website after they disabled credit card payments on device, so I'm not too worried about that. NNID is 3DS/WiiU only, so I can unlink that from my my.nintendo.com account so it won't impact my Switch stuff.

Is there anything else I would need to do before selling, or actual risk I'd be exposing myself to here?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I wanna sell my 3DS, and figure I might get slightly more if I don't wipe it and leave the downloaded games on it.

I have no credit in the account, and you can't add more without either a eShop gift card or logging in to the website after they disabled credit card payments on device, so I'm not too worried about that. NNID is 3DS/WiiU only, so I can unlink that from my my.nintendo.com account so it won't impact my Switch stuff.

Is there anything else I would need to do before selling, or actual risk I'd be exposing myself to here?

Just wipe it unless you have an irl buyer who wants the games.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If I bought it I would just wipe it anyway. And since when did they stop accepting credit cards on the device? I just bought a couple games last month on mine.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think credit card payments were only disabled in Europe so Nintendo could dodge some new legislation.

hatty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 26, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone buying a 3DS in 2021 either won't pay more for games because it's cheap garbage, or will wipe it anyway, either to restore it to a pristine state or to install cfw.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone buying a 3DS in 2021 either won't pay more for games because it's cheap garbage, or will wipe it anyway, either to restore it to a pristine state or to install cfw.

Last week, I ordered a Japanese New 3DS from ebay which I plan on installing CFW to. But I'm also working on getting a complete 3DS library so I'm a bit of an outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are Japanese non-XL systems going for reasonable prices? Is it possible to then flash NA firmware to them and do a system transfer?