Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Fully quoting every post Lumpen has made about me here:

Lumpen posted:

If Punt, DHD, and Grandi all flip Scum, it will not surprise me.

Everyone please post more.

Lumpen posted:

*yawn* This all feels so familiar.
##Vote grandicap

grandi remains one of my favorite players and can post amazingly when engaged, but unfortunately I suspect he drew Scum this game and begging off with the flu, while I don't doubt it's truthfulness, does not serve as a good excuse for lurking. His posting also represents my strongest Scum ping, particularly when he openly declared Punt Scum but then didn't vote it, telegraphed a trial balloon on me, and then came back to the thread to peace out and excuse his scummy posting about Punt as "should have been a Grandinote, not a real thing". However, he straight-up said:

and that does not equal "Grandinote" stuff.

Grandi and Punt have each postured suspicion on each other, I am curious whether either of them will pony up a vote on it, but I frankly doubt it. The way they've interacted, and the structure of those posts, indicate Scumbuddy Distancing.
Given all the interactions, posts, and evidence, my current best conclusion remains that Grandi, Punt, and DHD are Scum.

Please put a votefinder link in OP, Ixtlilton.

Lumpen posted:

Assuming Grandicap will be replaced, I will shift down the list.
##Vote Puntification

My top suspects remain Punt, DHD, and Grandicap.

Lumpen posted:

This demonstrates a blatant disregard for the evidence of the thread, and I expect Townies will remember differently.

Lumpen posted:

I think you'll end up proven wrong about Punt, Mills, but I will vote for any of the three of Punt/DHD/grandi, and I will stick around until deadline.

Lumpen posted:

I request a final votecount for D1 and a link to Votefinder in the OP, please.

I continue to prefer lynching Grandicap, DHD, Puntification.

I mention that nightkilling Tremendous Taste, a useless lurker, seems very Grandicappian. I applaud the choice.

I wish to bring attention to the fact that Hal Incandenza has only 10 posts, which is less than Tremendous Taste.

Hal said to me, D1:

No more detailed reads came forth. Hal did not vote at all D1 despite openly accusing Grandicap. Based on the above post I can see a possibility Hal as Scum rather than Grandicap.

Of those 4 suspects, given that Punt didn't get lynched due to Mills preferring DHD, I suggest lynching DHD.
##Vote DHD

I have no idea what your supposed case is on me, and I can only assume you are voting me entirely because I have suspected you openly and you forgot you hadn't actually ever made a case on me other than mentioning my name a lot. The last post I quoted also bothers me where you make a case with some evidence and then just throw out a vote on a third person with little reasoning at all. This is not someone looking for scum.

##vote Lumpen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuckHuntDog posted:

This is not someone looking for scum.

Rather Lumpen has played as someone who found "scum" and figures that he couldn't be wrong after the first shot. He really has refused to look into other people's cases.

Kumbamontu posted:

This is a pretty blatant misread of how Hal normally posts, I think. This is admittedly the weakest point against 100yrs as I don't know how extensive a history he has playing with Hal.

I've honestly forgotten most meta since I've gone through such long stretches of not playing and I don't actually read other games other than the ones I play. Same reason why I can't remember if Lumpen usually tunnels but I feel he has done this in other things games I've played with him and where he turned out to be scum.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Puntification posted:

How does punt argue in bad faith? A scum argues in bad faith by nature. Punt is scum is not the proposition or conclusion of his arguments they are axiomatic to them, he is working backwards from his position that I am scum to make his arguments, I do like the irony that his arguments are about people arguing in bad faith because one of us definitely is.

You should probably also note that not only have neither of me or grandi flipped but Lumpen and I were tied for vote leader when I went to bed before the deadline with grandicap on 1 vote.

I'm not gonna vote anyone else but lumpen today. ##vote lumpen

I agree that Lumpen was posting in bad faith. I dislike his claim that his case was a trap. His argument is that he made a scummy post because the only people who would comment on that are scum. Then when two people commented on it (Punt and myself) he only thinks one of us are scum.

Why would scum be the only ones to comment on a bad case?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kumbamontu posted:

Here to bring a fresh set of sort of drunk eyes to this game. 100yrs is scum, and here is why.

Not to disregard your vote but I think it should somewhat matter what your state of mind seemed to be when you posted.

Kumbamontu posted:

As mentioned previously, at best this seems like a pointless distraction. At worst, obfuscating one's natural word choice is a scummy thing to do in and of itself.

Consider it a sort of post restriction? Either way I don't think it has completely altered the way I write or made it obfuscating. If anything not using 'to be' has just become more frustrating more than anything else. Out of all your points this is the one I'd like best for you to not take into consideration since it has nothing to do with anything.

Kumbamontu posted:

There is something about this particular phrase that bothers me but I can't quite articulate it.

Probably the exclamation point. I don't think he said things correctly in his subsequent post, but it did surprise me that everyone thought he just "me too'd" Wall Monitor. It seemed as if they hadn't bothered to really read his post.

Kumbamontu posted:

I think this is the worst one, particularly the bolded bit. Looking for "a conclusive vote" D1 reeks of scum trying too hard to appear earnest.

I used a bad word to say what I wanted I guess. It's arrogant to think there'd be a conclusive absolute choice on D1 but really I wanted a vote I could vote with comfort. At the time I voted Punt I felt comfortable that no better choice existed. He seemed the most scummy. But like I realized today seeming scummy doesn't make one necessarily scum.

Kumbamontu posted:

This is a very silly gotcha.

I don't think so. I didn't make the best case in the world, but I think pointing out a supposedly town player's hypocrisy and/or sincerity can help reveal their alignment.

Kumbamontu posted:

100yrs speaking in terms of absolutes, as if he knows more than he should about this particular scum team's motivations.

Speaking of silly gotcha's: I wrote that in response to Lumpen's thought on Taste's death. It's a bad assumption to begin with since taste's post seems like a joke. Take it as you will, if I had rolled scum that post would result in Taste's death.

Look through my post history if you want. I think I've been pretty open minded and transparent with my thought process. I'm not trying to confuse anyone and at worst I will end up leading people in the wrong direction from having bad opinions, but not deceitful ones.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lumpen posted:

Of those 4 suspects, given that Punt didn't get lynched due to Mills preferring DHD, I suggest lynching DHD.
##Vote DHD

Lumpen, why is DHD your top choice to vote? What does Mills have to do with it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I feel like I can follow most of Lumpen's train of thought and because of that I don't read him as scum.

I was tired last night and this post bothers me. I should've thought it through more because he time I read Lumpen on my own he seems fine, but everyone time someone brings up things against him he stands out. I don't know why I can't seem to get around that. I'll try again later tonight.

Also, being tired led me to be less rigorous than I try to play. drat the consequences but ##unvote. I can't find fault in Hal's posts at all and I've tried but I keep coming up with nothing. I like his thoughts I like his style, he seems legit. I don't like how he's hardly posted but poo poo happens. I guess Hal I want say post more.

To conclude I still need to do a better read of DHD and Lumpen. I would still vote $8 in respects to Ernie.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Lumpen, why is DHD your top choice to vote? What does Mills have to do with it?

I don't know what Mills has to do with it specifically but Mills didn't vote Punt on D1 to vote DHD, so I guess Lumpen feels he can garner Mills support by going after DHD? If so, what DHD says about Lumpen not actually scum hunting, makes more sense.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ernie. posted:

Thick as in any cases I'd make would have to be incredibly conceited. Not thick as in chock-full of content.

Mills wouldn't lurk as scum.

Is Mills lurking? It's a relatively quiet game overall, so I didn't really think he was. Why do you think he is?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

I agree about Mills. I have NO IDEA what you are talking about with 8bux though. I admit I have like no meta feel at all there, but you seem to feel awfully strong about this one.

This strikes me as bizarre. Hal, are you saying you have no idea how 8bux usually plays?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Mills posted:

I read Punt as town. I tried to defend Punt, no one would listen, I wasn't going to vote for him so :shrug:

I would be happiest voting Exakt or DHD for the same reasons as yesterday but whatever. ##vote 8Bux

Both 8bux and DHD have one vote here, so why does Mills vote for 8bux instead of his preferred option of DHD?

Jumping on a lurker lynch over a player he would prefer to vote. Considering that Mills held up the lynch on Punt specifically to vote DHD on D1 this seems strange.

##vote mills

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Punt just disengage with lumpen for like 24 hrs and try to scum hunt at least

Yeah that's fair enough, I'll look at other people while I wait for the rest of you to realise how Right and Just it is to plorp lumpen.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Grandicap posted:

If Punt flips scum, fv is town, if not, this is a bad post.

The implication about Fv being predicated on my mislynch makes me feel like he knows my alignment already and is trying to use it against someone else here, seems like it has a chainy quality to it imo.

Ernie. posted:

hmm

##vote eightbux

yesterday his play was cautious and not at all town and carefree

and he didn't try to stop any cases, leaving his options open

Ernie. posted:

An open and shut case is this: Eightbux stopped joking but didn't stop posting. He felt like the only thing he could comment on is replacements as opposed to who the scum are. He's having difficulty being himself.

This feels a bit like a case based on a lack of content/activity, it could be he didn't do these things cos of being scum but it seems a weak reason to vote him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I would still vote $8 in respects to Ernie.

I really don't like this, you were previously skeptical of ernie's case but will go along with it anyway?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lumpen posted:

I considered Ernie's demand to vote 8bux. His posting sucks in that I find it sparse and lacking meaningful content. I do not especially suspect him because of that. In his favor, his vote and posting agrees with my own suspicion of Grandicap, which I would expect from a fellow Townie. Clearer?

Yes, that is actually clearer, thank you!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This strikes me as bizarre. Hal, are you saying you have no idea how 8bux usually plays?

Pretty much. I haven't played with 8bux in quite some time and I don't have any feel for what is "normal". Is that so hard to believe?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Puntification posted:

This feels a bit like a case based on a lack of content/activity, it could be he didn't do these things cos of being scum but it seems a weak reason to vote him.

I use these words a lot but they're no less true! This is a weak case on anyone but eightbux. Eightbux is the kind of dude who spreads cheer and happiness and townieness all over the place. Here he's apparently undecided on even the simplest of binary decisions!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is Mills lurking? It's a relatively quiet game overall, so I didn't really think he was. Why do you think he is?

Because Mills prides himself on being the #1 poster in the thread.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Both 8bux and DHD have one vote here, so why does Mills vote for 8bux instead of his preferred option of DHD?

Jumping on a lurker lynch over a player he would prefer to vote. Considering that Mills held up the lynch on Punt specifically to vote DHD on D1 this seems strange.

##vote mills

Because he's voting with me. Because we're frands.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DuckHuntDog posted:

Fully quoting every post Lumpen has made about me here:

This is probably the strongest point against Lumpen. DHD seems like a name he pulled out of a hat to call scum and even with Grandi and Punt it feels like he made a couple of points against them early on and then he's really only followed up with "well notice they didn't talk about each other" and a few jabs at people who don't agree with his locked-in scum list. I don't think it is super unusual for Lumpen to be tunneled on someone, but being tunneled on three people with no serious attempts to expand or push his case other than "I still want to vote these people" IS unusual for him.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

Because he's voting with me. Because we're frands.

That may be, but it is still a weird vote when he starts with "hey I really prefer these two people who I said were scum yesterday" and then is like, whatever, I am not going to make any attempt to follow up but instead just go with the flow and vote 8bux.

There are a lot of people just shrugging their shoulders and voting easy votes in this game so far.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I agree with Mr. Hal Incandenza. It's the easy votes we must avoid, therefore we must all mob 8bux.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am still in this game but am having trouble getting into it. I am putting aside a block of time for a reread tonight.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I did a re-read to figure out what exactly got me on DHD, and in the process of that, I recognized that I have fallen into a wish-tunnel after I dropped my "solve the game" 3-suspect post. Best I had on DHD was that he was low in the postcount at the time and seemed connected with Punt and Grandi through the thrust of his posting, which I found insincere and wishy-washy.

So about that wish-tunnel, I feel frustrated that there was a no-lynch to deny me a flip on any of my suspects.

I concede that I have been tunneled and will need to reconsider things.

I still have bad feelings about Grandicap most, Punt still seems Scummy but mostly just mad (and that being mad reads somewhat Town, the righteous indignation seems sincere), and DHD is no longer so much of a lurker. I didn't have all that much on him besides a desire for my gut-prediction post to turn out correct.

The person I have the strongest and best justified feelings about is Grandicap, re: the "Grandinote" stuff, and directly calling Punt Scum but not voting it. And the apologetic lurking.
##Vote Grandicap

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Puntification posted:

I really don't like this, you were previously skeptical of ernie's case but will go along with it anyway?

Where's the skepticism?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The fact that he has lurked like a champ and made no real content yesterday make for fine reasons to vote him. But wouldn't others that have played provide more open and shut cases?

$8 on his own makes a fine lurker execution. I did feel and do feel that we could have a more solid case on anyone with more post content. I do feel Ernie's trustworthy/town enough to want to trust him though that's mainly a gut feeling based on how he hasn't had terribly scummy posts.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuckHuntDog posted:

What are you trying to accomplish by throwing poo poo on whatever lurker, Lumpen? It doesn't feel like your typical scumhunting.

DuckHuntDog posted:

I was legit curious if it was something only I was seeing. How is that a "useless snipe"? I get that it might be the sort of passive case scum might use to start suspicion on someone, but that is because it was just a hunch and I wasn't that certain given I haven't played with Lumpen (or at all) lately.

I couldn't find anything scummier than these two posts by DHD. Their assertion that "I was legit curious if it was something only I was seeing," cannot be understood from his former post. I don't have a 'gotcha' here or anything but I cannot come up with anything else that puts them in a bad light. Their posts actually come off as someone who is willing to debate about points of view and is open to trying to see things from other points of view if necessary.

Mills posted:

I would be happiest voting Exakt or DHD for the same reasons as yesterday but whatever. ##vote 8Bux

You only had one post of theirs listed as your reason. I don't get your reason. It'd help me to hear your explanation. That goes for all the other people that wanted to vote DHD, Mills clearly thought that people would vote them since he felt the vote would swing that way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hal avoided my question, ergo scum. I'll be back for deadline, travelling for the next two days.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Hal avoided my question, ergo scum. I'll be back for deadline, travelling for the next two days.

WHAT QUESTION???

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

What's your favourite cereal?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

anyone who doesn't say

is scum

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hal Incandenza posted:

WHAT QUESTION???
I think it was an accusation. I honestly already lost interest!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yes, that is actually clearer, thank you!

Pretty much. I haven't played with 8bux in quite some time and I don't have any feel for what is "normal". Is that so hard to believe?

Do you need to know what is normal to comment on Ernie's original point that 8bux isn't posting much and was commenting on replacements rather than gameplay?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lumpen posted:

Given all the interactions, posts, and evidence, my current best conclusion remains that Grandi, Punt, and DHD are Scum.

You seem to have realized how unfair it came off when you accused DHD just because he threw suspicion on you so yeah.

Lumpen posted:

I completely agree that agreeing with wall monitor and jumping on his reads instead of coming up with something original constitutes Scummy behavior. It strikes me, as well, as something a Scum would try to do since a manufactured read might come off as awkward, but that by jumping on someone else's opinion on can participate while still staying under the radar.

Not actually a point but I hope Lumpen sees the irony in this post because it made me laugh.

That said Lumpen still reads ok to me. He comes off a bit dickish and hardheaded and I wouldn't say he reads townie but I can't label him scum. This presents a problem because out of those I most distrusted last night (Lumpen, Hal, Mills, DHD, and Grandicap) I either can't see anything exceptionally scummy and even in some cases they come off as town (such as Hal). The problem with our D1 ended up being that we had such little content and no flip that I feel that I've been unable to advance.

As I can't find proof of anyone actually being scummier than $8 and Ernie really seems to want this ##vote Eight Dollars.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A question I had after reading this:

Lumpen posted:

I suspect he drew Scum this game and begging off with the flu, while I don't doubt it's truthfulness, does not serve as a good excuse for lurking.

Do a lot players who roll scum lurk more often/feel less like playing?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Not actually a point but I hope Lumpen sees the irony in this post because it made me laugh.
Ugh, read the immediately preceding post. I guess I should have quoted it, did I not quote it? Apparently this particular post whooshed over both you and f_v in a major way.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do a lot players who roll scum lurk more often/feel less like playing?
Lurking remains the single most effective Scum strategy in our community. Many aspects of the structure of the game impose a strong incentive for Scum to excuse themselves and say as little as possible, and in my experience since we are very nice and give pass to anyone who posts about any IRL issue, Scum regularly use that to great advantage for lazy wins.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dr. Hurt replaces Eight Dollars!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Lumpen (2): Puntification, DuckHuntDog
Ernie. (1): Rascyc, Rascyc, Mills
Grandicap (1): Lumpen
Hal Incandenza (1): Rascyc, 100YrsofAttitude, 100YrsofAttitude
100YrsofAttitude (1): Kumbamontu
Mills (1): fiery_valkyrie
DuckHuntDog (0): Lumpen, Lumpen

Not Voting (6): 100YrsofAttitude, Dr. Hurt, Ernie., Grandicap, Hal Incandenza, wall monitor

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is March 06th, 2015 at midnight EST -- that's in about 2 days, 7 hours.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:shrug:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

that's a new scum strategy to me

well i'll take care of it after gymming today

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ixtlilton posted:

Dr. Hurt replaces Eight Dollars!

Yarp.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Scum who are tactically lurking do not tend to replace out, in my experience.

Pretty sure Grandi will flip Scum and Dr. Hurt won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Grandicap posted:

I am still in this game but am having trouble getting into it. I am putting aside a block of time for a reread tonight.
Gonna hold you to this. If Town, please make it obvious with some effort.

• Locked thread