Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok, I think I finally figured out that real issue was a bad .cia file.
I dug around in godmode9 and found an option called verify game title, ran it which took forever, and it said DQ8 could not be verified. Then I uninstalled the game, moved some savegame folders around and then downloaded the game from another source and now it seems to be fine.
I'm at Trodain's castle and have left it running for some time without crashing, when before it would crash reliable in just a couple of minutes.

I'm going consider the whole SD card replacement thing as preventative maintenance and go back to killing metal slimes I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I saw this video earlier today with footage of every released DS games. There was almost 4000 games released and randomly clicking on the timelines has like a 90% of getting you the most lovely shovelware you've never heard of before.
In terms of ratio of good to abysmal garbage games, I guess only the Wii comes close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENS_6GJlHg&t=3352s

wtf wow

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Man that first year of the DS was so rough

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PAC Pix sucked too, lots of bad PAC MEN games on the DS

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the plural of Pac-Man Pac-Mans, Pac-Men, or Pacs-Man

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Pac N Roll.:smith:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The best part of the FF3 remake is that the last couple hours of the game have no save points, so if you wipe you gotta do it all over again. I just grinded like crazy in the final area and even still there were a few points in the final boss encounter where I was in danger of getting wiped. It was definitely an intense battle and if I had lost I'm not sure if I would have bothered to do it again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Original_Z posted:

The best part of the FF3 remake is that the last couple hours of the game have no save points, so if you wipe you gotta do it all over again. I just grinded like crazy in the final area and even still there were a few points in the final boss encounter where I was in danger of getting wiped. It was definitely an intense battle and if I had lost I'm not sure if I would have bothered to do it again.

Accurate

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Pac N Roll.:smith:

Yeah it was pretty fun

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spamman posted:

Yeah it was pretty fun

A version of it is on the newest Pac-Man collection and it actually sucks without the touch controls.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SeANMcBAY posted:

A version of it is on the newest Pac-Man collection and it actually sucks without the touch controls.

Ah that explains how awful that is to play

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a recommended carrying case for a N3DSXL? Preferably one that isn't super bulky, doesn't look like it was designed by Nerf and doesn't advertise that it's holding a video game system. I always get a little apprehensive that it's basically shouting "hey there's a bunch of very stealable games in here"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heath posted:

Is there a recommended carrying case for a N3DSXL? Preferably one that isn't super bulky, doesn't look like it was designed by Nerf and doesn't advertise that it's holding a video game system. I always get a little apprehensive that it's basically shouting "hey there's a bunch of very stealable games in here"

This is a sleeve. I bought it for an Analogue Pocket, but it was made for 3DSXL. I really liked it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741C75T3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is a sleeve. I bought it for an Analogue Pocket, but it was made for 3DSXL. I really liked it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741C75T3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seconding this one for both a N3DS XL and the Pocket.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I saw this video earlier today with footage of every released DS games. There was almost 4000 games released and randomly clicking on the timelines has like a 90% of getting you the most lovely shovelware you've never heard of before.
In terms of ratio of good to abysmal garbage games, I guess only the Wii comes close.

(video)

Thanks for posting this. I've been watching this for several minutes each day and it's been amazing so far. Collections of books, jigsaw puzzles, visual novels/dating games, hidden object games, travel guides, stuff obviously inspired by Brain Age, mini game collections, board game collections, a lot of games inspired by Nintendogs, even more games about horses, driving license trainers, a lifetime of match3 games, a surprising amount of rhythm games, cookbooks and games about preparing food, games to help with math and language (especially Japanese titles to learn English), carts that simply repackage multiple DS titles... and all the typical games you'd expect from the GBA era onward on your handheld. It really was the period before tablets and app stores, where a whole lot of PC/Flash creators probably started churning out stuff for the DS.

And I'm just at "D" so far! I had a good laugh just now, because this Japanese novel combo (not even the visual kind) that deals with UFOs had music that sounded somewhat... familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENS_6GJlHg&t=7802s
(should link to 2:10:02)

Edit: 5 different Evangelion pachi-slot games!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 18, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was thinking of booting up Bravely Default again and finishing it. I checked out at the Fire Temple boss. But I started up and I had NO idea how to play anymore. Like what's going on, what're all these jobs, how they work, anything. I don't want to restart, but is there like a crash course or am I just going to have to trade it in?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Do some random battles, put the encounter rate at max and stay close to the save point so you can heal up. The jobs are fairly straightforward in BD1 I think, get a healer and various damage dealers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was thinking of booting up Bravely Default again and finishing it. I checked out at the Fire Temple boss. But I started up and I had NO idea how to play anymore. Like what's going on, what're all these jobs, how they work, anything. I don't want to restart, but is there like a crash course or am I just going to have to trade it in?

