Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Which is murder coverups.

And the murders themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Superconsndar posted:

At this point I haven't watched anything Pit Bull related on TV in years because all of the shows just offend me too much; from what I've seen of those shows they are largely trash. The trend of painting pit bulls as misunderstood and abused angels forced to fight for profit who actually have the temperament of Labradors if "raised right" or "rehabilitated"

The one I am referring too on Animal Planet Pitbulls and Parolees sounds pretty much like this. Great that they are doing the work but it is just hammered down again and again that they are great and love people and willing to forgive all the abuse some of them get. It doesn't help that it is basically a family sitcom/drama with dogs throw in on the side. Discovery has fallen a long way in recent years but hey I guess it gets them there viewer numbers.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I honestly don't understand why rescue ladies and fur moms super into pits just can't be honest. They're in shelters BECAUSE they aren't great dogs for everyone. You want to have a bunch of small animals or another dog? Want to go to dog parks? Want to sit on your rear end all day? Good, don't get a loving pit. There are a million other kinds of dogs you can get that will fit your lifestyle better and will make you happier to not deal with it, but I guess you can't claim to be some sort of deeply caring soul.

I like pits okay (they're interesting dogs and are a part of American history), I could probably deal with having one, and plenty of people at my ostensibly no pits allowed complex have one. Without exception, they are not pleased to see my dog, and they don't seem to be happy with the 0 exercise they get each day. So, I'm glad I have an old ACD mix who just farts around and is a sentient footwarmer.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

The one I am referring too on Animal Planet Pitbulls and Parolees sounds pretty much like this. Great that they are doing the work but it is just hammered down again and again that they are great and love people and willing to forgive all the abuse some of them get. It doesn't help that it is basically a family sitcom/drama with dogs throw in on the side. Discovery has fallen a long way in recent years but hey I guess it gets them there viewer numbers.

You're pretty much right. I've heard some really dumb poo poo come out of that ladies mouth the few times I've watched. It seems a big problem with the pit bull rescue community in general is extremely black and white thinking- "either these dogs are murderbeasts that eat babies, or they're perfect family pets. We like them, so they must be perfect family pets. If they're capable of doing bad things they would be bad dogs, and they are not bad dogs!!!"

They're just an extremely driven, niche working breed. They're prone to high levels of dog aggression and can have high prey drive and high energy levels. They're also bred not to want to let go of anything once they have a hold on it, so when one does gently caress up and go for a person, they do a lot of damage. They were created to fight other pit bulls and that's it. If you're realistic about it and know how to manage their brand of dog aggression and prey drive without shutting them down, they're really great. If you ignore it and don't learn proper management techniques, you may end up having a really bad time. They're no more "difficult" than most other niche working breeds with very specific temperaments and high drive; but those breeds aren't as popular and stay among niche fanciers because it's socially acceptable to say "those dogs are not good pets for novices." The new trend of pit bull rescue/ownership and its attempt to rebrand pit bulls as the perfect family pet is probably the most destructive thing that has ever happened to the breed.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I honestly don't understand why rescue ladies and fur moms super into pits just can't be honest. They're in shelters BECAUSE they aren't great dogs for everyone. You want to have a bunch of small animals or another dog? Want to go to dog parks? Want to sit on your rear end all day? Good, don't get a loving pit. There are a million other kinds of dogs you can get that will fit your lifestyle better and will make you happier to not deal with it, but I guess you can't claim to be some sort of deeply caring soul.

I like pits okay (they're interesting dogs and are a part of American history), I could probably deal with having one, and plenty of people at my ostensibly no pits allowed complex have one. Without exception, they are not pleased to see my dog, and they don't seem to be happy with the 0 exercise they get each day. So, I'm glad I have an old ACD mix who just farts around and is a sentient footwarmer.

Even for someone like me who couldn't stop being batshit about them if I tried, they're exhausting. Crate and rotate gets old. Worrying about your other pets gets old. Making sure there are no toys, bones, sticks, or interesting leaves in the yard that could potentially cause a fight gets old. The energy levels get old, especially since you have to come up with creative outlets for them because what they REALLY want to do is rip off each other's faces. Watching doors, watching baby gates, having to be constantly aware of where your dog is and what it is doing gets old. Not being able to take them to dog parks and a lot of public places gets old for a lot of people. Dealing with their carefully-managed-through-training dog rage in such a way that keeps them from murdering each other, but doesnt shut them down so much they stop giving you warnings, gets old. Watching them keep score of every interaction you have with a dog that isn't them and making sure you manage that reaction in such a way that they don't add that dog to their permanent poo poo list gets old. Working to keep them from being reactive on leash towards other dogs in public gets old. I have absolutely no idea why any sane person who just wants a family pet would do it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i have a pitbull mix and i teach him to bite everyone

but we should totally put him down and let me get another dog

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cole posted:

I'm pretty sure no one is suggesting that, but if you must...

