Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

The only bird I would ever own is a parakeet.
My neighbor has a sun conure. I agreed to care for it over the holidays while they were away. It would have killed me if it was much bigger!

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
Honestly, if you hadn't pulled this turnaround and were still wandering around PI asking questions I'd have told you to get a Canadian Eskimo Dog (which is just about the most hardcore North American primitive breed out there).

(I've always been fond of naming old labs after candy since they can be such sweeties :3 )

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Tamarillo posted:

Go for the old lady tripod lab OP. But don't call her loving Mrs Beasley seriously shelter people wtf. PI, name this dog

"Scratch and Dent"

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

Go for the old lady tripod lab OP. But don't call her loving Mrs Beasley seriously shelter people wtf. PI, name this dog

I agree, this dog is so cute you should get her.

I am terrible at naming my pets so I would probably name her something like "Hoppit"

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

PartyCrown posted:

Honestly, if you hadn't pulled this turnaround and were still wandering around PI asking questions I'd have told you to get a Canadian Eskimo Dog (which is just about the most hardcore North American primitive breed out there).

(I've always been fond of naming old labs after candy since they can be such sweeties :3 )

Wow you'd really set someone up for failure like that?

That's p lovely imho

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Not that I would condone what PartyCrown may have planned to do, but one google search of a Candian Eskimo Dog shows a massive dog with the description of a "working dog breed". Working breed =/= lazy, so I don't think you'd be led to stray. Unless you didn't google the breed at all that you were considering, but you're smarter than that, so it's all good. :)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ferryll posted:

Not that I would condone what PartyCrown may have planned to do, but one google search of a Candian Eskimo Dog shows a massive dog with the description of a "working dog breed". Working breed =/= lazy, so I don't think you'd be led to stray. Unless you didn't google the breed at all that you were considering, but you're smarter than that, so it's all good. :)

It was a tongue in cheek post. If he had said 'go trap thee a literal wolf from yonder copse' I wouldn't have done so.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Get a tripod, name it Ilene. :3:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
If you go with Eileen instead it is an old lady sort of name too so it is thematically correct AND has a terrible pun.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

quote:

I was worried about this too, but I've been blamed for tons of things in my life and it comes natural. To my great relief, however, the shelter people more or less shrugged and said it happens. The kindly old kennel lady who wears woodland camo overalls and is in the shelter every day was delighted her favorite dog came back. Everyone was also thrilled that she got her shots for heartworm, thanked us for giving them her whole bag of dog food, and were stunned I brought the follow up medicine back. They even gave me the $35 back because they hadn't given it to the contract vet yet.

This shelter was good about it, but others can be lovely. They are staffed by volunteers who know as little about dogs as I do. They're only there because they like dogs, and that's fine, but they have no business belittling people who return an animal. After all, shelters encourage hair trigger impulse adoptions without ever even asking about your living conditions, kids, other animals, or your lifestyle. They can be like sleazy used car dealership: get you to snatch up the cutest thing you find and get you out the door. "Sure, champ, take that collie mix of unknown history home with you to your 1 bedroom apartment and two rabbits." Not necessarily for as malicious a reason, but for the fact everyone wants puppies to have loving homes, even it means no history or considerations are given and results in heartache all around when the time comes to return the incompatible dog.

I had a horrible experience with a rescue recently where they lay on the guilt and were ridiculous when I had to return Second Dog because I didn't have time to help her with her horrible anxiety (like destructive piss and poo poo drool all down the front of her barking six hours literally going crazy while I'm gone) even when she was medicated, wearing a Thunder Shirt 24/7 and was getting in home training for multiple hours a week with a professional and many more with just me. The reason I couldn't continue putting in the work with her is because my mother has brain cancer and hey guess what that's where most of my time is going now and it was just way too much for me to be able to help her with - especially considering the fact that the rescue never told me that she had an anxiety problem which is something I would never consider myself ready for.

I wrote a long letter about her issues and made sure to stress the fact that even though she was terrified at normal things on a regular basis she's never bitten anyone and all sorts of other things like how she anticipates what you will want and loves to make you happy etc plus a number of photos to help with adoption. I was hoping that they could be realistic and post about her both good and bad or get her the help she needed. They didn't do either, and made sure to say "we have never seen her be a 'barker'!" like yeah I guess that they haven't gotten abusive letters from neighbours therefore it's not an issue (spoiler alert it is) :party:

gently caress that and sorry about this rant I am still v angry about the whole thing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

luscious posted:

I had a horrible experience with a rescue recently where they lay on the guilt and were ridiculous when I had to return Second Dog because I didn't have time to help her with her horrible anxiety (like destructive piss and poo poo drool all down the front of her barking six hours literally going crazy while I'm gone) even when she was medicated, wearing a Thunder Shirt 24/7 and was getting in home training for multiple hours a week with a professional and many more with just me. The reason I couldn't continue putting in the work with her is because my mother has brain cancer and hey guess what that's where most of my time is going now and it was just way too much for me to be able to help her with - especially considering the fact that the rescue never told me that she had an anxiety problem which is something I would never consider myself ready for.

