Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh hey Mills, one thing I noticed when I was modding my first game - closing it up in Votefinder gave me a reminder to list it myself on the SA Mafia Wiki, but I can't seem to edit that at all or even create an ID on there unless I'm approved somehow. So all the Auspol ones seem to be getting left off the master list. (it'd be nice to have a special sublist only for Auspol ones too, actually)

Are you able to get any of our resident Mafia nuts in on that?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mills posted:

I can edit the Wiki but I'm lazy. If you make me a list of the threads, I can get it done.

cool, I'll PM it later once I have some time to go back through a bunch of the last ones.

Or anyone who's modded one themselves can just PM me the link to make sure their games don't get missed. I'll send one big list to Mills once it's ready, so he can just edit them all on there in one visit.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Good morning, guys. I unfortunately had some real work to do for once! However, I have been thinking about who would actually be a decent choice for a D1 turbolynch.

We have a few unknown factors here from new posters, but it would be nice to see some actual input from them first, I think. So I'd be most in favor of lynching anyone who's just too quiet. Or on the other hand, possibly these two:

Anidav - I agree it would be a fitting full-circle tribute, to lynch him not for his annoying roleclaims confusing everyone, but to celebrate how dangerous and successful those claims have now become.

Mills - Purely for tradition's sake

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This isalready looking less like a Mafia game, and more like Urban Smurf on a treasure hunt

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

Mills name contains 5 letters
His tag contains 4 lines
5 - 4 = 1
5 - 1 = 4

His game finished 2 days ago
4 x 2 = 8

= 48

48 is the number of times Mills has been lynched for being scum.

This is number 49.

But to the contrary, 49 is an Angel Number

Mills is Town.

Mithranderp posted:

Bifauxnen throwing out weird/obscure references (I'm assuming that's a reference to something) to confuse us.

haaahaha, and here I thought you were playing more serious early on, what with the helpful reminder of avoiding roleclaims

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

The fact that you put analysis into this lovely day one post implies that you are putting in a small effort to out-town the town.

Auspol town always gets into a shitflinging frenzy on day one where a large majority of the posts are jabs, jokes or meaningless. You however have come to stand out and try being a helpful town on day 1.

You are either reading too much into this or are scummy for the fact that you're trying to fish hard out of day one posts.

Framing the argument is a key part of a mafia team, do it too early and too often and you will get lynched.

Oh, how I have been there.

I do think it's worth trying to poke people and go fishing for little tells like that though, even on D1. If only because there's not much else you can do, besides the usual joking around. Even if the original tell is pretty bogus, the reaction that follows may be more revealing instead.

Using it to "frame the argument" and pushing it way too seriously for D1 might be going overboard and be a scumtell though, I agree. However, this reply sounds like a very toned-down OMGUS to me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Before this lynch train gets really rolling into hammertime here, how are you Mafia newbies doing? Maybe tell us a bit about yourselves, I guess? (Note: this does not include roleclaims, maybe like, your outlook on life, if you like beetroot and/or pineapple on your burgers, or something innocuous like that.)

Oh, about Urban Smurf, he's a poster in this thread I've been following, about a real-life treasure hunt that's been unsolved for 30 years. He pretty much does straight-up impressions of A Beautiful Mind. Worth a read, there's one reasonable guy at least who's onto a very good lead, and about to go digging soon. (once the snow lets up there in the States, at least)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

As much as Anidav might be a great candidate for the D1 lynch we're looking at a pretty bland setup for D2 if no one's going to talk about some other options. There should be some more fights going on by now! Is this what happens when I stop flinging around like 5 votes a day? Peace and harmony?!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

Joke killing me is anti-town a death that will mean nothing. For one, yeah I know you guys from the last game have a loose voting finger to vote for me where you failed to do so before but do you really thing Gaspy would make it that easy for you? To make me scum twice in a row? Realistically, it isn't the case.

Look elsewhere or make a bad day one move. the choice is yours.