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Cole posted:

ok

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Cole posted:

okay have fun

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

wtftastic posted:

I honestly don't understand why rescue ladies and fur moms super into pits just can't be honest.

I think they're mostly trying to be honest, they're just kind of ignorant. I know a bunch of those types and they've all lucked out with pretty manageable, easygoing dogs for the most part, and the ones they come across that aren't like that always have some tragic story (BAIT DOGS!!!) that they spin to explain it. I mean, I know one who honestly believes there's no innate difference between her pit and my ACDs because she took a beginner herding class and her pit managed to chase some sheep around and not kill them. It's a bit astonishing to hear her talk because she's so sure she's an expert yet she's so wrong.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
yesterday i saw two pit enthusiasts having a very earnest conversation about how it's basically impossible to breed genetically human or dog aggressive dogs and nodding sagely at each other and it reminded me of this thread

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

^^^^^^^^Reason #3274039443 I don't tell people I have pit bulls when they ask what kind of dogs I have, I've lost the ability to make pleasant sounds and faces at this poo poo so just ugh no

Abutiu posted:

I think they're mostly trying to be honest, they're just kind of ignorant. I know a bunch of those types and they've all lucked out with pretty manageable, easygoing dogs for the most part, and the ones they come across that aren't like that always have some tragic story (BAIT DOGS!!!) that they spin to explain it. I mean, I know one who honestly believes there's no innate difference between her pit and my ACDs because she took a beginner herding class and her pit managed to chase some sheep around and not kill them. It's a bit astonishing to hear her talk because she's so sure she's an expert yet she's so wrong.

They're all this way. Normal dog owners don't have to corner you and shriek everything they think they know about their dogs breed in your face, because normal dog owners are usually self aware enough to know that they don't know a poo poo ton about whatever dog they picked and whatever it is just a dog. Every idiot who adopts a shelter pit is suddenly an expert because they read some really stupid rescue sites and a few pamphlets and they can't shut the gently caress up about it. Attempting to gently nudge them away from being an idiot just gets you screamed at and called ignorant, and after the millionth person was like "ARE YOU LITERALLY A DOG FIGHTER HUH" at me I finally stopped trying. Things were so much better before every basic bitch on earth had to ~save~ a pit bull and I can't wait for them to move the gently caress on to something else.

When the only people who know anything about the breed are literally dog fighters, there's no hope for the general pet owning public because they're OBVIOUSLY not going to read books by or take advice from *gasp* dog fighters. It's like if everyone decided border collies were the next big thing, declared sheep herding illegal, "rescued" all of the border collies from sheep herders, claimed that they don't naturally herd and herding was BEATEN INTO THEM by VIOLENT SHEEP HERDERS and they were FORCED to chase and bite sheep ALL DAY. Then they stuck them in pet homes where they were "rehabilitated" by being corrected for ever showing any sign of herding drive, and the shut down shells of former herding dogs paraded around as ~proof~ that not all border collies bite sheep!! They can be fixed!!!

After a few years, literally saying "hey you might want to keep in mind that border collies are high energy, and they might nip your kids and stuff if you don't give them proper outlets, and they can be pretty prey driven around small animals because you know, they were bred to herd sheep" gets you screamed at and accused of supporting Abusive Sheep Herding because EVERYONE knows that border collies are no more likely so have herding drive than any other dog, and it is all in how they are raised!!!! Point that person towards a book written by a sheep herder about Border Collies (because they, you know, developed the breed, for herding sheep, so know the most about how they work) and WOAH THERE, what makes you think they would read SHEEP HERDING PROPOGANDA?? ARE YOU A SHEEP HERDER?? MAYBE YOU SHOULD EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT BORDER COLLIES BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH, MINE WOULD NEVER NIP A KID.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Seriously that's why even though I am a rescuelady momposter extraordinaire I totally get your frustration. I hate the "it's all in how you raise them" thing enough with herding breeds because people still buy into it and then create neurotic messes, and we don't even usually have the same aggression and social issues to deal with. I don't get why "certain breeds have been selectively bred for generations to act a certain way; when you get one, assume it will act that way" is a controversial stance.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Superconsndar posted:

^^^^^^^^Reason #3274039443 I don't tell people I have pit bulls when they ask what kind of dogs I have, I've lost the ability to make pleasant sounds and faces at this poo poo so just ugh no

They're all this way. Normal dog owners don't have to corner you and shriek everything they think they know about their dogs breed in your face, because normal dog owners are usually self aware enough to know that they don't know a poo poo ton about whatever dog they picked and whatever it is just a dog. Every idiot who adopts a shelter pit is suddenly an expert because they read some really stupid rescue sites and a few pamphlets and they can't shut the gently caress up about it. Attempting to gently nudge them away from being an idiot just gets you screamed at and called ignorant, and after the millionth person was like "ARE YOU LITERALLY A DOG FIGHTER HUH" at me I finally stopped trying. Things were so much better before every basic bitch on earth had to ~save~ a pit bull and I can't wait for them to move the gently caress on to something else.

When the only people who know anything about the breed are literally dog fighters, there's no hope for the general pet owning public because they're OBVIOUSLY not going to read books by or take advice from *gasp* dog fighters. It's like if everyone decided border collies were the next big thing, declared sheep herding illegal, "rescued" all of the border collies from sheep herders, claimed that they don't naturally herd and herding was BEATEN INTO THEM by VIOLENT SHEEP HERDERS and they were FORCED to chase and bite sheep ALL DAY. Then they stuck them in pet homes where they were "rehabilitated" by being corrected for ever showing any sign of herding drive, and the shut down shells of former herding dogs paraded around as ~proof~ that not all border collies bite sheep!! They can be fixed!!!

After a few years, literally saying "hey you might want to keep in mind that border collies are high energy, and they might nip your kids and stuff if you don't give them proper outlets, and they can be pretty prey driven around small animals because you know, they were bred to herd sheep" gets you screamed at and accused of supporting Abusive Sheep Herding because EVERYONE knows that border collies are no more likely so have herding drive than any other dog, and it is all in how they are raised!!!! Point that person towards a book written by a sheep herder about Border Collies (because they, you know, developed the breed, for herding sheep, so know the most about how they work) and WOAH THERE, what makes you think they would read SHEEP HERDING PROPOGANDA?? ARE YOU A SHEEP HERDER?? MAYBE YOU SHOULD EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT BORDER COLLIES BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH, MINE WOULD NEVER NIP A KID.

Keep singing little bird.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Personally, my least favorite bit about that whole narrative is how every pit with any kind of scarring or behavioral issue obviously must have been a bait dog and will get better with a bit of love and security and no he doesn't need special management, he's a NANNY DOG and he will be JUST FINE. This is probably because I'm not a dog person so the bastardization and loss of heritage of a breed doesn't bother me in and of itself.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Superconsndar posted:

claimed that they don't naturally herd and herding was BEATEN INTO THEM by VIOLENT SHEEP HERDERS and they were FORCED to chase and bite sheep ALL DAY. Then they stuck them in pet homes where they were "rehabilitated" by being corrected for ever showing any sign of herding drive, and the shut down shells of former herding dogs paraded around as ~proof~ that not all border collies bite sheep!! They can be fixed!!!

lol this is pretty much exactly whats happened with GSDs. p much any time we do protection in a public area some hysterical furmom shrieks at me for being a horrible dog abuser because why else would he be biting that man huh???

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Keep singing little bird.

I Know Why The Caged Briddu Sings

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Haha I'm proud to have been the first one to call this guy out and help cause this hilarious train wreck of a thread. Like I don't get why anyone would go out of their way to get a pitbull. I get the impression it's mostly either A) poor dumb plebs who like big mean scary dogs that are easily obtainable. B) well meaning liberals who seem to want to get one because of all the pitbull propaganda so they can prove how sweet and harmless the breed is.

They're really ugly too bleh.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

adebisi lives posted:

Haha I'm proud to have been the first one to call this guy out and help cause this hilarious train wreck of a thread. Like I don't get why anyone would go out of their way to get a pitbull. I get the impression it's mostly either A) poor dumb plebs who like big mean scary dogs that are easily obtainable. B) well meaning liberals who seem to want to get one because of all the pitbull propaganda so they can prove how sweet and harmless the breed is.