I wrote a long letter about her issues and made sure to stress the fact that even though she was terrified at normal things on a regular basis she's never bitten anyone and all sorts of other things like how she anticipates what you will want and loves to make you happy etc plus a number of photos to help with adoption. I was hoping that they could be realistic and post about her both good and bad or get her the help she needed. They didn't do either, and made sure to say "we have never seen her be a 'barker'!" like yeah I guess that they haven't gotten abusive letters from neighbours therefore it's not an issue (spoiler alert it is) :party:

gently caress that and sorry about this rant I am still v angry about the whole thing.

Watch this and all will be good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmJbJs-9ST0

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Tamarillo posted:

If you go with Eileen instead it is an old lady sort of name too so it is thematically correct AND has a terrible pun.

This is the best idea.

GOKU well done on being open to learning and poo poo. I gotta admit I thought you'd be like one of my clients who rocks up with three kids under five plus a mouthy as poo poo heeler puppy. (Do not do that thing.)

I adopted my dog when he was 4-5 years old and he was happy enough to chill by himself while I was at work, as long as we spent time together afterwards. He used to live in a home with kids so he was fine with them. He was proven fine with cats. He peed in the house exactly one time, after I brought him home. I showed him where to pee instead and he was all good. He lifts his leg on every loving tree on walks but he's never marked inside. Basically the bar is set very high for my next dog. (I've also had fosters and adopted an ancient chi from the shelter too, she was v sweet)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm not your client :colbert:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

luscious posted:

I had a way better experience adopting from a shelter than a rescue. When I was first looking for a GSD I went to a breed rescue and told them I was looking for a dog who I could use to get my feet wet in Schutzhund. The dog they hooked me up with was a fear aggressive, bitey nightmare with hip dysplasia, severe IBD, and pannus that I ended up returning after about a month because he kept trying to seriously-for-real bite people. They were very understanding when I returned him but it's beyond me why they would give that dog to first time dog owners who wanted to do dog sports :psyduck: A pro trainer friend of mine who used to volunteer for that rescue was told he 'wasn't qualified' to adopt one of their ex-military dogs because he was too much dog for him. The dog eventually got transferred to a different rescue who let my bud adopt him and the dog ended up going on SEAL training missions, acting in tv shows and doing a bunch of the motion cap for CoD: Ghosts

There are great rescues out there who do really fantastic things but tons of them seem to attract batshit fuckin crazy weirdos with martyr complexes and a lot of directionless rage

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Hey Super and BWI

I also have a 'soft mouth'

Take that as you will.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
:wink:

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

luscious posted:

It seems like shelter and rescue volunteers don't want to listen to anyone who tells them anything they don't want to hear. I have a friend who adopted a cat from a shelter a couple years ago. This cat was supposed to be get along with kids and everything, it was advertised as a big mush. Everything went well in the shelter when it met their family. The next day he ran out from under a bed and loving bit their three year old daughter for no reason. She wasn't even loving with the cat. They returned the cat and the shelter people rolled their eyes and got snippy about it and told them they just don't know how to cat.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 25, 2015

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
It just sucks bc when family and friends would visit and this dog would bark non-stop bc they were there my dad would say "she's from a rescue" and they would all be like "OOOOH ok I'm so sorry :(" There are soo many websites, memes, and shelter posts on facebook about how not EVERY rescue dog is messed up and it's not always their fault that they are in rescue but like everything, the loudest / ones with the most problems are the ones focused on.

The dog in question is in a foster to own home right now but considering that the rescue did nothing other than throw out the toys, books, and meds that I gave them I dunno... all I can think is that this poor girl is going to be lost in the system if they are not willing to do something to help her. While barking isn't biting it's still hugely disruptive and considering that it's impossible to bond with a dog who is so anxious that she's in shut down panic mode all the time they can't even hope that someone will fall in love and help her unti she's "fixed". Lord knows, I tried and only made a dent.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Ya'll all know what happened with Griff

The rescue ladies who championed to save her in the first place still insist I just didn't ~try hard enough~ to make her not insane and imply that I abused her or somehow provoked her to bite. This is a dog I had to pick up from her spay early, before her sedation had even fully worn off, because she climbed out of her 6' kennel and tried to bite an attendant.

