Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I found Honeymoon to be a decent movie, and worth watching. It is the type of movie I have Netflix for (rarely do I discover something great on Netflix that I haven't watched already by another means).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I hate everything about this clip except the dude it's prom guy.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I hate everything about this clip except the dude it's prom guy.

Completely agree.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I watched Detention. I know I'm not the first person to say this, everyone has said it, but I can't not say it. What the gently caress was that movie?! One of the reviews on Netflix said it was like a shark, in that a shark needs to keep swimming or else it will die. Detention can't stay still at any point, each scene seems to last for no longer than 2 minutes. It's a clusterfuck. I lost count of the times I thought, "Oh, okay, this scene is about...gently caress, it shifted again." I think I like it, but mainly because I appreciate how balls out crazy it went. I was also worried this thread had built up the insanity too much. It did not even scratch the surface.

I'm trying very hard to not say anything about what the movie is actually about. Partially because it's hard to sum up, but also because I think going in blind helps. It's impressive it was even made in the first place.

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Torque, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

edit: Crank != Torque.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 21, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Crank is definitely insane. Awesome, too, I think. Being a big fan of Statham might help.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Both Cranks are incredible experiences. Get yourself a six pack of cheap horrible energy drink and double bill those fuckers.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Follow it all up with Gamer and you're set.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

thrawn527 posted:

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Crank, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

Crank and Crank 2 are both fun, but the movie you're thinking of is Torque, which is pretty good. It's like half the cast and crew recognized the joke, and half didn't.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

thrawn527 posted:

I watched Detention. I know I'm not the first person to say this, everyone has said it, but I can't not say it. What the gently caress was that movie?! One of the reviews on Netflix said it was like a shark, in that a shark needs to keep swimming or else it will die. Detention can't stay still at any point, each scene seems to last for no longer than 2 minutes. It's a clusterfuck. I lost count of the times I thought, "Oh, okay, this scene is about...gently caress, it shifted again." I think I like it, but mainly because I appreciate how balls out crazy it went. I was also worried this thread had built up the insanity too much. It did not even scratch the surface.

I'm trying very hard to not say anything about what the movie is actually about. Partially because it's hard to sum up, but also because I think going in blind helps. It's impressive it was even made in the first place.

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Crank, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

I saw it as a bunch of parodies of action and horror movies crammed together. I liked it. I think it's definitely divisive. People will either love it or hate it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Every time you guys mention Detention I think of the Dolph Lundgren flick. I wish that was on Netflix.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Crank and Crank 2 are both fun, but the movie you're thinking of is Torque, which is pretty good. It's like half the cast and crew recognized the joke, and half didn't.

Oh drat, you're right, I did mean Torque.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

thrawn527 posted:

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Torque, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

edit: Crank != Torque.

This might answer your question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1YV2T-4wgs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

...alright well now I need to watch Torque.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Watch The Overnighters, a documentary that just went up on Netflix about a North Dakota pastor who takes in the various men, some with shady backgrounds, who come to his town looking for work from the oil boom.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Samfucius posted:

I don't think it has been posted in this thread yet, so if you all haven't been watching the 30 for 30's on Netflix, get on it. You absolutely do not have to be a sports person, almost all of them are really fascinating stories in their own right that just so happen to involve sports. I care about Oregon Duck football and pretty much nothing else in all of sports, and I have loved every one I have watched.

If you get overwhelmed by the number of options, I highly recommend The U, June 17 1994, Survive and Advance, and The Two Escobars. Seriously though, I have yet to see a bad one and some have made me tear up.

Seriously every 30 for 30 seems great, except the Ice Cube one about the Raiders. Its like Cube just wanted to make a movie about himself and loosely tied it into the LA Raiders.

My two absolute favorites aren't on Netflix but are easy to find on youtube in their entirety:
Catching Hell, which is about a fan who interfered with a foul ball and the weird tendencies for fans to assign scape goats in sports to people who don't deserve it

And Of Miracles & Men, about the Soviet team that lost the Miracle on Ice, but from the Soviet perspective. It's utterly fascinating and everyone should watch it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The temporary pull down got me to finally get around and watch peep show in order. I'm in season 5 right now and It's seriously gotta be one of the funniest shows ever.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NESguerilla posted:

The temporary pull down got me to finally get around and watch peep show in order. I'm in season 5 right now and It's seriously gotta be one of the funniest shows ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYOHzAAwaW4&t=65s

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

The dog episode is probably the most beautifully profane bit of television I've ever had the privilege of watching. It is a masterpiece.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

Watch The Overnighters, a documentary that just went up on Netflix about a North Dakota pastor who takes in the various men, some with shady backgrounds, who come to his town looking for work from the oil boom.

Been really looking forward to this one. Thanks!!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I never watch documentaries twice, and I broke that trend for Survive and Advance. I was two when all of it was going down and now I sincerely regret I wasn't able to watch every game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Chichevache posted:

The dog episode is probably the most beautifully profane bit of television I've ever had the privilege of watching. It is a masterpiece.

There's a moment where he absent-mindedly licks his fingers and it's just terrific

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just finished watching Frank on Netflix, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I had no idea what to expect going into it.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody else mention it. I'm also pretty surprised it's billed as a comedy, because while it's quirky and has a few funny moments, it gets pretty drat dark in places.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Did the ending mess you up?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just received an email notifying me that Robocop 2014 was just added. What's the general consensus on it? The pg-13 rating is off-putting considering the content of the originals.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I just received an email notifying me that Robocop 2014 was just added. What's the general consensus on it? The pg-13 rating is off-putting considering the content of the originals.

It's okay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like it a great deal but would not bother if you just want ultraviolence.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

It's like the original with all the soul taken out of it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's a Sci-Fi channel original movie with heart and a suitable budget. It was one of the best action movies of last year, though it's probably better if you go into it thinking of it as a remake of The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

It was one of the best action movies of last year
Looks like someone didn't see John Wick, The Raid 2, Lucy or Edge Of Tomorrow :haw:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Looks like someone didn't see John Wick, The Raid 2, Lucy or Edge Of Tomorrow :haw:

I saw The Raid 2 (one of my top ten of the year) and Lucy (one of my favorites which wasn't necessarily top ten). And RoboCop is better than Edge of Tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, I'll say this - RoboCop is definitely a better remake of The Brain That Wouldn't Die than Edge of Tomorrow was a remake of The Americanization of Emily.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

K. Waste posted:

It's a Sci-Fi channel original movie with heart and a suitable budget. It was one of the best action movies of last year, though it's probably better if you go into it thinking of it as a remake of The Brain That Wouldn't Die.

I thought the action was the weakest part of the movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The cold open, the cafe gun fight, the assault on the warehouse, and the final tower raid are all competently-to-well shot scenes. The only scene that doesn't work in this regard is literally the one that looks like a video game and is constantly being interrupted by Gary Oldman commenting on why everything looks so mechanical and unexciting.

This is all mute, however, because none of these films mentioned are as good as Fury, but there were plenty of great action films last year, and a lot of them were better than Edge of Tomorrow: The Raid 2, Lucy, Gunday, Age of Extinction, 22 Jump Street, Days of Future Past, Sabotage...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fury is a movie that's going to be remembered very fondly.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Same, but the ideas are solid.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I really have no idea why the theme song for Peep Show is twice as loud as the actual show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

The cold open, the cafe gun fight, the assault on the warehouse, and the final tower raid are all competently-to-well shot scenes. The only scene that doesn't work in this regard is literally the one that looks like a video game and is constantly being interrupted by Gary Oldman commenting on why everything looks so mechanical and unexciting.
I remember like 2 of those and neither of them were exciting at all.

K. Waste posted:

This is all mute, however, because none of these films mentioned are as good as Fury, but there were plenty of great action films last year, and a lot of them were better than Edge of Tomorrow: The Raid 2, Lucy, Gunday, Age of Extinction, 22 Jump Street, Days of Future Past, Sabotage...
Oh come on, you really disliked Edge of Tomorrow that much that you thought a loving Transformers movie was better? What did you think was so wrong with EoT?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh come on, you really disliked Edge of Tomorrow that much that you thought a loving Transformers movie was better? What did you think was so wrong with EoT?

This has nothing to do with my overt dislike for Edge of Tomorrow, but with my relative indifference to it. Age of Extinction did a much better job of making me feel apocalyptic shock and existential dread than Edge of Tomorrow.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

K. Waste posted:

This has nothing to do with my overt dislike for Edge of Tomorrow, but with my relative indifference to it. Age of Extinction did a much better job of making me feel apocalyptic shock and existential dread than Edge of Tomorrow.

If there's one thing the Transformers movies are good at it's instilling a sense of existential dread into the audience.

Edge of Tomorrow is pretty great. Robocop 2014 is okay. There are a couple great scenes, but neither of them involve action.

Edit: If nothing else, Robocop 2014 should be commended for having a scene of body horror in a PG-13 film that's almost as effective as anything in the R-rated original.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did the ending mess you up?

Yeah, it got me. I don't think they could could have written a better ending for the film than that.

I dunno why everyone singles out Fassbender's performance though, I thought the entire cast was great. I was really impressed with Gleeson, I (probably unfairly) wasn't expecting much from him, and Maggie Gyllenhaal nailed it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just noticed Housebound got added to Netflix

New Zealand horror-comedy. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Heads up, The Quest for Fire is not streaming in its original aspect ratio, but in a full screen version that appears to be a VHS transfer.