You can Brave which lets you take an extra action in a given turn at the cost of losing your next action, and Default which has you defend that turn but you stock an extra action for a later turn. The more technical encounters involve figuring out when to Brave and Default based on what the enemy does. Other than that you're mostly just playing a job-centric Final Fantasy a la 3 and 5. There's some mechanic where each character's Limit Break is based on their equipped weapon but with a little room for customization, but I don't quite remember it.

I'm in a similar boat where I've been playing a couple of hours every six months and I'm still somewhat early. After all of that hemming and hawing over what to buy as the eShop shuts down, I am just playing Virtual Console junk that I probably could have gotten by hacking my console :goleft:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Speaking of VC stuff, I recently bought a N3DSXL and the guy was kind enough to not wipe it and left a couple dozen games on it, including the GBA ambassador games. Is it just me or are the GBA games just absolutely hideous on this screen? They're very dim, to the point where I tried playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and I kept getting wrecked because I couldn't tell what was going on. Doing the resolution changing trick by holding start at the boot up helped but it was still very dark in comparison to GB or NES games for some reason, and I can't go back to the main menu to adjust brightness or anything.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

You can Brave which lets you take an extra action in a given turn at the cost of losing your next action, and Default which has you defend that turn but you stock an extra action for a later turn. The more technical encounters involve figuring out when to Brave and Default based on what the enemy does. Other than that you're mostly just playing a job-centric Final Fantasy a la 3 and 5. There's some mechanic where each character's Limit Break is based on their equipped weapon but with a little room for customization, but I don't quite remember it.

I'm in a similar boat where I've been playing a couple of hours every six months and I'm still somewhat early. After all of that hemming and hawing over what to buy as the eShop shuts down, I am just playing Virtual Console junk that I probably could have gotten by hacking my console :goleft:

I'm half considering restarting just to go through a tutorial and then going back to it. But thanks, I need to figure out the buttons and the jobs themselves and my experience where I was. I don't even remember why I stopped but it has been several years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm half considering restarting just to go through a tutorial and then going back to it. But thanks, I need to figure out the buttons and the jobs themselves and my experience where I was. I don't even remember why I stopped but it has been several years.

If you restart let me know if it saves your Streetpass data between files, I tried to figure it out a while back but couldn't.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Maybe try reading a guide on Gamefaqs or something up to the point where you are? Such a guide would probably also cover basic tutorial stuff and strategies for each job. Assuming you don't want to start completely over.

It's rough picking a game back up after putting it down for a long time. I've done it before and it sucks. Hope you can power through it one way or another! BD is a great game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heath posted:

Speaking of VC stuff, I recently bought a N3DSXL and the guy was kind enough to not wipe it and left a couple dozen games on it, including the GBA ambassador games. Is it just me or are the GBA games just absolutely hideous on this screen? They're very dim, to the point where I tried playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and I kept getting wrecked because I couldn't tell what was going on. Doing the resolution changing trick by holding start at the boot up helped but it was still very dark in comparison to GB or NES games for some reason, and I can't go back to the main menu to adjust brightness or anything.
IIRC there is a button combo you can use to adjust screen brightness in DS or GBA games. Something like Start + Up to increase brightness and Start + Down to decrease.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Maybe try reading a guide on Gamefaqs or something up to the point where you are? Such a guide would probably also cover basic tutorial stuff and strategies for each job. Assuming you don't want to start completely over.

It's rough picking a game back up after putting it down for a long time. I've done it before and it sucks. Hope you can power through it one way or another! BD is a great game.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

C-Euro posted:

If you restart let me know if it saves your Streetpass data between files, I tried to figure it out a while back but couldn't.

The game has 3 save files, so I'll check but I don't think so because when I bought it used, there was a lvl 99 file and I didn't get anything out of it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just picked Bravely Default back up as well, but in my case I've never made it past the first 10 hours so I just started over. It's really clicking for me this time when before it never did. The "tutorial" is spread over the first 3 or so hours of gameplay so you're better off catching up with a guide or just starting over.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I've been playing BD for the first time recently and the gamefaqs guides don't give me what I want to know. like how do i proc special moves? there are some that happen for classes and items. the only one i remember is that a freelancer with daggers will get special stuff if they use an item 4 times or... i don't remember the other one. i don't see where the game says theses things per item or class. how do you get an AI bot to help you build your village? where should i spend my job time so i don't end up regretting it? That one at least the guide i'm sure will help me with if i look.