If only I had just hugged her more!!!!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Here are some recent pictures of my lab/terrier or schnauzer mix. It breaks my heart seeing her in such bad shape and how she's not being taken care of :(

I want her back immidiately right now.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 25, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Omg I LOVE wirey mutts. I am so excited for you to get her back and all fixed up :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Get your scruff mutt back :3:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Shes got benign lumps on her chest :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Welcome to old dogs

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That's okay, they don't even necessarily need to be removed, you just need to keep an eye on them. That happens with older dogs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Yeah my parents' golden had those. He just kept making more so they were like "eh, we won't remove any more unless they are like, legit bothering him." They didn't really seem to bother him, and it was something entirely different that contributed to his demise, so pretty scruffdog there ought to be fine.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

My family's 12-old dog is about 20% benign lump. It's okay.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That's p lovely imho

I would've made it really obvious that it wasn't an entirely serious post, I assure you.
We've just had some spectacularly stupid people on here hahaha

DO YOU HAVE DOG BACK YET Y/N
and get tripod dog too imo

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That's p lovely imho

op get a maremma, it'll bond with your cat real good I reckon

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Fraction posted:

op get a maremma, it'll bond with your cat real good I reckon

Chemically. As in Gastric Acid bonding with cat flesh.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

My dog has one too and it's fine. You just have to keep an eye on them for changes, but other than that, it shouldn't hurt her.

My general advice when it comes to adopting dogs is to first do research on the general types of dogs. It's hard to look up every breed and try to figure things out, but dogs come in overall types that generally share the same characteristics. For example, if you want a chill, family-friendly dog who doesn't need much exercise or activity, there's a whole category of companion dogs that are specifically built for this purpose. Not all of them are kid/cat-friendly but you're much more likely to find something that fits with your lifestyle by starting with that category. From there, you can more easily narrow it down and research specific breeds.

As someone who adopted a dog that's part Am Staff, I'd say the thread really steered you right. My dog has turned out not to be aggressive towards other dogs/animals, but we still have to treat him like he may be, just to be sure, and for other people's peace of mind. And there are always fun surprises with mutts. Even though he hasn't ever shown dog aggression, he is extremely territorial about our house, which is atypical for a pit bull type dog. We have to keep him locked away whenever anyone (especially a kid) comes over because his protectiveness gets triggered by totally unpredictable things -- whatever he perceives as someone trying to take our stuff, basically. Even if he only intended to warn someone away, he could seriously hurt them because he has that pit bull jaw. This behavior didn't even come up until we'd had him for several years. We would have never known he would be like that in the beginning, he was so timid at first.

I think that unless you're bound and determined to own a certain breed, and prepared to deal with any potential issues that the dog's temperament and size may bring up, you're better off going for a dog that can't harm anyone/thing due to its size. I love my dog to death and I think he's been worth all the extra work, but I would have gotten rid of him in a heartbeat if we had decided to have kids, because there's just no way I would bring an infant to live in this house with him.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Lowly posted:

because he has that pit bull jaw

What does this even mean?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

What does this even mean?

Honestly, while ~bite pressure~ and ~jaw structure~ aren't A Thing when it comes to the severity of pit bull bites; the way they grab and hold and refuse to let go is, and they are also typically bred for a hard mouth (moreso in some lines than others.) They do tend to do a lot more damage than many other dogs when they do decide to go for something; it's just more based on tenacity and their style of biting and holding than actual jaw structure. I don't even correct people because I'm just glad when people are aware that their pit bull may do more damage than another dog even if they get the mechanics of "how" and "why" wrong.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I had a discussion with someone recently regarding getting mauled by a Chihuahua vs. a German Shepherd and the general consensus was that you could totally lose a finger to a Chihuahua but a bigger dog can do some serious damage in less the effort.

So yeah basically I agree with Super

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

A lot of old dogs have them. She's just growing boobs at an advanced age!

but really unless they're causing problems just leave them. They add character.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Here are some recent pictures of my lab/terrier or schnauzer mix. It breaks my heart seeing her in such bad shape and how she's not being taken care of :(

I want her back immidiately right now.

aw, she looks like the dog my dad had when I was little. he lived to be almost 15 years old, your girl probably has some good years left too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Wheats posted:

aw, she looks like the dog my dad had when I was little. he lived to be almost 15 years old, your girl probably has some good years left too.

She better because she has a lot of being spoiled to make up for :mad:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 2, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

She better because she has a lot of being spoiled to make up for :mad:

When your mother in law gets depressed from not having her around you should get the MIL an akita for revenge.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Newfoundlands are really good dogs. Even thought they're big and take up a lot of leg room, they're just an all around nice pooch. They also don't each as much as you would think. Plus, the bark scares off the J-Dubs that come to the door, and that is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a pit bull irl

• Locked thread