##unvote

-Last post of the day-

Starts off promising, but the gambler's fallacy stuff isn't really a good argument. Okay, Gaspy has specially cast a few particular role abilities in his last game - which doesn't guarantee it's the case this game - but that's a whole separate issue to picking the scum. Picking out certain people to be scum, rather than doing it randomly, is usually a really, really, bad idea. The idea is anybody could be scum. Even if it's some guy who's been scum the last 5 games in a row. It could happen again, you never know. You just don't know! :supaburn:

For instance, if I was running the game and rolled Anidav in the scumteam, rather than actually undo it so people could start guessing whether or not it was fair to make him easy-D1-target scum, I'd balance it out by adding on another (random!) scum instead, or maybe boosting the rest of the scumteam's abilities.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

okay, I'm back home now everybody. My quietness today has been part being busy at work, (which is normally quite unusual for me), and part just needing to chillax a bit more after the last few games. I was getting a bit burnt out from the last Transformers game being such a marathon, and the last one - well. That was pretty tense for a long time! But I'm curious to see now, how a more relaxed style may or may not work for me.

I was starting to think Anidav's same old: "No, town you are making a grave mistake!" routine actually did sound really scummy after all. But if he's scum, he won't get nightkilled, (er, at least not by the scum), so now I think it would be fine to keep him around for D2 to see what he comes up with for his roleclaim, and then we can probaly lynch him with more confidence.

As for Coq, however:

SKY COQ posted:

I tossed around a couple of options as I was putting together that post but wasn't really convinced on any. Mills is, as ever, a good option, and one I'd consider. Bif not voting yet is par for the course, but she's been a bit quiet. And Old Dirty Cumbags is a dark horse.

Not on D1, it's not. If you're not actually scum, it may be worth voting you just since your powers of observation seem to be on the fritz

##vote SKY COQ

fake edit: I saw more votes coming in for Coq while I was writing this, but please notice the length and that I meant to have this in before a bandwagon. I'll still join it though, as I think going for someone other than Anidav (for tonight, at least) may be the better choice

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Consider that Gaspy has said in the OP that "Transformers have cool abilities, and so do you." This could likely be another role madness game, where the roles are of greatly varying utility, but they're spread out quite a bit. So to anyone who has a role and is getting wrongfully lynched in the future, consider if your role sucks or not, and if it's really worth freaking out and revealing everything the moment momentum turns your way

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

So yeah it's like half the player list, so :shrug:

I would be happy with getting a lynching on a lurker instead of either Coq or Anidav. I think they both deserve the attention they're getting, but that'll just leave us some more business to get to on D2. Are enough people around to switch your votes in under minutes, though? I guess it'll have to be the other way around - see who's still lurking by D2.

Anidav has gone a bit further with pushing the roleclaim, but both of you have already let the cats out of the bag to say "oh gosh, my role is just so important and useful," so I'll ask both of you - do you believe your role is probably worth keeping around more than what the other guy might have? Keep in mind that roles may not exactly be uncommon here anyway.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

*under 40 minutes, went to go check and I had to change it but deleted it again by accident somehow

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mills posted:

na, dont do this

I was hoping for a sort of King Solomon solution.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

All right, might as well stick with option 1. Did anyone else have anything to add? I'll switch votes to Anidav, just paranoid that someone will drop their next-to-last vote the same time as me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mills posted:

I think lynching Anidav will be a mistake.

Like that, that sounds like an important thing to add!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Well, it's getting close enough now, looks like there aren't enough takers for Team Coq

##vote Anidav

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Small Keating posted:

Anidav is annoying as gently caress, let's not deny it, but are we really going to pick Anidav over Coq, who has posted nothing except "oh, it could be anyone, maybe Anidav, Bif, maybe Mills, maybe Cumburgs" then, "ooh Beet, what a good suggestion someone else has made, let's jump on that!", then nothing except flapping and white noise. He is as scummy as can be. Why trade what is likely to be a boring old town lynch on Anidav for potentially flustered scum?

I agree that Coq may be the better choice, but isn't trying to flip it now looking more like angling for a no-lynch?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

so Coq's looking way better for a lynch mob now, but I'd like to look at this as well:

whats for dinner posted:

Sorry, coaching newbies.

##vote anidav

I'll effort post on this tomorrow morning

looking forward to hearing this soon. it better be good, when you were absent for hours to finally swoop in and conveniently make that decision only 3 minutes before hammer, right before I could switch to Coq.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Milky Moor posted:

Alright, so, who protected Tirade?

##vote Tirade

could it be a matter of you being blocked rather than Tirade being protected?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Starscream... was town? :psyduck: Everything I knew was a lie.

same here, I started reading that flip thinking, "Haha! Suck it Starscream! ...wait, what?"