i'm stuck at the fire/ice dragon and i know i shouldn't have to grind if i understand the mechanics, but i don't. the guides don't go in depth on the mechanics and items and neither does the game itself. they describe all the individual stuff but not the greater concepts undergirding it all. and i don't know what to buy... you could buy multiples of everything and 'optimize' but, no. the previews while shopping don't help compare across possible jobs.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Special moves are procced depending on the equipped weapon which sucks. Katanas are based on using Default, Rods depend on offensive magic, Knuckles require proccing crits, and things like that. If you look under Special under the party menu (where you set jobs and equipment), you can see the trigger conditions and set the effects for each character for each weapon type. Unfortunately there's no way to change the trigger conditions that I can see, so while giving a monk 2-Handed and a powerful staff makes him great offensively you don't really want to waste his special healing the party.

I can't really help you on equipment. I play slowly, so I have some pretty powerful equipment from Norende already. Also I don't really change jobs too often so whatever I buy usually remains useful until the next chapter. Right now I have 2 mages and 2 bruisers, but I might put my black mage into a more supportive role since I just got the sword mage class.

If you check Ringabel's journal in the map menu, the Help section contains all of the tutorials for Specials, class changing and everything else.

I'm confused by your confusion about Norende.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Walla posted:

Special moves are procced depending on the equipped weapon which sucks. Katanas are based on using Default, Rods depend on offensive magic, Knuckles require proccing crits, and things like that. If you look under Special under the party menu (where you set jobs and equipment), you can see the trigger conditions and set the effects for each character for each weapon type. Unfortunately there's no way to change the trigger conditions that I can see, so while giving a monk 2-Handed and a powerful staff makes him great offensively you don't really want to waste his special healing the party.

If you check Ringabel's journal in the map menu, the Help section contains all of the tutorials for Specials, class changing and everything else.

For special under party menu, is that the same kind of special? For each of them it says hack n slash: use brave 10 times with a picture of a sword. They're not all using swords.

In the help in journal, it says: "24. Special moves The conditions are different for each weapon. Sword: use brave ten times Dagger: use items five times... and so on."

"And so on," it says.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mescal posted:

For special under party menu, is that the same kind of special? For each of them it says hack n slash: use brave 10 times with a picture of a sword. They're not all using swords.

In the help in journal, it says: "24. Special moves The conditions are different for each weapon. Sword: use brave ten times Dagger: use items five times... and so on."

"And so on," it says.

If you look at the Special menu, you'll see a sword and it says Hack and Slash. Under the sword will be an axe, spear, mace and staff. You can scroll through the different weapons to see the different specials and their conditions. Also, at the top you'll see the first character in the party. As you scroll through the weapons you'll see a big E in yellow next to the weapon that character has equipped. If you press the L/R buttons you can toggle through the characters. Using this menu you can choose what parts (from Norende) to assign to each special on a per character basis.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Interesting. So if I dont see an axe, etc under the sword, that's because i didn't get it from norende yet?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Now I'm confused. Are you still in the intro? The ability to use Specials isn't available until you have all 4 party members.

Hit X to go to the Party Menu:

Select Special and a character:

You should be able to press up and down on the D-pad to scroll through the different weapons. Specifically the D-pad, NOT the Circle pad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm suddenly getting a hankering to go replay BD. Such a great game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Walla posted:

Now I'm confused. Are you still in the intro? The ability to use Specials isn't available until you have all 4 party members.

Hit X to go to the Party Menu:

Select Special and a character:

You should be able to press up and down on the D-pad to scroll through the different weapons. Specifically the D-pad, NOT the Circle pad.

I'm at level 21, so farther than that. Where it shows you have other weapons under the sword? Mine only shows sword.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Then I'm honestly baffled. Did you build a Special Moves shop in Norende? That's the only thing I can think of that might have an effect, but I don't have a way to confirm that right now. Otherwise it sounds like something is corrupted with your game specifically. Thankfully special moves shouldn't be necessary to complete the game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There's one or two other UI things that are funny. Like one tip text says that an option should be available at the adventurer which isn't. I am building the special moves shop right now, so if that's a prereq it'll be fixed soon.

If it's corrupted, I don't know how. I presume there isn't a 'repair install' option from nintendo's eshop?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think there is, IIRC, go to the game's eShop page on the 3DS and it should recognize that you have the game installed and allow you to either re-download it or do a repair installation or something. If not you can manually uninstall the game from System Settings and then re-download the game from the eShop.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oh, I forgot I wanted to show you my personal favorite weapon in the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just an ordinary "healing" rod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's got three settings! :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Is it possible for carts to go bad? My puzzle and dragons cart used to be fine last time I played it, years ago, now it crashes constantly. As far as I can tell no other 3ds game of mine does this