Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

attackmole posted:

4 year ban is nuuuuuts. Would that be something that could be reduced/appealed? I know right now the 1-year is a joke because you show up, say "it was from my black market protein powder!!!" and get it reduced to 6 months but 4 years seems insane.

On the other hand, at least people can't say that weed and steroids have the same penalty now.

Don't do roids or face a 4 year ban from the UFC seems like a fair trade. The major problem is going to be cultivating a diverse field of PPV draws to account for the implications a 4 year ban would cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

attackmole posted:

4 year ban is nuuuuuts. Would that be something that could be reduced/appealed? I know right now the 1-year is a joke because you show up, say "it was from my black market protein powder!!!" and get it reduced to 6 months but 4 years seems insane.

On the other hand, at least people can't say that weed and steroids have the same penalty now.

They have hammered home in this press conference that everyone deserves due process but I don't think it's going to be the Hermes Franca thing where you show up and act sad and get your suspension cut in half. But still it sounds like they're going to have to rely a little bit on the commissions to actually enforce the suspensions or whatever. It's going to be a complicated legal issue if the NSAC can honor UFC suspensions.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Thank you for posting these. If they actually stick with these changes they sound like really good moves.

There's going to be a lot of legal wrangling at the beginning because for the stuff the UFC is advocating the commissions do, there's going to have to be like eight meetings where the comissions get around to actually implementing it, and for the stuff the UFC is doing on their own they're going to have to rewrite all their fighter contracts to make the test results binding. Once they're past that teething stage and everything's in place, though, this is definitely going to drastically reduce the use of PEDs. It'll be really interesting to see how the fighting landscape changes.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I also think it's funny that they keep challenging Bellator to match their drug testing which is hilarious because they operate so heavily on Indian resorts with basically nothing

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

They have hammered home in this press conference that everyone deserves due process but I don't think it's going to be the Hermes Franca thing where you show up and act sad and get your suspension cut in half. But still it sounds like they're going to have to rely a little bit on the commissions to actually enforce the suspensions or whatever. It's going to be a complicated legal issue if the NSAC can honor UFC suspensions.

Franca didn't get his sentence reduced. Sherk did because he lied and said his supplements were tainted.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wish my supplements would be tainted sometimes, I want to get all jacked up from my protein powder

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
It would be cool if you could get your sentence reduced by snitching on other users. Not that I condone snitching, but I would have fun watching it happen on Fight Pass.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

It would be cool if you could get your sentence reduced by snitching on other users. Not that I condone snitching, but I would have fun watching it happen on Fight Pass.

Jon Jones will be that nerd in the front of the class, straining to raise his hand as hard as he can. "OOH OOH OOH RIGHT HERE, CALL ON ME!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I'm hoping this involves a bus painted red, white and blue like Lex Luger's call to action. A patriotic bus that travels the world making people piss in cups.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

fatherdog posted:

There's going to be a lot of legal wrangling at the beginning because for the stuff the UFC is advocating the commissions do, there's going to have to be like eight meetings where the comissions get around to actually implementing it, and for the stuff the UFC is doing on their own they're going to have to rewrite all their fighter contracts to make the test results binding. Once they're past that teething stage and everything's in place, though, this is definitely going to drastically reduce the use of PEDs. It'll be really interesting to see how the fighting landscape changes.

The way I read it the other reason for wanting commission bans versus UFC bans is that if the commission bans someone for a year and the UFC bans them for 4 years they'll just go to another promotion after the year is up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The way I read it the other reason for wanting commission bans versus UFC bans is that if the commission bans someone for a year and the UFC bans them for 4 years they'll just go to another promotion after the year is up.

Not if they redo all their fighter contracts as they come up for renewal.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

UFC stressed that they aren't doing the testing or punishment. They will hire a third party to test, but the punishment still has to come from the Athletic Commissions.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fozzy The Bear posted:

UFC stressed that they aren't doing the testing or punishment. They will hire a third party to test, but the punishment still has to come from the Athletic Commissions.

yep, the UFC doesn't want to be the one actually imposing the ban, because when the fighter inevitably appeals it would be easier if they had to fight the system of an athletic commission where they have all the legal kinks worked out and the probability of overturning the ban is low. If the UFC is trying to keep a fighter from working all by themselves without the legal framework of a AC, then they are open to lawsuits.

That is going to be the case anyway for the very, very few times when there is no AC and they have to self-regulate, but if a AC is available, its easier to let them do it and have all the other AC's reciprocate and recognize the ban

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I wish my supplements would be tainted sometimes, I want to get all jacked up from my protein powder

There's a gov website that lists all the banned supplements. Just buy those.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I wonder if this means they'll get GSP to unretire

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Georges St-Pierre ‏@GeorgesStPierre posted:

Very happy to learn about the UFC announcing a new comprehensive random PED testing.

Clearly a big step in the right direction for our sport.

Can't wait to get more details about the actual protocol, 3rd party testing agency and new sanctions.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

*GSP awkwardly tries to hide erection*

Dee biggest challenge of my coreeeer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So I take it that number of fighters in the UFC is gonna be a lot shorter than 585 by year's end

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Chris James 2 posted:

So I take it that number of fighters in the UFC is gonna be a lot shorter than 585 by year's end

it will actually balloon to 863 after the UFC signs a couple hundred nobodies due fights falling out
most of them will be chosen by entering common names into the sherdog fight finder and choosing guys with no picture

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MysteryNad posted:

it will actually balloon to 863 after the UFC signs a couple hundred nobodies due fights falling out
most of them will be chosen by entering common names into the sherdog fight finder and choosing guys with no picture

I assumed this is how Sean Shelby finds flyweights.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

hahaha Ronda R: "The drug testing I underwent at 14 or 16 was more stringent than what I had in MMA."

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

triplexpac posted:

They are

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Yeah they don't contain any actual protein

I heard chael talking on the radio on my way home that the new out of contest testing is going to cost around 15 million annually out of pocket for the UFC. Does that seem about right or will it be higher/lower?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Yeah they don't contain any actual protein

I heard chael talking on the radio on my way home that the new out of contest testing is going to cost around 15 million annually out of pocket for the UFC. Does that seem about right or will it be higher/lower?

If it were anywhere close to that they would have said so instead of saying "several million". It's not in the UFC's best interests, PR-wise, to undersell the amount of money they're devoting to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I used to work in a store that sold supplements. Usually just before the FDA flagged something as being tainted, it would fly off the shelves. I remember once a guy bought like 9 bottles of some 'natural testosterone enhancer' at $100 each; then later that afternoon we got a notice to pull it from the shelves immediately.

• Locked thread