WFD, that sounds surprisingly reasonable - time will tell if that was your true intent, but in any case it's still Coq on the block for now if it was him you were trying to protect. I'm also interested in this Tirade business though, as the day is young

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Milky you could've been blocked since you weren't saying much and it looked like you were hiding something juicy (and cause Coq who claimed to have something real loudly is likely scum)

Tirade getting protected (by town anyway) does seem really unlikely though, as he hadn't said much of anything either, blocking you seems more likely.

buuuuut, you could also just be making that up, who knows

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SKY COQ posted:

Also worth noting: if there was a townie with a nightkill, I'd almost certainly be dead.

Those On My Left posted:

Could be a nightkill that works only on even nights.

or, they could have figured you'd get lynched anyway, so why waste their power on someone that the town already had their eyes on and easily could take care of the next day? The handy thing about the vig power is you don't need to worry anymore about who's voting where. This way they could also wait to hear you try and explain your ~super helpful role~ first.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm not going to actually OMGUS vote for you cause unlike those two, I'm not nearly as fussed about being wrongfully lynched. But I think your saying my posting smells like last game couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I'm experimenting with a very different approach so far, on top of the work thing.

So if anything gets rolling on me, after I flip town I'd like you all to look at how TOML was wringing his hands so much about Anidav vs Coq, and getting that switch right around the 3 minute mark, coming in after hammer. I was thinking about yesterday, and how with an easy lynch target on Anidav, scum would not have to stick their necks out yesterday. But once the Anidav lynch was well established, scum may have been looking to get some points for being careful and cautious, or wanting to distance themselves from being bandwaggoners.

Freudian Slip also deserves some more careful looking into, since Mills made a brief case on him before chasing the SKY COQ scent. Scum might be hoping that it now gets dropped. He got in his Anidav vote early, then never bothered making more noise about anything or weighing in on the alternative last night, waiting to check in until today once it's all over.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Unfortunatley for you all, you no longer have scumbif with full knowledge attempting to correct any of your obvious mistakes in an attempt to prove my undying towniness. You're stuck with regular ol' townbif, who has imperfect information, so my attempts to be helpful may be more flawed.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gwynplaine posted:

Part of the problem is that even when I suspect something, I can't find the words to explain it. Something neglected to mention is that my suspicion of MIlls was based on the idea that his actions were some sort of elaborate triple bluff.

I honestly think Mills is too lazy to bother with that poo poo

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

The buildup was way too fast on anidav, and then the votes switched way too easily to coq. It's hard to avoid throwing a scum under the bus on d1 if there's no other alternative (rip me last game). But Anidav's massive flameout, yet again, meant that it would have been easy enough holding a vote on him on the grounds of him being a poo poo townie. Instead we saw coq get brought from nowhere right up to one or two votes from being hammered in what, half an hour? Unless we had almost all town convinced that coq was the better vote, it means at least some scum flipped off anidav the townie to coq the scum, which is incredibly risky when lynching Anidav was easy enough to do.

I am also getting concerned about this, especially in light of FS checking in to say:

Freudian Slip posted:

I think you will find that Coq has made a not too subtle role claim for a certain role. I did think it was convenient that he investigated one of the dead overnight. I assume he chose Mills as that is who I would have. Unless someone else has the same role I am happy to keep him around for today.

If you do have the same role - please don't reveal until tomorrow unless you can nail another scum (apart from Coq)

this could be translated as: We know he's town, and don't care about him investigating anything tonight, cause he won't see the next morning now that we suspect what he is. Might as well stick up for him now, to get some Helpful Townie Points after the flip.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hmm, is Coq getting all buddy-buddy now that I'm wavering and choosing a different target than him, and just boosting up my still pretty half-baked theory? Or is he right to support it, cause I'm actually onto something and FS doesn't like it? I wonder

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah bif that really doesn't make sense at all. It's a huge leap of logic. Why wouldn't scum just let us lynch him today and let them target someone else tonight?!?

Well, yes that is a weak spot. I'm certainly not sure of it, but that's the first thought I had when I had my eyes on FS anyway, and that's what he came up with. And to be fair, no one has bothered casting one vote on Coq yet all day. It's certainly not as sure of a thing as it looked at the very start of the day. The scum might not want to risk their necks trying to get the lynch fully started up again.

Especially after Tirade's post. I thought that post only helped seal the idea that if Coq was really scum, we might not have had such a close call there, almost switching right over from Anidav.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kat Delacour posted:

Tirade tried to put some breaks on the Anidav turbo which makes no sense as a Scum move.

I've done it. It's an easy way to try and get townie points just based on thinking about the pure game mechanics (let's wait and get more info, guys! Cause that's good for the town to not stop discussion!), rather than making any actual opinions on people's cases.

Er, not to throw shade on Tirade cause it is a good townie thing to do as well. And I liked that last post of his. Just saying, if you see that in general, it's not worth thinking it clears somebody. It can make sense as a scum move

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gwynplaine posted:

Given how incredibly quiet they are and how they're not voting, do we have anything to lose in lynching bbq?

Rightly or wrongly, I'm not suspicious of Bif at all.

NEVER SAY THAT, THAT IS THE MOST SUSS THING EVER!

##vo-

Oh wait, that didn't work out well with newbie Avshalom.

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm not sure if mr bbq would even notice if he was lynched

Haha, this just might be my favorite argument of the day. But hiddenmovement, make sure you don't ever edit your posts in Mafia.

(It looks like he only edited to add new information at the bottom)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Freudian Slip posted:

People may not yet be voting for Coq - but he is currently on the top of a lot of people's poo poo list. If Coq is town and I was town I would be wanting to encourage these thoughts - not discourage. Evidence of people stating today that they think Coq is suss

Come to think of it though, since Tirade and Coq were moving together on trying to vote Beet yesterday, that might help explain why Tirade's come in now with this great theory for why Coq is town.

It did sound like it made some sense, though. Let me try and think it through a bit more carefully. Tirade theory is basically: Anidav was already a super easy lynch for the scum.

So if Coq is also town: Scum wouldn't have had to bother trying to rush onto Coq instead. This would imply that much of that fast bandwagon shift was townie-led. Some of the handwringing afterwards could have been scum then, and when things got close at the wire, it wouldn't have really mattered to them who got it. (This is why I was looking at TOML's hammer behavior for a sec, if Anidav and Coq turn out to both be town)

If Coq is scum: Also implies that much of the fast bandwagon shift to Coq was townie-led. There's trying to not move in a bloc, but derailing a good easy lynch to swing things onto your own teammate is a whole nother level. Scum would have been very surprised by the fast move and wondering what to do, trying to hold steady on Anidav without looking too obvious about it.

I'll flesh this out a little more in a sec once I can actually see who fits where.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

FS what did we JUST say about editing posts?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

George is gettin' frustrated.

Oh yay, you did get my joke about the kung pao chicken! :buddy:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Okay, here is the rundown of how things switched from Anidav to Coq, and almost made it. The theory seems to suggest that whether or not Coq is scum and actually a better choice than Anidav at all, the change in momentum was townie-led.

First vote for Coq was around noon, and a total jokepost:

Anidav posted:

SCUM HERE
##vote SKY COQ

Nothing was happening on him till Beet made a case on him 5 hours later:

Matthew Beet posted:

"Hi I'm Coq, I post wishy washy poo poo like this to try and cover my arse if the lynchee flips town. I do this because I'm concerned people will think I'm too late jumping in on a lynch if i jump on now. I don't realise that in doing so, this does the opposite of what i wanted and draws attention to me. You can tell this post is white noise, because I don't offer anything of worth up and instead ask everyone else to make suggestions, giving the illusion i'm helping."

Coq got prompted for some more input then ended up voting Beet, which looked OMGUS-y and Splode agreed it was quite defensive. Mith, known town, thought the Tirade collusion was also suss. Mills, known town, cast a new vote for Coq. (which Tirade teased him a bit about coq-ing up the vote) Small Keating followed with the next vote on Coq. Then Anidav, but I think his original vote might have still been on Coq anyway? But anyway, he makes for another known town on that bandwagon. I joined in as well around that point. Then Old Dirty Cumburgs followed. Milky next, saying he'd vote for "whoever on Day 1".

Coq and Anidav are now dead tied at 6 votes each. black_tangled then suggested this was a bandwagon engineered by Anidav, super shady. Hmmm.

Splode joined the Coq side at this point, putting him in the lead 7 to 6. Mith, known town, now joined with vote 8.

TOML weighed in now with a vote for Anidav instead. (Coq leading 8 to 7) Tirade unvoted, (he'd been sitting with a useless vote on ODC before), suggesting both Anidav and Coq were town. Kat defended the vote held on Anidav. Coq voted for Anidav (naturally enough), Tirade and Gwyn join also, with Gwyn making strange arguments about Mills being "up to something" or teamed up with other posters all the while.

It got up to 9 Anidav/8 Coq, and I switched my vote to Anidav with 15 minutes left on the clock. From here it got right down to the wire, but known town Mills was actively working out numbers on how a switch to Coq could still be possible with me and Beet, and allegedly coin-flipped Gwyn being willing to switch. TOML took this moment to re-affirm intent to stick with Anidav. WFD and hiddenmovement then rush in at the last second to hammer. (this could easily be interpreted either way)

===========//===========

If Coq is scum, all attempts to hold on Anidav after the switch to Coq become quite suspect. I've underlined these areas.

If Coq is town, scum wouldn't really care which of them got lynched, but they are probably not well represented in the earlier group of posters that led the new Coq bandwagon out of nowhere. Once two neck-and-neck candidates were established, they might have preferred to avoid a no-lynch in this situation. Scum would have then tried to just not look too out of place, whichever side won out.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

If Coq is scum, all attempts to hold on Anidav after the switch to Coq become quite suspect. I've underlined these areas.

Hm, maybe I should've underlined my flop too to be fair, except I know I was just trying to avoid the no-lynch and didn't think this kind of last-minute shuffling was really a good idea to rely on. Will mention it now for the sake of transparency.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kat Delacour posted:

Post history shows

This was his last vote.

That was after the hammer, though.

It would be really nice if we could prove now that Coq is scum, cause it would make my effortpost above a lot easier to work from. But if he's town, it gets a lot murkier.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hey Kat, I just noticed your quote on me makes a very strange cut. The (this could easily be interpreted either way) applied to WFD and hiddenmovement rushing in with only 3 minutes left, not to TOML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment. If Coq is scum, we got some real tasty data to look at from how things moved yesterday. But if he's town, what else have we got to go on? If he's town, Tirade's theory is a bit inconvenient for them. But after looking around on who would be good to vote for I think FS still looks a bit suss.

He posted little of note on D1, got on the easy Anidav train around 4pm. then lied low the rest of the night, not daring to weigh in on any of the debate between voting him and Coq. Then this morning, he tries to weigh in on the nightkills:

Freudian Slip posted:

As for Mills, I think the scum decided that he was too dangerous to keep around. I will have to look at Mith though. But are we sure it was a second scum kill? Did someone Bus Mith and Tirade?

Going to have a look through Miths posts now.

Freudian Slip posted:

Just went through Mith's posts and they were fairly helpful and few were white noise.

While she flipped between Anidav to Coq, she made it clear that she wanted to get a D1 lynch.

I don't believe she would have been a target for a town vigilante. So she was either killed by scum or she was bussed and killed accidentally by a vigilante.

Just to clarify my post above. I don't think if Coq was scum that he would get Mills killed as it would be too obvious and Coq is usually quite smart. The only one that Mills was targeting that may have panicked may have been Gwyn, and that would only have been the case if all the scum were noobies and I think that is fairly unlikely considering he amount of veterans playing.

This is why I think scum probably just killed Mills as they were worried he would start picking them out the further we went on.

Conveniently leaving out the part where Mills briefly tried to case him. Maybe Coq's not the one who had to worry about a Mills kill looking too obvious. I got no idea what could be going on with Mith, but whichever one was the scum pick, FS might be trying to confuse the issue.

Freudian Slip posted:

Either way Coq is a deadman walking. On the balance of things he is probably town, so lets not help scum by lynching him today.

This is the sticking point. If Coq has an investigative role, they really should want him dead. Preferably by lynch instead of having to worry about nighkilling him, when he could be protected. But they have much less to fear now in the way of being watched. So maybe that's it - they figure if he's not lynched today, they can easily watch him tonight to find his protection. In a large game like this, that might be well worth it in the long run to take one more night of risk. Just throw one scum under the bus once they're found out. And by buddying up to him today in the meantime, they'll look real rosy for sticking up for him now by the time he does flip. Maybe they won't even be investigated by him tonight when they're his staunch defenders! TOML has just weighed in on the same note. If my TOML-handwringing theory is right, he could be trying to look innocent to Coq as well.

• Locked thread