Hey now

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

adebisi lives posted:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

mine are beautiful and perfect

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No you see his tail is up, they're just playing!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
camera not covered in blood? still playing

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Once when my mother was visiting with her dumb lab, I walked in just as she was about to let one of the shitbulls out of their crate to "play" with him because "she let them sniff through the bars of the crate" (UGH WHY) "and your dogs tail was wagging the whole time!!!"

I'm sure it was wagging; smearing her dog across the house would have been the highlight of his week

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

Once when my mother was visiting with her dumb lab, I walked in just as she was about to let one of the shitbulls out of their crate to "play" with him because "she let them sniff through the bars of the crate" (UGH WHY) "and your dogs tail was wagging the whole time!!!"

I'm sure it was wagging; smearing her dog across the house would have been the highlight of his week

"He tore his face off through the crate bars like wet spaghetti! I don't understand!"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

"It's like he just snapped!!! His tail was wagging and everything!!"

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

"It's like he just snapped!!! His tail was wagging and everything!!"

^^^^^^^^^^^^ reality itt

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
'the gun just went off in her face for no reason at all after I loaded and unsafed it!'

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I have a pit mix in the shelter at the moment and I am absolutely ready to talk someone unprepared and inexperienced out of adopting him. He's a transfer in from a seizure in another state. He is a beautiful dog, but he absolutely cannot go into a home with cats, he is fearful of bigger dogs and traffic and reacts by going loving nuts and showing teeth and he is 80 pounds of loving muscle. He needs an experienced and dedicated person to learn how to behave, and you cannot let your guard down for a good six years or so, cause he's only a year old. And still don't after then! He is powerful and if he jams out, he could kill a small thing or really injure an adult person. We don't know a thing about him other than that his shots are current, because we are not privy to the details of his seizure, other than that is was apparently not voluntary.
We do home checks for every dog adoption, and I would not adopt to a home with cats, small children, inadequate containment and a person inexperienced in big powerful breeds. I don't think you should do it, OP. There will be a right person for this dog, but it's not you. And there will be a right dog for you too, but not this one.
You wouldn't marry someone after one first date, don't marry a dog after one date either.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

So loving glad the dumbshits who get birds keep out of the bird crazies megathread.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shithouse Dave posted:

don't marry a dog after one date either.

The Republicans Were Right About Gay Marriage After All

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I brought the pit bull back, calm your slavering rage filled tits every one.

Were looking at a wire haired terrier puppy now. That's probably the lumpy family dog more my speed right?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 23, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

What happened?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The pit bull murdered my cat, maimed my son and made my wife a lesbian.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

terriers are also noted for their prey drive and (in some breeds) tendency for DA. are you back at the same shelter? I'd REALLY consider going through a different one, or a private rescue that fosters their dogs. somewhere that will actually put in the effort to match you to a dog that will work for your situation rather than leaving it to you to figure it out.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The pit bull murdered my cat, maimed my son and made my wife a lesbian.

Seriously, why did you return the dog to the shelter?
Are you just trying to be inflammatory?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hey you can admit you were wrong without being inflammatory. We're still willing to help but if you're going to be a dick about the whole thing then why bother.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I don't really care about the specifics of why the dog was returned, it was pretty obvious that this wasn't a good fit. good on the OP for admitting that early.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

But my burning curiosity! :saddowns:
And if he does want help with adopting dogs in the near future then it might help to know what the problem was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
tbh I'd trust some pits around cats sooner than a terrier. I'm sure terriers with no prey drive somehow exist somewhere, but I've never seen one.

Seriously dude, get a drat older Lab mix or something. You want an easy lovebug type dog. Older Lab or pet shepherd mixes are very common and make excellent first dogs for families with young children. Years of shelter/adoption counseling experience talking here.

If you have your heart set on a more difficult breed, again, spend some time looking for an older, proven dog. I have an ACD/border collie mix who is literally the nicest dog ever and has never been destructive or aggressive and even when young could go for weeks on just mild exercise then go with me on a 14-mile day hike and be fine with all of it. These dogs exist! But they are basically unicorns because they are so rare! I have 2 other ACDs and have known many border collies and other ACDs and they're all loving nuts and need hours of exercise every day and an actual job. Your odds of finding a calm working breed dog increase if you're open to older pets who have proven temperaments. And feel-good bonus, older dogs are also less adoptable because people are dumb and look at adopting a dog in terms of returning on an investment, so you'll be helping out a good dog who deserves to have a loving home.

edit: I realize I'm careposting to someone who is probably trolling but IDK

Abutiu fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread