Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

quote:

Amputated the leg in 21⁄2 minutes, but in his enthusiasm the patient's testicles as well.

This is one of those sentences that is both hilarious and horrifying at the same time. I think it's the use of 'enthusiasm', which makes it sound like he went "gently caress it, might as well take the balls too!" instead of it just being an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

I don't think this person knows what 'tripping balls' actually means.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a pun.

How is that a pun?

I swear I'm not trying to PBF this poo poo, I'm just trying to figure out what the guy is trying to say. I mean, maybe it's because I'm not really familiar with Pokemon but I don't see how "I've got so many balls that I'm hallucinating" works as a pun.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

He has so many pokeballs lying around that they are literally a tripping hazard. As in if you step on them you will very likely trip and fall. Thus you would be "tripping [on] balls". If the joke is still unclear to you then perhaps Highlights for Kids magazine would be more your speed.

Yeah, no poo poo man. I assumed that was the 'joke' he was going for when I first saw it, but it was so stupid that I figured there had to be more that I was missing. 'Tripping balls' and 'tripping on balls' have such completely different meanings that it doesn't even work as a pun, it's just meaningless nonsense.

e: I do appreciate the snappy 'Highlights for Children' burn though, good stuff.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Jun 13, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

I don't think you actually know what a pun is.

Like I said before, I don't really see how that works as a pun but if you'd like to educate me on the matter then knock yourself out. I'm always happy to admit when I'm wrong, so what am I missing?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

Puns are jokes based on homonyms and rhymes having unrelated or contradictory meanings. When you combine the literal meaning of what is said against the implied meaning it creates an absurd dichotomy, which we humans call "hu-mor".

Are there any other simple concepts your would like explained before you return to planet Autism to share what you have learned from us earthlings?

That's pretty good but I didn't ask what a pun was, I asked why you think this particular pun works. So either your reading comprehension is utter poo poo or you're purposely avoiding the question because you'd rather act like a giant shithead for no reason.

So since you're too busy being a sanctimonious rear end in a top hat to understand my point I'll rephrase it:

"The pun that the author is trying to make is awkward and poorly constructed, thus in my eyes it does not actually work as a pun but instead comes across as unrelated nonsense."

Now, since you apparently think that it is indeed a good and funny pun would you care to try and tell me why you think so? Or do you just want to fire off more lovely burns in an attempt to make yourself look smarter than you actually are?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Who What Now posted:

It's not hilarious but it is a pun. Maybe instead of throwing a hissy fit that someone is making jokes in the thread about funny comics you could read what is actually in those posts where your question was already answered. Or are your chronically twisted panties somehow cutting off circulation to your brain?

Look man, I'm not sure where you got the impression that I'm having a hissy fit. I asked a pretty simple question and the first thing you did was act like a dick after misinterpreting what I said (and then get progressively more insulting with every post).

I don't know why you think my point was so objectionable, but this is a lovely derail and it's getting retarded so I'm just gonna say thanks for clarifying your point and lets move on.

E:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Jesus Christ, y'all. Stop. Just loving STOP.

I loving love Fingerpori, it never fails to make me laugh.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jun 14, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

BrigadierSensible posted:

When is new Steve Lichman coming out??? When oh when will our terrible wait be over?

There's a book coming.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Merry Deciever posted:

There is an actual Ctrl Alt Delete show. It is as bad as expected, but also magical in a way....
(people actually payed money for it)

I like how his dead eyed, completely flat expression doesn't change even as he hits the ground head first.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

theflyingorc posted:

lol i don't think USUALLY yoga pants and high heels are worn at the same time

Call me crazy, but I don't think the person who made that has spent a lot of time around women.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
This guy is great.

quote:

Apologies, I have ceased answering mail personally
because of weirdos.

E:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

He also wrote the "foreverially tiedup delitized" texts. There's a dude who knows his fetish, I guess.

I think that might be a different guy; I can't find any links to the delitized stuff on Michael Kelly's page, and he seems to be the one behind the Ulrich Haaarburste cling film stories.

E2: Oh man, there's a Vice interview with Haarburste:

quote:

Where do you like to start your stories? In scene, with dialogue?
Often I start them in the bath. Oh, I see. I think Sam Goldwyn said you should start with an explosion and build up to a climax. I like to start with a social dilemma and build to an apotheosis.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Dec 5, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I always have a split reaction to Moon Over June; on the one hand it's utterly horrifying but on the other those faces are loving hilarious. I get that it's supposed to be wank material, but I can't imagine how anyone could possibly masturbate with those insane faces staring back at them.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

I think that one's an edit; I'm pretty sure the original just said "I made a screaming robot!" but for some reason I'm having trouble finding it.

E: found it

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Paladinus posted:

I don't get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr%E2%80%93Hamilton_duel

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

there wolf posted:

Y'all seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of internet minutia. So there was a series of one-off comics made by two brothers, and the one I remember best had Gandalf standing at the entrance to Bag Eng asking Bilbo to go on an adventure; door opens and a giant worm-Bilbo, the same circumference as the door, comes out and then Gandalf rides him.

You're thinking of Dubblebaby. It looks like they're done making new comics though, seeing as how the site hasn't updated in quite a while.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

You left out part one:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Owl's the kind of person who hangs around horrible destructive people and enables them to be that way just so he can say he isn't the most awful person he knows.

But he still is.

VVV sorry i accidentally wrecked your car starkebn. i had to drive in a hurry to get your birthday cake home in time. also i ate your birthday cake.

I think you're giving him too much credit, he's really just a massive doormat who's mistaken any kind of attention from his 'friends' for good attention. At this point it's like a case of Stockholm syndrome as he's been hanging out with the same people since high school and they've always treated him the same way.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Paladinus posted:

Pretty sure that's not how it works. Looks more like conjunctivitis to me. Also, makes sense considering they are drug users.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but that's exactly how it works. Smoking weed can give you bloodshot eyes, it's one of the easiest jokes you can make about stoners. It's also one of the most common shortcuts used to show that someone's been smoking. That and jokes about Visine.

E:
From the couple of interviews I've seen, it seems like Hanselmann's super hosed up childhood was probably the inspiration for this particular comic.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Aug 23, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Some people would also swap out the picture for goatse (or another shock image) when they saw the jump in bandwidth usage and discovered it was hot linked somewhere like the forums. I haven't seen that happen in forever, though.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Tagichatn posted:

So vanilla. Also how did Mogg get his hair back?

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/gz2xpad.jpg

I think it's just the candy wrapper (used as a makeshift dental dam) making it look like his hair grew back.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Aug 29, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

monkeytennis posted:

Please don't post a link.

The books have a lot of strips that aren't online, so there's a good chance it's not available unless someone wants to scan it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Krinkle posted:

Yeah I took this photo from the last story in the second fletcher hanks compilation. The guy vows to destroy all jungle life after the gorilla tortures him by showing him bones for a year straight. Then fantomah kills him.

I mean I never saw him give a villain a backstory or motivation before, I thought it was to make him sympathetic, but then nope, drowns him at sea.

The book ends with fletcher's death certificate and for family it just says "Unknown" and felt real dismissive, like I know he froze to death, drunk, on a NYC park bench, but it somehow hit me for real reading the coroner say "who cares" on a form of whether or not to notify anyone he died.

e: That elephant's face is cracking me up.

It's a sad way to end one's life, but I don't think his (surviving) family would have cared all that much:

quote:

Fletcher Jr. worked odd jobs to support the family; in 1930, he found his earnings missing, along with his father. He said his mother responded, "It's a small price to pay to be rid of the bum."

• Locked thread